PDA

View Full Version : Avatar d20: Sandbending?

Madara
2013-08-13, 05:43 PM
So our group discovered this old homebrew project (https://sites.google.com/site/avatard20/) on the boards. It does a fantastic job of representing the setting and abilities of bending, and being wonderfully flexible, exactly what I want in a new system.

However, I'm trying to figure out the best way to represent Sandbending. Any suggestions?

Kane0
2013-08-13, 08:35 PM
Admittedly I'm not familiar with the ruleset, but sandbending seems to be a variant of earthbending with a pinch of airbending to me.
Perhaps adapting parts of both of those classes, picking appropriate seeds and feats and throwing in a bit of creative license would be a good start.

AmberVael
2013-08-14, 10:08 AM
I actually have what I think is a later version of Avatar d20, which I can't find anywhere anymore. It makes some very well placed changes in comparison to the one on google.

In any case, within my version Sandbending just uses Earthbending rules. It has a sidebar on it...

What it ends up being is basically that if you want to use sand and you're normally skilled with regular earth, the bending DC is +5 more for your seed. Or the other way around if you're normally skilled with sand. So an earthbender can do both easily enough, they're just better with one over the other.

Madara
2013-08-14, 10:12 AM
I actually have what I think is a later version of Avatar d20, which I can't find anywhere anymore. It makes some very well placed changes in comparison to the one on google.

In any case, within my version Sandbending just uses Earthbending rules. It has a sidebar on it...

What it ends up being is basically that if you want to use sand and you're normally skilled with regular earth, the bending DC is +5 more for your seed. Or the other way around if you're normally skilled with sand. So an earthbender can do both easily enough, they're just better with one over the other.

Does it have any side effects on the seeds? Like maybe reducing the action or anything?

AmberVael
2013-08-14, 10:16 AM
Nope. But it is worth noting that there are some seeds which favor sand over packed earth and stone, and of course the opposite as well.

I wish I could point out a place to download this, but brainmurk took it down. :smallfrown:

Madara
2013-08-14, 10:20 AM
Nope. But it is worth noting that there are some seeds which favor sand over packed earth and stone, and of course the opposite as well.

I wish I could point out a place to download this, but brainmurk took it down. :smallfrown:

Yeah, I had followed their download link from the google site, but it wasn't there. Oh well, thanks for the info anyways :smallsmile:

Lappy9001
2013-08-14, 05:13 PM
I have two different versions that I saved after one of the sites went down, so I backed them up just in case.

Here's the first one: [Link (https://www.dropbox.com/s/n1d47o5rhkg11wx/Avatar%20The%20Last%20Airbender%20D20%20RPG%20Prin table.pdf)]

And here's the second: [Link (https://www.dropbox.com/s/y01hzmxkf5xmsbi/Avatar%20the%20Last%20Airbender%20RPG.pdf)]

I have no idea which one you're talking about (or if these are different entirely), but the first has a couple of earth seeds that are pretty good for sand bending. The second has a sidebar on page 38 and just suggests that some forms are better than others. Just Control-F for "sand" and you'll find 'em :smallcool:

AmberVael
2013-08-14, 06:12 PM
And here's the second: [Link (https://www.dropbox.com/s/y01hzmxkf5xmsbi/Avatar%20the%20Last%20Airbender%20RPG.pdf)]

Ah, this would be the one I use. It makes bending not actually a skill, which solves a great many problems.

Madara
2013-08-14, 07:33 PM
Wow, those are absolutely wonderful, thank you :smallsmile:

Lappy9001
2013-08-14, 08:12 PM
Wow, those are absolutely wonderful, thank you :smallsmile:No problem :smallsmile:

Ghost Nappa
2013-08-17, 04:19 PM
There's nothing on Chi-Blocking from what I can tell. (Sorry Ty Lee)
There could also easily be bending prestige classes (Bloodbending), Toph's "Feet Vision"

I only read most of the second one but I feel like the ranges for many of the stuff is wrong: while many benders are perfectly capable in melee of bending and fighting, against trained, agile, close-ranged opponents benders are at a disadvantage. They can - like Spellcasters - be overwhelmed in melee by fast, quick strikes.

Airbenders, who focus on evasion and defense, are perhaps the sole exception (this is also played by the fact that there are so few of them, that the Equalists didn't have any training against them, and were fighting three "Small" individuals).

Lappy9001
2013-08-18, 08:49 PM
There's nothing on Chi-Blocking from what I can tell. (Sorry Ty Lee)
There could also easily be bending prestige classes (Bloodbending), Toph's "Feet Vision"

I only read most of the second one but I feel like the ranges for many of the stuff is wrong: while many benders are perfectly capable in melee of bending and fighting, against trained, agile, close-ranged opponents benders are at a disadvantage. They can - like Spellcasters - be overwhelmed in melee by fast, quick strikes.

Airbenders, who focus on evasion and defense, are perhaps the sole exception (this is also played by the fact that there are so few of them, that the Equalists didn't have any training against them, and were fighting three "Small" individuals).The second link has a feat progression to replicate Ty Lee's fighting.

Vermithrax
2013-08-20, 12:50 AM
Here's the latest incarnation of the system, as inspired by the original Avatar D20 Project PDFs from these boards: http://www.minmaxboards.com/index.php?board=93.0 Many thanks to dman11235 for his hard work and perseverance on it.

I may also still have some of the original design work from Eighth_Seraph, Mephibosheth, and AstralFire hidden on one of my backup drives from way back when I was peaching for them, but it's very preliminary stuff.

I've play-tested a little of the above system and the second linked PDF with my family, so believe me when I say you're in for quite a treat! Good luck. :smallsmile: