PDA

View Full Version : [D&D 3.5 PrC] Paladin of Mysteries [Paladin/Shadowcaster PrC][PEACH]

Xuldarinar
2013-08-05, 09:31 PM
PALADIN OF MYSTERIES

Clad in ebon armor and with a blade enveloped in righteous darkness, the Paladin of Mysteries is considered by most an enigma at best and at worst, a heretic. Wielders of divine might and shadow magic, there are almost as many trained as there are those who simply find this path on their own. Those who start along this path seldom leave it. Those that take this path alone, often remain alone. Those that are trained formerly in this art seldom find their allies far from their side.

Hit Die: d10

Requirements
Alignment: Any good
Base Attack Bonus: +4
Skills: Concentration 4, Knowledge (the planes) 2, Knowledge (religion) 2,
Special: Must have Smite Evil 1/day
Special: Must have access to Apprentice Mysteries

Class Skills
The Paladin of Mysteries’s class skills (and the key ability for each skill) are Concentration (Con), Craft (Int), Diplomacy (Cha), Handle Animal (Cha), Heal (Wis), Hide (Dex), Intimidate (Cha), Knowledge (arcana) (Int), Knowledge (nobility and royalty) (Int), Knowledge (the planes) (Int), Knowledge (religion) (Int), Move Silently (Dex), Profession (Wis), Ride (Dex), Sense Motive (Wis), and Spellcraft (Cha)
Skill Points at Each Level: 2 + Int modifier

Table 1-1: Paladin of Mysteries
{table=head]Level|Base Attack Bonus|Fort Save|Ref Save|Will Save|Special|Mysteries

1st|
+1|
+2|
+0|
+0|Smite Evil 1/day, Mysteries of Light|-

2nd|
+2|
+3|
+0|
+0|Hand of Shadow, Turn Undead|+1 level of existing mystery-using class

3rd|
+3|
+3|
+1|
+1|Special mount, Shadowborne Smite 1/day|+1 level of existing mystery-using class

4th|
+4|
+4|
+1|
+1|Remove disease 1/week|-

5th|
+5|
+4|
+1|
+1|Smite Evil 2/day|+1 level of existing mystery-using class

6th|
+6|
+5|
+2|
+2|Shadowborne Smite 2/day|+1 level of existing mystery-using class

7th|
+7|
+5|
+2|
+2|Rebuke Shadow|-

8th|
+8|
+6|
+2|
+2|Remove disease 2/week|+1 level of existing mystery-using class

9th|
+9|
+6|
+3|
+3|Shadowborne Smite 3/day|+1 level of existing mystery-using class

10th|
+10|
+7|
+3|
+3|Smite Evil 3/day|- [/table]

Class Skills

Weapon and Armor Proficiency: a Paladin of Mysteries gains no new weapon or armor proficiencies.
Mysteries: At each level, excluding 1st, 4th, 7th, and 10th, you gain new mysteries and an increase in caster level (and mysteries known, if applicable) as if you had also gained a level in your mystery-using class. You do not, however, gain any other benefits a character of these classes would have gained. If you had more than once mystery-using class before becoming a paladin of mysteries, you must decide to which class to add each level for the purpose of determining uses per mystery per day, caster level, and mysteries known.
Mysteries of Light: A Paladin of Mysteries, upon taking first level, loses the ability to cast paladin spells. Instead, their paladin spells are converted to mysteries, put on their mystery casting class’s list of known mysteries. Treat all paladin spells of any given level as a single mystery for the purposes of uses per day. For example, a Paladin of Mysteries upon entering may cast any 1st-level paladin spell once per day as a spell. When apprentice mysteries advance to spell-like abilities, so do 1st-3rd paladin spells, allowing a Paladin of Mysteries to cast 2 per day of each level. 4th level paladin spells are treated as 4th-level initiate mysteries, and advance accordingly.
Smite Evil (Su): At 1st level, you can smite evil once per day. At 5th, and 10th, a Paladin of Mysteries gains an additional use of smite evil. Levels in other classes that grant the smite evil class feature stack for the purpose of determining the extra damage dealt.
Hand of Shadow (Su): Beginning at 2nd level, a Paladin of Mysteries’s class levels stack with their paladin levels for the purpose of using lay on hands. Furthermore, when using lay on hands, a paladin of mysteries can choose to bestow or replace a number of hit points the target, rather than simply healing damage normally. These temporary hit points drain at a rate equal to the paladin of mystery's charisma modifier per turn. In all other ways this functions as lay on hands.
Turn Undead (Su): Beginning at 2nd level, a Paladin of Mysteries’s class levels stack with their paladin levels for the purpose of using Turn Undead.
Special mount (Sp): at 3rd level, a Paladin of Mysteries gains the service of an unusually intelligent, strong, and loyal steed. For the purpose of determining the stats of the steed, add up the charicter’s paladin and paladin of mysteries levels. If the paladin of mysteries has the shadow familiar feat, their mount gains the Dark creature template in place of a familiar and their shadowcaster levels are added to their Paladin of Mysteries levels and paladin levels for the purpose of determining their mount’s statistics. A paladin of mysteries who already possesses a mount from their paladin class levels does not gain an additional mount.
Shadowborne Smite (Su): Beginning at 3rd level, you can use a standard action to cast any touch mystery you know and deliver the mystery through your weapon with a smite. Using a mystery in this manner does not provoke attacks of opportunity. At 6th and again at 9th level, you gain additional uses of this ability.
Remove disease (Su): At 4th-level, and again at 8th-level, a Paladin of Mysteries gains one additional use of remove disease per week.
Rebuke Shadow: Beginning at 7th level, you gain the ability use your turn undead to rebuke creatures native to the plane of shadow.
Code of Conduct: A Paladin of Mysteries must be of good alignment and loses all class abilities if they ever willingly commit an evil act. They no longer are bound by their code of conduct in terms of behavior between law or chaos.

