PDA

View Full Version : [Spell] A taxidermist's dream

The Vorpal Tribble
2006-12-13, 03:04 PM
I think there is an 'official' word for this type of thing, but not being a butcher or a taxidermist I couldn't tell you what it is.

-=-=-=-=-=-

Gut
Conjuration (Teleportation)
Level: Ranger 1, Assassin 2, Drd 2, Sorc/Wiz 2, Animal 2
Components: S, F/DF
Casting Time: 1 standard action
Range: Touch
Area: Corpse touched
Duration: Instantaneous
Saving Throw: None
Spell Resistance: No

At your touch a specific portion of an unliving, non-undead creature sloughs off or extrudes from the corpse and reseals itself seamlessly. This bit of the creature is clean and in perfect, undamaged condition. This may be, for example, the hide, meat, bones, internal organs, or even blood and venom of the creature.

All skill checks requiring the use of the creature's parts are made at a +4 bonus.

Liquids that are extracted must be cast with the desired container to hold it as an arcane focus. Otherwise it simply splashes beside the creature and moistens the ground. These liquids can be used for a number of applications depending on their size, listed on the table below.

{table="head"]Size|Applications
Fine|None
Dimunitive|1
Tiny|4
Small|8
Medium|16
Large|28
Huge|36
Gargantuan|44
Colossal|52[/table]

All perishable components (hide, fluids, meat etc) degrade beyond use within 1d4 days of the creature's death unless under the effect of Gentle Repose or similar.

Arcane Focus: A butcher's knife or container (see text).

Maryring
2006-12-13, 03:17 PM
http://www.stuartsonline.co.uk/images/seal_large.jpg

Mauril Everleaf
2006-12-13, 03:25 PM
that "seal" is just sick when put into the context of this spell. made me laugh out loud. im still undure exactly how this spell is useful though.

The Vorpal Tribble
2006-12-13, 03:26 PM
http://www.stuartsonline.co.uk/images/seal_large.jpg
Yup, that'll look nice as a pair of mittens :smallbiggrin:

that "seal" is just sick when put into the context of this spell. made me laugh out loud. im still undure exactly how this spell is useful though.Use #1. Poisons. I mean, c'mon.

#2. Certain spell components

#3. Gives you the materials of such good quality it adds to skills such as leatherworking, armor making and similiar. Also, you have instant fur clothing for use in the cold.

#4. Grafting materials in perfect condition.

#5. Less likely to be able to be turned into undead.

#6. Is key to my entry in the Gift competition.

Maryring
2006-12-13, 03:30 PM
I live to joke with you.:smalltongue:

Mauril Everleaf
2006-12-13, 03:31 PM
on re-read, i guess the juices from some beasties could come in handy (even more so if you are using the blood mage class). although i think druids should be able to get it too. being about animals and all. maybe its too gruesome, but it could still fit.

Grey Knight
2006-12-13, 03:32 PM
So "knife goes in, guts come out" is now "spell goes in, guts come out"? Cool. I like the idea of using this for extracting poison from creatures, and I'm sure the blood of various beings could be useful too; for sale to the local curiosity shop if nothing else. Actually, that goes for a lot of uses of this. "Oh, do you like one's new werewolf rug? One bought it while one was in Rivan City last month."

Lazy_Harry
2006-12-13, 03:44 PM
Ow.
This hurts just as bad reading it, as does your other spell flay.

Its a great concept...but....

OW.....

Kinda reminds me of feild dressing a kill, but much less bloody. I rember learning how to feild dress a deer when I was learning to hunt , this just seems like it would be handy as a matter of conveniance to any ranger

Lord Iames Osari
2006-12-13, 03:50 PM
How can this spell have an arcane focus if the spell is not available to any arcane spellcasting classes?

The Vorpal Tribble
2006-12-13, 03:57 PM
How can this spell have an arcane focus if the spell is not available to any arcane spellcasting classes?
Uhhhh... good point. I think I'll allow it for Wiz/Sorcs so they can gather components.

mikeejimbo
2006-12-13, 03:58 PM
I live to joke with you.:smalltongue:

You made my day. Seriously. :smallbiggrin:

The_Cowinator
2006-12-13, 04:02 PM
Now how would this work with a zombie (because they are a corpse, only animated)?

The Vorpal Tribble
2006-12-13, 04:04 PM
Now how would this work with a zombie (because they are a corpse, only animated)?

I put this bit in the spell specifically because I knew someone would ask it:

"At your touch a specific portion of an unliving, non-undead creature sloughs off or extrudes from the corpse and reseals itself seamlessly."

