PDA

View Full Version : He's not evil, I can change him (3.5 Race, PEACH)

Mithril Leaf
2013-07-31, 12:11 AM
Draco in Leather Pants
http://static.tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pub/images/canonfanondrako_3385.jpg
Some men are pretty. Some men are very pretty. Some men are so pretty that women will look beyond the fact that they spent the morning murdering orphans to see the non-existant good inside them. This is the third type.
The Draco in Leather Pants (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/DracoInLeatherPants) is the result of a villian hitting a terminal beauty point, where he is so attractive that his sins are forgiven, even though he continues to commit them. Any ordinary man can become a Draco, although when it occurs, he loses all previous racial traits, much like ascending to become an Elan.

Appearance
A Draco is an exceptionally pretty man that inspires lust in the hearts of nearly all females, even those of diefic status. He often spots long luscious silver hair, with leather straps running over his body in ways that seem vastly impractical. He stands between 5'10" and 6'4" tall.

Personality
The Draco in Leather Pants takes advantage of his innate charisma to manipulate those around him. There are differences between the severity of selfishness in every Draco however, one may simply get a discount by some subtle flirting at the bazaar, while another may charm his way past the guards investigating his orphanage arson.

Reproduction
Technically a Draco in Leather Pants is not so much born as made. However, occasionally at birth a human child is born as a Draco and may be subject to inherited templates as well as acquired ones.

Alignment
There is a definite trend towards evil, and a slight trend towards chaos present among Dracos as a whole however.

Religion
Dracos tend towards worship of those gods that offer them direct compensation, especially female gods of pleasure.

Language
The default language of the Draco in Leather Pants is Common. They have luxuriously deep voices.

-2 Str, -2 Dex, -2 Con, +6 Cha. Dracos in Leather Pants are nearly as beautiful as humans can be, but the leather straps cut off their circulation and restrict mobility.
Type: Humanoid
Medium size
Land speed 30 ft
He's Just Misunderstood (Ex): No matter what his actual alignment, a Draco counts as an exalted good character. The goddesses in charge of such matters just know that they could redeem his if they got the chance, and overlook all of his misdeeds. This also allows him exemption from the requirements of the paladin code and allows him to follow any female goddess as a cleric, despite his actual alignment.
Leather Augmentation (Ex): When using leather armor, a Draco in Leather Pants gains a +4 armor bonus to AC rather than a +2 bonus.
Languages: Automatic: Common. Bonus Languages: Any.
Favored class: Rogue.
LA: +0

New Feat:
This Isn't Even My Final Form!
Whenever a Draco in Leather Pants assumes a new form, his leather straps and unearthly prettiness come with him. He keeps all racial traits while under any effects that changes his form and can alter his new form beyond normal for the race for the purpose of making it more beautiful. Furthermore, he is now immune to all transmutation effects that aren't under his direct control, as that could mar his unearthly prettiness. Spells such as disintegration still deal damage, but do not turn him to dust if they kill him.

So tell me what you think.

HereBeMonsters
2013-07-31, 01:08 AM
This is hilarious and I could so use this on the girls in my gaming group because they are so part of that fandom.

Interesting idea for sure. I get the +6 needs to be offset but -4 Con is wickedly hard, why not 2 from all his physical stats?

Mithril Leaf
2013-07-31, 01:52 AM
This is hilarious and I could so use this on the girls in my gaming group because they are so part of that fandom.

Interesting idea for sure. I get the +6 needs to be offset but -4 Con is wickedly hard, why not 2 from all his physical stats?

That is something I considered. It's rough to balance +6 to a mental because you have to contemplate that casters will take it for that boost. If the consensus is it wouldn't be too bad, that's what I'll do. I'm going to need a bit more feedback on it though, too conflicted right now.

AuraTwilight
2013-07-31, 02:38 AM
I have to agree, -4 CON is waaay too steep. That's a drop from a 10 to a 6. -2 to all physical stats seems just right.

Ashtagon
2013-07-31, 02:58 AM
Rather than a straight ability boost, how about replace it with skill bonuses and a token ability boost? That sidesteps the uber-caster obvious choice.

Arcanist
2013-07-31, 03:15 AM
Oh I'm so gonna take this, add the winged template and attack my friend with Genesis... Oh, I know it's a **** move (especially considering her character is named Minerva), but I'm sure she has it coming... In some way or another :smallamused:

Mithril Leaf
2013-07-31, 02:26 PM
Well, I've decided that I can live with giving tier 2s a slight charisma boost (vs comparable races). I'm just going to go with -2 to all physical stats, it'll be a strong race, but not stronger than the existing high +0 LA races. Ashtagon, you suggestion was good, but has too many unintended consequences, such as stopping all the X to Y abilities from accessing the boosted charisma, which isn't desired.

mystic1110
2013-07-31, 02:37 PM
So can the Draco in Leather pants be a chaotic Evil paladin and have all the usual bonuses and never fall? :smallconfused: :smallcool:

Arcanist
2013-07-31, 02:42 PM
So can the Draco in Leather pants be a chaotic Evil paladin and have all the usual bonuses and never fall? :smallconfused: :smallcool:

A Draco in Leather Pants can be a Chaotic Evil Paladin with the Vow of Peace, and kill everyone in the campaign without so much as even tempting his Goddess from letting him fall.

Rephath
2013-07-31, 03:28 PM
If I play a chaotic evil Draco, may I still use artifacts that require an evil alignment, even though I'm also a paladin?

Scots Dragon
2013-07-31, 03:34 PM
If I play a chaotic evil Draco, may I still use artifacts that require an evil alignment, even though I'm also a paladin?

I'd let you. I mean, the Draco is obviously attempting to bring the evil objects to some form of redemption along with himself.

Mithril Leaf
2013-07-31, 03:35 PM

Yep. That's 100% supported. It's basically like reverse hellbred.

Ghost Nappa
2013-07-31, 04:37 PM
Yep. That's 100% supported. It's basically like reverse hellbred.

So a Chaotic Evil Draco will "show up" as Lawful Good and can use items, powers, and abilities from all four alignments?

Alex12
2013-07-31, 04:47 PM
So a Chaotic Evil Draco will "show up" as Lawful Good and can use items, powers, and abilities from all four alignments?

No. He counts as Exalted Good, but that doesn't affect law/chaos standing.

He's Just Misunderstood also needs something about being exempted from the Paladin code and similar such codes. And something about being exempt from all alignment requirements if he's a cleric, but only if he follows a goddess?

Meeky
2013-07-31, 07:02 PM
What do you do when one of your players believes this, but is a male player and attempts to redeem all the evil female villains? Do any of the abilities change, eh?

Palanan
2013-07-31, 08:07 PM
Without addressing any issues of stat penalties or alignment philosophy, I just have to say that I haven't laughed so hard in longer than I can remember.

I barely know anything about anime, and haven't personally witnessed the core phenomenon you're addressing...and yet I still laughed nonstop. Thank you. Just...thank you.

Mithril Leaf
2013-07-31, 11:31 PM
What do you do when one of your players believes this, but is a male player and attempts to redeem all the evil female villains? Do any of the abilities change, eh?

That's one of the funnest options you have! But everything should work out fine with the same abilities. I also added the paladin clause.

EDIT: Hey is there any ability type that lets you maintain something both in an antimagic field and while polymorphed?

Ghost Nappa
2013-08-01, 02:48 PM
EDIT: Hey is there any ability type that lets you maintain something both in an antimagic field and while polymorphed?

Maybe make a feat for that as a part of the class?

Mithril Leaf
2013-08-01, 03:12 PM
Maybe make a feat for that as a part of the class?

Good idea!

And it's up!

Mithril Leaf
2013-08-03, 04:56 AM
So anyone got a comment on the feat?

