PDA

View Full Version : Awakened Stuffed Toys 3.5

Debihuman
2013-08-12, 05:56 AM
Just in case the old WotC boards go down the drain, I'm reposting two of my old critters from there. The Awakened Stuff Toy Template by Riven_T_McGuire can be found here: http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75882/19543914/My_wife_made_me_do_it._(PEACH)?liveView=0

I used his template to make Dolly Llama and Ted E. Bear. First here is the template.

Edit: In the template, awakened stuffed toys have resistance 10 to bludgeoning weapons. This is now properly noted as Damage Reduction 10/piercing or slashing in all the creature's statistic blocks. Also, the minimum hit point per level should be 1 regardless of the 1/4 total. The poison on the blowguns is usually blue whinnas since these are usually neutral creatures. Last of all, although the Template doesn't state, this is to be added to the base creature, a diminutive animated object (which is so boring nobody created actual stats for it). Although the template says LA is +1, I'm not sure they need it.

As an awakened construct, an Awakened Stuffed Toy has the following features.
• An Awakened Stuffed Toy derives its Hit Dice, base attack bonus progression, saving throws, and skill points from the class it selects.

Traits: An Awakened Stuffed Toy possesses the following traits.
• -4 Strength, +2 Dexterity, –2 Wisdom, +2 Charisma
• Diminutive: As Diminutive constructs, awakened stuffed toys gains a +4 size bonus to Armor Class, a +4 size bonus on attack rolls, and a +12 size bonus on Hide checks, but its lifting and carrying limits, as well as its HP are one-quarters of those of a Medium character (minimum 1 hp per hd).
• An awakened stuffed toy's base land speed is 10 feet.
• No Constitution score.
• Low-light vision.
• Darkvision out to 60 feet.
• Unlike other constructs, an awakened stuffed toy is not immune to mind-affecting spells and abilities.
• Immunity to poison, sleep effects, paralysis, stunning, disease, death effects, and necromancy effects.
• Cannot heal damage naturally, but can be repaired through the use of repair damage spells. It also can repair itself if it can find enough felt, straw, and thread to patch itself up with. Repairing itself in this manner 1d4 minutes/HP lost.
• Not subject to critical hits, nonlethal damage, ability damage, ability drain, fatigue, exhaustion, or energy drain.
• Immunity to any effect that requires a Fortitude save (unless the effect also works on objects, or is harmless).
• Vulnerability to fire: Because the body of an awakened stuffed toy is stuffed with straw or cotton, it’s easily flammable and will take more damage from fire based attacks.
• Not at risk of death from massive damage. Immediately destroyed when reduced to 0 hit points or less.
• Since it was never alive, an awakened construct cannot be raised or resurrected.
• Spell-like ability (Sp): 3/day an awakened stuffed toy can cast haste on itself as a 6th level Sorcerer. However, this effect actually triples the creature's base speed.
• Substitute breath (Sp): Because an awakened stuffed doesn't have a breath of its own, it can create a magical effect from its mouth that would substitute an exhaling breath. This breath is mostly used by the creature to fire needles from its blowgun, causing the needles to have a range of 30 feet.
• Inanimate Pretend (Ex): An awakened stuffed toy can hold itself so still it appears to be a regular stuffed toy. An observer must succeed on a DC 20 Spot check to notice the creature is really alive.
• Unusual Body (Ex): An awakened stuffed toy is mostly stuffing, thus suffers very little from bludgeoning attacks. Because of this it gets a resistance to bludgeon (10), and takes no falling damage.
• Skills: An awakened stuffed toy gets a +8 bonus to Move Silently checks because of its soft body structure.
• Proficient with blowgun and rapier (needle), Using needles as a weapon comes as second nature to this creature.
• Bonus feats: Because awakened stuffed toys are born from magic, therefore they do not require material components for their spell (if they are casters) as if they had the Eschew Materials feat. However, costly material or focus item are still needed. It also receives Toughness as a bonus feat.
• An awakened stuffed toy does not need to eat, sleep, or breathe, and can't benefit from the effects of consumable spells and magic items such as heroes' feast and potions. However, an awakened stuffed toy caster must rest for 8 hours before preparing spells.
• Favored class: Spellthief. A multiclass awakened stuffed toy's spellthief class does not count when determining whether he takes an experience point penalty for multiclassing.
• Level adjustment: +1.
• Automatic languages: Common. Bonus Languages: Sylvan.

I'm reposting both Dolly Llama and Ted E. Bear here in spoilers. I've made a few corrections so these don't exactly match the original ones posted on WoTC's site.

