PDA

View Full Version : New Nonmagical Equipment

Machete
2006-12-17, 10:31 AM
I've always liked low magic campaigns, and despite the existence of the Arms and Equipment Guide I sometimes feel there is a lack of junk to be bought or crafted. Also, I remembered seeing a Craft Hatter(it was called something else) in a book and thought there wasn't enough ridiculous stuff for them to make.

I tried my best to balance this but am totally open to suggestions.

Slime Soap - Heralded as an interesting invention first found when some adventurers tried to kill a Black Pudding by drowning it in thick soapy water and subsequently setting fire to it with oil when that didn’t work out too well which burned the wooden supports of the dungeon room down, slime soap is made by soap makers crazy enough to kill various oozes. Slime soap is in its most basic form ooze monster mixture, soap, and ashes. It is sold by the ounce jar and one pound jug. An ounce of Slime soap can disinfect and grease (as per the spell) one five foot square, grant a +1 Escape Artist bonus to a small creature trying to slip out of or through something(one additional ounce is needed for each size category larger and each size category small can be used one a continually doubling number of subjects), or act as an ooze deterrent in which ooze will not pass through the five foot square it is thrown on(as a grenade weapon or applied manually) for 10 rounds unless it senses food beyond it. In addition, it has medicinal properties: when an ounce is poured on the wounds of a small creature it stops the bleeding in 1d12 rounds (one additional ounce is needed for each size category larger and each size category small can be used one a continually doubling number of subjects) and it is also used to make a slime mask by the wealthy to get rid of wrinkles although the results are not really noticeable to most. Most Alchemists consider themselves too good to resort to making something like this. It takes a Craft: Soap check DC 10 or a Craft: Alchemy check DC 15 to make an ounce. Each ounce costs 50 gp and a pound jug is 800 gp.

(for adding a Craft: Herbology to the game)
Specific Antidote - Specific antidotes are not a product of Alchemy but of Herbology. They give the imbiber a second saving throw against each of the two affects of the poison that it is designed to counter with a +2 circumstance bonus. A specific antidote can be taken before or after the user is inflicted with the poison to give them the extra saving throw or throws against future poison affects. The specific antidote stays active in the user’s body for 15 minutes after being imbibed. The Craft: Herbology for a Specific Antidote is the average of the DCs of the poison’s affects averaged out. A Specific Antidote usually costs half the cost of the poison it treats. Weight negligible.

Armored Clothing Armor - Bits of adamantium, mithril, earthsilk, leafweave, and other exotic materials such as rare silks come together to form an expensive armor that is almost hard to tell from normal clothing. It provides an AC bonus of 1, is always considered masterwork armor, has a maximum Dex bonus of 15, and is considered light armor but does not slow the wearer down in any circumstance. It takes a Spot DC of 35 to realize that the armor is not clothing and a Search DC of 30. Because of its exotic nature and the work involved in making the armored clothing, it has a base cost for small and medium wearers of 4,000 gp. It takes a Craft: Tailoring check of DC 30 or Craft: Armorsmithing check of DC 35 to make. It weighs the same as the base clothing plus 2 lbs. for every size category larger than tiny.

Custom-Body Tailored Clothing - This clothing adds +1 Dexterity modifier (circumstance bonus) when applied to skills(and skills only). For instance, a character with Dexterity 6 or 7 would suffer only a -1 penalty when using Dexterity-based skills. This bonus is negated if the wearer wears armor with teh clothing besides shields. These clothings must be tailored to the specific individual and take three times longer than normal to craft due to the alterations and custom work involved. Any clothing crafted Custom-Body Tailored adds +15 to the Craft: Tailor DC to create and modifies the price x3+500gp. Does not effect the weight of the base garment.

Geta Shoes - These wooden shoes impose a -4 penalty on Move Silently checks made on hard surfaces. They require a Craft: Cobbler DC 10 or Craft: Woodworking DC 15 to make and cost 5 sp. 1 lb.

Armored Geta Shoes - These wooden shoes imbedded with metal strips impose a -3 penalty on Move Silently checks made on hard surfaces. These shoes are considered an exotic weapon and fighting with them untrained means the normal -4 penalty for unfamiliarity with them as a weapon. They deal damage as a gauntlet of their size. They require a DC Spot 25 or DC Search 15 to be recognized as armored geta shoes. They require a Craft: Cobbler DC 15 or Craft: Woodworking DC 20 or Craft: Weaponsmithing DC 25 to make and cost 50 gp. 2 lb.
(Yeah, these are mostly just for flavor)

Acrobat Shoes - These flexible shoes give the wearer a +1 circumstance bonus on Tumble checks because of their specific construction. They require a Craft: Cobbler DC 15 to make and cost 30 gp 1 lb.

