HD: D10

{table=head]Level|BAB|Fort|Ref|Will|
Special Abilities|
Attribute Increase

1st|
+1|
+2|
+0|
+0|Azer Body, Azer's Heat (Melee Attacks), Flare (Burning Strike), Detect Treasure (Gems, Gold)|+1 Str, +1 Con, +1 Int

2nd|
+2|
+3|
+0|
+0|Hardened Body, Azer's Heat (Enemy Attacks), Flare (Heat Wave), Detect Treasure (Art Objects)|+1 Str, +1 Con, +1 Int[/table]

Skill Points: (4 + Int modifier) per level, x4 at first level.
Class Skills: The Azer’s class skills (and the key ability for each skill) are Appraise (Int), Climb (Str), Craft (Int), Decipher Script (Int), Heal (Wis), Intimidate (Cha), Jump (Str), Listen (Wis), Search (Int), Spot (Wis).

Proficiencies: The Azer gains proficiency with all simple and martial weapons and with all armor (heavy, medium, and light) and shields (including tower shields).

Azer Body: The Azer loses all other racial bonuses and becomes an Outsider (Extraplanar, Fire). It gains outsider traits, granting it darkvision out to 60', immunity to fire, and vulnerability to cold. Azers are medium sized creatures with a base land speed of 30', possessing natural armor equal to their Con modifier. An Azer has Ignan and Common as starting languages, with additional languages for a high Int score as normal.

Attribute Increase: The Azer gains +1 to Strength, Constitution, and Intelligence at both 1st and 2nd levels for a total increase of +2 to Strength, Constitution, and Intelligence at 2nd level.

Azer's Heat (Ex): The Azer's body burns with an intense heat. Starting at 1st level the Azer can use this heat to make his melee attacks with an unarmed strike or a metallic weapon more deadly. These attacks deal an extra 1/HD fire damage.

At 2nd level, this heat grows even more deadly. Any enemy that hits the Azer with its body or a metallic weapon takes 1/HD points of fire damage.

Flare (Ex): By focusing, the Azer can temporarily raise his body heat to even higher levels. However, doing so will cause his internal temperature to quickly fall below normal levels until he has time to rest. Starting at 1st level, the Azer can flare his body temperature as a swift action. Until the end of the encounter, the Azer no longer receives any of the bonuses from Burn and cannot use Flare again.

A 1st level Azer can use Flare to produce a Burning Strike and deal an extra 1d6/HD fire damage on his next attack. This ability is used up even if his next attack fails to hit.

A 2nd level Azer can use Flare to produce a Heat Wave. This attack deals 1d4/HD fire damage to all creatures in a 5 ft. radius surrounding the Azer. Affected creatures can attempt a reflex save (DC of 10 + ECL + Con modifier) for half damage.

Detect Treasure (Sp): The Azer possesses an uncanny ability for detecting nearby hidden treasures. A number of times per day equal to his Int modifier, the Azer can attempt to discover treasure in the area. This works as the spell Detect Gems (http://heliotroph.deviantart.com/art/DnD-3rd-Ed-My-Little-Ponies-251607078) (spell is near bottom of page). However, the Azer can use this ability to search for more types of treasure than just gems. At 1st level, the Azer can choose to search for either gems or gold (only one) each time he uses this ability.

At 2nd level, the Azer also has the option to search for art objects.

Hardened Body (Ex): The Azer's body is hardened and strengthened from constant exposure to high temperatures. Starting at 2nd level, the Azer no longer suffers a reduction in speed due to wearing medium or heavy armor or carrying a medium or heavy load. Also, the Azer gains a +4 bonus on ability checks made to resist being bull rushed or tripped when standing on the ground.

Comments:

My first attempt at writing a monster class. I'd like to do them for a number of the lower CR humanoid monsters.

The Azer has always seemed like a medium-sized, flaming dwarf to me, and that influenced how I wrote this up. I wanted it to have sort of a martial feel, hence the d10 HD and the high attack bonus. Since the Azer's only ability merely gave an extra 1 fire damage, I expanded this idea in Azer's Heat to make it more powerful and added Flare to give additional options. Finally, to give it something to do outside of combat, I added in some treasure hunting abilities.

I'm also working on creating some racial feats to expand these abilities further.

Changelog:

22/8/13: Original post date.

Vath_The_Spooky
2013-08-22, 04:53 PM
That isn't how monster classes work. Monster classes exist to allow a 1st level (or any level below the creature's ECL) the option to play that creature early with a limited form of their abilities, and then at the appropriate ECL they will be essentially identical to their original form.

The Azer has two racial hit dice and a LA of +4, meaning they have an ECL of 6. An Azer monster class would thus be 6 levels long.

Also a monster class has an extra column for HD, since it doesn't go up at 1/level rate with monster classes. Over the Azer's 6 levels he would only gain 2 HD. Also those HD are racial and thus tied to its creature type (outsider), which is d8s. You also give them only a good fort, when as an outsider Azer should have all good saves for its 2 HD.

Even if you disregard all that, you are still squeezing them way too small and making an obnoxiously over powered creature for low levels games.

LOTRfan
2013-08-22, 04:55 PM
This isn't a monster progression. This is a monster class, similar in structure to the ones created a year ago as part of a big project here on the playground. The goal was to make better, more playable options for players wanting to be monsters.

EDIT: Although I do think this might still be a tad bit too dense.

Nomrom
2013-08-22, 05:13 PM
This isn't a monster progression. This is a monster class, similar in structure to the ones created a year ago as part of a big project here on the playground. The goal was to make better, more playable options for players wanting to be monsters.

EDIT: Although I do think this might still be a tad bit too dense.

Yeah, that's the project I based my ideas off of. And my biggest concern was whether or not it had too much going on. I don't have very much homebrew experience at all. I've considered having some of the abilities be gained later as the character reaches certain hit dice levels instead of all in the first two levels.

Vath, if case you're wondering this (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=192151) is the old project we're talking about.