PDA

View Full Version : True Heroes make their Luck (prestige class)

Ing
2006-12-19, 04:42 AM
Made for a gambler character in my campaign to take down the line. What's everyone's thoughts on it?

Gentleman/Lady of Fortune

Hit Die: d6.
Requirements

To qualify to become a GOF, a character must fulfill all the following criteria.
Base Attack Bonus: +5.
Skills: Perform 3 ranks, Slight of hand 5 ranks, bluff 5 ranks, Sensemotive 5 ranks, Profession (gambler)

Feats: Decietful, dodge

Class Skills

The G/LOC's class skills (and the key ability for each skill) are Bluff (http://www.systemreferencedocuments.org/35/sovelior_sage/skillsAll.html#bluff) (Cha), Escape Artist (http://www.systemreferencedocuments.org/35/sovelior_sage/skillsAll.html#escape-artist) (Dex), Gather Information (Cha), Intimidate (Cha), (http://www.systemreferencedocuments.org/35/sovelior_sage/skillsAll.html#jump) Listen (http://www.systemreferencedocuments.org/35/sovelior_sage/skillsAll.html#listen) (Wis), Perform (http://www.systemreferencedocuments.org/35/sovelior_sage/skillsAll.html#perform) (Cha), Sense Motive (http://www.systemreferencedocuments.org/35/sovelior_sage/skillsAll.html#sense-motive) (Wis), Slight of hand (dex) Spot (http://www.systemreferencedocuments.org/35/sovelior_sage/skillsAll.html#spot) (Wis), and Tumble (http://www.systemreferencedocuments.org/35/sovelior_sage/skillsAll.html#tumble) (Dex).
Skill Points at Each Level: 5 + Int modifier.
Table: The Duelist
{table]|Level |Base Attack Bonus| Fort Save |Ref Save| Will Save |Specia
|1st|+0|+0|+2|+1|Luck, bonus feat|
|2nd|+1|+0|+3|+2|Body reader, Size up the odds|
|3rd|+2|+1|+3|+2|Gambet, bonus feat|
|4th|+3|+1|+4|+3|Defensive Roll|
|5th|+4|+1|+4|+3|Winning Edge, Bonus feat,|
|6th|+5|+2|+5|+3| All in|
|7th|+6|+2|+5|+3|All or Nothing, |
|8th|+7|+2|+6|+4|Wild Card, bonus feat|
|9th|+8|+3|+6|+4|Lucky Bastard, Let'er Ride|
|10th|+9|+3|+7|+5|Master of Fortune|[/table]
Class Features

Luck: Once per day X Cha modifier the character can choose to reroll any die (before it is declared a success or failure or the like), they take the result of the reroll regardless of the outcome. A character cannot use this ability to reroll a confirmation roll for any of their other class features.

Size up the Odds: character can make a sense motive check vs (10+HD) of a creature or NPC to size up their CR or level. at 4th level a successful role additionally gives an estimate of the target's ability scores (Exceptional, good, adverage, sub-par, dismal)

Body Reader: Character is able to read the movements of other humanoid creatures (or alternativly creatures who are classified as a favored enemy) . at the begining of a round they are able to make a sense motive roll to gain an AC bonus equal to their CHA level agianst their dodge target. This ability lasts as long as the same dodge target is kept. Each change of dodge target requires a reroll.

Gambet: If a character makes a successful hit on all of its attacks agianst a single target they can choose to roll an additional attack (at their lowest BAB bonus). If it hits they deal an additional hit, if they fail they provoke an attack of oppertunity.

Winning Edge: A character chooses a favored weapon. For this weapon the threat range for a critical hit increases by 1 (ie 20 becomes 19, 18 becomes 17)

All in: at the begining of their turn a character can choose to convert their AC bonus's from DEX or CHA into an attack bonus. They can choose to convert a portion or all of their AC to AB and the penalty/benefit lasts until the character chooses to end it. Character cannot alter the penalty/benefit more than once on their turn.

All or Nothing: Upon making a full attack on a single target a character can choose to reroll each attack. If the reroll is a successful hit, roll an additional damage die (with no damage modifiers), if the reroll is a failure negate the damage from the first success.

Defensive roll: once per battle X cha modifier a Character can choose to roll for defense rather than use AC. Roll 1 D20 + AC-10, if the attacker meets this the attack is a hit if the attack roll fails to beat this the attack is a miss.

Wild Card: Once per day a character can choose to use a reflex save on a successful hit versus their AC. The DC is the attack roll+10. If the character meets the DC the damage is cut by half (or negated if the character has improved evasion), if the DC fails the character is left flat footed and stuned for the next round.

Lucky Bastard: Upon being reduced to bellow 0 hp, the character can choose to make a CHA save. If the CHA beats (10+damage delt on attack) the character is immediatly stabalized at -1 hp

Let'er Ride: After making a successful hit on an enemy a character can choose to continue to roll attack rolls. For each successful roll they deal additional damage, but if they fail one all attacks fail. They can roll as many times as they like.

Master of Fortune: Character gains CHA bonus as a bonus to all physical skill checks.

Bonus Feats: Combat expertise, dodge, nimble fingers, improved feint, skill focus sense motive, skill focus slight of hand, skill focus bluff, decietful, percise shot, far shot, iron will

Gentlemen/Lady's of Fortune are proficient with simple weapons and light armors (or any armors/weapon proficincy's from previous levels)

icke
2006-12-19, 08:06 AM
Good idea, but a few quirks are still in.

Size up the odds: The character should never gain information like level or CR of a creature(even the player shouldn't gain that). She could get general information about the creature, but nothing that could be expressed in numbers. Also, if the character wants to evaluate the mental capacities of a creature she would either have to interact with it or observe it closely, both actions take some time and You did not specify any time needed for this feature.

Body reader: This one should only last for one round, or a couple of rounds at best, especially when in combat.

All in: should be in effect until the end of turn, if the character wants the benefits of this she also has to go with the disadvantages.

What the heck do You mean with a CHA save?

ShneekeyTheLost
2006-12-19, 08:17 AM
Let'er Ride: upon recieving EXP a character can choose to roll a CHA check vs (10+CR) of the encounter. if the character beats the DC they gain 150% (rounded up) the exp if they fail they get 50% rounded down

Rule number 1 in creating PrC's: Thou shalt not ever create a PrC ability which in any way affects XP.

This needs changing. How about something along the lines of bonuses to damage on successive attacks, but at the first miss, all damage from that run is negated?

icke
2006-12-19, 04:59 PM
[/i]
Rule number 1 in creating PrC's: Thou shalt not ever create a PrC ability which in any way affects XP.

Oops, totally forgot to comment on that one. The Shneekey is right here of course, NEVER EVER blend XP into a class feature. Same goes for rules knowledge.

jlousivy
2006-12-19, 07:44 PM
All or Nothing seems rather weak.... personally i wouldn't use it except against obviously weak enemies
body reader- sense motive... against what? AC? 10+HD?

All in- is it ALL IN? or ALL IN or SOME IN--- i'd say AC is set at 10 for the rest of the round, and the first x attacks deal double damage?(or an extra die) ---- sorta like all is in, and if he fails... well.... he's SoL unless someone is ready to toss him some chips(cures)

i like master of fortune.

Ing
2006-12-19, 10:28 PM
All or Nothing seems rather weak.... personally i wouldn't use it except against obviously weak enemies
body reader- sense motive... against what? AC? 10+HD?

All in- is it ALL IN? or ALL IN or SOME IN--- i'd say AC is set at 10 for the rest of the round, and the first x attacks deal double damage?(or an extra die) ---- sorta like all is in, and if he fails... well.... he's SoL unless someone is ready to toss him some chips(cures)

i like master of fortune.
Body reader: Sense motive is agianst bluff and lasts as long as the character watches the same target (hence dodge target)

ALl or Nothing: at a good level character you get about 3 to 4 attacks per round. the ability to reroll allows you to pretty much get a chance of dealing double damage. if normally they have a raiper and hit 3 times they deal 3d6, if they succede on 2 rerolls and miss one they deal 4d6, if they succede on all three they deal 6d6. nothing to scoff at. Possibly might specify that it allows double bonus's to sneak attack as well would that make it better?

All In: is pretty much the reverse of Combat Expertise

Ing
2006-12-19, 10:37 PM
Changed let er ride to be more battle oriented.

jlousivy
2006-12-20, 01:12 AM
let'er ride can be a little TOO powerful, unless each additional attack has a penalty

And on all or nothing, i was thinking you had like 3 attacks
all 3 hit.
you re-roll
if any miss, no damage what's so ever (misunderstanding on my part)

Behold_the_Void
2006-12-20, 02:33 AM
Why does it appear to have full BAB progression except for the first level?

jlousivy
2006-12-20, 02:43 AM
The saves look odd... its poor/good/mediocre

Ing
2006-12-20, 02:54 AM
would you prefer I increase Reflex to very good?

jlousivy
2006-12-20, 03:01 AM
no no, i'm just saying usually saves are either poor or good -- just looked different that's all
not saying you can't have a 3rd type of save progression
but definitely not increase reflex save progression. no class should have a base save higher than a monk of that level

Ing
2006-12-21, 12:32 AM
what does everyone think of the class abilities?

jlousivy
2006-12-21, 03:59 AM
To be honest, i think that it is underpowered.
Taking 10 levels in wizard or even fighter would be more useful in almost any given situation. I'd add an ability that is sorta.... random, i think i saw it somewhere on this forum. where there was a % chance for one of like 10 things. I'd make 4 good, 4 bad, 1 fizzle, 1 very obscure(lowest percentage)
(not all luck is good)