Dolly Llama
Dolly Llama, female awakened stuffed toy, fighter 3
Diminutive Construct
Hit Dice: ¼3d10+3 (7 hit points)
Initiative: +7 (+3 Dex, +4 Improved Initiative)
Speed: 10 ft. (2 squares)
Armor Class: 20 (+4 Size +3 Dex, and Masterwork breastplate +3 (adds only half bonus due to size), Touch 17, Flat-footed 17
BAB/Grapple: +3/-9
Attack: Diminutive mwk greatsword +9 melee (1d6) or blowgun +11 ranged (1 plus poison) or hoof +10 melee (1)
Full Attack: Diminutive mwk greatsword +9 melee (1d6) or blowgun +11 ranged (1 plus poison), or two hooves +10 melee (1)
Space/Reach: 1 ft. /0 ft.
Special Attacks: —
Special Qualities: Damage resistance 10/piercing or slashing, darkvision 60 ft.; inanimate pretend; Immunity to poison, sleep effects, paralysis, stunning, disease, death effects and necromancy effects; low-light vision; spell-like ability; substitute breath, unusual body, vulnerability to fire
Saves: Fort +3, Ref +4, Will +1
Abilities: Str 11, Dex 16, Con —, Wis 11, Int 12, Cha 12
Skills: Climb +6 (+3 in armor), Hide +12 (+9 in armor) Intimidate +7, Jump +6 (+3 in armor), Move Silently +8 (+5 in armor), Use Rope +5 [+2 circumstance bonus from silk rope]
Feats: Eschew Materials (B), Toughness (B) Improved Initiative, Point Blank Shot, Weapon Finesse (B), Weapon Focus (greatsword) (B)
Environment: Any Land
Organization: Solitary or collection (2-10)
Challenge Rating: 2
Treasure: Standard
Alignment: Neutral
Advancement: by Class
Level Adjustment: +1
Possessions: masterwork custom-made breastplate (350 gp, 3 lbs), masterwork great sword (350 gp, ½ lb) , 2 vials of Acid (20 gp, 1 lb), 1 vial of holy water (25 gp, 1 lb.), saddle pack (custom made) 5 gp (1½ lbs), 1 thunderstone (15 gp each, 1 lb.), tanglefoot bag (50 gp, 4 lb.), Silk rope 50 ft. (10 gp, 5 lb.) , tent with extra waterproofing (20 gp 20 lbs), caltrops (1 gp 2 lbs), 54 gp.

Dolly Llama appears as fluffy white stuffed toy llama. She is 8 inches tall, 12 inches long and weighs 1 pound. Although Dolly can walk upright and use weapons, she prefers to remain as a quadruped due to her greater carrying capacity. She can carry a Light load 38 lbs or less, Medium load 39-76 pounds, heavy load 77-115 pounds. She also wears two saddlebags in which to carry items. While she prefers not to be ridden, she will sometimes carry another awakened stuffed toy into combat.

Dolly can kick with either her front legs or her rear legs but not both at the same time.

Dolly speaks Common, Sylvan and Elvish.

Spell-like ability (Sp): 3/day an awakened stuffed toy can cast haste on itself as a 6th level Sorcerer. However, this effect actually triples the creature's base speed.

Substitute Breath (Sp): Because an awakened stuffed creature doesn't have a breath of its own, it can create a magical effect from its mouth that would substitute an exhaling breath. This breath is mostly used by the creature to fire needles from its blowgun, causing the needles to have a range of 30 feet.

Inanimate Pretend (Ex): An awakened stuffed toy can hold itself so still it appears to be a regular stuffed toy. An observer must succeed on a DC 20 Spot check to notice the creature is really alive.

Unusual body (Ex): An awakened stuffed toy is mostly stuffing, thus suffers very little from bludgeoning attacks. Because of this it gets a resistance to bludgeon (10), and takes no falling damage.

Skills: An awakened stuffed toy gets a +8 bonus to Move Silently checks because of its soft body structure.

Proficient with blowgun and rapiers (needle): Using needles as a weapon comes as second nature to this creature.

Bonus feats: Because awakened stuffed toys are born from magic, therefore they do not require material components for their spell (if they are casters) as if they had the Eschew Materials feat. However, costly material or focus item are still needed. It also receives Toughness as a bonus feat. Dolly has 2 bonus fighter feats (weapon finesse and weapon focus (hoof) as well.

Notes: I statted out Dolly using elite stats [15, 14, 13, 12, 10, 8] assigned them thusly, Str 15, Dex 14, Con 8, Wis 13, Int 12 and Cha 10 and then applied the Awakened Stuffed Toy template.

Ted E. Bear
Ted E. Bear, male awakened stuffed toy, spellthief 1
Diminutive Construct
Hit Dice: ¼1d6+3 (4 hp)
Initiative: +2
Speed: 10 ft. (2 squares)
Armor Class: 18 (+4 size, +2 Dex +2 Chain Shirt) touch 16, flat-footed 14
BAB/Grapple: +0/-10
Attack: Diminutive Rapier +3 melee (1d2) or Blowgun + 6 ranged (1 plus poison)
Full Attack: Diminutive Rapier +3 melee (1d2) or Blowgun +6 ranged (1 plus poison)
Space/Reach: 1 ft./ 0 ft.
Special Attacks: Sneak attack 1d6, steal spell (0 or 1st level)
Special Qualities: Damage Resistance 10/piercing or slashing, darkvision 60 ft.; inanimate pretend; immunity to poison, sleep effects, paralysis, stunning, disease, death effects and necromancy effects; low-light vision; spell-like ability; substitute breath; trapfinding; unusual body; vulnerability to fire
Saves: Fort +0, Ref +0, Will +2
Abilities: Str 7 (-2), Dex 14 (+2), Con —, Int 10, Wis 7 (-2), Cha 15 (+2)
Skills: Appraise +4, Bluff +6, Disable Device +4, Escape Artist +6, Hide +14, Move Silently +8, Tumble +6, UMD +6
Feats: Eschew Materials (B), Toughness (B) Weapon Focus (Rapier)
Environment: Any Land
Organization: Solitary or collection (2-10)
Challenge Rating: 1
Advancement: by Class, Favored Class: Spellthief

A stuffed bear with button eyes dressed in a pirate costume sits behind a chair. You think nothing of it until you feel a pinch and the dizziness sets in....

Ted can carry 5 lbs. as a light load, 6-11 lbs. aa a medium load, 12-17 lbs. as a heavy load.

Ted speaks Common and Sylvan.

Ted is proficient with blowgun and rapiers (needle), Using needles as a weapon comes as second nature to him. As a spellthief, Ted is proficient with all simple weapons and light armor but not with shields. He can cast spellthief spells while wearing light armor without incurring the normal arcane spell failure chance.

As a construct Ted cannot heal damage naturally but can be repaired through the use of repair damage spells. He can also repair himself if he can find enough felt, straw and thread to patch himself up. Repairs take 1d4 minutes per hit point lost.

As a construct Ted is immune to any effect that requires a Fortitude save (unless the effect also works on objects or is harmless). He is not at risk from death from massive damage but is immediately destroyed when reduced to 0 hit points or fewer. Unlike other constructs, Ted is not immune to mind-affecting spells and abilities.

Since he was never alive, Ted cannot be raised or resurrected. He does not need to eat, sleep or breathe, and can’t benefit from the effects of consumable spells and magic items such as heroes’ feast and potions. However, Ted must rest for 8 hours before preparing spells.

Combat

Ted prefers to use his weapons in combat as he lacks suitable claws.

Inanimate Pretend (Ex): An awakened stuffed toy can hold itself so still it appears to be a regular stuffed toy. An observer must succeed on a DC 20 Spot check to notice the creature is really alive.

Sneak Attack (Ex): A spellthief deals an extra 1d6 points of damage when flanking an opponent or at any time when the target would be denied its Dexterity bonus. This extra damage applies to ranged attacks only if the target is with 30 feet.

Steal Spell (Su): A spellthief can siphon spell energy away from his target and use it himself. A spellthief who hits an opponent with a successful sneak attack can choose to forego dealing 1d6 points of sneak attack damage and instead steal a spell, or the potential to cast a known spell from his target. If the target is willing, a spellthief can steal a spell with a touch as a standard action. See the Spellthief class feature in Complete Adventurer page 16.

Spell-like ability (Sp): 3/day an awakened stuffed toy can cast haste on itself as level 6 Sorcerer. However, this effect actually triples the creature's base speed.

Substitute Breath (Sp): Because an awakened stuffed doesn't have a breath of its own, it can create a magical effect from its mouth that would substitute an exhaling breath. This breath is mostly used by the creature to fire needles from its blowgun, causing the needles to have a range of 30 ft.

Trapfinding (Ex): A spellthief can use the Search skill to locate traps with a DC higher than 20, and he can use Disable Devise to bypass a trap or disarm magical traps. See the Rogue class feature in the Player’s Handbook page 50.

Unusual body (Ex): An awakened stuffed toy is mostly stuffing, thus suffers very little from bludgeoning attacks. Because of this it gets a resistance to bludgeon (10), and takes no fall damage.

Skills: An awakened stuffed toy gets a +8 bonus to Move Silently checks because of its soft body structure.

Notes: I Started with non-elite array (13, 12, 11, 10, 9, 8) and put the Str 11, Dex 12, Con 8, Int. 10, Wis 9, Cha 13. Template made the following changes: Str 7, Dex 14, Con —, Int 10, Wis 7, Cha 15; 24 Skill with points 4 ranks in each Appraise, Bluff, Disable Device, Escape Artist, Tumble and UMD. Bonus skills +12 to Hide for size and +8 to Move Silently.

A chain shirt for a Tiny or smaller creature costs 1/2 the price [Ted can fit into Humanoid sized chain shirt] and it weighs 1/10 the weight, however it only offers 1/2 the AC bonus. [50 gp, weight 2.5 lbs and AC +2]

I simply used Riven_T_McGuire's template to make my creatures. He had the idea for the template and Ted E. Bear was created LONG before the movie Ted. Pfft.

Debby

ElectricMadman
2013-08-12, 12:42 PM
Haven't we all wanted our stuffed animals to be animate?

