PDA

View Full Version : the Dragonette (3.5 Peach), because we must tame all that we fear

eftexar
2013-08-17, 08:40 PM
Dragonette
Medium Dragon
Hit Dice: 4d12 + 8 (34 hp)
Initiative: +8
Speed: 30 ft. (6 sqaures), fly 60ft (perfect)
Armor Class: 18 (+4 dexterity, +4 natural), 14 touch, 14 flatfooted
Base Attack / Grapple: +4 / +6
Attack: 2 claws +6 melee (1d4+2) or bite +6 melee (1d6+2)
Full Attack: 2 claws +6 melee (1d4+2) or bite +6 melee (1d6+2)
Space / Reach: 5ft / 5ft (10ft with bite)
Special Attacks: Breath Weapon, Screech
Special Qualities: Darkvision 60ft, Lowlight Vision, Immunity (Sleep, Paralysis)
Saves: Fort +6, Refx +8, Will +5
Abilities: Str 15, Dex 18, Con 14, Int 14, Wis 12, Cha 10
Skills: Balance +9, Climb +7, Escape Artist +6, Hide +8, Intimidate +2, Jump +8, Listen +8, Move Silently +6, Sense Motive +7, Spot +8, Swim +6, Tumble +8
Feats: Improved Initiative, Dire Charge (Draconomicon)
Environment: Varies
Organization: Solitary, Pair, or Clutch (4-8)
Challenge Rating: 3
Treasure: Usually None
Alignment: Any
Advancement: 5–9 HD (Medium)
Level Adjustment: +3

Extra Details
Diet: Small game and deer

Cost: 400gp (egg), 800gp (hatched), 2000gp (combat ready)

Description: Dragons have always had a special place of fear in man's heart. And so we wished to master them as we try everything else that we fear. In the end a smaller dragon was bred.
These dragons, or Dragonettes, are tamer and much more animalistic than their cousins, allowing the weaker races to work with them. Still they are cunning and won't tolerate mistreatment for long. Dragonriders prefer this since it means they can build a bond unlike any with a mere animal.
Because of their strange breeding history they can be of any color, though green or brown are by far the most common, and their capabilities vary from one Dragonette to the next.

Handle Animal: A Dragonette's attitude can be improved by anyone with 6 or more ranks in Handle Animal as if with the Druid's Wild Empathy feature. A -4 penalty is taken to this check due to the difficulty in handling such a creature.

Special Attacks
Breath Weapon (Su)
Every Dragonette is born with one of the following breath weapons. Every breath weapon has a recharge time of 1d4 + 1 rounds. The DC for any save is 10 + 1/2 the Dragonette's HD + it's constitution modifier.

Brimstone Blast
This breath weapon, used as a standard action, fills a 15ft line with flames. They deal 1d6 + HD + constitution fire damage, though a reflex save halves. Any unnattended flammables within automatically catch fire and the target, if they fail their save, does as well.

Acidic Spittle
This breath weapon, used as a standard action, has a range of 30ft and, being a ray, it requires a ranged touch attack to hit.
It deals 1d6 + it's constitution modifier in acid damage and the target must make a reflex save or their armor, and any shield, takes damage equal to 1/2 the Dragonette's HD. This damage bypasses any hardness such equipment might have.

Liquid Silver
This breath weapon, used as a standard action, releases a globe that can be fired up to 30ft. It functions as a splash weapon, slowing any creature, for 3 rounds, within a 5ft burst who fails a reflex save against it.

Snap
This breath weapon, used as a standard action, fires a bolt of electricity, in the form of a ray attack, at a target within 30ft. A creature struck must succeed on a fortitude save or be stunned for 1 round.

Smog Gas
This breath weapon, used as a full round action, releases a 15ft cone of gas, which obscures all vision beyond 15ft, that lasts for 1d4 + 1 rounds. It can drift, or be blown away, as the Fog spell.

Blight
This breath weapon, used as a full round action, seeths at the life of all creatures within a 15ft cone. Creatures within must succeed on a fortitude save or become fatigued for 1d4 rounds.

Solar Flare
This breath weapon, used as a full round action, releases a bright flash in a 30ft line. Every creature within must make a reflex save or be blinded for 1d4 + 3 rounds. Undead are treated as having been turned by a Cleric of a level equal to the Dragonette's total HD - 3.
Screech (Ex)
As a standard action, that doesn't provoke attacks of opportunity, the Dragonette can release a howl that hits every creature in a 15ft cone. This is a sonic effect, but is not language dependent.
They must succeed on a fortitude save, DC 10 + 1/2 HD + constitution modifier, or be deafened for 1d4 + 3 rounds and a will save, same DC, or be shaken for 1d4 rounds. Fear from this ability does not stack with that from itself.

