PDA

View Full Version : Knowledge (tactics) [a minor boost for fighters]

Jon_Dahl
2013-08-21, 07:01 AM
Knowledge (tactics) (Int; Trained Only)
A class skill for fighters. It's also a class skill for experts, factotums and any class who can choose their class skills freely. This skill may also be a class skill for some non-core classes such as marshal at DM's discretion.

Military formations, tactical planning and preparation in practice and theory, large-scale and small-unit tactics, understanding of naval, aerial and land warfare.

Check

Answering a question within your field of study has a DC of 10 (for really easy questions), 15 (for basic questions), or 20 to 30 (for really tough questions).

In many cases, you can use this skill to identify monsters and their non-magical and non-supernatural special powers or vulnerabilities. In general, the DC of such a check equals 10 + the monster’s HD. A successful check allows you to know what is BAB of the monster.

For every 5 points by which your check result exceeds the DC, you recall another piece of useful information as follows:
Exceeding the DC by 5 points: Natural armor bonus.
Exceeding the DC by 10 points: Full knowledge of number of primary attacks and secondary attacks and their base damage.
Exceeding the DC by 15 points: Full knowledge of physical attributes.
Exceeding the DC by 20 points: The amount of natural DR. Full knowledge of possible vulnerabilities to cold iron, silver or adamantium.
Exceeding the DC by 25 points: Full knowledge of all Extraordinary abilities.
Exceeding the DC by more than 25 points: Optional by DM.

If you have 5 or more ranks in Knowledge (tactics), you gain +1 bonus to your Leadership score. Two characters with 5 or more ranks in Knowledge (tactics) can use hand signals to communicate basic combat maneuvers (one hand signal with a free hand as free action once per round) regardless of possible language barriers. Anyone with 5 or more ranks in Knowledge (tactics) who can see the hand signals is able to understand them too.

Action

Usually none. In most cases, making a Knowledge check doesn’t take an action—you simply know the answer or you don’t.

Try Again

No. The check represents what you know, and thinking about a topic a second time doesn’t let you know something that you never learned in the first place.

Synergy

If you have 5 or more ranks in Knowledge (tactics), you get a +2 bonus on Perform (weapon drill).

qwertyu63
2013-08-21, 07:22 AM
I like it. Give you the knowledge you need to actually fight the thing. The hand signals are a nice touch as well.

Looking over things, I think a total of three (or four) classes would have this:

Fighter
Marshal
Factotum (As they get everything)
(And an Expert, if they take it as one of their skills)

Jon_Dahl
2013-08-21, 07:25 AM
I like it. Give you the knowledge you need to actually fight the thing. The hand signals are a nice touch as well.

Looking over things, I think a total of three (or four) classes would have this:

Fighter
Marshal
Factotum (As they get everything)
(And an Expert, if they take it as one of their skills)

Thank you, I'll edit the OP and add those two classes.

JennTora
2013-08-23, 08:59 AM
Thing is, it still doesn't help against fliers...