PDA

View Full Version : Soulgiver [PrC]

Duke of URL
2006-12-18, 01:56 PM
Designer Notes: There are a myriad of classes that give spellcasters more combat ability, but very few that work to give melee characters effective spellcasting abilities. Even fewer if you look at multiple ability dependencies.

So... how could this be done? By creating a spellcasting class with a primary ability that would normally be for a melee class. That pretty much leaves STR and CON (DEX is a useful melee ability, but not as melee-specific as STR or CON); given those options, it made sense to think about a CON-based caster who sacrifices his/her own health (or, life energy, if you prefer) to effect an arcane-like spell. Given the type of magic this must entail, it makes further sense to limit the spell schools to Abjuration (personal protection), Evocation (direct damage), Necromancy (life energy), and Transmutation (alterations); the other schools don't fit in with the concept of conversion of life energy.

Since this class will necessarily lag pure spellcasters in raw power, some extra perks needed to be added. I settled on:

* No limitation on the spells per day; however the Soulgiver must still meet current requirements to cast
* All "knowable" spells are automatically known when that spell level becomes available (allowing spontaneous casting like a Sorcerer with a more detailed spell list, though not quite as versatile as a Wizard) -- probably ought to limit the spell list to a size similar to Beguiler or Warmage
* No arcane spell failure due to armor
* No material components required (may want to revisit this for high-powered spells with costly material components)
* Extra class abilities to enhance spell power and resist enemy spells

Of course, this requires a few drawbacks as well:

* The CON (and for lower levels, STR) damage limits the frequency and potency of spell usage
* d4 hit dice (converting your own life energy is not conducive to large HP gain)
* Low BAB (similar reasoning as above)
* No metamagic

SOULGIVER

Saves: Will high; Fortitude, Reflex low
BAB Progression: Low
Hit Die: d4
Proficiencies: A Soulgiver does not gain any additional weapon or armor proficiencies. Soulgivers gain spellcasting ability (CON based, arcane but no chance of spell failure due to armor or shields, material components can be ignored, limited spell schools) but do not have familiars nor do they gain the ability to use magical devices such as wands and scrolls.
Skill Points: 2 + INT Modifier
Class Skills: The soulgiver's class skills (and the key ability for each skill) are Bluff (Cha), Concentration (Con), Craft (Int), Knowledge (arcana) (Int), Profession (Wis), and Spellcraft (Int).

Requirements: To qualify as a Soulgiver, a character must fullfill all of the following critiria:
Feats: Toughness
Skills: Concentration 6 ranks, Spellcraft 6 ranks

Description: For a rare few of strong fortitude, the ability to tap into their own inner soul can be attained. This ability allows them to create effects indistinguishable from arcane magic, though at a cost to their own health. Soulgiver special abilities (specifically, all bonuses and penalties) are physical effects, not magical ones, and are not subject to any type of magical dispelling (though effects from spells cast via Soul Magic can be dispelled like any other spell).

SOULGIVER
{table=head]Level|Base Attack<br>Bonus|Fort Save|Ref Save|Will Save|Special

1st|
+0|
+0|
+0|
+2|Soul Magic, Eschew Materials

2nd|
+1|
+0|
+0|
+3|Spell Intuition

3rd|
+1|
+1|
+1|
+3|Spell Focus: Abjuration

4th|
+2|
+1|
+1|
+4|Spell Resistance

5th|
+2|
+1|
+1|
+4|Spell Focus: Necromancy

6th|
+3|
+2|
+2|
+5|One For All

7th|
+3|
+2|
+2|
+5|Spell Focus: Evocation

8th|
+4|
+2|
+2|
+6|Improved Soul Magic, Spell Absorption

9th|
+4|
+3|
+3|
+6|Spell Focus: Transmutation

10th|
+5|
+3|
+3|
+7|Self Sacrifice[/table]

Abillities:

Soul Magic (sp) - The Soulgiver gains arcane-like spell ability (CON based, ignores arcane spell failure from armor/shield) using the Sorcerer/Wizard spell lists. (Exception: No cantrips are known or can be learned.) Only spells from the following schools may be used, however all such spells at are automatically known: Abjuration, Evocation, Necromancy, Transmutation.

The Soulgiver may cast spells of spell level 1 at class level 1. Spell level 2 spells may be cast at class level 4, and new spell levels are gained every two class levels thereafter. Metamagic may not be applied to any Soul Magic.

When using any spell, the Soulgiver takes a -1 penalty to STR and CON per spell level for (1d4 + spell level) minutes. A Fortitude save (DC 15 + 3 times spell level) will halve the penalties, rounded down for STR and rounded up for CON. All penalties stack if additional spells are cast while penalties are effective. Prior to spell casting, the Soulgiver must have a minimum CON of 10 + spell level and a minimum STR of 3 + spell level.

Eschew Materials (su) - Soulgiver may ignore material components of spells, as his or her body substitutes for any material component.

Spell Intuition (su) - Being in tune with magic, the Soulgiver adds his or her class level to his or her Concentration and Spellcraft skills.

Spell Focus: Abjuration (su) - The Spell Focus: Abjuration feat is granted if not already otherwise gained.

Spell Resistance (su) - The Soulgiver gains spell resistance 15 + class level.

Spell Focus: Necromancy (su) - The Spell Focus: Necromancy feat is granted if not already otherwise gained.

One For All (su) - Once per day, a Soulgiver may use his or her inner strength to boost allies. The Soulgiver takes a -6 STR and -6 CON penalty to provide a +2 STR and +2 CON bonus to all allies within 25'. The effects (for both penalties and bonuses) last for (1d4 + class level) minutes. An additional use per day is gained for each three levels after level 6. The Soulgiver must have a minimum of 9 for current CON and STR scores in order to use this ability.

Spell Focus: Evocation (su) - The Spell Focus: Evocation feat is granted if not already otherwise gained.

Improved Soul Magic (sp) - Soul Magic no longer lowers STR and the minimum STR restrictions are removed.

Spell Absorption (su) - Any spell resisted by Spell Resistance can be absorbed by the Soulgiver to reduce or remove penalties from Soul Magic and the One For All ability. One minute of duration is removed for each spell level absorbed, starting from the oldest penalty to the most recent. Spell levels absorbed beyond any existing penalties have no effect. Harmless spells may not be absorbed.

Note: even if the Soulgiver has spell resistance from another source than the Soulgiver class ability that is superior to the one granted by the Soulgiver class, the spell is only absorbed if the Soulgiver-specific spell resistance would have resisted the spell.

Spell Focus: Transmutation (su) - The Spell Focus: Transmutation feat is granted if not already otherwise gained.

Self Sacrifice (su) - A Soulgiver may use all of his or her inner strength to boost allies. The Soulgiver has all ability scores reduced to 3 (unless already lower) and is dropped to -1 HP to provide a +4 STR, +4 CON, and +40 temporary HP bonus to all allies within 25'. The bonus to allies lasts (1d4 + class level) minutes. The HP damage may be cured by any normal or magical means, but the ability damage requires a full 24 hours rest to recover. The Soulgiver must have a minimum of 9 for current CON and STR scores in order to use this ability.

Epic Soulgiver (level 11+) - No new abilities are gained, however all existing abilities based on class level continue to improve into epic levels. Bonus feats are awarded at class level 15 and every five levels thereafter.

Khantalas
2006-12-18, 02:45 PM
Just nitpicking, but it's usually considered poor design to have something based on luck as a prerequisite for a PrC, such as minimum Constitution.

Just saying.

Duke of URL
2006-12-18, 03:31 PM
Just nitpicking, but it's usually considered poor design to have something based on luck as a prerequisite for a PrC, such as minimum Constitution.

Just saying.

Requirement removed. It'd be hard to be effective with a low CON, but I suppose that should be the player's problem, not the ruleset's. :amused:

Tormsskull
2006-12-18, 03:48 PM
This part:
"Only spells from the following schools may be used, however all such spells at are automatically known: Abjuration, Evocation, Necromancy, Transmutation."