AuraTwilight
2013-08-12, 02:09 PM
Ohmergerd, cuuuute <3

killer_monk
2013-08-12, 10:43 PM
As an awakened construct, an Awakened Stuffed Toy has the following features.
• An Awakened Stuffed Toy derives its Hit Dice, base attack bonus progression, saving throws, and skill points from the class it selects.

Traits: An Awakened Stuffed Toy possesses the following traits.
• -4 Strength, +2 Dexterity, –2 Wisdom, +2 Charisma
• Diminutive: As Diminutive constructs, awakened stuffed toys gains a +4 size bonus to Armor Class, a +4 size bonus on attack rolls, and a +12 size bonus on Hide checks, but its lifting and carrying limits, as well as its HP are one-quarters of those of a Medium character
• An awakened stuffed toy's base land speed is 10 feet.
• No Constitution score.
• Low-light vision.
• Darkvision out to 60 feet.
• Unlike other constructs, an awakened stuffed toy is not immune to mind-affecting spells and abilities.
• Immunity to poison, sleep effects, paralysis, stunning, disease, death effects, and necromancy effects.
• Cannot heal damage naturally, but can be repaired through the use of repair damage spells. It also can repair itself if it can find enough felt, straw, and thread to patch itself up with. Repairing itself in this manner 1d4 minutes/HP lost.
• Not subject to critical hits, nonlethal damage, ability damage, ability drain, fatigue, exhaustion, or energy drain.
• Immunity to any effect that requires a Fortitude save (unless the effect also works on objects, or is harmless).
• Vulnerability to fire: Because the body of an awakened stuffed toy is stuffed with straw or cotton, it’s easily flammable and will take more damage from fire based attacks.
• Not at risk of death from massive damage. Immediately destroyed when reduced to 0 hit points or less.
• Since it was never alive, an awakened construct cannot be raised or resurrected.
• Spell-like ability (Sp): 3/day an awakened stuffed toy can cast haste on itself as a 6th level Sorcerer. However, this effect actually triples the creature's base speed.
• Substitute breath (Sp): Because an awakened stuffed doesn't have a breath of its own, it can create a magical effect from its mouth that would substitute an exhaling breath. This breath is mostly used by the creature to fire needles from its blowgun, causing the needles to have a range of 30 feet.
• Inanimate Pretend (Ex): An awakened stuffed toy can hold itself so still it appears to be a regular stuffed toy. An observer must succeed on a DC 20 Spot check to notice the creature is really alive.
• Unusual Body (Ex): An awakened stuffed toy is mostly stuffing, thus suffers very little from bludgeoning attacks. Because of this it gets a resistance to bludgeon (10), and takes no falling damage.
• Skills: An awakened stuffed toy gets a +8 bonus to Move Silently checks because of its soft body structure.
• Proficient with blowgun and rapier (needle), Using needles as a weapon comes as second nature to this creature.
• Bonus feats: Because awakened stuffed toys are born from magic, therefore they do not require material components for their spell (if they are casters) as if they had the Eschew Materials feat. However, costly material or focus item are still needed. It also receives Toughness as a bonus feat.
• An awakened stuffed toy does not need to eat, sleep, or breathe, and can't benefit from the effects of consumable spells and magic items such as heroes' feast and potions. However, an awakened stuffed toy caster must rest for 8 hours before preparing spells.
• Favored class: Spellthief. A multiclass awakened stuffed toy's spellthief class does not count when determining whether he takes an experience point penalty for multiclassing.
• Level adjustment: +1.
• Automatic languages: Common. Bonus Languages: Sylvan.

I don't think it even needs the +1 to adjustment. It looks weak enough to be LA-0 to me.

And I do have to compliment you on having one of the cutest races I've seen for awhile.

Debihuman
2013-08-13, 04:38 PM
I didn't make the Template. All the credit has to go to Riven_T_McGuire for an excellent Template. I made this a bit clearer in my original post.

I just used his template to make Dolly and Ted. I have to admit, they were a lot of fun to create. I'm thinking that one day I'll have to make more of these or turn them into a Swarm. A collection of awakened stuffed toys could be fierce. Minor updates to both Ted and Dolly (changed organization to reflect that group of these is a "collection"). Hehehe.

Debby

radmelon
2013-08-13, 09:40 PM
Funny you should post this when just yesterday I was contemplating making something almost identical to this concept. This simplifies things greatly on my part.

Toy Killer
2013-08-14, 03:16 AM
I fight the urge to live up to my Screen Name...

But looks great. I agree that they could probably pass as a LA:0 race though...

gurgleflep
2013-08-15, 04:05 AM
Okay, these are awesome :smallamused: I'm gonna use these little things as some form of protection for an orphanage if I can think of a way to get it worked in.
My one question is what do you tack it onto? It's a template but it doesn't say (or at least I"m not seeing, it's 4:04AM) "This can be added to humanoids, monstrous humanoids, ..."

