PDA

View Full Version : Obsinflict Object (PEACH)

Geno9999
2013-08-05, 09:16 PM
First a little history.
While me and some friends were on IRC, one jokingly asked if Obscure Object (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/obscureObject.htm) counts as a Cure spell, in light of OotS #908.

So I bring you, a joke spell that took us all of five minutes.

Obsinflict Object
Abjuration
Level: Brd 1, Clr 3, Sor/Wiz 2
Components: V, S, M/DF
Casting Time: 1 standard action
Range: Touch
Target: One object touched of up to 100 lb./level
Duration: 8 hours (D)
Saving Throw: Will negates (object)
Spell Resistance: Yes (object)

This spell causes an object to always be targeted by divination (scrying) effects (such as a crystal ball or the scrying spell,) regardless of the original intended target of the divination, showing it's location. The object also automatically fails the Will save to resist divination effects, and will always be perceived.

Arcane Material Component: A piece of chameleon skin.

Edit log: v1.1, changed description of the spell, hopefully to clarify what the spell does.

TuggyNE
2013-08-06, 03:45 AM
Haha, nice. Extremely niche use case, but not completely invalid; magic items and artifacts could be targeted to good effect. You can even use it as a sort of targeted communication, by casting it on an object carried by someone with mind blank always on.

Steward
2013-08-06, 11:43 AM
What does it mean to "always be targeted by divination"? Does that mean that if anyone in the world casts a divination spell, it automatically targets this object? Or does it mean that the object is always treated as if it's being targeted by a divination spell, even if no one in the world is actually casting one?

SamBurke
2013-08-06, 08:04 PM
What does it mean to "always be targeted by divination"? Does that mean that if anyone in the world casts a divination spell, it automatically targets this object? Or does it mean that the object is always treated as if it's being targeted by a divination spell, even if no one in the world is actually casting one?

This is the question that is burning in my mind.

Geno9999
2013-08-07, 11:21 AM

It means the former. The idea being that since Obscure Object keeps it hidden even if it's targeted, Obsinflict Object should do the opposite: reveal itself to divination even when it's not directly targeted.

One of my friends was somewhat disappointed that it isn't perceived "as bright as a hundred suns, with a horrible screeching noise.":smalltongue:

Eldan
2013-08-07, 11:34 AM
That's... isn't that ridiculously overpowered? ONe person anywhere in the universe casts this and no one can ever use any divinations for eight hours?

Geno9999
2013-08-07, 12:06 PM
That's... isn't that ridiculously overpowered? ONe person anywhere in the universe casts this and no one can ever use any divinations for eight hours?

That is a good point, especially when the requirements for it are extremely low. This is why I have this as PEACH. And that it's a joke spell.

Eldan
2013-08-07, 12:52 PM
True,, but that's no reason not to at least try to make it work.

How about giving it an area? All divinations within X hundred feet target it?

Geno9999
2013-08-07, 01:05 PM
How about giving it an area? All divinations within X hundred feet target it?

Hmm... That might work. Would scaling the area to the caster level (of Obsinflict Object) would be too much?

Eulalios
2013-08-07, 01:50 PM
I'd give it the range of whatever divination cast at (Obsinflict Object caster's level + diviner's level) and make it effective for a number of uses = caster level.

Steward
2013-08-07, 02:10 PM
It means the former. The idea being that since Obscure Object keeps it hidden even if it's targeted, Obsinflict Object should do the opposite: reveal itself to divination even when it's not directly targeted.

One of my friends was somewhat disappointed that it isn't perceived "as bright as a hundred suns, with a horrible screeching noise.":smalltongue:

An interesting concept...

Does that mean that this spell essentially negates all divination spells cast by anyone, anywhere in the world? I mean, essentially what happens here is that if you cast a divination spell while this spell is in effect, it automatically targets this object.

What happens if this spell is used by two separate casters on two different objects that are far away from each other?

It definitely needs an area or else it basically shuts off an entire school of magic for everyone.

Gadora
2013-08-07, 03:25 PM
*quietly casts obsinflict object on a billboard*

More seriously, I'd probably restrict it to intercepting spells that target subjects in a certain area.