Winged One
2006-12-13, 04:10 PM
Just a suggestion, but I think it might be useful on the Assassin and Blackguard spell lists, as you did mention it as being useful to extract poison.

The_Cowinator
2006-12-13, 04:12 PM
Ack... Thats what you get for not reading closely enough...

Nice Spell though. And I would add this spell to the list of spells for a Beaststalker (Monster). Specializes in hunting down and killing exotic beasts. Also gains the special ability Prepare Trophy, so this spell would be very useful to them.

Mewtarthio
2006-12-13, 04:46 PM
I notice that "butcher knife" is a very common arcane focus for your spells, Tribble.

Lord Iames Osari
2006-12-13, 04:51 PM
Okay, but that still leaves rangers and clerics with the Animal domain unable to use this spell to gather fluids, because that is the use of the spell that requires an arcane focus to be used, while rangers and clerics are divine casters. Why not just change the components section to read S, M, F and take away the "Arcane" part?

fangthane
2006-12-13, 05:11 PM
I think there is an 'official' word for this type of thing, but not being a butcher or a taxidermist I couldn't tell you what it is.
Pulling out guts is evisceration, but not for other substances... Perhaps call it "Dress corpse" or something? Not that "gut" doesn't work :) Butcher, maybe?

At your touch a specific portion of an unliving, non-undead creature sloughs off or extrudes from the corpse and reseals itself seamlessly. This bit of the creature is clean and in perfect, undamaged condition. This may be, for example, the hide, meat, bones, internal organs, or even blood and venoms of the creature.
I have to ask... How does an animal bereft of its hide 'reseal itself seamlessly?' :)
For the last part, it's a bit cumbersome, grammatically. I'd change it to read "all perishable components (hide, fluids, meat etc) degrade beyond practical utility within 1d4 days" or words to that effect.

Interesting spell, at any rate. How many levels higher does it need to be to affect a living, unwilling subject is what I wonder. :xykon:

Maryring
2006-12-13, 05:20 PM
Arcane focus just means that only Arcanists need a focus to cast the spell.

Lord Iames Osari
2006-12-13, 05:27 PM
Liquids that are extracted must be cast with the desired container to hold it as an arcane focus. Otherwise it simply splashes beside the creature and moistens the ground. These liquids can be used for a number of applications depending on their size, listed on the table below.

Arcane Focus: A butcher's knife or container (see text).

To me, this bit of text suggests otherwise.

Grey Knight
2006-12-13, 06:13 PM
It doesn't list what the material component is, either... perhaps Mr Tribble typoed while changing things around? I reckon he had the knife listed as the material component originally and forgot to change things when he made it a focus instead.

How about making it "S, F/DF"? That should work.

The Vorpal Tribble
2007-02-22, 09:18 PM
Alright, have adjusted a bit...

Jack_Simth
2007-02-22, 09:50 PM
I put this bit in the spell specifically because I knew someone would ask it:

"At your touch a specific portion of an unliving, non-undead creature sloughs off or extrudes from the corpse and reseals itself seamlessly."

Ah, so it can be used to dismantle constructs (provided they aren't magic immune, of course). Handy.

Zeta Kai
2007-02-22, 10:05 PM
This would PERFECT for my campaign's evil druid NPC. He's a sick, twisted "experimental" nature warping sicko who abuse baleful polymorphs like hotcakes. Great spell, but like Fangthane, I also want to see a higher-level version that can effect undead or even fully living beings.

Also for those higher versions, they should still be unable to really effect oozes, outsiders, elementals, & anything incorporeal, as they do not have the physiological structures (i.e.: discernable, solid, organic flesh & bones) to extract.

magic8BALL
2007-02-22, 10:14 PM
Ah, so it can be used to dismantle constructs (provided they aren't magic immune, of course). Handy.

...so long as it's a formally living thing, yes, apparently. Flesh golom comes to mind, but the whole magic immunity thing... :smallwink:

ExHunterEmerald
2007-02-22, 10:17 PM
Very nice, Trib.
Oh, and Maryring...
I'll see your seal and raise you one surefire ticket to hell.
http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a131/Emerald084/9_broken_seal.jpg

Jack_Simth
2007-02-22, 10:17 PM
Outsiders are, in general, pretty creature-esque - and they're subject to critical hits and sneak attack, so they have a discernable anatomy.

Zeta Kai
2007-02-22, 10:28 PM
Doesn't the Fiendish Codex say something about demons & devils being made of unearthly ectoplams-like material? If I'm right, then that sounds fairly unfleshy. So, it would seem that creatures from the lower planes would be immune. By extension, I would also imagine upper planar beings would have the same immunity.