PDA

View Full Version : The Defender (PEACH)

Clarkson
2013-08-26, 04:17 PM
I've seen base classes that specialize in damage dealing in melee, and decided to build a class that specializes in standing in the middle of a battle, and taking everything the enemy can throw at them. Without further ado

The Defender

Starting Age: As Fighter
Starting Gold: As Fighter
Abilities: Constitution is the most important ability for a Defender, not only does it increase your hit points, it also increases your fortitude save. Dexterity increases your AC, and your Reflex Save, making it very useful. Wisdom is also important, increasing your Will Save. As a melee fighter, Strength is useful, but your job is to keep the enemy from your backline.

Alignment:Any, typically Lawful

Hit Die: d12

Class skills: Climb (Str), Intimidate (Cha), Jump (Str), Swim (Str), Listen (Wis), Spot (Wis), Autohypnosis (Wis)
Skill Points at first level: 4x(4+int modifier)
Skill points per level: 4 + Int Modifier

Class Table: Defender
{table]Level | Base attack Bonus | Fortitude | Reflex | Will | Special Abilities | Dr
1 | +0 | +2 | +2 | +2 | Tough As Nails (+1), Combat Reflexes | 0
2 | +1 | +3 | +3 | +3 | Damage Reduction | 1/-
3 | +2 | +3 | +3 | +3 | Evasion, Block | 1/-
4 | +3 | +4 | +4 | +4 | Mettle | 2/-
5 | +3 | +4 | +4 | +4 | Tough as Nails (+2) | 2/-
6 | +4 | +5 | +5 | +5 | Stand Still | 3/-
7 | +5 | +5 | +5 | +5 | Taunt, Unencumbered Stride | 3/-
8 | +6 | +6 | +6 | +6 | Uncanny Dodge | 4/-
9 | +6 | +6 | +6 | +6 | Spell Resistance, Save from Death 1/Week | 4/-
10 | +7 | +7 | +7 | +7 | Tough As Nails (+3) | 5/-
11 | +8 | +7 | +7 | +7 | Improved Evasion | 5/-
12 | +9 | +8 | +8 | +8 | Improved Mettle | 6/-
13 | +9 | +8 | +8 | +8 | Damage Reduction Mastery | 6/-
14 | +10 | +9 | +9 | +9 | Improved Uncanny Dodge, Save From Death 2/week | 7/-
15 | +11 | +9 | +9 | +9 | Tough As Nails (+4) | 7/-
16 | +12 | +10 | +10 | +10 | Improved Save From Death | 8/-
17 | +12 | +10 | +10 | +10 | | 8/-
18 | +13 | +11 | +11 | +11 | | 9/-
19 | +14 | +11 | +11 | +11 | Save From Death 3/week | 9/-
20 | +15 | +12 | +12 | +12 | Tough As Nails (+5) | 10/-[/table]

Weapon and Armor Proficiency: A defender is proficient in all simple and Martial weapons, as well as all Armor and Shields
Tough As Nails: For each level you have of Defender, you gain 1 extra hit point. This bonus increases to 2 extra hit points per level at level 5, 3 at level 10, 4 at level 15, and 5 at level 20.
Combat Reflexes: At first level a Defender gains Combat Reflexes as a bonus Feat even if s/he does not meet the prerequisites
Damage Reduction: At second level a Defender gains damage reduction, as shown on the chart.
Evasion: As the Rouge ability, but without this sentence "Evasion can be used only if the Rouge is wearing light or no armor"
Block: Once per encounter per 3 Defender levels, a defender may attempt to deflect an attack that has line of effect through the Defender's threatened area. Make an opposed attack roll, if you succeed the attack roll fails. Should the attack end in an area of effect (eg: Fireball) the effect occurs at the square you blocked it in. You may only make one block attempt per attack.
Mettle: Starting at 4th level, a Defender can resist magical and unusual attacks with great willpower or fortitude. If he makes a successful Will or Fortitude save against an attack that normally would have a lesser effect on a successful save (such as any spell with a saving throw entry of Will half or Fortitude partial), he instead completely negates the effect. An unconscious or sleeping Defender does not gain the benefit of mettle.
Stand Still: At 6th level a Defender gains Stand Still (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/psionicFeats.htm#standStill) as a bonus feat even if s/he does not meet the prerequisites.
Taunt: At 7th level a Defender may use their swift action to taunt an opponent. Make an Intimidate check, opposed by the opponent's Sense Motive. If you succeed the opponent must make a ranged or melee attack against you next round. If they are incapable of attacking you, they move towards you until incapable. Your target must be able to hear for this to succeed.
Unencumbered Stride: At 7th level, a defender may move as if they were not wearing armor. In addition they may reduce their Armor check penalty by 4.
Uncanny Dodge: Starting at 8th level, a Defender can react to danger before her senses would normally allow her to do so. She retains her Dexterity bonus to AC (if any) even if she is caught flat-footed or struck by an invisible attacker. However, she still loses her Dexterity bonus to AC if immobilized.

If a Defender already has uncanny dodge from a different class she automatically gains improved uncanny dodge instead.
Spell Resistance: At 9th level a defender gains SR 12+ Defender Level
Save From Death: At 9th level a Defender gains the ability to keep someone from dying. Once per week if a defender touches someone who died within a number of rounds equal to or fewer than their Defender Level they may use Raise Dead on the touched person. At 14th level a Defender may do this twice per week. At 19th level they may use this ability thrice per week.
Improved Evasion: This ability works like evasion, except that while the Defender still takes no damage on a successful Reflex saving throw against attacks henceforth she takes only half damage on a failed save. A helpless Defender does not gain the benefit of improved evasion.
Improved Mettle: This ability works like Mettle, except that while the Defender still takes no effect on a successful Fortitude or Will saving throw against attacks henceforth she takes only half damage, or partial effects on a failed save. A helpless Defender does not gain the benefit of improved Mettle.
Damage Reduction Mastery: A 13th level Defender may treat all damage reduction from any source as if it were /-
Improved Uncanny Dodge: A Defender of 14th level or higher can no longer be flanked.

This defense denies a rogue the ability to sneak attack the character by flanking her, unless the attacker has at least four more rogue levels than the Defender has Defender Levels.

If a character already has uncanny dodge from a second class, the character automatically gains improved uncanny dodge instead, and the levels from the classes that grant uncanny dodge stack to determine the minimum rogue level required to flank the character.
Improved Save From Death: At 16th level and Higher a Defender may use Resurrection instead of Raise Dead when using Save From Death. The target must still have been Dead for equal to or fewer rounds than the Defender has Defender Levels.

Greenish
2013-08-26, 04:40 PM
I've seen base classes that specialize in damage dealing in melee, and decided to build a class that specializes in standing in the middle of a battle, and taking everything the enemy can throw at them.I'm not sure that concept really stretches to full 20 levels. Maybe a PrC would be better.

Palanan
2013-08-26, 05:35 PM
Originally Posted by Clarkson
Though As Nails: ...

This leaped out at me, like a Kzinti on a bad fur day.

EDIT: Also, no additional attacks on the BAB progression?

Clarkson
2013-08-26, 05:38 PM
I'm not sure that concept really stretches to full 20 levels. Maybe a PrC would be better.

I had been hoping to use this myself, and I tend to play 1-20. Not the biggest on Prestige Classes.

This leaped out at me, like a Kzinti on a bad fur day.

I'm not good at spelling. Changing now.