PDA

View Full Version : WOW Warlock

edsaurus
2013-07-26, 06:06 AM
What about making a good WoW-inspired Warlock?
I know that there is the World of Warcraft roleplaying game, but the Warlock in it doesn't feel really like the Warlock, and it itsn't updated.

We could make a new class, starting from that, or create new spells for the new skills of the Warlock.

Deepbluediver
2013-07-26, 11:07 AM
What about making a good WoW-inspired Warlock?
I know that there is the World of Warcraft roleplaying game, but the Warlock in it doesn't feel really like the Warlock, and it itsn't updated.

We could make a new class, starting from that, or create new spells for the new skills of the Warlock.

There's already a class called "Warlock" in 3.5, and I think 4E. Which version where you planning on building it for?

Also, what would the focus of your class be? In 3.5, Wizards are famous for being able to do everything, and a blaster (direct damage focused) wizard is usually considered one of the weaker builds. Also, 1/3 of the WoW Warlocks main features, Damage-over-time spells (DoTs) are generally much harder to track and not usually worth it in tabletop games, because you don't have a computer to handle everything for you.
If we start from the existing chassis, what about it would you like to change?

There needs to be more detail on which direction you want to take this in before we can assist you.

Edit: Or do you intend to rebuild the Warlock for the WoW RPG? I'm not familiar with the rules of that, though I hear its a lot like standard D&D.

edsaurus
2013-07-26, 12:56 PM
It is like the standard DnD.
I know there is a Warlock class in DnD, but it isn't like the WoW one, they are completely different.

Do you think it's better to create new spells to emulate the ones from the Warlock and make a Wizard variant, or to create a really new class?

Debihuman
2013-07-26, 02:22 PM
World of Warcraft RPG by Sword & Sorcery is OGL 3.5. S What's wrong with the WoW warlock? Or are you just wanting as standard 3.5 warlock in a WoW game?

Debby

Deepbluediver
2013-07-26, 03:32 PM
It is like the standard DnD.
I know there is a Warlock class in DnD, but it isn't like the WoW one, they are completely different.

Do you think it's better to create new spells to emulate the ones from the Warlock and make a Wizard variant, or to create a really new class?

So you want a WoW-Warlock to play in D&D 3.5, correct?

I guess what I'm asking here is: what about that version of a warlock do you like that you feel you aren't getting with the current class or classes?

If you play a wizard, you can take the Improved Familiar feat and run around with an Imp at your side. Tailor your spell selection to includes lots of [Fire] spells. Use Planar Binding to wrangle other demons into working for you.

Is that sufficient? There's a lot of published material already out there; before we can suggest anything, whether its new spells or a whole class just an existing build, we need to know what it is you want. And I'm not understanding what it is you feel you need. Just saying "like the WoW Warlock" doesn't help; like how?

I've played WoW, feel free to use whatever terminology you want, but be more descriptive.

LordErebus12
2013-07-26, 03:47 PM
im guessing he wants to throw out the 3.5 warlock, and make one entirely based off of what makes a WoW Warlock tick.

WoW Warlocks are renowned for their damage over time (DoT) spells, sinister Shadow magic, summoning demonic minions, and their ability to wreak havoc with destructive fire spells.

Will it run off of a mana source? the big thing about WoW warlocks is they can convert health into mana.

ngilop
2013-07-26, 06:24 PM
I have a self made WoW Warlock class somewhere.

I too looked at the WoW rpg and was completely disappointed. it has ZERo of the warlocks abilities that you find in game and everything is just standard D&D names with WoW lore tagged in so to speak.

BUt its only a classic WoW Warlock, so you will only see what abilities it has when the warlock was in classic.

I took a lot from the EQ RPG ( the one that actually captur a MMO game perfectly by the way using d20 as a rulesbase) on how mana and spells known/readied should work. As soon as I can remmber where it is /find it . I'll start a write up.

edsaurus
2013-07-26, 06:48 PM
Thank you so much ;3

LordErebus12
2013-07-26, 06:54 PM
I have a self made WoW Warlock class somewhere.

I too looked at the WoW rpg and was completely disappointed. it has ZERo of the warlocks abilities that you find in game and everything is just standard D&D names with WoW lore tagged in so to speak.

BUt its only a classic WoW Warlock, so you will only see what abilities it has when the warlock was in classic.

I took a lot from the EQ RPG ( the one that actually captur a MMO game perfectly by the way using d20 as a rulesbase) on how mana and spells known/readied should work. As soon as I can remmber where it is /find it . I'll start a write up.

yay! ive been wanting it as well in my games, come to think of it.