Magatsu Izanagi
2013-08-03, 05:58 AM
The Draco in Leather Pants as a race? Interesting. I wonder if Ron the Death Eater could also be a viable race concept...

In any case, This Isn't Even My Final Form! strikes me as a bit overpowered in its current form. No prerequisites?

AuraTwilight
2013-08-03, 02:18 PM
I wonder if Ron the Death Eater could also be a viable race concept..

Someone please do this.

Hyena
2013-08-03, 02:20 PM
Someone please do this.

It's more likely a template restricted only for NPCs. Maybe even only DMPCs.

Mithril Leaf
2013-08-03, 03:47 PM
The Draco in Leather Pants as a race? Interesting. I wonder if Ron the Death Eater could also be a viable race concept...

In any case, This Isn't Even My Final Form! strikes me as a bit overpowered in its current form. No prerequisites?

You get to keep a few racial Ex abilities and basically get immunity to a half dozen SoDs. Most of transmutation is buffs, so having immunity to harmful ones that don't deal damage isn't that much. It's basically only flesh to stone and baleful polymorph in most games.

EDIT: This isn't to explicitly say it isn't, but I feel you may in fact have overestimated it. If there's something I'm missing please tell me.

Network
2013-08-03, 04:16 PM
It's more likely a template restricted only for NPCs. Maybe even only DMPCs.
Is there a reason for it? Do you think the ability to fulfill prerequisites as if the character was from a different alignment is too powerful?
That may explain why this race doesn't have an LA, of course.

Alex12
2013-08-03, 05:38 PM
Someone please do this.

Hm. Now, I'm not doing anything concrete, just throwing ideas out there.

Counts as Vile Evil, regardless of actual alignment (obviously). Also exempt from the negative effects of all vow- or code-based requirements from any source.
Perhaps a bonus to Int or Cha? Most of the fics I've read go either master manipulator route or barely-competent route, and I feel like the master-manipulator is probably more useful.
Pay for the bonuses with a penalty to Wis, perhaps. They tend to make unwise decisions, beyond a certain point in the fic.

Mithril Leaf
2013-08-03, 10:54 PM
Is there a reason for it? Do you think the ability to fulfill prerequisites as if the character was from a different alignment is too powerful?
That may explain why this race doesn't have an LA, of course.

He was referring to Ron the Death Eater. :smalltongue:
It's +0 LA though, forgot to write it.

Network
2013-08-04, 09:05 AM
He was referring to Ron the Death Eater. :smalltongue:
That's not my question. My question is why Hyena wouldn't allow the Ron the Death Eater race for PCs.

Cheiromancer
2013-08-04, 05:46 PM
Hm. Now, I'm not doing anything concrete, just throwing ideas out there.

Counts as Vile Evil, regardless of actual alignment (obviously). Also exempt from the negative effects of all vow- or code-based requirements from any source.
Perhaps a bonus to Int or Cha? Most of the fics I've read go either master manipulator route or barely-competent route, and I feel like the master-manipulator is probably more useful.
Pay for the bonuses with a penalty to Wis, perhaps. They tend to make unwise decisions, beyond a certain point in the fic.

Actually, a penalty to Sense Motive might be all that is needed (maybe situational vs diplomacy checks vs good characters)? That is why a Ron the Death Eater misunderstands the Draco in Leather Pants character and his admirers.

Hmm. The situational modifier might be worth pursuing. Say a Draco has a somewhat smaller Cha bonus (+4 instead of +6), but has a +2/-2 vs good/evil characters on Charisma based skills. And a Ron character similarly has a -2/+2 vs good/evil characters on Wisdom based skills. Then when Draco (who counts as good) tries a diplomacy check against Ron (who counts as evil) then his diplomacy check is more likely to fail and the sense motive check to give a false reading. Thus Ron will rebuff Draco's friendly gesture and will go and join Voldemort.

