PDA

View Full Version : [Pathfinder Subrace] Umbragen

Xuldarinar
2013-08-06, 11:50 PM
THE UMBRAGEN

In Dragon Magazine #330, we are introduced to the umbragen, shadow elves. A group that broke off from the drow early on and bound themselves to a force of spiritual energy called the Umbra.

So, my goal here? Adapt them to pathfinder. Since their stats are very similar to drow, In fact they are a sub-race of drow after a fashion, I'm not building from scratch.

DROW

ALTERNATE RACIAL TRAITS
Skilled: Due to their ties to darkness, some drow are far more skilled at moving around unseen. Drow with this racial trait gain a +2 racial bonus to stealth checks. This replaces the drow's racial bonus on saving throws against enchantment spells and effects.
Alternative Weapon Familiarity: Some drow are raised in areas that value a different set of weapons. Drow with this racial trait are proficient with longbow, short bow, long sword, and rapier. This replaces the drow's standard weapon familiarity.

Racial Subtypes
Umbragen: An early offshoot of the drow, umbragen hold a differing culture and a closer relationship to darkness. Umbragen have the Skilled and Alternative Weapon Familiarity alternate racial traits. Furthemore, as umbragen, they may qualify for umbragen racial feats.

NEW RACIAL RULES

Umbragen Feats

Umbragen have access to the following feats.

Cloak of Shadows
Prerequisite: Umbragen, Shadow Shift
Benefit: While you are in shadow form, you may choose to reduce the lighting within a 10-foot radius around you to shadowy. You may maintain this effect as long as you wish, although it ends immediately if you are killed, rendered unconscious, or leave shadow form.
Cloak of Shadows is a supernatural ability.

Dark Blood
Prerequisite: Umbragen, three or more umbragen feats.
Benefit: You gain +2 spell resistance. This feat counts as two feats for determining the number of times per day you can enter shadow form.
Special: A character with this feat cannot be raised from the dead, resurrected, reincarnated, or otherwise returned to life by magical means.

Dread Shadow
Prerequisite: umbragen, two or more umbragen racial feats
Benefit: Once per day, as a full round action, you may call on the power of the Umbra to expand your size by one category, duplicating the effects of enlarge person. You must be in shadow form to use and maintain this effect. Aside from this restriction, you may maintain this effect as long as you wish, although it immediately ends if you are killed, rendered unconscious, or leave shadow form.
Dread Shadow is a supernatural ability.

Indistinct
Benefit: While you are in shadow form, you have no scent and leave practically no trail behind. You cannot be tracked or located with the Scent ability. The DC to track you using the Survival skill increases by +4.

One with the Darkness
Benefit: You may assume shadow form as a free action. In addition, you are treated as two levels higher for determining the duration of your shadow shift.

Shadow Shift
Prerequisite: Umbragen
Benefit: As a move action, you may assume shadow form. This provides you with a +2 circumstance bonus on Stealth soil checks and a +5 circumstance bonus on Disguise skill checks made to conceal your identity.
You may only enter shadow form a number of times per day equal to 1 + the number of umbragen feats you posses. You return to your normal state after a number of minutes equal to your total character level. You may also leave shadow form as a standard action. If you are killed or rendered unconscious, you automatically return to your normal state.

Strength of the Shadows
Benefit: WHen you cast a spell with the shadow or darkness descriptor while in shadow form, your caster level is increased by +1. In addition, the saving throw DC of such spells is also increased by +1.

Sustaining Darkness
Prerequisite: Umbragen, Dark Blood, character level 12th.
Benefit: While resting in total darkness, you heal damage at twice the normal rate. As long as you spend at least 8 hours of the day in total darkness, you do not need to eat or drink.

Voices of the Void
Prerequisite: Umbragen, Indistinct, Shadow Shift
Benefit: While you are in shadow form and in an area of shadowy or no illumination, you may remove the verbal components of any spells that you cast. This has no effect on the spell slot used by the spell. This ability does not function within the area of a silence or similar magical effect.
Special: This feat cannot be used with bard spells.

Wings of the Wraith
Benefit: When you gain flight by means of a spell or similar effect, such as by that of a fly spell, while you are in shadow form your flight speed is increased by 30 feet.

HALF ELVES

ALTERNATE RACIAL TRAITS
Skilled: A few half-elves exhibit a keen ability for stealth. Half-elves with this racial trait gain a +2 racial bonus to stealth checks. This replaces the half-elf's racial bonus on saving throws against enchantment spells and effects.

Racial Subtypes
Half-Umbragen: These half-eves bare strong features of their shadow elven parents. These half-elves have the drow-blooded, drow magic, and skilled alternate racial traits. As half umbragen, they may qualify for umbragen racial feats (DM Pending).

This is as far as I go for the moment. If anyone wants me to come up with umbragen racial feats for pathfinder, or make racial archetypes, I will. If not, then this is what it remains and the racial feats in Dragon Magazine 330 are just fine.

TKXapathy
2013-08-08, 06:52 AM
As someone who hasn't read dragon 330, I was wondering: is this the only way that Umbragen differentiate themselves from the drow? Because a slightly stealthier drow with elven weapon proficiencies does seem underwhelming.

I'd love to see you convert the racial feats though.

Xuldarinar
2013-08-08, 08:32 AM
As someone who hasn't read dragon 330, I was wondering: is this the only way that Umbragen differentiate themselves from the drow? Because a slightly stealthier drow with elven weapon proficiencies does seem underwhelming.

I'd love to see you convert the racial feats though.

Well, aside from the racial feats, subtle differences in appearance, and cultural elements… yeah. It is underwhelming, but I prefer the flavor of the umbragen to the drow.

I will gladly convert the feats, and will do so in the near future.