Strange Breeds
Although one might assume the Dragonettes are pure dragons, they would be most mistaken. Indeed their small size, and milder temperment, could only be obtained through forcible crossbreeding with other species. And sometimes aberrant traits appear in the process.

When selecting a strange breed template for a Dragonette you can only apply a single one of them. In return for what the template offers the Dragonette loses it's Breath Weapon and Screech abilities.

Varieties-spoiler area is a wip
Arrowhawk

Acceleration (Ex)
If the Dragonette takes a double move action their speed increases by +60ft for 1 round after. Hovering or stopping in midflight causes it to lose these bonuses.

Dive Bomb
The Dragonette gains the Power Dive feat (Draconomicon), even if it wouldn't normally qualify, and counts a creature of one size larger for the purpose of who it can target and it's effects on them.

Beholder
-

Blink Dog
page 28

Bulette
page 30

Chimera

Random Breath Weapon (Su)
Choose 4 of the breath weapons indicated for the Dragonette and assign each to a number (1-4). Each time it wishes to roll a breath weapon you must roll a 1d4 to see which one it uses.
This has a recharge time of 1d4 + 1 rounds and, despite the chance of a different breath weapon each time, is considered a single breath weapon.

Probabilty Manipulation (Su)
The Dragonette may force a reroll for any d20 roll, within 60ft, once per 1d4 + 1 rounds. If used to be beneficial the higher of the two is taken, while the lower of the two is taken when used to interfere with another.

Displacer Beast

Flicker (Su)
As an immediate action, one per 1d4 + 1 rounds, the Dragonette may teleport up to 30ft. If used in response to an attack or hazard it still has a 50% chance to hit.

Camofluage
The Dragonette gains a +4 competance bonus to hide checks in shadowy illumination or darker.

Gibbering Mouther
page 126

Howler
page 155

Ooze
page 201

Pseudodragon
-

Sea Cat
page 220

Umber Hulk
-

Unicorn
page 249

Volcanic Dragon
-

Wyvern
-

Notes:
This is part of a dragonrider class I haven't posted so don't sweat the size problem. Their serpentine bodies will let a rider of the same size, albeit with special training, to ride them.
What I really want to know is if this would function as a companion at 6th level and be fair. The 15 level class, that I am planning, which goes with it will focus more on their teamwork rather than individual abilities.

gurgleflep
2013-08-17, 09:29 PM
I like them quite a bit but I have some questions.

How much would one be if somebody wanted to purchase them as an egg?
Already hatched?
How much are they if they're already trained?
If somebody found them wild, what would their "handle animal" DC be?
What are their dietary habbits? Owners will have to feed them at some point.
Do they come in purple? :smalltongue:

As I said: I like them.. and I want to use them in my campaign when I get it up and going :smallamused:

Edit: I don't know anything about companions and such so sorry I can't answer the questions you've got :/

inuyasha
2013-08-17, 09:34 PM
I like it :-)

eftexar
2013-08-17, 10:12 PM
Thanks for the interest guys. As to your questions gurgleflep:

How much would one be if somebody wanted to purchase them as an egg?
400gp

Already hatched?
800gp

How much are they if they're already trained?
2000gp; but only if they are trained for combat with a rider

If somebody found them wild, what would their "handle animal" DC be?
I'm really not sure. I'm tempted to say to just use handle animal as if it were the diplomacy skill since their intelligence is beyond an animal, but they are more animalistic in tendency than most intelligent creatures.

What are their dietary habbits? Owners will have to feed them at some point.
Small game or deer. They could probably even eat human prepared food and ale. Can you see one of them getting drunk in a bar?; hence the no pets allowed sign.

Do they come in purple?
Sure. It's like dog breeding. That's why I left it completely open.

I'll update the main post with some of these shortly.

[edit]: I was planning on 15 varieties, but I've only come up with 10 strange breeds. If anyone has a suggestion(s) I'm all ears.

inuyasha
2013-08-18, 12:14 AM
More varieties

Roc, true dragon blood, beholder, demonic, devilish, celestial, umber hulk, wyvern,

gurgleflep
2013-08-18, 12:21 AM
More varieties

Roc, true dragon blood, beholder, demonic, devilish, celestial, umber hulk, wyvern,

Aww, ya said some of the ones I wanted to say :smalltongue:

How about something like a warforged? Living constructs are always cool.
Volcanic and obsidian? Aquatical and coral? *shrugs* I don't know what types you're going for but there's so many variants I can think of - templates can add flavor.

Debihuman
2013-08-18, 05:19 AM
It's a nice little dragon but it's got a few errors in the stat block. Since you asked for critique and editing here it is. You might want to check the online SRD here when you are posting too. It's an easy way to check the rules. http://www.d20srd.org

Hit dice are 4d12. Its bonus hit points are Con modifier x HD. Con 14 has a modifier of +2. 2x4=8 not 10. 4d12 is 4x6.5=26 . 26+8 = 34 hit points.

