PDA

View Full Version : First homemade campaign setting

D20ragon
2013-08-02, 11:39 AM
I decided to rework the races.
I'm building a campaign setting,but so far I'm just deciding what the races are like. I gave each one a bonus to 2 ability scores,4e style. Im not listing all their abilitys now.
Here they are:half men.(halflings).+2 str,+2 dexfeared warriors and raiders,they are called primitive.not to their faces of course.they have earned the half men name not only from their stature,but from the habit of splitting foes in twain.
elves."stone men".+2 int,+2 str.called this because of their grey coloration and tendency to never laugh,these elves live in fortified mountain citidels and train for war.
Trolls.short,crooked,sly miners and craftsmen,the trollsteel they make is matched by no one.+2 con,+2 int
Dwarves.+2 int,+2 cha. Shrewd but outgoing merchants and magicians,dwarves are valued by many and trusted by few.
That's all I've got for now.I've done away with humans,so I need a base race. Any ideas?

PeacefulOak
2013-08-02, 11:48 AM
Good on you for taking on the creation of an entire campaign setting, its a monumental amount of work. I like the feel of what you've created so far. It has the feel of a world where most (all?) of the classic fantasy arch-types are turned on their heads.

In terms of suggestions for a base race, what are you looking for this race to accomplish? What role will they fill? Having done away with humans, are you looking for a no-modifiers species to be prolific?

My knee-jerk reaction was either Goblins or Orcs to be the dominant race.

D20ragon
2013-08-02, 01:25 PM
I may put humans on another. I like this unknown race to have modifiers,simply because humans don't.
I need a race that built the city's and stuff like that,because none of the races seem to be the city building type. I'm considering a race of elephant people,to uphold the rules? But it doesn't seem quite right for the main race.

D20ragon
2013-08-02, 01:36 PM
Also,a race of ram horned people to bother the elves,who,of course,see them as uncivilized barbarians,and make frequent attempts to wipe them out or drive them off.I need a name though...

http://www.nodiatis.com/pub/20.jpg (http://www.nodiatis.com/personality.htm)

PeacefulOak
2013-08-02, 02:09 PM
Thoughts:

Gnoscon - Medium Sized humanoid. Heavily built, thick arms and legs, elephantine heads (large cranium, large leathery ears, elongated trunk, small tusks). +2 Wisdom, +2 Constitution. Favoured Class - Cleric.

The Gnoscons, also known as the Knowledgeable Ones, the Builders, and a variety of less complimentary names, are reclusive creatures who find their religion through precise construction. Sharp angles, rigid structural guidlines characterise their creations. Interestingly, they never choose to reside in the buildings they create, instead retreating to sheltered, hidden locations.

Caprian - Medium Sized humanoid. Built lithe and swift, they sport somewhat equine heads and curved, fluted horns similar to those of a mountain goat. +2 Strength, +2 Dexterity. Favored Class: Ranger

Caprians are a species of herders, hunters, and gatherers. They roam the wilderness in small family groups, which are bound to other family groups through complex interconnections of interrelation and marriage. Before becoming an adult, a Caprian must complete an act of daring bravery. Of late, these acts have most often become excuses to raid Elven outposts, supply stores, or settlements.

D20ragon
2013-08-02, 02:39 PM
I like what I'm hearing.
Also,what about mindkin,a cheerful race with the ability to form telepathic bonds with others. +2 cha +2 dex, favored class,wilder or rogue.
I'm twisting the idea that psionic races are serious.the mindkin see the everyone as possible allies,but put others ill at ease with their familiarity.knowing the thoughts and feelings of others,it's hard not to feel like they know everyone they meet.

D20ragon
2013-08-03, 09:11 AM
The gnoscon,allthough long lived,were few,and so,to populate their cities,they created the lifeworked out of metal and stone and wood.the lifeworked appearance varried,but all were infuesed with the spark of sentience.

http://www.nodiatis.com/pub/20.jpg (http://www.nodiatis.com/personality.htm)