Running Shoes - These shoes are prized by many for their unique construction. They add + 5ft. to the wearer’s base speed for movemen ton terrain that does not normally slow the wearer while worn. The secrets behind their construction are closely guarded by cobbler’s guilds. Cobbler’s guilds often only sell to customers who pass through various tests (magical and otherwise) to confirm that they won’t attempt to reproduce them or unravel the secrets of their construction. Some rumors say that a special cure is used that must be applied and aged for years while others say the leather of the shoes are from a certain monster or monsters but few know the truth. They require a Craft: Cobbler DC 30 to make and cost 1,000 gp. 1 lb.

High Jump Shoes - These shoes grant a +2 circumstance bonus on all jump checks. This is because the extra large soles are constructed of a chamber that holds a mixture of slime and ooze monsters mixed with leatherworking cure to produce an interesting jelly-like substance that is incredibly springy. In temperatures below freezing the jelly freezes and is altered so it is forevermore useless and the shoes bust open and are ruined. They require a Craft: Cobbler DC 25 to make and cost 700 gp. 2 lb.

Messenger Shoes - These shoes were crafted with the sore feet of a message runner in mind but are favored by some soldiers who do lots of marching as well. The comfortable padding and balanced rigidness of these shoes eliminates the speed penalty one incurs for movement while Fatigued (but doesn’t effect any movement penalties for any other status). They require a Craft: Cobbler DC 20 to make and cost 50 gp. 2 lb.

Steel Toe Boots- These boots are armored underneath the leather used in their construction. This requires a DC 30 Spot Check or DC 15 Search check to reveal by someone inspecting the shoes. They deal damage as a gauntlet of their size and fighting with them untrained incursonly a -1 penalty on attack and damage rolls. These shoes reduce the wearer’s land speed as if they were wearing heavy armor if constructed with steel or adamantium or no penalty to speed of using mithral. Adamantium Steel Toe Boots bypass hardness when sundering weapons or attacking objects, ignoring hardness less than 20. Steel Toe Boots require a Craft: Cobbler DC 20 or Craft: Weaponsmithing DC 30 to make and cost 500 gp for Steel, 1,500 gp for mithral, and 5,500 gp for adamantium. 4 lb.

Whip Belt - This belt is a specially crafted belt that can be used as a whip with no penalty for use. It is considered a non-masterwork small object(not weapon) for the purpose of hiding it on one’s body with Sleight of Hand with a +2 bonus to hiding it because of the special materials used to decorate and disguise it. Drawing a whip belt is a move equivalent action and doesn’t provoke an attack of opportunity. It takes a DC 20 Craft: Weaponsmithing check to make this and they cost 700 gp. 1 lb.

Rogue Cap - Very similar to those worn by scribes, scholars, and poets, they range from colorful to drab and can be decorated with gems and feathers although the price given here is for a somewhat colorful one with a single removable feather and places for more feathers. These large, comfortable puffy caps have a small brim and a sewn-in secret compartment surrounded by padding. This reusable compartment can hold up to 2 lbs. of stuff, none of which can be more than a foot long without drawing attention to the hat. Anything hidden in the hat gains a +2 or +4 circumstance bonus to the Sleight of Hand check to hide it there. Removing an object from the hat is a Standard action that involves removing the hat and putting it back on which can be disguised as normal behavior with a -5 to the Bluff check opposed to the watcher’s Sense Motive checks. These hats cost 40 gp for the standard hat with a +2 bonus to Sleight of Hand checks to hide things inside and 250 gp for hats with the +4 bonus to hiding things inside. The Craft: Hatter DC to create a Rogue Cap +2 is DC 15 and the DC to create a Rogue Cap +4 is DC 18. 1 lb.

Allweather Hat - These hats serve both as a airy wide-brimmed hat for hot weather and an insulated cap that covers the ears and neck for cold weather by having one design switch intro the other by turning the hat inside out. These hats give +1 circumstance bonus on check made to resist the effects of hot and cold weather. These finely constructed hats sell for 75 gp. Turning the hat inside out and reorienting it is a full-round action. The Craft: hatter DC to create an Allweather Hat is DC 15. Weight negligible.

Buckler Hat - These wide-brimmed hats are build around a metal buckler that has been pounded out of its normal shape. They provide dr/1-magic/adamantine versus traps, hazards, and attacks that are designed to damage only the top of the head (such as falling rocks). It takes a DC 20 Spot check to notice that the hat is unusual or a DC 10 Search check because of its weight and the metallic sound it makes when struck (DC 10 Listen check to notice). In addition, the hat can be removed as a free action and strapped to the arm as a steel buckler taking a Full Round action. For purposes of of proficiencies needed to wield it, it is considered a buckler. A Buckler hat costs 800 gp and 6 hours with a Craft: Armorsmith DC 15 to modify the buckler used and a Craft: Hatter DC 20 to make the hat around the buckler. 6 lb.