Hit Dice: 4d12+8 (34 hp)

Initiative is wrong because you forgot to include the bonus from Improved Initiative along with its Dex modifier

Initiative: +8

Space/Reach for a Medium creature is 5 ft./5 ft. It looks like you were using the old 3.0 stat block for this. Some creatures that are Medium size have extra reach due to long necks. If it can bite farther than normal due to a long neck it would look like this:

Space/Reach: 5 ft./5 ft. (10 ft. with bite).

Saves are 10 + 1/2 creature's HD + relevant ability modifier. It's pretty standard and messing with that generally throws things off.

Since this is a Medium creature, it can only be ridden by Small or smaller creatures. Because it is a quadruped, it can carry 1½ on the weight chart.
It can carry 99 lbs. or less as a light load, 100-199 lbs. as a medium load and 200-300 as a heavy load. Creatures cannot fly while carrying more than a light load.

Fly
A creature with a fly speed can move through the air at the indicated speed if carrying no more than a light load. (Note that medium armor does not necessarily constitute a medium load.)

Base Attack is +4 same as fighter not +6. Grapple is +6.

BAB/Grapple: +4/+6

Natural attacks: if it's bite is a primary attack, it cannot be used with its claws since a creature cannot use two primary attacks. If the bite is a secondary attack, it can be used with the claws but takes a -5 penalty to hit.

Attack line only has primary attacks in it.
Full Attack line shows both primary and secondary attack, separate attacks by "and" or "or" not commas to make the attacks clear. If the attacks are both primary it uses its Str modifier as a bonus to damage. If the attack is secondary, it uses ½ Str modifier as a bonus to damage. Since all claw and bite attacks are standard, you generally don't have to indicate the type of damage they do. See dragon entry.

This is if both claw and bite are primary attacks:
Attack: Claw + 6 melee (1d4+2) or Bite +6 melee (1d6+2)
Full Attack: 2 claws +6 melee (1d4+2) or bite +6 melee (1d6+2)

If the claw is primary and bite is secondary:
Attack: Claw +6 melee (1d4+2)
Full Attack: 2 claws +6 melee (1d4+2) and bite +1 melee (1d6+1)

Reflex is abbreviated as Ref.

Here is the information on breath weapons:

Breath Weapon
A creature attacking with a breath weapon is actually expelling something from its mouth (rather than conjuring it by means of a spell or some other magical effect). Most creatures with breath weapons are limited to a number of uses per day or by a minimum length of time that must pass between uses. Such creatures are usually smart enough to save their breath weapon until they really need it.

Using a breath weapon is typically a standard action.
No attack roll is necessary. The breath simply fills its stated area.
A breath weapon attack usually deals damage and is often based on some type of energy.
Breath weapons usually allow a Reflex save for half damage (DC 10 + ½ breathing creature’s racial HD + breathing creature’s Con modifier; the exact DC is given in the creature’s descriptive text). Some breath weapons allow a Fortitude save or a Will save instead of a Reflex save.
Breath weapons are supernatural abilities except where noted.
A creature is immune to its own breath weapon unless otherwise noted.
Creatures unable to breathe can still use breath weapons. (The term is something of a misnomer.)

It has two kinds of breath weapons. Are they lines or cones? How far do they extend? This normally depends on the dragon's size. A Medium dragon has a 60-foot line or a 30-foot cone for its breath weapon.

The rest of your stat block is missing.

Environment:
Organization:
Challenge Rating:
Treasure:
Alignment:
Advancement:
Level Adjustment:

I hope this helps.

Debby

eftexar
2013-08-18, 03:01 PM
Thanks Debi, made some changes. As far as how off the breath weapons are, though, that was on purpose. Since they were bred to have certain traits I see no problem with some variance on the rule(s) here.

Debihuman
2013-08-18, 03:46 PM
Thanks Debi, made some changes. As far as how off the breath weapons are, though, that was on purpose. Since they were bred to have certain traits I see no problem with some variance on the rule(s) here.

I have no problem with variant breath weapons, however, they should never be Extraordinary as that is more powerful than Supernatural and all true dragons would have only Supernatural breath weapons.

I just noticed that these have Perfect maneuverability. Gaining the Hover feat is redundant since they can already do that.

How much damage is 1/2 the dragonette's hit dice for acidic ray if the Reflex save is failed? Is it just 2 points of damage or is it 2d6? Do you mean an unattended object takes 1 point of fire damage for every 2 HD the dragonette has?

Breath Weapon (Su): Each dragonette is born with one of the following breath weapons. Every breath weapon has a recharge time of 1d4+1 rounds. The DC for any save is 10+½ the dragonette's HD + its Constitution modifier.

