PDA

View Full Version : [item]Wizard's Coinpurse

Winged One
2006-12-15, 10:43 PM
The idea for this just popped into my head one day when I was trying to make a wizard who used a lot of spells with expensive material components, but I was inspired to get off my ass and stat it out by this thread (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=29613).

Wizard's Coinpurse
Invented by an anonymous wizard who was frustrated with having to waste time purchaseing all of the powdered precious metals and gems that he could have spent adding some recently found scrolls into his spellbook, this pouch looks identical to a typical spell component pouch. However, it has the effect of converting any coins or nonliving trade goods into spell components. The Coinpurse keeps track of the total value of what has been placed within. As the time-equivalent of drawing a material component out of a normal spell component pouch, you can draw out any and every material(but not focus) component you need, with some exceptions(such as the body for Raise Dead, the DC-increasing components for Scry, and the flesh for Clone). If it was an expensive component(the sort that the Eschew Materials feat would not remove the need for), the value is subtracted from the total value of the Coinpurse's contents. Also, you may take coins or nonliving trade goods out of the Coinpurse, which loses total value stored rather than actual materials. Withdrawing coins is a standard action, while withdrawing trade goods is a full-round action, both of which provoke attacks of opportunity. You cannot take an ammount of coins or trade goods out of the Coinpurse the total weight of which exceeds your light load in one action. For example, you could place a silver piece in a newly crafted Wizard's Coinpurse and then immediately take out up to one pound of iron as a full-round action, unless you somehow managed to dump Strength so badly that your light load is under one pound. Casting Wall of Iron for the sole purpose of placing the iron in a Wizard's Coinpurse results in the iron not going into the Coinpurse, and also causes a Bigby's slapping hand effect on whoever attempts this. Creators of Wizard's Coinpurses with particularly warped senses of humor make them out of the skin of acountants.

Faint Conjuration and Transmutation; CL 3; Craft Wonderous Item, Eschew Materials; cost 5,000 gp

Artificer's Coinpurse
This greater version of the Wizard's Coinpurse also allows for more eficient item creation or item creation in areas where raw materials for magic items are unavailable. In addition to all of the effects of a Wizard's Coinpurse, an Artificer's Coinpurse can also create the expensive materials needed in the creation of magic items in a manner similar to creating material components or the special inks needed to add spells to a spellbook.
Faint Conjuration and Transmutation; CL 5; Craft Wonderous Item, any other item creation feat or Eschew Materials; cost 6,000 gp

Emperor Tippy
2006-12-15, 11:06 PM
A very nice item.

mikeejimbo
2006-12-15, 11:12 PM
Reminds me of the debate going on in the general gaming thread. I think this is a nice solution.

Winged One
2006-12-15, 11:16 PM
Thank you. Could somebody give a suggestion on price, caster level, and aura strength?

sigurd
2006-12-16, 09:46 AM
How bout

500 gld - Mandatory Target pattern & screaming Aura that says "pick me!"

3000 gld - faint aura 12 hp.

Aeyamar
2006-12-16, 04:52 PM
It should definitely be a transmutation aura not conjuration.

Winged One
2006-12-16, 10:23 PM
How bout

500 gld - Mandatory Target pattern & screaming Aura that says "pick me!"

3000 gld - faint aura 12 hp.
Um...what?

It should definitely be a transmutation aura not conjuration.

I originally had it as a Transmutation aura. I changed it to Conjuration because it uses something like a nondimensional space...maybe I should have it emit both?

Macrovore
2006-12-17, 12:40 AM
Dang it!!! i was about to post something almost exactly like that!

useful for those clerics who prepare revivify but don't feel like wasting 10000gp on diamond dust

Myatar_Panwar
2006-12-17, 01:24 AM
Dang it!!! i was about to post something almost exactly like that!

useful for those clerics who prepare revivify but don't feel like wasting 10000gp on diamond dust

If I understand this right, you still have to waste the money on reviving or anything else requiring a component, you just dont need to waste the groups time by saying that your going to this store for this, and that store for that.

And Winged One, what do you mean by "trade goods"? Just like anything that would be used in crafting something? Or mundane items like a ladder? Although being able to pull out rope and stuff seems too good. Making the players actually craft it from the materials you pull out sounds better. And lets say that a player has 100,00 pp in his purse, and he pulls out that equivilent in iron. What would happen then? Would he just not be able to do it because its wayyyyy too heavy? Either way, its a great item. And I would say that its price be somewhere around 5,000 or less.

Winged One
2006-12-17, 01:36 AM
If I understand this right, you still have to waste the money on reviving or anything else requiring a component, you just dont need to waste the groups time by saying that your going to this store for this, and that store for that.
Correct. Also, if you get croaked, the cleric can just pull out the diamonds that he or she needs to fix that, even if you didn't anticipate it enough to carry around the diamonds.

And Winged One, what do you mean by "trade goods"? Just like anything that would be used in crafting something? Or mundane items like a ladder? Although being able to pull out rope and stuff seems too good. Making the players actually craft it from the materials you pull out sounds better.
This stuff (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/equipment/wealthAndMoney.htm#wealthOtherThanCoins), just not anything that's ever been alive.

And lets say that a player has 100,00 pp in his purse, and he pulls out that equivilent in iron. What would happen then? Would he just not be able to do it because its wayyyyy too heavy?

He drops it, unless he has the STR required(which would be quite a lot). It's rather ill-advised to do that all at once unless you're going to drop it on somebody's head or something.

Either way, its a great item. And I would say that its price be somewhere around 5,000 or less.
Thank you. I'll price it at 5,000 for now.

Mewtarthio
2006-12-18, 12:57 PM
He drops it, unless he has the STR required(which would be quite a lot). It's rather ill-advised to do that all at once unless you're going to drop it on somebody's head or something.

What if you, say, try to put a couple of platinums in there, then flip the bag over a pit trap or someone's head (preferably with you a safe distance above them) while pulling out the equivalent amount in wheat (one short ton)?

Winged One
2006-12-18, 02:45 PM
What if you, say, try to put a couple of platinums in there, then flip the bag over a pit trap or someone's head (preferably with you a safe distance above them) while pulling out the equivalent amount in wheat (one short ton)?
Wheat was once alive, therefore the Coinpurse can't produce it except as part of spellcasting.

Amphimir Míriel
2006-12-18, 06:58 PM
What about sand then? How many tons of regular sand could you transform from a few platinum pieces?

I would suggest that that kind of use is outlawed, since it would become too easy to abuse.

Kinda like a mage in AD&D that liked to conjure horizontal Walls of Iron 10 feet above his enemies... Definetely not what the spell's designer had in mind.

Winged One
2006-12-18, 07:01 PM
Sand isn't a trade good, so that wouldn't work either.

Mewtarthio
2006-12-18, 11:01 PM
Okay, how about Iron then?

Winged One
2006-12-18, 11:15 PM
Then yes, that's a viable tactic. If everybody thinks it would be for the best, I could say that drawing trade goods(but not material components(part of the spell) or coins(standard action)) is a full-round action that provokes an AoO, and that you can't take out anything that exceeds your light load(again, with the exception of material components, since some of them are really heavy if I recall correctly).

Myatar_Panwar
2006-12-18, 11:24 PM
That would make since. Just thinking of all the things you could do with thousands of pounds of iron baffles me. Plus, I highly dought that there will be many moments when you will need anything less than a full round action to pull out a trade good.

Winged One
2006-12-19, 03:06 AM
All right, restrictions on trade good creation are placed.

Jack_Simth
2006-12-19, 06:04 PM
Yeah. Just don't let a Wizard/Sorcerer who knows Wall of Iron and has a Fighter friend with an adamantium weapon get ahold of it. Iron's a trade good, and the Wall of Iron spell gives you it's volume (by way of it's measurements). With a little research to pick up Iron's density, that thing quickly pays for itself. As in one casting. No need even to find somewhere to convert the iron.....

Winged One
2006-12-19, 06:29 PM
Oh, yeah, that Wall of Iron abuse. Well, it is now an official tradition for all of my items to bitchslap anybody who tries to abuse them.

fangthane
2006-12-19, 07:08 PM
I wouldn't allow it.

I don't like the fact that it essentially invalidates giving the party anything but platinum, because anything else will be platinum two rounds later.

Pulling ingredients for spells? Beautiful. Pulling coins back out? Never. I'd further say that any ingredients pulled out lose their potency for casting after 24 hours. Yes, even oodles of diamonds for a True Resurrection become worthless after that time. Prevents people just loading up the purse and pulling out what they need all the time, because there's a trade-off in that any cash put in can then only be used for spell reagents.

Of course, I'd also say that any ingredient costs a minimum of 1 gp to the purse, and anything which has a cost incurs double the normal price. 7-11 sells stuff a lot more expensive than Wal-Mart; there's a price to be paid for convenience.

Winged One
2006-12-19, 07:39 PM
I wouldn't allow it.

I don't like the fact that it essentially invalidates giving the party anything but platinum, because anything else will be platinum two rounds later.
That's kind of half the point of the item.

Pulling ingredients for spells? Beautiful. Pulling coins back out? Never. I'd further say that any ingredients pulled out lose their potency for casting after 24 hours. Yes, even oodles of diamonds for a True Resurrection become worthless after that time. Prevents people just loading up the purse and pulling out what they need all the time, because there's a trade-off in that any cash put in can then only be used for spell reagents.
Material components can only be drawn out during spellcasting, unless it's also a trade good or a coin(such as the cp for Detect Thoughts).

Of course, I'd also say that any ingredient costs a minimum of 1 gp to the purse, and anything which has a cost incurs double the normal price. 7-11 sells stuff a lot more expensive than Wal-Mart; there's a price to be paid for convenience.

Yes, there is a price to be paid for convenience. At the moment, it's 5,000 gp.

Winged One
2007-02-06, 11:30 PM
I've added the Artificer's Coinpurse. Any comments on that, or any new comments on the Wizard's Coinpurse, would be welcome.

cferejohn
2007-02-07, 12:01 AM
It makes my brain hurt to try and imagine how the "science" behind this would work (either way). Like how does the purse "know" how much something is worth? And for say trading coppers in for gold/platinum, these are minted coins. Where are they coming from?

I mean, if you don't want to deal with components except as a balance to stop characters from casting certain spells all day long, I guess it's fine, but it just strikes me as a way to do some handwaving (which we do often enough with coin-weight anyway).

I kind of *like* making the characters plan ahead vis a vis resources, and I can cut supplys of things off as a plot hook. You'd be surprised what a 3rd level party with a handful of unidentified rings will do to get their hands on a few pearls...