(something for Naruto fans)
Metal Wire - This metal wire has 5 hitpoints and can be burst with a DC 30 Strength check. One wire is 50 feet long and is made up of many ultrathin metals wire woven together. It is similar to garrote wire and can be used as such with a -3 penalty on attack and damage. It takes a Spot DC 20 check to see the wire in shadowy illumination or darkness and a Spot DC 15 in light or bright conditions. This is excellent for making snares and various traps out of very quickly or the kind that can be set up very quickly. Crafting one wire takes a Craft: Weaponsmithing DC 25 check. It is always considered masterwork for the purposes of enchanting.

jlousivy
2006-12-17, 01:33 PM
I don't know if it is along the same lines, but could something like....
Adamantine Full Helm- provides light fortification(or medium?) but imposes a -15 on listen, spot, and search checks due to the enclosed and protected nature of the helmet.
Cost???/craft DC???

edit: requries medium? heavy? armor proficiency or imposes double the penalty(-30)?

edit2: and for the most part i like the equipment, but the running shoes should probably cost a little more, seeing how it's the only way to increase movement speed inside an antimagic field

Machete
2006-12-17, 02:56 PM
I could put some penalty on the creation of the running shoes, like that they must be custom fit for the wearer or the maker must have either Run or Dash as a feat. Any more cost wise just makes it ridiculous.

EddieBird
2006-12-17, 07:17 PM
For purposes of pure adornment, here are some exotic materials you could use.

Feathers- The native tribes of hawaii made beautiful hats, capes and cloaks using thousands of tiny bird feathers. Why couldn't fantasy people have them too? The cost would probley be quite high due to the work involved collecting the feathers as well as making them into a garment.

Slime- The stringy slime of some exotic creature partially or fully dried and made into garments. Good for anybody who hates being touched or bumped into but doesn't mind the feel of the garment.

Glowing- Woven from the mycellium of a phosphorescent fungus clothes made from this glow green. Sadly the glow is not strong enough to make much of a light source so you can't use your shirt as a lamp.

Insect Wings- Butterflys and beetles often have colorful iridescent wings. Garments made from ordinary sized bugs would resemble the featherd garments above. If there are giant sized insects in your world a huge butterflys wings could make an attractive cape or giant beetles wing cases could make armor.

A Live Plant- A living vine with thin but strong stems woven into a garment. The plant is an epiphyte and has no roots. It needs daily spritzing with water and should not be left in a dark place. When first made most of the leaves are stripped off. However they will grow back on a well cared for plant resulting in a luxuriently leafy garment.

Edible- A garment made of thousands of edible beads. The beads could be berries, sugar, hardend bread or just about anything dried and long lasting that can be made into the shape of a bead. Alternately your world could have an edible fiber that can be woven into cloth.

Machete
2006-12-17, 09:27 PM
Well, feathers, insect parts, fungus, and living plants have been done before(not that more stuff is bad). Slime is interesting though. Slime shoes for jumping and slime soap are up.

Myatar_Panwar
2006-12-17, 09:35 PM
I do like the Custom-Body Tailored Clothing. Maybe there should also be custom-body armor that only works on light armor. You know, its for rouge like characters who want body-fit leather or chainshirts.

Machete
2006-12-17, 09:46 PM
I feel that would be a bad idea because Armor already has Masterwork. This is just giving clothing a chance, especially for the sneaky types with such high Dex scores that armor isn't feasable.

I should put in there that the bonus is negated if used with armor(because teh point is that you are free to move).

Myatar_Panwar
2006-12-17, 10:01 PM
Hmmmm, true. I forgot about masterwork. I dont know, maybe a type of skin tight armor that lets you get 1 more for your highest dex? So if you had a Skin-Tight chain shirt, then the max dex bonus would be +5.

Hmmmm, I like the idea of that! But I think it should be expensive. Like 5 times the base price of the armor or more. I dont think they have any type of armor that gives you a little more dex.

Machete
2006-12-17, 10:19 PM
Well, there is already mithral which does that.

Slime and feather armor maybe? Gross out... lol

Myatar_Panwar
2006-12-17, 10:25 PM
Mithril? *smacks self on forehead*
Duh!! Man Im off tonight. But does mithril even work for things like leather or hide which has no metal? In that case, skin-tight seems like a good invention. Just make around the same price as mithril.

Machete
2006-12-17, 11:07 PM
I think it would unbalance the game.

EddieBird
2006-12-18, 05:21 PM
I got the slime idea watching a program on undersea life. They did a few scenes around the hagfish. Hagfish produce huge amounts of a stringy rather coheasive clear slime as a defense mechanism. A fisherman was shown handling one and he soon had a pair of slimey gloves.

Grey Knight
2006-12-19, 08:17 AM
I like this feather idea. The Aztecs made some interesting things from feathers; see this shield (http://nuevomundo.revues.org/document1447.html), for instance (scroll down for pictures).

EddieBird
2006-12-19, 07:00 PM
Oh wow. That is beautiful. -One more item I can print up and make into an item for my PCs to find.
Blue Wolf Feather Shield.

Another odd material:

Stone- Thin rectangles of stone with holes drilled along the top edges. They are tied/sewn together in an overlapping pattern to make armor. This is based off an actual suit of armor from the early Chinese empire. However I forget which issue of National Geographic I saw it in.