PDA

View Full Version : [Item] It's the only way to travel...

Grey Knight
2006-12-11, 11:30 PM
Umbrella of Flight

Magical aura: Strong evocation
Caster level: 15th
Requirements: Craft Wondrous Item, telekinetic sphere (with optional safety measures, also: feather fall)
Price: 480,000 gp (optional safety measures: +1800 gp)
Weight: 2 lb
Appearance: umbrella (price 2 gp, weight 2 lb)

When the umbrella is held open by a creature, it creates an effect around itself like that produced by telekinetic sphere (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/telekineticSphere.htm), typically with a diameter of 5 ft, although such an umbrella can be created with any diameter up to 1 ft/creator level. The sphere is arranged such that it just encompasses the top of the umbrella (i.e. the "wide" end), with the bulk of the sphere below the handle.

The umbrella and its associated sphere behave just like a telekinetic sphere except that movement is effected by pulling - deliberately - the umbrella's handle in the appropriate direction.

Optional safety measures:
The item can optionally be crafted with a safety measure to protect against unwanted slips, trips, disintegrations and other little annoyances.
Up to 15 passengers (of Medium size or less) are protected as if under the effect of a feather fall (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/featherFall.htm) spell. A falling (ex-)passenger is protected for 15 rounds of falling, or until they land. Dismounting from the umbrella in a normal fashion ends the protection.
An umbrella of flight made with this safety measure costs an extra 1800 gp, and requires the feather fall spell in its construction.

This item can be used in a normal umbrella-holding stance, or by "riding" in it like a little boat, depending on whether you are a fan of Mary Poppins or Rupert Bear.

Now my assistants will demonstrate the second of those methods:
http://greyfire.org/picture_library/rupert88.jpg

Simius
2006-12-12, 06:33 AM
Now that is an awesome magic item. The only problem I see is the market price. I don't think many people will buy a magic umbrella for 480,000 gp, if they can buy a Carpet of Flying for 20,000.

edit: ah, right. I didn't read the part about the Resilient Sphere bit.
I stand corrected.

Grey Knight
2006-12-12, 07:13 AM
Check the spell description, though; it makes passengers near-weightless and provides a force bubble to protect you.

Turned on yet?

Jack_Simth
2006-12-12, 07:22 AM
At a glance, he used guidelines:
Caster Level * Spell Level * DF * Type = 15*8*2*2000=480,000 (which pretty much makes it an Epic item, by the way)

And as for why one of those over a carpet of flying?

Well, if you're worried about something hitting you in transit, that thing basically takes care of anything other than:

Dispel effects (Dispel Magic, Greater Dispel Magic, Disjunction, et cetera)
Disintigration effects (and even then, it absorbes the first itself)
Teleportation effects.
DM fiat.

There's little like Walls of Force on every side to make you more secure.

Edit:
Yet, at the same time, with the spell being limited to 30 feet/round, Teleport is usually more secure.

Grey Knight
2006-12-12, 09:21 AM
Yet, at the same time, with the spell being limited to 30 feet/round, Teleport is usually more secure.

Ah, but even the flashiest teleport can't beat it for style. :smallwink:

Triaxx
2006-12-12, 07:06 PM
Disintigration effects (and even then, it absorbes the first itself)

Hope you have a parachute...

AmberVael
2006-12-12, 07:41 PM
Maybe it should come with a contingent Feather Fall plan? :smallbiggrin:

Fizban
2006-12-12, 09:01 PM
At that level, every magic item you own should have a ring of feather falling effect built in.

Tangent: the amount of cheap and practically essential effects any high level character should have at all times is staggering. I was just looking through complete mage the other day, and say three items a caster should never, ever, be without, and they could all be combined into an existing one for under 10,000gp. Insane.

Collin152
2006-12-12, 10:42 PM
Of course you do! Its an umbrella! An umbrella! Thats already opened!

Jack_Simth
2006-12-13, 04:01 AM
Hope you have a parachute...Well, yes, or something along those lines. Of course, if you're high enough to make one of these, you can just skim the tops of the trees and deal with a fall. 60 feet or so isn't likely to kill a Wiz-15.

Triaxx
2006-12-13, 07:51 AM
If I'm skimming the tree tops, I can just grab one as I plummet.

mikeejimbo
2006-12-13, 09:22 AM
Maybe it should come with a contingent Feather Fall plan? :smallbiggrin:

That's 20,000 gold extra. :smalltongue:

Grey Knight
2006-12-13, 09:43 AM
That's 20,000 gold extra. :smalltongue:

You could just throw in a single-use feather falling protective item with it; if you only need it for when the sphere gets disintegrated, it doesn't have to work forever.

Maybe I should go price that as an "optional extra"...

mikeejimbo
2006-12-13, 09:47 AM
You could just throw in a single-use feather falling protective item with it; if you only need it for when the sphere gets disintegrated, it doesn't have to work forever.

Maybe I should go price that as an "optional extra"...

I can see the commercial now, with small text at the bottom stating that it's shown with extras included.

Grey Knight
2006-12-13, 10:00 AM
I can see the commercial now, with small text at the bottom stating that it's shown with extras included.

"Sunroof included. Metallic colours cost extra. Visit your local umbrella dealership today for a quotation."

EDIT: I added 15 rounds' worth of feather fall protection for an extra 1800 gp. Opinionation may now resume.

Collin152
2006-12-22, 06:40 PM
So, is this useful outside of traveling? Or a a shield, really. Like, offensively?

Neek
2006-12-23, 12:52 PM
I'm still waiting for "But wait... there's more!"

firepup
2006-12-23, 01:09 PM
But wait there's more, call in the next ten rounds and you can get a free Umbrella of Flight Case.

I'm, sorry couldn't resist

Collin152
2006-12-23, 03:27 PM
Oooh! Is it a +3 case of containment?

Fizban
2006-12-25, 05:16 AM
So, is this useful outside of traveling? Or a a shield, really. Like, offensively?
Well, it's a telekinetic sphere, it's a solid sphere of force on all sides. Kinda the most shielding shield there is.

SilveryCord
2006-12-25, 07:11 AM
It's funny because one of my characters is a bard 16 that acts exactly like Mary Poppins.

Gimmegimmegimme.

ArmorArmadillo
2006-12-25, 04:33 PM
Is the folded umbrella useful as a weapon?
Perhaps a +2 Light Lance?
+1 Keen Rapier?
+1 Dancing Heavy Mace?

Neek
2006-12-26, 03:05 AM
Perhaps an Umbrella of Poking +1?

But wait there's more, call in the next ten rounds and you can get a free Umbrella of Flight Case.

I'm, sorry couldn't resist

That's a good one--I was expecting a free potion of feather fall. :D