Andion Isurand
2013-08-15, 04:40 AM
I would make the awakened stuffed toys Tiny size for this reason here:

Tiny Creatures with Reach Weapons

As noted earlier, using a reach weapon doubles your natural reach. If your natural reach is 0, your reach is still 0 when you wield a reach weapon. As a variant, allow Tiny creatures a reach of 5 feet when they use reach weapons.

http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/rg/20041102a

I would also just make them a PC race using the living construct type, same as Warforged.

===================================

Living Construct Subtype (Ex): Warstuffed are constructs with the living construct subtype, and assume all the traits that warforged do (ECS 23).
-4 Strength, +2 Dexterity, –2 Wisdom, +2 Charisma: Warstuffed are nimble and delightful, but are flighty and rather weak.
Tiny: As a Tiny creature, a warstuffed gains a +2 size bonus to Armor Class, a +2 size bonus on attack rolls, and a +8 size bonus on Hide checks, but he uses smaller weapons than small creatures use, and his lifting and carrying limits are one-half of those of a Medium character.
Warstuffed base land speed is 15 feet.
Damage reduction 2/slashing or piercing
Bouncy: Warstuffed are well insulated against massive blunt trauma. Weapon damage remains unaffected, but bludgeoning damage that affects all or most of the entire body (such as constriction and falling damage) is rolled twice and the lesser value is applied.
Light Fortification (Ex): When a critical hit or sneak attack is scored on a warstuffed, there is a 25% chance that the critical hit or sneak attack is negated and damage is instead rolled normally.
+2 racial bonus on Move Silently checks.
Automatic Languages: Common. Bonus Languages: None.
Favored Class: Sorcerer. A multiclass warstuffed’s sorcerer class does not count when determining whether he takes an experience point penalty for multiclassing.

Custom Errata
Eberron Campaign Setting, page 23
Warforged gain the following gain the following special quality:
"Climate Tolerant (Ex): Warforged suffer little harm from environmental extremes of heat or cold. They do not have to make Fortitude saves in extreme environments between –50° and 140° F (severe cold to severe heat). This ability does not provide any protection from fire or cold damage. This ability counts as if a warforged had the Cold Endurance and Heat Endurance feats for purposes of fulfilling prerequisites for other feats or prestige classes."

Debihuman
2013-08-15, 09:57 AM
I would make the awakened stuffed toys Tiny size for this reason here

I would also just make them a PC race using the living construct type, same as Warforged.

While your template is better suited for Eberron and PC characters (there are significant drawbacks to diminutive PCs), there's really nothing wrong with the original template. The problem I have with your template is that Living constructs really aren't suited for outside Eberron and cutesy stuffed animal creatures don't even come close to fitting into Eberron.

Warstuffed? That's going in the wrong direction from where I was headed. Not that it couldn't fit, but it's got the wrong concept entirely. Living constructs have a Con score which awakened constructs do not. I don't want to add those mechanics since they're not part of the original template. Also, they're not necessary for playing a stuffed animal. Furthermore, Tiny sized is too big for these stuffed animals. They're obviously meant to resemble Beanie BabiesTM.

Reach is problem for diminutive creatures but that's a minor quibble.

Debby

AuraTwilight
2013-08-15, 02:13 PM
The problem I have with your template is that Living constructs really aren't suited for outside Eberron

Uh, says who?

Debihuman
2013-08-15, 11:11 PM
I'm not a big fan of Eberron. Warforged just don't feel terribly faux Medieval to me. Then again, I kinda want to turn one into a cyberman from Doctor Who. That could be interesting. I may do that one day. In the meantime, I decided to play with the template.

This one cheats a bit as I gave Zhu Powerful Build as I didn't want to increase her size. It doesn't change her space and reach but makes her a bit tougher. She also started with elite stats.

This one is more complex as Monk class gives her a lot of option. Some of the monk benefits also duplicates benefits gained from awakened stuffed animal template.

Wu Zhu Giant Panda, Female Awakened Stuffed Toy, Monk 5
Diminutive Construct
Hit Dice: ¼5d8+8 (13 hp)
Initiative: +5
Speed: 20 ft. (with monk bonus) 4 squares, 10 ft. base, 30 ft. (when hasted)
Armor Class: 17 (+4 size, +2 Dex +1 Wis), Touch 17, Flat-footed 15
BAB/Grapple: +3/-5
Attack: Tiny +1 ghost touch shocking nunchaku +8 melee (1d3+1 plus 1d6 electricity) or unarmed strike +7 melee (1d4) or blowgun +9 ranged (1)
Full Attack: Tiny +1 ghost touch shocking nunchaku +8 melee (1d3+1 plus 1d6 electricity) or flurry of blows with Tiny +1 ghost touch shocking nunchaku +7/+7 (1d3+1 plus 1d6 electricity) or unarmed strike +7 melee (1d4) or flurry of blows unarmed strike +6/+6 melee (1d4) or blowgun +9 ranged (1)
Space/Reach: 1 ft./0 ft.
Special Attacks: Flurry of blows, Ki strike, unarmed strike
Special Qualities: damage reduction 10/piercing or slashing, darkvision 60 ft.; evasion; fast movement; inanimate pretend; immunity to poison, sleep effects, paralysis, stunning, disease, death effects and necromancy effects; low-light vision; powerful build, purity of mind, slow fall, spell-like ability; still mind; substitute breath, unusual body, vulnerability to fire
Saves: Fort +4, Ref +6, Will +4
Abilities: Str 11, Con —, Dex 15, Wis 10, Int 10, Cha 10
Skills: Balance +9, Escape Artist +7, Hide +19, Jump -4 (+0 when hasted), Move Silently +15, Tumble +7
Feats: Eschew Materials (B), Toughness (B) Improved Unarmed Strike (B) Stunning Fist (B), Combat Reflexes (B), Improved Toughness, Improved Initiative
Environment: Any
Organization: Solitary or Collection (2-10)
Challenge Rating: 5
Treasure: Tiny +1 ghost touch shocking nunchaku
Alignment: Lawful neutral
Advancement: By class