Seems very game altering. I'm willing to bet it is overpowered. I can't think of a single arcane spellcaster that gets all spells per level, even if from a limited number of schools.

Khantalas
2006-12-18, 03:49 PM
Warmage. Dread Necromancer. Beguiler. Duskblade (might be incorrect).

More examples may exist.

StickMan
2006-12-18, 04:35 PM
I don't get how Con can be seen as a Casting ability. I can't figure out if its over powered or underpowered. I can arguee both sides but I'm not willing to say its balanced. It has strong points but every time you use them you are weakened. It starts underpowered and then seems to become overpowered. I don't think you would ever hit higher levels though because you are so vunerable after casting even a few spells.

Duke of URL
2006-12-18, 06:17 PM
I don't get how Con can be seen as a Casting ability.

It is tapping internal stength to create an arcane-like effect. The fact that the effect is indistinguishable from regular arcane magic is beside the point.

I can't figure out if its over powered or underpowered. I can arguee both sides but I'm not willing to say its balanced. It has strong points but every time you use them you are weakened. It starts underpowered and then seems to become overpowered. I don't think you would ever hit higher levels though because you are so vunerable after casting even a few spells.

It's posted for suggestions, so hopefully it can be balanced with enough suggestions. :smalltongue:

StickMan
2006-12-18, 06:27 PM
It is tapping internal stength to create an arcane-like effect. The fact that the effect is indistinguishable from regular arcane magic is beside the point.

Internal Strenght would be from you peronality, so Wizdom or Charima would be the ones to use. Constuition is just phisical resistance and endurance. When you get hit in the face, you live because of Constution, if you get hit hard enough to almost kill you and get back up its because of you will. Also I've been looking at this and its just underpowered. You gain bad spellcasting ablity and nothing else from this class. Incress the hitdie if you must use this class. D12 might even be ok becasue ever time you use a spell you lose hit points. Even then a normal spell caster would still kill you.

Duke of URL
2006-12-19, 07:03 AM
Internal Strenght would be from you peronality, so Wizdom or Charima would be the ones to use. Constuition is just phisical resistance and endurance.

I understand what you're saying, I just respectfully disagree.

Wisdom is willpower, intuition, and common sense. Charisma is the ability to project your will onto others. This class is designed to use one's own life energy to manifest effects indistinguishable from arcane magic.

Duke of URL
2007-02-08, 03:02 PM
Sample Character

Kaldar Stonesmith
Dwarf Fighter 12 / Soulgiver 8
Medium Humanoid (Dwarf)

HD 12d10 + 8d4 + 123 (189 HP)
Speed 15 ft. (3 squares)
Initiative +1
AC 23 (mundane plate mail and tower shield); Touch 11; Flat-Footed 22 (DEX +1)
BAB +16; Grapple +19
Attack Dwarven Waraxe +21 melee (1d10+7 19/x3)
Full Attack Dwarven Waraxe +21/+16/+11/+6 melee (1d10+7 19/x3)
Space 5 ft.; Reach 5 ft.
Special Qualities Darkvision 60 ft., Dwarf traits, Spell Intuition, Spell Resistance 23, One For All, Spell Absorption
Spellcasting Soulgiver(4)
Saves Fort +16, Ref +7, Will +10
Abilities Str 16, Dex 12, Con 23, Int 10, Wis 10, Cha 6 (28 pt. buy)
Skills Climb +6, Concentration +28, Jump +6, Spellcraft +22
Feats Spell Focus (Abjuration)B, Spell Focus (Evocation)B, Spell Focus (Necromancy)B, Blind Fight, Power Attack, Cleave, Great Cleave, Improved Shield Bash, Improved Sunder, Toughness, Weapon Focus (Dwarven Waraxe), Weapon Specialization (Dwarven Waraxe), Greater Weapon Focus (Dwarven Waraxe), Greater Weapon Specialization (Dwarven Waraxe), Improved Critical (Dwarven Waraxe), Spell Penetration, Greater Spell Penetration
Challenge Rating 20
Advancement By class
Level Adjustment +0
Languages Spoken Common, Dwarven