PDA

View Full Version : (Prestige Class) Gambler

Leather_Book_Wizard
2006-12-18, 08:21 PM
Gambler

The battle raged on against the Lich. The barbarian was nearly dead.
" We can't stop him!" cried the barbarian.
" We can," replied the gambler," if you don't mind taking a chance."

Requirements
To qualify to become a gambler, a character must fulfill all the following criteria.
Skills : Profession (gambler) 8 ranks, Bluff 4 ranks, Intimidate 2 ranks, Sense Motive 4 ranks.
Feats : Skill Focus(Bluff), Skill Focus ( Sense Motive)

Hit Die: d6
Alignment: Any
Weapon and armor proficiency: The gambler is proficient with all simple and martial weapons and all light armor.
Class Skills: The class skills for the gambler ( and the key ability for each skill) are: Appraise( Int), Bluff( Cha) , Craft(Int), Diplomacy (Cha), Disguise (Cha), Escape Artist ( Dex), Forgery (Int), Gather Information (Cha), Hide(Dex),Intimidate ( Cha), Listen (Wis), Profession (Wis) , Search ( Int), Sense Motive ( Wis) , Sleight of Hand (Dex), and Spot (Wis).
Skill Points at First Level: 4+ Int modifier x 4
Skill Points at Each Additional Level: 4 + Int modifier,

BAB: Average
Fort: Poor
Ref: Good
Will: Good

Class Features:
Level Specials
1st, Luck, Gamble
3rd, Glare
4th, Wager
5th, Draw a Card
8th Double or Nothing
10th Great Gamble

Luck : Gamblers must possess good luck. Once per day, a gambler can reroll any die roll. He must take the result of the re-roll, even if it is worse than the first roll.

Gamble (Su) : A number of times per day equal to 3+ Cha modifier, a gambler can summon a pair of magical dice to alter reality. To determine the result, roll 2d6.

2 : Spontaneously cast any 1st level Evocation spell as a sorceror of your Gambler level.
3 : Gain a +3 to your next roll.
4: Lose 1d4 Dexterity points for 1d6 rounds.
5: Duplicates the effects of the rope trick spell.
6: Take 1d6 points of damage.
7: Gain a number of GP equal to 4 x Int modifier.
8: You grow warts all over your face, taking a -5 to Cha for 3d6 rounds.
9:
10:
11:
12:

Glare (Ex) : A number of times per day equal to 3+ Cha modifier, the gambler can glare unnervingly at an opponent. The opponent must make a Will save ( DC 10+ gambler's Intimidate modifier) or be shaken for 1d4 rounds.

Wager (Ex) : A 4th-level gambler gains the ability to "wager" against an opponent in battle (or any contest, such as opposed skill checks). You name a number between one and 20, then roll 1d20 against your opponent. If you win, you get that number as a bonus; if you lose, you take it as a penalty.

Draw a Card (Su) : A number of times per day eual to 3 + Cha modifier, a gambler can draw a card from a magical deck in order to cast a spell. Roll 2d6 to determine the outcome.

2-blink, greater
3-Mirror image (3 images)
4-displacement
5-blink
6-blur
7-entropic field

Bluff Mastery (Ex) : The gambler gets +5 to all Bluff checks.

Double or Nothing (Su) : 3 times per day,the gambler has a chance to double all his money or lose it. Roll d%.
1-50%: Lose all current GP. A successful Will save halves the GP lost.
51- 100%: Current GP is doubled.

Great Gamble (Su) : The gambler can roll a powerful set of magical dice to alter reality.Roll 2d6 to determine the results. The Gambler's luck ability can not be used on a Great Gamble.
2: Gain +10 to all rolls for 1d6 rounds.
3: Turn permanently green, purple, red, or pink(decided by the gambler). A gambler who changes color in this way takes a -4 penalty to Hide checks.
4: Gain 10d20 gp.
5: Take 7d8 points of damage. A successful fortitude save halves the damage.
6: Gain 1d6 negative levels for 1d4 days.
7: You are under the effects if a body of war spell( Spell Conpendium pg.35) for 1d4 rounds per 2 gambler levels.
8: Lose 1d4 ranks in any skill. The gambler cannot lose so many ranks as to disqualify him for the gambler class.
9: Become a Dwarf for 1d4 days.
10: Lose 1d4 points of Constitution permanently. A Fortitude save can be made (DC 20) to render the Constitution penalty temporary(3d6 days.)
11: Roll a Profession (Gambler) check (DC 15). For every point you succeed over the DC, add 1 to your Hit Points.
12: Roll a Profession (Gambler) check (DC 15+Opponents Cha Modifier). If the check succeeds, cast Power Word Die on one opponent per point of Charisma bonus.

Leather_Book_Wizard
2006-12-18, 08:22 PM
Tell me what you think!

CaelCyndar1993
2006-12-18, 08:37 PM
Two problems.

A. You didn't list at what level the Gambler gains his abilities
and
B. I find the gambling abilities over-powered. Since you're rolling dice or drawing cards, you should have more results with lesser effects.

Leather_Book_Wizard
2006-12-18, 08:40 PM
Oh, sorry. And how is it overpowered? I couldn't think of any other results for the rolls,but if you have any suggestions, I'll consider them.

Carrion_Humanoid
2006-12-18, 08:43 PM
Yeah, lesser effects, Food, water, Shelter, Goblins, Famine. . .

Leather_Book_Wizard
2006-12-18, 08:44 PM
Goblins, Famine? Alrighty.

CaelCyndar1993
2006-12-18, 08:45 PM
Well, for example: In Gamble, the total percentage of negative effects are 30%, leaving positive effects at 70%. Even that out, decrease the Dex damage to 1d4-2 (Min 1) and increase damage to 1d6

Edit: There actually should be 11 total effects for a dice roll. 11 is the number of possible number totals. In that case, have the player actually roll two six sided die.

Carrion_Humanoid
2006-12-18, 08:46 PM
Oh and dont forget possibly the most usefull

Midas touch-A curse AND a blessing
Rotting touch- Curse, all living things you touch rot

jlousivy
2006-12-18, 10:18 PM
drawing the cards should probably be a cha skill as well seeing how it's magical, i agree that there should be some more negative effects
and on Great Gamble.. there should be something negative with equal or greater effect than the crits, like.... all attacks on you are crits for 1d6+cha
its a GREAT GAMBLE, not a, HEY LETS HOPE FOR THIS if not.... i might take 8 dmg.. or turn a funky color (also what spell removes the color?)
also don't worry about a penalty being too great in 'great gamble' according to your chart you have to be at LEAST lvl 25 in order to achieve this, so with 8 damage, they might have enough 'fast heal' to regain that in 1 round
the evocation spells--- int based or cha based? i'd assume cha but it should definitely have a distinction

i definitely like the luck based class idea

in short, larger variety of effects, with a balanced positive/negative (equally strong and in quantities)

edit: also what determines caster level? --- i'd potentially like seeing this turned into a 'base class' with a restriction on alignment (no lawful)

CaelCyndar1993
2006-12-18, 10:22 PM
its a GREAT GAMBLE, not a, HEY LETS HOPE FOR THIS if not.... i might take 8 dmg.. or turn a funky color

But you forget, great doesn't always mean good. It also means big.

jlousivy
2006-12-18, 10:31 PM
i thought i was implying that ^^^ but thanks for putting it in better words :-)

Mewtarthio
2006-12-18, 10:52 PM
Prestige classes rarely go to twenty levels unless they're epic, and even then it's rare. Okay, actually, I can't recall any prestige class going to twenty levels that's not a homebrew epic thing. Ten is normal, five if it's more a quick honing of skills (eg Thaumaturgist), fifteen if you're creating a career (ie variant Prestige base classes like Prestige Paladin and Prestige Ranger).

The abilities are all overpowered. Every negative effect is brief and trivial while many of the positive effects are quite good. I'm not suggesting you go as far as the Deck of Many Things (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/artifacts.htm#deckofManyThings) and put up some nice items against permanent and irrevocable death, but you should consider making it so that the Gambler is actually gambling and not putting a negligible chance of getting entangled against a 40% chance of critting everything in sight (and what are those downsides to the Great Gamble? You have a chance of taking eight points of damage or turning a different color?)

Ing
2006-12-19, 03:56 AM
Well this inspired me to make my own class since I have a character who is playing a gambler...but he is not as magicly inclined (neither is the campaign) so I think I might use this to make a base of a mundage rogue prestige

Leather_Book_Wizard
2006-12-19, 07:00 PM
its a GREAT GAMBLE, not a, HEY LETS HOPE FOR THIS if not.... i might take 8 dmg.. or turn a funky color (also what spell removes the color?)

The color change is permanent.