PDA

View Full Version : Arcanable [creature]

Mauril Everleaf
2006-12-15, 06:49 PM
This critter was inspired by a friend's facebook picture. I call it the Arcanable and it is a great familiar.

Arcanable
Tiny Magical Animal
Hit Dice: 2d8 (12 hp)
Initiative: +2
Speed: 20 ft. (4 squares), climb 20 ft.
Armor Class: 15 (+2 size, +2 Dex, +1 Natural), touch 14, flat-footed 13
Base Attack/Grapple: +0/–12
Attack: Bite +4 melee (1d4)
Full Attack: Bite +4 melee (1d4)
Space/Reach: 2-1/2 ft./0 ft.
Special Attacks: Attach, spell-like abilities, spells
Special Qualities: Low-light vision, scent, magic aura, SR 5
Saves: Fort +2, Ref +4, Will +1
Abilities: Str 3, Dex 15, Con 14, Int 16, Wis 12, Cha 5
Skills: Balance +12, Climb +10, Hide +11, Move Silently +8, Spot +3
Feats: Agile
Environment: Temperate hills
Organization: Solitary
Challenge Rating: ???????
Treasure: Special
Alignment: Any
Advancement: —
Level Adjustment: —
These little mammals are aggressive predators but usually confine themselves to smaller prey. Their innate ability to perceive and use magic astounds most not familiar with this magical beast.

Combat

Attach (Ex): If an arcanable hits with a bite attack, it uses its powerful jaws to latch onto the opponent’s body and automatically deals bite damage each round it remains attached. An attached arcanable loses its Dexterity bonus to Armor Class and has an AC of 13. An attached arcanable can be struck with a weapon or grappled itself. To remove an attached arcanable through grappling, the opponent must achieve a pin against the creature.
Spell-like Abilities (Sp): The arcanable can cast once per day any of the following: Identify, Magic Aura, Disguise Self, and Erase. It may cast Read Magic at will.
Spells (?): Arcanables are treated as sorcerers of level equal to 1/2 HD, but use Intelligence not Charisma to learn and use spells, but gains no bonus to spells due to Intelligence or Charisma.
Magic Aura (Su): The arcanable is so attuned to magic that it reads as a magic item when Detect Magic or similar spells are cast. This magic aura may be suppressed in an Anti-Magic Field, and doing so removes all magical qualities of the arcanable. In such an event, treat the arcanable as a 2 HD weasel.
Skills: Arcanables have a +4 racial bonus on Move Silently checks and a +8 racial bonus on Balance and Climb checks. They use their Dexterity modifier for Climb checks. An arcanable can always choose to take 10 on a Climb check, even if rushed or threatened.

Treasure: Any arcanable will be found to have all spell components needed for the spells it has memorized, including those of considerable value. None are sure exactly how the arcanable procures some of these components, but it is never without them.
--------------------------------
I need to make sure that this thing isnt just insane. oh, and i know the CR is wrong, i just didnt have time to fix it.
I want to give it some specialty abilities when used as a familiar, for both arcanable and mage. thoughts?

ChaosStorm
2006-12-15, 07:33 PM
the challenge rating seems too low. they'd be one seriously nasty familiar. it's be like having a sorcerer cohort.

i like it, but it's scary.

Mauril Everleaf
2006-12-15, 07:42 PM
VT's method says CR 6. does that seem right?

Also unsure what sort of LA it would have if someone let a player use it as a pc. And i dont know what advancement means.

Grey Knight
2006-12-15, 07:54 PM
Advancement refers to how the creature "scales up" if the DM wants to make a tougher version. See the bottom of this page (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/intro.htm).

Mauril Everleaf
2006-12-15, 08:41 PM
Okay, so i dont think it needs advancement. its pretty awesome as it is.

Mauril Everleaf
2006-12-15, 09:09 PM
Added a note about treasure on this thing.