Zhu, an over-stuffed toy panda, wears a homespun saffron-colored robe and wide-brimmed straw hat. Despite her comical appearance, she takes her martial arts training seriously. She usually carries her nunchaku in her hand and her blowgun strapped to her back.

Zhu speaks Common and Sylvan.

Combat

Zhu prefers to use her nunchaku in battle with her flurry of blows first. Her only ranged attack is her blowgun, though she never uses poison with it.

Armor Class Bonus (Ex): When unarmored and unencumbered, the monk adds her Wisdom bonus (if any) to her AC. In addition, a monk gains a +1 bonus to AC at 5th level. These bonuses to AC apply even against touch attacks or when the monk is flat-footed. She loses these bonuses when she is immobilized or helpless, when she wears any armor, when she carries a shield, or when she carries a medium or heavy load.

Evasion (Ex): At 2nd level or higher if a monk makes a successful Reflex saving throw against an attack that normally deals half damage on a successful save, she instead takes no damage. Evasion can be used only if a monk is wearing light armor or no armor. A helpless monk does not gain the benefit of evasion.

Fast Movement (Ex): At 3rd level, as a monk, Zhu gained a 10-foot unarmored speed bonus. A monk in armor or carrying a medium or heavy load loses this extra speed.

Flurry of Blows (Ex): When unarmored, a monk may strike with a flurry of blows at the expense of accuracy. When doing so, she may make one extra attack in a round at her highest base attack bonus, but this attack takes a -2 penalty, as does each other attack made that round. This penalty applies for 1 round, so it also affects attacks of opportunity the monk might make before her next action. When a monk reaches 5th level, the penalty lessens to -1. A monk must use a full attack action to strike with a flurry of blows.

When using flurry of blows, a monk may attack only with unarmed strikes or with special monk weapons (kama, nunchaku, quarterstaff, sai, shuriken, and siangham). She may attack with unarmed strikes and special monk weapons interchangeably as desired. When using weapons as part of a flurry of blows, a monk applies her Strength bonus (not Str bonus × 1½ or ×½) to her damage rolls for all successful attacks, whether she wields a weapon in one or both hands. The monk can’t use any weapon other than a special monk weapon as part of a flurry of blows.

In the case of the quarterstaff, each end counts as a separate weapon for the purpose of using the flurry of blows ability. Even though the quarterstaff requires two hands to use, a monk may still intersperse unarmed strikes with quarterstaff strikes, assuming that she has enough attacks in her flurry of blows routine to do so.

Ki Strike (Su): At 4th level, a monk’s unarmed attacks are empowered with ki. Her unarmed attacks are treated as magic weapons for the purpose of dealing damage to creatures with damage reduction. Ki strike improves with the character’s monk level.

Nunchaku: The nunchaku is a special monk weapon. This designation gives a monk wielding a nunchaku special options. With a nunchaku, you get a +2 bonus on opposed attack rolls made to disarm an enemy (including the roll to avoid being disarmed if such an attempt fails).

Powerful Build (Ex): The physical girth of awakened stuffed toy giant pandas lets them function in many ways as if they were one size category larger. Whenever an awakened stuffed toy giant panda is subject to a size modifier or special size modifier for an opposed check (such as during grapple checks, bull rush attempts, and trip attempts), he is treated as one size larger if doing so is advantageous to him. An awakened stuffed toy giant panda is also considered to be one size larger when determining whether a creature’s special attacks based on size (such as improved grab or swallow whole) can affect him. An awakened stuffed toy giant panda can use weapons designed for a creature one size larger without penalty. However, his space and reach remain those of a creature of his actual size. The benefits of this racial trait stack with the effects of powers, abilities, and spells that change the subject’s size category.

Proficient with blowgun and rapiers (needle): Using needles as a weapon comes as second nature to this creature.

Purity of Body (Ex): At 5th level, a monk gains immunity to all diseases except for supernatural and magical diseases.