Debihuman
2013-07-26, 07:20 PM
There are 2 Wow games for the 3e system. The Warcraft the Roleplaying Game for Revised Third Edition Roleplaying (copyright 2003 for 3.5). This book has warlock as a 10th level prestige class so I can see why you aren't fond of it. Warlock on page 97.

Thne there's the World of Warcraft the Roleplaying Game (published 2005, is OGL rather than under the D&D logo) and has warlock as a base class. Warlock on page 60.

Both editions were put out by Sword & Sorcery. I suspect the second one is much better since it's meant to better reflect the online game.

Debby

Kurtmuran
2013-07-26, 08:13 PM
maybe you look of this

http://www.pathfinderdb.com/character-options/classes/full-class-list/951-warlock

Southern Cross
2013-07-26, 08:20 PM
You could simulate a WOW warlock with the following wizard build.
The wizard takes Improved Familiar and Energy Substitution( fire) plus the Blistering Spell metamagic feat (From the PHB2, it adds +2 HP damage per spell level, and attackers who fail their save recieve a -2 penalty on their attacks and skill checks until the caster's next round.)
If the character is of evil alignment he (or she) should take the Corrupt Spell metamagic feat, so that half the spell damage becomes Untyped, and thus not blocked by any form of energy resistance. (Both Blistering Spell and Corrupt Spell are +1 level metamagic feats).
I'd also recommend Augment Summoning and Enhamced Shadow Reality ( which require Spell Focus (conjuration) and Spell Focus (illusion), respectively).

LordErebus12
2013-07-26, 08:39 PM
You could simulate a WOW warlock with the following wizard build.
The wizard takes Improved Familiar and Energy Substitution( fire) plus the Blistering Spell metamagic feat (From the PHB2, it adds +2 HP damage per spell level, and attackers who fail their save recieve a -2 penalty on their attacks and skill checks until the caster's next round.)
If the character is of evil alignment he (or she) should take the Corrupt Spell metamagic feat, so that half the spell damage becomes Untyped, and thus not blocked by any form of energy resistance. (Both Blistering Spell and Corrupt Spell are +1 level metamagic feats).
I'd also recommend Augment Summoning and Enhamced Shadow Reality ( which require Spell Focus (conjuration) and Spell Focus (illusion), respectively).

sadly it still lacks the ability to cast and move in a full round, since its using metamagic to give the warlock feel to all its spells, it lacks powerful familiars (besides the imp), and it cannot use DoT spells. id call it close, but it isnt an actual WoW warlock.

GunbladeKnight
2013-07-27, 01:21 AM
This (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=284355) was floating around a little bit ago.

Andion Isurand
2013-07-28, 07:49 PM
Here's some stuff I came up with to simulate the wow warlock a little bit.

Fel Sorcerer Spells (http://magerune.blogspot.com/2013/08/fel-sorcerer-spells.html)

Fel Minion Spell (http://magerune.blogspot.com/2013/07/new-sorcerer-spell.html)

Fel Sorcerer (http://magerune.blogspot.com/2013/07/sorcerer-subsitution-levels.html)

Designed to work together a little bit.

LordErebus12
2013-07-28, 08:34 PM
Shadow Bolt
Level: Warlock 1
Display: Auditory, Somatic
Calling Time: 1 standard action
Range: 120 ft. range
Target: one creature or object
Duration: Instantaneous
Saving Throw: None
Magic Resistance: Yes

Sends a shadowy bolt at one enemy, causing 1d6 damage per two warlock levels, dealing “untyped” shadow damage.

Harvest Life
Level: Warlock 3
Display: Auditory, Somatic
Calling Time: 1 standard action
Area: 30 feet - radius spread, centered on the warlock
Duration: Instantaneous
Saving Throw: Will half
Magic Resistance: Yes

Drains the life from all enemies within 45 ft., causing 1d8 "untyped" Shadow damage per two warlock levels to all enemies within range and restoring 1d4 hit points per two levels to the warlock.

Silva Stormrage
2013-07-28, 09:21 PM
You could attempt to do something along the lines of Jarian's warcraft classes if you want a complete port. Shaman (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=187533), Paladin (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=187214), Death Knight (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=186986), Rogue (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=187931). Would take a lot of work though.

edsaurus
2013-07-29, 09:21 AM
I exactly wanted to do something like that, I always hoped he did for me ahaha

edsaurus
2013-07-31, 03:48 AM
Any news, ngilop?

Southern Cross
2013-08-11, 05:53 AM
I'm now working on a version of the WOW Warlock that's a Pathfinder Wizard archetype.

edsaurus
2013-08-13, 09:39 AM
It would be really nice :3

ngilop
2013-08-13, 02:56 PM
OK, found it. now for the long arduous process of transcribing it into forum text LOL gimme a week at least.

edsaurus
2013-08-15, 04:45 AM
Of course!