PDA

View Full Version : Combining monsters?

qazzquimby
2013-08-06, 05:01 PM
I'm wondering if anyone has made or heard of a system to combine multiple monsters and create an end product which is roughly their average.
The resultant monster would have averaged ability scores, speeds (atleast ground speed) saves, and probably HD, but abilities can't really be averaged. Giving the resultant all abilities would be it probably much more powerful, but not predictably so, since some monsters rely on abilities more than others, making CR hard to find. Giving the resultant only common abilities makes the whole thing kind of pointless as the final product won't necessarily resemble all monsters.

Does such a system exist, or does anyone have ideas to make it work?

gurgleflep
2013-08-06, 05:05 PM
There's a template that Xuldarinar made that allows you to plug two races into it to make a new monster if that's what you're asking. You can find that here. (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=276074)
Other than that, i don't know if there's anything, give me a bit of time to check.

qazzquimby
2013-08-06, 05:10 PM
I know of the race combining, but it's not what I'm looking for. It is a lot of fun though.

gurgleflep
2013-08-06, 05:16 PM
Sorry I can't be of more help than that :/ The only other thing I would be able to suggest is the amalgam template in the Advanced Bestiary by Green Ronin Publishing and it's basically just a sooped-up version of what I already suggested.

Xuldarinar
2013-08-06, 05:21 PM
There's a template that Xuldarinar made that allows you to plug two races into it to make a new monster if that's what you're asking. You can find that here. (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=276074)
Other than that, i don't know if there's anything, give me a bit of time to check.

Thank you for the plug there. I appreciate seeing my template being mentioned.

Aside from my creations..

Chaositech: [Fused Aberration Template]

Encyclopaedia Arcane - Crossbreeding, Flesh and Blood [The whole book really]

Bastards and Bloodlines [Again, most of the book can have some things for you]

Book of Erotic Fantasy [It has a section on crossbreeding. So… it might have something for you. Its worth the mention at least]

Encyclopaedia Arcane - Crossbreeding, Flesh and Blood, Is likely your best bet. The others have some things but are only worth mentions. The fused aberration template from Chaositech has it's role, pending on how you want to mix two creatures. Bastards and Bloodlines is more towards hybrids as characters but can serve you well. BoEF is only just worth a mention, but it isn't necessarily a book I'd advise getting unless you want a campaign to fall into certain topics frequently. It brings back comeliness as a statistic, referring to it as appearance. Personally, I think the score is stupid but thats just me.

Aside from those, I'm not familiar with much in the way of content for hybrids (besides standard Half-X templates).

inuyasha
2013-08-06, 06:09 PM
Goodman games has a template to turn a creature into a half creature template

Milo v3
2013-08-06, 06:11 PM
There's a template specifically designed for this. The Amalgam template from Advanced Bestiary. Though it's third party so whether you could find a copy is another question.

EDIT: Ninja'd

qazzquimby
2013-08-06, 06:45 PM
Thank you very much! Crossbreeds is exactly what I was looking for, thanks for the help.