Acidic Spittle: As a standard action, a dragonette breathes a ray of acidic spittle that has a maximum range of 30 feet. This attack requires a ranged touch attack to hit. It deals 1d6 + its Constitution modifier in acid damage. Any target hit must make a Reflex save or its armor and shield (if any) takes damage equal to ½ the dragonette's Hit Dice. This damage bypasses any hardness such equipment might have. [clarify this]

Blight: As a full round action, a dragonette seethes at the life of all creatures within a 15-foot cone. Creatures within must succeed on a Fortitude save or become fatigued for 1d4 rounds.

Brimstone Blast: As a standard action, a dragonette’s breath weapon fills a 15-foot line with flames that deal 1d6 plus the dragonette’s Constitution modifier in fire damage. A successful Reflex save halves the damage. Any unattended flammables within range automatically catch fire. Any target that fails its save also catches fire.

Liquid Silver: As a standard action, a dragonette releases a glob that can be fired up to 30 feet. It functions as a splash weapon, slowing any creature for 3 rounds within a 5-foot burst that fails a Reflex save against it.

Smog Gas: As a full-round action, a dragonette releases a 15-foot cone of gas, which obscures all vision in a spread that continues 15 feet. The gas lasts for 1d4+1 rounds. It can drift, or be blown away, as the fog spell.

Snap: As a standard action, a dragonette fires a bolt of electricity, in the form of a ray attack, at a target within 30 feet. A creature struck must succeed on a Fortitude save or be stunned for 1 round.

Solar Flare: As a full-round action, a dragonette releases a bright flash in a 15-foot cone. Every creature within must make a Reflex save or be blinded for 1d4+3 rounds. Undead are treated as having been turned by a Cleric of a level equal to the dragonette's total Hit Dice minus 3.

Screech (Ex): As a standard action that doesn't provoke attacks of opportunity, the dragonette can release a screech in a 15-foot cone. This is a sonic effect, but is not language dependent. All creatures within the cone must succeed on a Fortitude save (DC 10 + ½ HD + constitution modifier) or be deafened for 1d4+3 rounds and a Will save (same DC) or be shaken for 1d4 rounds. Fear from this ability does not stack with that from itself.

Debby

eftexar
2013-08-18, 03:54 PM
Breath weapons are now supernatural and flight is no longer redundent. You don't think I should have hover for prerequisites though?

Also I don't usually create monsters, as a I focus on classes more often than not, so I'm not really sure about CR and LA. Do those look about right?

toapat
2013-08-18, 04:00 PM
i think, technically, its a smidge overpowered relative for a mount you should have at level, however considering that Bubs the Commoner tames 3 CR14s at level 4, being slightly above the bar is no issue

Debihuman
2013-08-18, 04:21 PM
A creature with Perfect flight can already hover.

It can't carry more than 99 lbs. when flying.

See my edits above.

Debby

eftexar
2013-08-18, 05:48 PM
If it's only a little bit too powerful, taopat, for a mount it should be fine, since I can balance that with the class I have planned. And normal, or medium, creatures such as humans wouldn't be able to use them as a mount without that class because of weight and size restrictions.

Debi, I'm not sure why you're confused on the acidic spittle. It simply deals damage directly to the target's armor. So the target would take 1d6 + constitution acid damage while, if they fail their reflex save, their armor would take 1/2 the Dragonette's HD in damage (bypassing hardness). So a succesfully made save just negates damage against their armor.

Debihuman
2013-08-18, 10:02 PM
If it's only a little bit too powerful, taopat, for a mount it should be fine, since I can balance that with the class I have planned. And normal, or medium, creatures such as humans wouldn't be able to use them as a mount without that class because of weight and size restrictions.

Debi, I'm not sure why you're confused on the acidic spittle. It simply deals damage directly to the target's armor. So the target would take 1d6 + constitution acid damage while, if they fail their reflex save, their armor would take 1/2 the Dragonette's HD in damage (bypassing hardness). So a successfully made save just negates damage against their armor.

I just wanted to be clear that you mean the armor only takes 2 points of damage for a 4-HD creature. So although leather armor has hardness 2, it has 5 hit points. Failing the save would damage it but not destroy it. For what it's worth, a simple mending spell (0 level) would fix this.

Debby

eftexar
2013-08-19, 12:03 AM
Yeah that's pretty much the intent. Speaking of which, should I maybe bump it up to full HD, instead of half, to make breaking armor a bit more viable? I think I'd like it to destroy armor in two or three shots.

Debihuman
2013-08-19, 02:37 AM
That is entirely up to you. Leather armor will be destroyed if hit twice but other armor probably won't be. While acid disregards hardness, iron, steel, and mithral armor have 30 hit points. Damaged armor has no effect until it is destroyed. I don't see this hitting anyone for that much damage.

Debby