PDA

View Full Version : Universal Spellcasting: Discussion and Ideas

wayfare
2013-08-13, 01:21 PM
Hey All:

I've been gone for a while finishing up my masters, but now I am back with more 'Brewing to do!

First on my list is my goal of creating a d20 system where all classes have access to magic. I have two basic ways of doing this:

1) All classes can access all spells, but in order to cast a spell you must have a (natural) attribute modifier equal to the spell level.

a) In this case, spell levels would cap out at 5, with a progression of 1 spell level per 4 character levels.

2) All classes have their own unique spell list, which goes up to spell level 7 (3 class levels per spell level).

a) "Pure Casters" have the advantage of learning ANY spell.

In either system, what would be the best way of casting spells:

A) Spells per day as normal 3.5

B) Cooldown based on spell level (with "pure casters" can reduce via class features)

C) Lose an action to make a check and regain a cast spell. DC varies by spell level, and check is d20 + Casting Attribute + Class level.

Thanks for any input!

DecimalPoint
2013-08-13, 01:39 PM
My gut reaction is preferring the second method, but with either method, how would you handle the half casters (paladin or ranger) and partial casters (bard)?

Also, I'd be tempted to go with method A) or B) but having said that, how would you go about it in regards to the aforementioned partial and half casters?

Certainly a nice idea' helps to bring classes like fighter up :)

wayfare
2013-08-13, 04:45 PM
My gut reaction is preferring the second method, but with either method, how would you handle the half casters (paladin or ranger) and partial casters (bard)?

Also, I'd be tempted to go with method A) or B) but having said that, how would you go about it in regards to the aforementioned partial and half casters?

Certainly a nice idea' helps to bring classes like fighter up :)

Thanks for the Input!

Everybody has the same capabilities in this, so halfcasters just become fullcasters with a pre-determined spell list. The only difference with the traditional "full casting classes" is the ability to reduce cooldown.

I am tempted to give Halfcasters and that lot a larger spell list than the other classes, just as a throwback to their halfcaster nature.

So, maybe:

Noncaster: limited spell list (8-10 spells of each level?)
Halfcaster: bigger spell list, but still limited (12-15 spells of each level)
Fullcaster: Any spell you want

DecimalPoint
2013-08-13, 05:04 PM
Noncaster: limited spell list (8-10 spells of each level?)
Halfcaster: bigger spell list, but still limited (12-15 spells of each level)
Fullcaster: Any spell you want

Yeah that seems reasonable; Limit the spells/day too for half and non-casters, because it doesn't matter that you can only cast disintegrate, if you can cast it 50 times a day, then that's a problem in itself (exaggerated I know, but the point is there). :smallsmile:

wayfare
2013-08-14, 01:31 PM
Well, this is evolving quickly!

After a few hours of brewing last night, I decided that what I am going with to start out is a system where Spells are linked to attributes -- sort of how d20 Modern handles psionics.

I am also only gong to have 4 classes to start out with:

Warrior: Combat Expert
Rogue: Stealth and mobility
Expert: Scholar and Skillmonkey
Diplomat: Skillful social maneuverer

Another major change will be in the area of skills -- All characters will begin play with a certain number of class skills that they are trained in. Classes have Asset Skills. If you have a class skill that is also an asset skill, you gain Skill Mastery in that skill and also gain a +2 bonus to your checks.

Thanks for the feedback, and keep more coming! I am hoping to create something that combines teh flexibility of a'la carte games with the predictable nature of level based systems.

DecimalPoint
2013-08-14, 01:35 PM
Cool stuff

Need to go out now, I've only skimmed your post; I'll study it when I get back, but could you explain the concept a bit more please?

wayfare
2013-08-14, 02:24 PM
Need to go out now, I've only skimmed your post; I'll study it when I get back, but could you explain the concept a bit more please?

I think I might actually start a new thread for it.

I guess what it boils down to is your skills being part of your character, not your class. So, if you want to be warrior who invests a lot in arcana and history, go ahead. Or if you want to be an expert who specializines in physical skills like tumble, climb, swim, balanac, etc -- thats also cool.

AS for the spells, every spell is linked to an attribute and to cast a spell you must have an attribute modifier equal to 10 + the spell level. The linked attribute also helps determine the save DC (which is always 10 + 1/2 character level + Linked attribute).