PDA

View Full Version : "Sorry Boss..." (3.5 Spell, PEACH)

Noctis Vigil
2013-08-16, 12:29 AM
Gibbslap
Evocation [Force]
Level: Sor/Wiz 0
Components: V, S
Casting Time: 1 standard action
Range: Close (25 ft. + 5 ft./2 levels)
Targets: One creature
Duration: Instantaneous
Saving Throw: None
Spell Resistance: Yes

You make a slapping motion with your hand and sigh as if you were disappointed, and a hand of force appears behind the target's head and slaps them. On a successful ranged touch attack, this spell deals the target one force damage, and the target must make a Concentration check (DC 10 + primary spellcasting ability modifier) if they're concentrating on something or lose control of whatever they're doing (such as focusing on a spell or flirting with a hot chick). This check is in addition to the DC11 Concentration check required for taking one point of damage.

DecimalPoint
2013-08-16, 04:20 AM
Even though the concentration checks are relatively low, I'd bump this up a spell level: a ranged touched attack followed by two forced saves, and if either one are failed they lose what they were doing? To me that's too powerful for a level 0 spell, or maybe I'm missing something. :smalleek:

Erik Vale
2013-08-16, 04:26 AM
BoEF has already beaten you to it, however it had one less save.

Noctis Vigil
2013-08-16, 05:08 AM
Hmm. I had asked a buddy who knows his stuff for an opinion on this, and he didn't think it was unreasonable, but I crunched some numbers using some basic NPC and PC stat blocks. At L1, this is usually ~50% on the larger check (I'm of course assuming with these numbers that the effected character has at least four ranks in Concentration, and at least a +1 to Con mod, whereas the caster has a caster stat of 18 (+4 mod)). Numbers get a little harder to figure out as levels are gained, but assuming anything like smart character build, this spell is mostly useless around 5th level; the DC11 save becomes basically a "why bother", and the caster stat save might be worth it, but I'd rather just throw a fireball for the damage save at that point. So it meets the prereqs of an L0 spell in my book: slightly useful on occasion at L1, doesn't level worth crap.

Feel free to argue with this if you think my logic is crap; number crunching is in no ways my strong point.

DecimalPoint
2013-08-16, 05:58 AM
Solid logic and reasoning

That's fair enough, if the evidence you've come up with says that it's useless around level 5, then yeah, it's a level 0 spell. Just at first glance it did seem a bit powerful but - assuming that you max out your concentration skill - you only need to roll a 3 at 5th level, so yeah. :smallsmile:

PeacefulOak
2013-08-16, 10:16 AM
Also, I laughed so hard when I read the spell.

There should be a prestige class that can use a version of this at will, but have it deal only a point of subdual damage.