Ex-Paladin of Mysteries
A Paladin of Mysteries who violates their code of conduct loses all paladin abilities, and access to paladin mysteries. They do not however lose access to their accumulated levels in a mystery using class.

Note: If you entered this class without using the paladin class, treat the spells of the class you used instead as you would the spells of the paladin. Each level of spells counts as a single mystery for the purposes of UpMpD, and for determining their form ('Spell', Spell-Like, or Supernatural). This ability only functions on spells that are 1st, 2nd, 3rd, or 4th level and only for one class.

Granted, the mystery system is far from perfect. As such, I suggest using one of the following.

A: Use the fixes to the shadowcaster by Ari Marmell: [Here] (http://www.enworld.org/forum/showthread.php?184955-Shadowcaster-fixes-by-Mouseferatu)
(If you don't know who he is, look on the cover of Tome of Magic, Drow of the Underdark, and Cityscape)

B: Use this wonderful piece of homebrew, Decent of Shadows: [Here] (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=74519)

I will not begin to pretend this is an incredible class. But, in my defense, this is a reposting of my first piece of homebrew here. I want to make this into something good, something great. The concept is laid out, and I want input. If I have to rebuild the PrC from the ground up, then I will. I want to make a prestige class that integrates the shadowcaster and paladin.

JerichoPenumbra
2013-08-06, 12:01 AM
I like it. Then again I've always been a diehard fan of the Shadowcaster. Even my username here came from my favorite D&D character who was a Shadowcaster.

I think that some of the given abilities are a little bland and just seem to be extending the paladin class rather than making something unique. Maybe have Shadowborne Smite be a constant effect for smites i.e. being able to channel a touch range mystery through their smite attacks (I'm drawing inspiration from the Duskblade and Grey Guard here). Similarly to the Grey Guard class, maybe have special effects that can draw from the Lay on Hands Pool like spending 5 points to make someone blind, or remove blindness from an individual. Not sure what to make on the Remove disease spell-likes.

Steward
2013-08-06, 01:10 AM
What's an UpMpD???

The idea is definitely cool and I like the class as presented. I agree with the concern though that it's relatively bland; it just sounds like you changed the name of 'spells' to 'mysteries', which isn't a bad idea since the mechanics are different, but it's not a dramatic change or a different change. I would probably add some more shadow or darkness themed abilities to fill up the class, because as it is the paladin is a mediocre class and the shadowcaster isn't that much better.

Xuldarinar
2013-08-06, 03:07 AM
I like it. Then again I've always been a diehard fan of the Shadowcaster. Even my username here came from my favorite D&D character who was a Shadowcaster.

I think that some of the given abilities are a little bland and just seem to be extending the paladin class rather than making something unique. Maybe have Shadowborne Smite be a constant effect for smites i.e. being able to channel a touch range mystery through their smite attacks (I'm drawing inspiration from the Duskblade and Grey Guard here). Similarly to the Grey Guard class, maybe have special effects that can draw from the Lay on Hands Pool like spending 5 points to make someone blind, or remove blindness from an individual. Not sure what to make on the Remove disease spell-likes.

Im glad you like it. I agree, it is a little bland in terms of abilities. I will take your advice and come up with more flavorful changes.

What's an UpMpD???

The idea is definitely cool and I like the class as presented. I agree with the concern though that it's relatively bland; it just sounds like you changed the name of 'spells' to 'mysteries', which isn't a bad idea since the mechanics are different, but it's not a dramatic change or a different change. I would probably add some more shadow or darkness themed abilities to fill up the class, because as it is the paladin is a mediocre class and the shadowcaster isn't that much better.

Uses per Mystery per Day. Since mysteries work on a system of x/day on individual basis rather than a level basis, it would be misleading to refer to them as MpD or SpD.

Again, agreed that this is relatively bland. And I'm glad you brought up the mediocrity of the two classes. Part of my goal is to bring the two together in a way to make them effective. Both possess flavor, granted the shadow caster's flavor is superior, but both suffer mechanically. I'll work on giving this some much deserved flavor.

JerichoPenumbra
2013-08-06, 01:19 PM
Uses per Mystery per Day. Since mysteries work on a system of x/day on individual basis rather than a level basis, it would be misleading to refer to them as MpD or SpD.

Again, agreed that this is relatively bland. And I'm glad you brought up the mediocrity of the two classes. Part of my goal is to bring the two together in a way to make them effective. Both possess flavor, granted the shadow caster's flavor is superior, but both suffer mechanically. I'll work on giving this some much deserved flavor.

I do think that the Mysteries of Light as it is, does increase the situational flexibility of the Paladin spell list which is a bonus point.

Xuldarinar
2013-08-06, 02:15 PM
I do think that the Mysteries of Light as it is, does increase the situational flexibility of the Paladin spell list which is a bonus point.

Im glad that is a bonus point. If the wording isn't clear for anyone, heres an example of it.

Lets say you have a character who is a Paladin 4/Shadowcaster 1/Paladin of Mysteries 1

At this point, they have 3 fundamentals known, and 2 mysteries. One of these mysteries is mystery of light I. Mystery of light I can be use to cast any single 1st level paladin spell. At this point, they only cast 1st level paladin spells as arcane spells via this mystery, 1/day. Now, this would be a problem with armor (arcane spell failure), however the still mystery feat removes that issue entirely.

Upon reaching Paladin 4/Shadowcaster 1/Paladin of Mysteries 3, this character would have 3 fundamentals, 3 1st level mysteries, and 2 2nd level mysteries. One of these 2nd level mysteries being Mystery of Light II. All of their mysteries, other than fundamentals, are still arcane spells usable 1/day each.

Upon reaching Paladin 4/Shadowcaster 1/Paladin of Mysteries 6, this character would have 3 fundamentals, 3 1st level mysteries, 3 2nd level mysteries, and 2 3rd level mysteries. One of these 3rd level mysteries being Mystery of Light III. All of their mysteries, other than fundamentals, are still arcane spells usable 1/day each.

When this character becomes Paladin 4/Shadowcaster 1/Paladin of Mysteries 9, they would have 3 fundamentals, 3 1st level mysteries, 3 2nd level mysteries, 3 3rd level mysteries, and 2 4th level mysteries. All of their 1st, 2nd, and 3rd level mysteries would become usable 2/day as Spell-like abilities, but their 4th level mysteries, including mystery of light IV, are counted as arcane spells usable 1/day.
-

Anyways, as another note. Changed Lay on Hands to Hand of Shadow. This advances lay on hands, but also grants the ability to use lay on hands to either bestow temporary hit points, or replace a number of hit points the target has with temporary hit points. These temporary hit points drain at a rate equal to the paladin of mystery's charisma modifier. Why this? They are either bestowing the reflection of healing upon the target, or they are replacing some of the target's body with shadow. In either case, it begins to fade away.

Furthermore, added an ability at 7th level. Rebuke shadow allows the paladin of mysteries to rebuke creatures native to the plane of shadow. Basicly, any creature that if you came in contact with, would count as a qualification for a number of classes in Tome of Magic.