Slow Fall (Ex): At 4th level or higher, a monk within arm’s reach of a wall can use it to slow her descent. When first using this ability, she takes damage as if the fall were 20 feet shorter than it actually is. The monk’s ability to slow her fall (that is, to reduce the effective distance of the fall when next to a wall) improves with her monk level until at 20th level she can use a nearby wall to slow her descent and fall any distance without harm.

Spell-like ability (Sp): 3/day an awakened stuffed toy can cast haste on itself as a 6th level Sorcerer. However, this effect actually triples the creature's base speed.

Still Mind (Ex): A monk of 3rd level or higher gains a +2 bonus on saving throws against spells and effects from the school of enchantment.

Substitute Breath (Sp): Because an awakened stuffed creature doesn't have any breath of its own, it can create a magical effect from its mouth that would substitute an exhaling breath. This breath is mostly used by the creature to fire needles from its blowgun, causing the needles to have a range of 30 feet.

Unarmed Strike: At 1st level, a monk gains Improved Unarmed Strike as a bonus feat. A monk’s attacks may be with either fist interchangeably or even from elbows, knees, and feet. This means that a monk may even make unarmed strikes with her hands full. There is no such thing as an off-hand attack for a monk striking unarmed. A monk may thus apply her full Strength bonus on damage rolls for all her unarmed strikes.

Usually a monk’s unarmed strikes deal lethal damage, but she can choose to deal nonlethal damage instead with no penalty on her attack roll. She has the same choice to deal lethal or nonlethal damage while grappling.
A monk’s unarmed strike is treated both as a manufactured weapon and a natural weapon for the purpose of spells and effects that enhance or improve either manufactured or natural weapons.
As a diminutive 5th level monk with powerful build, Zhu’s unarmed strikes deal 1d4 points of damage.

Unusual body (Ex): An awakened stuffed toy is mostly stuffing, thus suffers very little from bludgeoning attacks. Because of this it gets a resistance to bludgeon (10), and takes no falling damage.

Bonus feats: Because awakened stuffed toys are born from magic, therefore they do not require material components for their spell (if they are casters) as if they had the Eschew Materials feat. However, costly material or focus item are still needed. It also receives Toughness as a bonus feat. Zhu has a Improved Unarmed Strike, Stunning Fist and Combat Reflexes as a bonus feats from being a monk.

Debby

dysprosium
2013-08-16, 12:05 PM
I really like the idea of this template. I've been teaching my daughters how to play D&D and I think awakened stuffed toys would make a fun addition to their experience.

But I have a question: Why is their HD 1/4? I didn't see in the template.

Debihuman
2013-08-16, 12:21 PM
" as well as its HP are one-quarters of those of a Medium character."

It's not worded well, but it is supposed to say that these get 1/4 the HPs per HD. That was one of the reasons they get Toughness as a bonus feat.

While these can be played as PCs, they're really low on hit points mostly because they don't even qualify for any bonus hit points due to their small size.

If your daughter wants to play one, I'd remove that restriction for PC awakened stuffed toys.

I still have a few ideas kicking around: a rainbow pony sorcerer or wizard [inspired of course by My Little PonyTM, a cat fencer (yeah I want Puss-n-Boot), a blue-spotted monster under-the bed, a purple and pink dragon [based either the What's New Dragon by Phil Folio or Disney's Figment] and possibly a donkey bard.

I'm not sure where I want to start and it's gonna take a while to sort them out.

Okay, these are awesome :smallamused: I'm gonna use these little things as some form of protection for an orphanage if I can think of a way to get it worked in.
My one question is what do you tack it onto? It's a template but it doesn't say (or at least I"m not seeing, it's 4:04AM) "This can be added to humanoids, monstrous humanoids, ..."

The base creature is basically an awakened diminutive animated object (which is so boring nobody created actual stats for it). It must be a stuffed toy. To be less disgusting than normal we're just ignoring the way constructs are awakened since 1. it's gross and 2. not kid-friendly. These are awakened via the awaken construct spell but no brains from sentient creatures should be involved. Yuck.

Stuffed toys obviously come in a huge variety of shapes and some have additional features (variant stuffed toys). Since these have less than 1 HD, they use their class HD as stated in the Template.

When I make a dragon, it will NOT be able to breathe fire for example. Fire is bad for stuffing. Not using soap bubbles since there is already a homebrew of the What's New Dragon over on Enworld. It will be able to fly since dragons can do that (and at double its land speed most likely but no faster). I may also add the Cowardly trait. I'm sorely tempted to name it Puce the Pigment Dragon, but that's kinda cheesy too. This may be scratched until I have better inspiration.

Basically, I am reverse engineering the base creature. With the template, I can figure out what the base creature should be like and then I adjust accordingly.

You'll note, I do follow the rules almost rabidly. The reason for this is balance. I want my creatures to all be more or less on par at a base level. A tweak here and there for flavor and design but that's it.

As these are NPCs more than monsters, I'm just assigning the classes willy-nilly, taking inspiration from a variety of sources.

Rainbow Pony might even be tie-dyed instead. Hmm. Tie-Dyed pony casting color spray. Must stop myself from naming him Roy G. Biv. Oh, I failed that save....

Debby

Debihuman
2013-08-25, 02:42 PM
Newest member of the awakened stuffed toy collection.

Roy G. Biv Tie-Dyed Stuffed Pony
Male Diminutive Awakened Stuffed Toy, Wizard 2
Diminutive Construct
Hit Dice: ¼2d4+3 (5 hp)
Initiative: +2
Speed: 10 ft.
Armor Class: 16 (+4 size +2 Dex), touch 16, flat-footed 14
BAB/Grapple:+1/-13
Attack: Blowgun +7 ranged (1 plus poison) or rapier +3 melee (1d2-2)
Full Attack: Blowgun +7 ranged (1 plus poison) or rapier +3 melee (1d2-2)
Space/Reach: 1 ft./0 ft.
Special Attacks: Spells
Special Qualities: Damage resistance 10/piercing or slashing, darkvision 60 ft.; inanimate pretend; immunity to poison, sleep effects, paralysis, stunning, disease, death effects and necromancy effects; low-light vision; spell-like ability; substitute breath, unusual body, vulnerability to fire
Saves: Fort +0, Ref +2, Will +4
Abilities: Str 6, Dex 14, Con — Int 15, Wis 12 Cha 15
Skills: Concentration + 5, Decipher Script +7, Knowledge (Arcana) +7, Move Silently +10, Spellcraft+7, Listen +3 (with Ziggy), Spot +3 (bright light only) (+5 with ziggy) (+7 with ziggy and bright light only)
Feats: AlertnessZiggy, Eschew Materials B, Scribe Scroll B, ToughnessB, Spell Penetration
Environment: Any land
Organization: Solitary or Collection (2-10)
Challenge Rating: 2
Advancement: By class

Roy is a tie-dyed blue and green pony with rainbow circles on his haunches and a yellow star sewn on his forehead. He was obviously much loved, as he’s a bit worn and shaggy. His hooves are too soft to use a weapons but he has spells to sling at opponents.

Roy speaks Common, Draconic, Elven, and Sylvan

Combat

Roy casts spells first but if threatened he calls his familiar to carry him to safety.

Weapon and Armor Proficiency: Wizards are proficient with the club, dagger, heavy crossbow, light crossbow, and quarterstaff, but not with any type of armor or shield. Armor of any type interferes with a wizard’s movements, which can cause her spells with somatic components to fail.

Familiar: Roy has a hawk familiar named Ziggy.

Ziggy, Roy’s hawk familiar
Tiny Magical Beast
Hit Dice: 1d8 (2 hp)
Initiative: +3
Speed: 10 ft. (2 squares), fly 60 ft. (average)
Armor Class: 18 (+2 size, +3 Dex, +3 natural), touch 15, flat-footed 15
Base Attack/Grapple: +0/-10
Attack: Talons +5 melee (1d4-2)
Full Attack: Talons +5 melee (1d4-2)
Space/Reach: 2½ ft./0 ft.
Special Attacks: —
Special Qualities: Empathic Link Familiar, Low-light vision, Improved Evasion Familiar, Share SpellsFamiliar
Saves: Fort +2, Ref +5, Will +4
Abilities: Str 6, Dex 17, Con 10, Int 6, Wis 14, Cha 6
Skills: Listen +4, Spot +16
Feats: Alertness, Weapon FinesseB
Environment: Temperate forests
Organization: Solitary or pair
Challenge Rating: 1/3
Advancement: —
Level Adjustment: —

Spells: A wizard begins play with a spellbook containing all 0-level wizard spells plus three 1st-level spells of your choice. For each point of Intelligence bonus the wizard has, the spellbook holds one additional 1st-level spell of your choice. At each new wizard level, she gains two new spells of any spell level or levels that she can cast (based on her new wizard level) for her spellbook. At any time, a wizard can also add spells found in other wizards’ spellbooks to his own.

Spells Known: all 0-level spells, plus seven 1st-level spells Mage Armor, Shield, Read Magic, Charm Person, Magic Missile, Identify, Reduce Person

Substitute Breath (Sp): Because an awakened stuffed creature doesn't have a breath of its own, it can create a magical effect from its mouth that would substitute an exhaling breath. This breath is mostly used by the creature to fire needles from its blowgun, causing the needles to have a range of 30 feet.

Unusual body (Ex): An awakened stuffed toy is mostly stuffing, thus suffers very little from bludgeoning attacks. Because of this, it gets a resistance to bludgeon (10), and takes no falling damage.

Bonus feats: Because awakened stuffed toys are born from magic, therefore they do not require material components for their spell (if they are casters) as if they had the Eschew Materials feat. However, costly material or focus item are still needed. Roy has Scribe Scroll as a bonus feat from his wizard class.