If you do give Ron the Death Eater a Wisdom penalty, there should be a few compensating bonuses to skills like Spot, Listen and Survival. It doesn't make sense that he'd become near-sighted, hard of hearing, and more likely to get lost just because he's more foolish.

Also, isn't the Draco race awfully hetero-normative? It should be generalized to please the Harry/Draco shippers.

Mithril Leaf
2013-08-04, 07:32 PM
Also, isn't the Draco race awfully hetero-normative? It should be generalized to please the Harry/Draco shippers.

The race is not meant for Harry/Draco by default. Nothing saying they can't be adored by males as well, but the heart of the race is the fact that fangirls love the Draco in Leather Pants. They are the ones shipping Harry/Draco in my experience. At it's heart, the race is a way to incorporate meta ideas into situations where they aren't found natively. Mayhaps a tendency for Dracos to be considered of differing sexuality despite their preference, but that's a job for later days.

That's not my question. My question is why Hyena wouldn't allow the Ron the Death Eater race for PCs.

In that case, why mention my race didn't have a listed LA?

Network
2013-08-04, 08:56 PM
In that case, why mention my race didn't have a listed LA?
I assumed that if Hyena wouldn't allow PCs to take an hypothetic Ron the Death Eater race, you had a similar reasoning and didn't intend the Draco in Leather Pants race as a playable option, and therefore didn't put an LA.
And due to some confusion of mine, I assumed he was the author.

Ghost Nappa
2013-08-19, 11:56 PM
I think it might be worth asking if the inclusion of a limited version of "Charm Person" or a similar spell would fit flavor wise (the core races seem to have a lot of little miscellaneous bonuses, which DiLP lacks. I'm not sure if this is a balancing issue or not.)

Also, if you need any other names for more things (since we're using that page (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/DracoInLeatherPants) as a resource), here's a handy list of other tropes and related phrases:

Evil is Sexy
Karma Houdini
Karma Escape Artist (in case IRL allusions are bad)
Smug Snake (bonus points if you have a Snake Familiar)
Flowers of Carnage
Alpha Allure (as in Alpha Male)
Strapped In
Tormented Past
Ivory Skin, Silver Tongue
Woobie Disguise (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/TheWoobie)
One-Winged Angel Form

The actual attraction to a Draco is called Hybristophilia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hybristophilia) if you wondering.

JerichoPenumbra
2013-08-20, 01:32 PM
Given the different types of armor made out of leather available, wouldn't be better to just give them a +2 to AC when wearing armor made out of leather? Maybe make said bonus a dodge bonus so that when the Draco is successfully caught unaware the bonus doesn't help?

Ghost Nappa
2013-09-08, 11:10 AM
Evil is Sexy
Karma Houdini
Karma Escape Artist (in case IRL allusions are bad)
Smug Snake (bonus points if you have a Snake Familiar)
Flowers of Carnage
Alpha Allure (as in Alpha Male)
Strapped In
Tormented Past
Ivory Skin, Silver Tongue
Woobie Disguise (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/TheWoobie)
One-Winged Angel Form

Playing off some of these to help add to the race (which has twos racial trait and a selectable feat).

One-Winged Angel Form: A single wing protuding from the back gives a +3 racial mod to Jump, but -1 to Swim.
Karma Escape Artist: Dracos are notoriously good at escape attempts, and receive a +2 racial mod to Escape Artist.
Woobie Disguise: Dracos can disguise their motives from the gods themselves and receive a +2 racial mod to Disguise. While a Draco is disguised, an opposing Sense Motive check adds +1 to its DC to succeed.
Strapped In: Dracos wear tight-suffocating armor all the time. Their intimate knowledge of taut materials means that receive a +1 racial mod to Use Rope.

Surrealistik
2013-09-08, 03:20 PM
Hilarious. Keep up the good work.

Also, is anyone actually running this class race in a public PbP game? I have some popcorn that needs eating.