PDA

View Full Version : Dungeon Motivation?

Torpedo Ted
2006-12-18, 05:31 PM
Hello all!

I need some help with my campaign:
Much like random encounters, I have random dungeons in my campaign, (as probably many people do.) but I don't know what my party members' motivations will be to go there. Any ideas?

P.S. My campain is based on a "collect the X number of magic items" so just adding more of the magic items wouldn't be very interesting.

Maerok
2006-12-18, 05:33 PM
The promise of artifacts usually does the trick. :smallbiggrin:

Hefty Lefty
2006-12-18, 05:40 PM
Well, you could say that the only way to the next dungeon is through this one. For example, the only safe way through the rugged, icy mountains is through an old tunnel carved by Duergar. Actually, sometimes you don't necessarily need a reason. In a campaign I took part in, just the sight of a door leading underground enticed us to open it. It really had no point in the plot, but then again, not everything in the world has to do with whatever the PCs want done.

ChaosStorm
2006-12-18, 05:53 PM
stupid children/attractive person wander into dungeon and need rescuing (or a party member gets elfnapped)

the dungeon is actually an illusion created by a powerful spellcaster to test anyone entering the area in order to see if they deserve the knowledge she posseses. It could actually be a Dream Dungeon inside their minds while they sleep. The monsters aren't as powerful (or the rats are more powerful) and the experience isn't quite the same.

the ground gives underneath and the party has the option of scaling back up the hole or finding another way out. Don't force your party into the dungeon, though. Options are good.

Are those good? That was a fun five minute brainstorm!