PDA

View Full Version : Revisiting the Eldritch knight, a rewrite

TheThan
2006-12-17, 12:10 AM
When most people look at the Eldritch knight, they sort of groan, why? Because its simply not all that great when compared to newer fighter/wizard hybrid classes. But since I love the ideas behind the Eldritch knight, I thought I’d go through and revisit the class, updating and improving it. Keep in mind this is preliminary work, and I’d like input and advice to go along with it.

Improved Eldritch knight

Hit Dice: d8
Requirements:
Must be able to cast 3rd level arcane spells.
Must be proficient with all Martial weapons.

Class skills:
The eldritch knight’s class skills (and the key ability for each skill) are Concentration (Con), Craft (Int), Decipher Script (Int), Jump (Str), Knowledge (arcana) (Int), Knowledge (nobility and royalty) (Int), Ride (Dex), Sense Motive (Wis), Spellcraft (Int), and Swim (Str).
Skill Points: 2+int modifier

Weapons and armor proficiency:
The Eldritch knight gains proficiency in all armor and shields (except tower shields). But he gains no proficiency with any weapons.

Class features:

Armored mage:
Beginning at first level, an Eldritch knight learns how to compensate for arcane spell failure. He can now cast spells while wearing light armor, without risking arcane spell failure. This ability stacks with the armored mage ability from other classes, and applies to the next higher classification of armor (light, medium, and heavy) for which he can wear. As he progresses as an Edritch knight, his ability to compensate for arcane spell failure increases. At fifth level he can now wear medium armor without risking arcane spell failure, and at tenth level he gains the ability to wear heavy armor without risking arcane spell failure.

Summon familiar/improved familiar:
If an Eldritch knight does not have a familiar, he gains the ability to summon one just as a wizard or sorcerer can. If the Eldritch knight already has the ability to summon a familiar then he gains the Improved Familiar feat instead.

Arcane strike: at 4th level the Eldrich Knight learns to harness his magic to better enhance his combat prowess. He gains the Arcane Strike feat (page, 96 Complete Warrior).

Combat familiar:
At eighth level the Eldritch knight teaches his familiar to better handle itself in combat. The Eldritch knight gains the Combat Familiar feat (page 76 Player’s handbook II)

The eldritch knight (http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g42/TheThan/eldritchknight.jpg)

Cybren
2006-12-17, 08:41 PM
Did the EK need that much improvement?

Fizban
2006-12-18, 03:45 AM
I'd say it's about right like that, though the combat familiar isn't so great to me. I'd instead up the familiar's hp to 3/4 or full of the casters (which will still be below the fighters).
I'd also only give it cast in light armor, if you really want more you can take feats for it.
In fact, if the EK just got some bonus feats from a well made list it would be great.

Latronis
2006-12-18, 04:11 AM
Drop it back down to 9\10 spellcasting, keep armoured mage stacking but remove the advancements. So EK alone only give access to light armour with no ASF.

When I DM i let players take the ability to wear light armour without ASF instead of the bonus feat and it works fine, makes some decent characters.

Beelzebub1111
2006-12-18, 04:15 AM
Well, the eldritch knight was meant to take the still spell feat anyways.

TheThan
2006-12-19, 12:33 AM
Thanks for all the info and support guys. I like some of the ideas presented so far, and I might come up with a second draft a bit later. In the meantime keep the ideas rolling.

Balesirion
2006-12-19, 12:45 AM
Originally posted by TheThan
When most people look at the Eldritch knight, they sort of groan, why? Because its simply not all that great when compared to newer fighter/wizard hybrid classes. But since I love the ideas behind the Eldritch knight, I thought I’d go through and revisit the class, updating and improving it. Keep in mind this is preliminary work, and I’d like input and advice to go along with it.

I agree. With the advent of duskblades and all the combat/arcane spellcasting prestige classes, the eldritch knight has gone somewhat neglected, probably because the original is rather useless. Slow down the casting progression by one or two levels an this should be fine.

Valairn
2006-12-19, 05:26 AM
I think slowing down the spell progression is actually defeating the purpose of what an eldritch knight is supossed to represent, a primary caster that also isn't afraid to dice it up in melee. Think of it as turning your mage into more of a cleric. Cleric's get powerful spells and good melee ability, it shouldn't be too out of bounds to have a prestige class that allows the same.

The original lost 2 levels of casting ability, which if you were 1 fighter/9mage/10 eldritch knight you would still be able to cast 9th level spells and have a cleric base attack bonus. One of the problems with the class is you don't really get the benefits of the class until high level.

I think an increase in hit die is reasonable, and the armored caster is also a very very nice buff. I would say that those two things alone are almost perfect, more or less meaning at 20th level you would keep the original intent of the class and add that little bit of oomph to make it something people go that's worth losing 2 levels of spellcasting for.

That's my two cents.