PDA

View Full Version : ...are those Gwiffons... Peeps?

Grogah
2006-12-19, 12:38 PM
Those gwiffons look an *awful* lot like Peeps (marshmellowly disgusting candy shaped like chicks, frequent target of dismemberment, arson, and insertion into vacuum chambers).

Anyone else notice the resemblance?

Brilliant.

ampcptlogic
2006-12-19, 12:40 PM
Yes, they do. And you neglected to mention they're practically indestructible, except by the human stomach.

Grogah
2006-12-19, 12:42 PM
Yes, they do. And you neglected to mention they're practically indestructible, except by the human stomach.

I'm not sure the human stomach can destroy them. They're classified as industrial waste!

pclips
2006-12-19, 02:10 PM
Wait til you see them in combat. :smallbiggrin:

EddieBird
2006-12-19, 06:40 PM
That depiction of a gwiffon bothers me too, and I like eating peeps. At least the Orlies look really good. *ORLY?*

Wallyz
2006-12-20, 12:19 AM
Here is another way to destroy peeps:
Yet another internet meme ripe for erfworld exploitation (http://www.solardeathray.com/peeps.html)

Krytha
2006-12-20, 03:42 AM
That is... terrifying...

Om
2006-12-20, 08:40 AM
Peep? I assume this is some American thing?

Manga Shoggoth
2006-12-20, 08:46 AM
Those gwiffons look an *awful* lot like Peeps (marshmellowly disgusting candy shaped like chicks, frequent target of dismemberment, arson, and insertion into vacuum chambers).

Anyone else notice the resemblance?

Brilliant.

I am amazed. I understood the reference. Admittedly only because "peeps" turned up in the Love Hina manga...

Wallyz
2006-12-20, 08:53 AM
Peeps (http://www.peepresearch.org/) are a disusting marshmellow candy that are given at Easter in the US.

Sereno
2006-12-20, 08:56 AM
Peeps (http://www.peepresearch.org/) are a disusting marshmellow candy that are given at Easter in the US.

If you unwrap them and let them get really stale ('bout a week or so), they're quite tasty and not disgusting at all! :)

BTW, they're made by Just Born Candies (http://www.justborn.com/), in Pennsylvania (USA)....

Alchemistmerlin
2006-12-20, 10:28 PM
You people are all horrible horrible heathens.

Peeps rule.

StickMan
2006-12-20, 11:24 PM
Peep? I assume this is some American thing?

My god you don't have Peeps that is like just wrong what is an holiday that has been destroyed by comerialization with out peeps. How will you ever understand the true meaning of Easter.

Moechi_Vill
2006-12-21, 12:46 AM
I don't have any peeps. :(
Now I know they will destroy much in combat.

Om
2006-12-21, 10:01 AM
Well let us hope that there are no "Twinkie" jokes coming up. I'm still not sure just what those things are. American food jokes tend to fly right over my head.

Wallyz
2006-12-21, 11:12 AM
Studying the Twinkies

In an effort to clarify questions about the purported durability and unusual physical characteristics of Twinkies, we subjected the Hostess snack logs to the following experiments:

Exposure

A Twinkie was left on a window ledge for 4 days, during which time an inch and a half of rain fell. Many flies were observed crawling across the Twinkie's surface, but contrary to hypothesis, birds, even pigeons, avoided this potential source of substance. Despite the rain and prolonged exposure to the sun, the Twinkie retained its original color and form. When removed, the Twinkie was found to be substantially dehydrated. Cracked open, it was observed to have taken on the consistency of industrial foam insulation; the filling however, retained its advertised "creaminess"

Radiation

A Twinkie was placed in a conventional microwave oven, which was set for precisely 4 minutes - the approximate cooking time of bacon. After 20 seconds, the oven began to emit the Twinkie's rich, characteristic aroma of artificial butter. After one minute, this aroma began to resemble the acrid smell of burning rubber. The experiment was aborted after 2 minutes 10 seconds when thick, foul smoke began billowing from the top of the oven. A second Twinkie was subjected to the same experiment; this Twinkie leaked molten white filling. When cooled, this now epoxylike filling bonded the Twinkie to its plate, defying gravity: it was removed only upon application of a butter knife. Extreme Force

A Twinkie was dropped from a ninth-floor window, a fall of approximately 120 feet. It landed right side up, then bounced onto its back. The expected "splatter" effect was not observed. Indeed, the only discernible damage to the Twinkie was a narrow fissure on its underside; otherwise, the Twinkie remained structurally intact.

Extreme Cold

A Twinkie was placed in a conventional freezer for 24 hours. Upon removal, the Twinkie was not found to be frozen solid, but its physical properties had noticeably "slowed". The filling was found to be the approximate consistency of acrylic paint, while exhibiting the mercurylike property of not adhering to practically any surface. It was noticed the Twinkie had generously absorbed the freezer odors.

Extreme Heat

A Twinkie was exposed to a gas flame for 2 minutes. While the Twinkie smoked and blackened and the filling in one of its "cream holes" boiled, the Twinkie did not catch fire. It did, however produce the same "burning rubber" aroma noticed in the irradiation experiment.

Immersion

A Twinkie was dropped into a large bucket filled with water, the Twinkie floated momentarily, then began to list and sink. Viscous yellow tendrils ran off its lower half, possibly consisting of a water-soluble artificial coloring. After 2 hours, the Twinkie bloated substantially. Its coloring was now a very pale tan - in contrast to the yellow, urine-like water that surrounded it. The Twinkie bobbed when touched, and had a gelatinous texture. After 72 hours, the Twinkie had increased roughly 200 percent of its original size. The water had turned opaque, and a small, fan-shaped spray of filling had leaked from one of the "cream holes". Unfortunately, efforts to remove the Twinkie for further analysis were abandoned when, under light pressure the Twinkie disintegrated into an amorphous cloud of debris. A distinctly sour odor was noted.

Summary of Results

The Twinkie's survival of a 120-foot drop, along with some of the unusual phenomena associated with the "creamy filling" and artificial coloring, should give pause to those observers who would unequivocally categorize the Twinkie as "food". Further clinical inquiry is required before any definite conclusions can be drawn.

Reprinted from SPY Magazine, July 1989

Gerrtt
2006-12-21, 11:29 AM
After seeing panel 4 of strip 10 I am getting more and more on-board with the "gwiffons are peeps" theory. Look at the gooey marshmallow center when that thing opens it's mouth to attack and roar!

I dont really think they are peeps, but you certainly can't help but notice the resemblence. Let me take this opportunity to say that I love this comic, keep up the good work.

Om
2006-12-21, 11:29 AM
Hmmm that still doesn't explain just what a Twinkie (Twinky?) is :smallwink:

Wallyz
2006-12-21, 11:37 AM
This is what they look like:

http://graphics.jsonline.com/graphics/entree/img/jul02/twinkie070302_big.jpg

Wallyz
2006-12-21, 11:38 AM
That's about life sized, too.

Om
2006-12-21, 11:39 AM
Ugggh... people actually eat those?

jami
2006-12-21, 11:52 AM
Oh yeah man! When we all nuke ourselves off this rock, the only thing that will be left is cockroaches and twinkies. Those things are invincible!

Wallyz
2006-12-21, 12:38 PM

Not only that, but they deep fry them before eating as well.

http://www.friedtwinkies.com/images/pic_friedTwinkies.jpg

Wallyz
2006-12-21, 12:40 PM
You may have noticed that your american cousins somewhat resemble the term "Fatass".

Om
2006-12-21, 12:49 PM
You may have noticed that your american cousins somewhat resemble the term "Fatass".
I this point in time I'm wondering why the term "dead" is not being used more often. That said of course, I have tasted that culinary delight native to Glasgow - the deep fried Mars Bar.

Gerrtt
2006-12-21, 01:10 PM
Dude, you haven't lived until you've had a deepfried twinkie! But yeah, not everyone eats them, many people I know have thought that they are gross in any form you may eat them.

And by the way, I've seen one with mold growing on it inside the wrapper that hadn't been opened. I thought I was at the nexus of the universe or something.

Wallyz
2006-12-21, 02:56 PM
I this point in time I'm wondering why the term "dead" is not being used more often. That said of course, I have tasted that culinary delight native to Glasgow - the deep fried Mars Bar.

There is a Comedian (Canadien) named Mike Myers who has a line- "Most of Scottish Cuisine is based on a dare"

Hallavast
2006-12-21, 02:58 PM
Peeps are good if you eat them on occasion. It's like pure sucrose. Twinkies are okay, but they're nothing special. I personally can't eat more than one at a given time.

InaVegt
2006-12-21, 03:10 PM
I really don't understand american cuisine, though dutch cuisine might not be perfect either.
http://www.kolibrie.nl/upload/images/Stamppot%20NTW%20Bij%20recept.jpg
Stamppot, traditional dutch dish
http://www.dutchcowboys.nl/fotoalbum/19/images/upload/album19/1130685851_popup_DSC01884.JPG

Snert, traditional dutch soup

EddieBird
2006-12-21, 04:51 PM
I am a healthy, thin (some might say scrawny) American.
There are lots of good, healthy, cuisine options in the U.S.A. You just don't see them advertised much. Nor do you see many resturants with healthy food. Most good American food is made at home by people who know how to cook without using a microwave. Its when you eat at a cheap resturant, or don't have the time to cook that you will find your options limited.

Wallyz
2006-12-21, 11:46 PM
Hey- I know I've lost 40 pounds in the last year. It's doable. You just have tobe counter cultural.

Mr_Teatime
2006-12-25, 04:25 PM
Is it just me or are the deep-fried Twinkies mostly native to the Southern U.S.? I see them all the time at fairs here (Northern Florida), but never once anywhere else.

Turcano
2006-12-25, 05:39 PM
Is it just me or are the deep-fried Twinkies mostly native to the Southern U.S.? I see them all the time at fairs here (Northern Florida), but never once anywhere else.

I think that they're just restricted to fairs and such. Yeah, carny food would kill you dead in a year or so if that's all you ate.

silentknight
2006-12-28, 02:14 PM
I heard a comedian say this:
"There are three native dishes of England. And two of those are cabbage."

EntilZha
2006-12-28, 11:58 PM
Oh yeah man! When we all nuke ourselves off this rock, the only thing that will be left is cockroaches and twinkies. Those things are invincible!

And Keith Richards. Because if you ever think you've partied too hard, just remember, he's still alive and kicking.

EntilZha
2006-12-29, 12:11 AM

That's not all. They've also been used as a defense in a court of law. In 1978, Dan White murdered San Francisco mayor George Moscone and City Supervisor Harvey Milk, and used what is now known as the "Twinkie Defense" to influence the court to convict him on the lesser charge of manslaughter. The gist of the Twinkie Defense was that White's alleged uncharacteristic consumption of Twinkies and Coca-Cola (he was apparently a fitness fanatic) was evidence of existing depression/mental instability, and therefore diminished capacity.

Ganjuu-kun
2007-01-13, 10:57 PM
Yes, the gwiffins are peeps. By the way, the best way to destroy a peep is to put it in a microwave... :smallamused:

mport2004
2007-01-16, 04:47 PM
Or Bite its head off

dragongirl13
2007-01-30, 12:18 AM
Yes, they're Peeps. And please don't call them disgusting. By the way, my first response to Jillian's gwiffon was "what the heck?!?!? That's a Marshmallow Peep! Erfworl IS cutesy!"

dragongirl13
2007-01-30, 12:19 AM
Oh, and another way to destroy a Peep is to dissolve it in Phenol or drop it in nitrogen and whack it with a hammer. And if you kill a peep by phenol, the eyes won't dissolve...

Erk
2007-01-30, 12:32 AM
Phenol is not at all pleasant stuff. It's probably more effective for killing humans than gwiffons.

Setra
2007-01-30, 06:43 AM
I rather dislike Peeps, Twinkies are okay, but I won't ask for them.

Actually it would seem most people hate Twinkies these days, really no one I have ever met, eats twinkies. Though this is a limited view.

Look /= taste..

If you think about it, food you have never tried, will always look odd. The first time I saw Chili, I thought it looked disgusting.

I love Chili.. and am craving it now... ... I'm gonna go eat I think.

Erk
2007-01-30, 07:50 AM
Peeps are kinda gross. I haven't had six month old peeps though. In Canada they are not nearly as big as in the US. We prefer this kinda puffy lizard-shaped treat, we call it a "dwagon"....

(last sentence is entirely a lie, for those inevitable dense ones)

PlugNPlay
2007-01-30, 09:53 AM
Peeps and Bunnies in my hot cocoa.... Mmmmm. And I get a little maniacal thrill from seeing them melt away as though consumed by phenol.

Sir_Faust
2007-01-30, 10:59 AM
I personaly preferr bunnies: http://www.solardeathray.com/bunny.html :smallcool:
lol

Scudboy
2007-01-30, 01:32 PM
Hadn't realized SPY had done the Twinkie tests well before the TWINKIE PROJECT did theirs. But SPY neglected the Turing test (http://www.twinkiesproject.com/turing.html).

Pyrian
2007-02-05, 02:58 AM
Its when you eat at a cheap resturant, or don't have the time to cook that you will find your options limited.

In short, to eat well in the U.S. you're best off cooking the food yourself. :smallbiggrin: