PDA

View Full Version : [Nexus] The Temple of Inari Returns

Chaotic Bob
2013-09-02, 04:33 PM
You have entered the temple of Inari, in her capacity as the Goddess of Foxes.

You walk down an elegant white gravel pathway between full-grown pines. Stone lanterns provide a pure white light to the path, while casting elegant shadows among the trees.

At the end of the pathway, a bright red gate stands. A large fox carved from white alabaster gleams at each side of the gate. As you pass between the foxes and through the gate, you feel the presence of the goddess. Gentle and caring, but mischievous and lighthearted, you are never quite certain what will happen.

Past the exquisite formal gardens, you finally step into the pagoda itself. There, at the end of chamber is a raised dais. There rests a statue of a beautiful werefox woman, flanked by two snow-white celestial foxes. Offerings of rice and incense stand before the statue.

In a niche off to the right side of the door sits a Fox-Cola vending machine. Next to the coin slot, the sign reads "10 cp".

To the left side of the door is a magic mirror, serving as a portal to Trog's Tavern.

Important Locales

- Sanctuary: the main sanctuary has the altar. This is where you must pray to speak to the goddess directly. There is a general magic circle in the center of the room. Typically used for summons or sealings, its purpose can be adjusted to the needs of the user(s).

- Meditation Gardens: accessed through a door at the far end of the sanctuary. This is a standard zen garden with raked gravel, shady nooks, picturesque pines, stone lanterns, and small intricate bridges. An artificial stream hosts large koi, and a grand cherry tree resides on a picturesque island in the middle of a good sized pond.

- Priest's Quarters: accessed by going down the stairs - halfway down the sanctuary, to the right - which leads to a covered pathway (technically under the garden)

Extraneous Information

While the primary faith of the temple is wholeheartedly geared towards Inari, other goodly faiths are not rejected from the temple. It is a friendly place and those who stay here aim to be accommodating.

The holy powers filling the temple have rendered it inhospitable to common undead, to the point of dangerous.
Barring the Sanctuary and Gardens, teleportation and other spacial movements have become limited by the priests. (If you want to just *pop* in, have to go through one of those two places)
Priests can trigger a latent effect enchanted into the building to extinguish fires, as needed.

Ye Olde D&D Holdovers
Profile for InariAlignment: Chaotic Good
Primary Domains: Good, Plant, Chaos, Healing
Secondary Domains: Magic, Sun, Animal, Trickery, Knowledge, Water
Forbidden Domains: Evil, Law, War, Death, Destruction

Goddess of the cultivation and growth of rice, including rice products. This gives her minor coverage for fertility. She is also the racial goddess of foxes, werefoxes, and kitsune.

Priest Granted Powers

Rice Paddy: Once per day
As Entangle, but the ground changes to knee-deep mud, and instead of creepers, mature rice plants twist and writhe to grapple anything in the area.

Sushi Bar: Once per day
You create rice, fish, and sake. You can create enough to feed one medium sized creature for each two caster levels.

Summon Celestial Fox: Special
You summon an image of Myobi (if you are a priestess) or Myobu (if you are a priest). The fox has HD equal to your level plus your wisdom bonus. In combat, the fox fights the same as a normal fox, but with appropriate bonuses for HD.

Cumulative Fox Abilities
{table="Head"]Priest Level|Times per Day|Special
1|1|Fight, scout, and Cure Minor Wounds
3|2|Cure Light Wounds
5|3|Status
7|4|Magic Circle Against Evil
9|4|Cure Serious Wounds[/table]
Temple Facilities

Everything but the Sanctuary and Garden has Dimensional Lock. The entire facility is Hallowed as per the spell with the Bless effect. A permanent Flame Quench (the reversed form of the 2nd edition Fire Storm spell) is on in a quiescent form on all the buildings. It can be triggered by any full priest.

Originally conceived by Fenric, with present adjustments independent.

Chaotic Bob
2013-09-02, 04:34 PM
It's been a pretty long day.
Completely worth it though.

Karaglen smiles rather happily, hands curled behind her back as she stares up at the big banner adorning the temple's entrance.

Inari's Temple Grand Reopening

A few balloons were tethered nearby, because she thought they looked nice, although she figured the temple itself could probably be the decoration.
She'd spent hours cleaning it up, sweeping out dust, shooing out brave little animals, and tidying up the garden.

The acolytes of the temple had been rescued from their dead-time early on, but she figured they might have had more important things to do than help her clean. Catching up with their goddess, figuring out how much time has passed, stuff like that.

So she didn't mind doing the harder work.
Some friends dropped by to help too, old and new, for which she was thankful. The plan had been to have this finished sometime tomorrow, but they sped things along quite a bit.

Which meant Phase 2 could start right away!

In the spirit of boosting everyone's spirits and helping the catch up process, a small party had been suggested, similar to the temple's usual Full Moon Festivals.
Simple enough, just put out some food, drinks, and arrange one of the poetry readings that the resident kitsune seemed fond of.

Everyone else was inside somewhere, milling about with each other and the little party. She'd wanted to set up the banner and balloons herself, as a final touch up.
A cherry upon her tentative cake to the city.

It probably wouldn't notice her gift right away, or ever, on its own.
But that was okay. There was time and she had a plan.

"...hm. Maybe the balloons are too kiddy."

Lycan 01
2013-09-02, 05:02 PM
[Meditation Gardens]

Away from the mild bustle of the just-starting party, in the peaceful tranquility of the meditation garden, a certain vulpine is currently being lazy.

A large white fox is currently laying in the grass next to the stream, watching the koi fish swim to and fro in the water. The fox seems to just be "chillaxing" as some would say, giving the occasional lazy twitch of an ear in response to a noise from the nearby party, but otherwise making no movements or actions beyond laying by the stream, watching the fish, and being... well... lazy.

Rebonack
2013-09-02, 05:11 PM
"Balloons are never too kiddy," Maph insists whilst tying a 'Get Well Soon!' balloon to a dead shrub. Barring divine intervention it is rather unlikely that the bush will be getting well, soon or otherwise. But sometimes it's the thought that counts.

Maph'tey had collected a great many balloons from a clown down on Market Street who seemed only mostly sketchy to them. Many of the messages on the sides of the garish decorations really didn't fit the theme of the back in business party, but balloons were balloons.

The Random Encounter had been sticking to their most innocuous shape largely for the benefit of everyone around. Not only to did the glassy wyrmling fit squarely into the realm of weapons grade adorable it kept some of the more extreme parts of their personality in check. One of the downsides to being a composite of three very different people. Sometimes one of them, and we're not naming names here, can get really mouthy.

That and letting Ruin out put many of the fox-priests on edge. Some of them were still sore about that one time Ruin turned the sun goddess into a pretty marble garden decoration. Honestly the priests blew the whole thing out of proportion, but at times there's just no reasoning with people.

"I hope Atreyu will stop by. I haven't seen that silly llama in forever," Maph comments whilst trying to decide where to put his collection of 'Happy Birthday!' balloons.

Chaotic Bob
2013-09-02, 05:36 PM
[Out Front]

Never too kiddy?
"Are you sure...?"

Karaglen is mildly skeptical, mostly because the balloons are...well, a rather stark contrast from the relative refinement of the rest of the temple.
But oh well.
"If you say so. At least two of us don't mind."

One moment, the little girl is arranging a few balloons to the other side of the banner on the ground, and the next moment a small silver dragon has replaced her, to flap up and tie some confetti-designed balloons above it.

"There! Much better."
Balloons should be spread around!

She takes a moment to take in her work, before flying down to land down near Maph'tey.
"I'd like it if Atreyu came by too, I miss him. So fuzzy.

Okay! So, have we missed anything?"

Rebonack
2013-09-02, 06:12 PM
[Out Front]

"Of course I'm sure!" Maph replies with every ounce of certainty he can muster. It's difficult to look resolute when dozens of balloons are threatening to carry one away into the heavens, but Maph'tey manages admirably. "If there's a celebration then you get balloons. It's traditional! I think."

If it isn't then it well should be.

Maph finally settles on tying the birthday balloons to one of those red arch things. They really aren't sure what the arches are called, though they're aware they have a name. No doubt one of the priests would inform them if they bothered to ask, but they're not about to display their architectural ignorance for all to see.

Being a random encounter, Maph's knowledge of free standing out door structures is pretty much limited to gazebos, both dire and otherwise.

"He is pretty fuzzy," Maph'tey agrees. "And his poetry is always pretty good. And he usually comes up with some fun games to play." The teeny critter huffs, glancing off toward the temple gates. "It seems like nearly all my old friends have up and vanished. Hopefully this might wake them up."

A toothy grin is flashed Kara's way. "Games! We need party games of some kind. And maybe a good way to attract people here. Free food usually works well."

Chaotic Bob
2013-09-02, 06:35 PM
[Out Front]

"Balloons are at most parties...and this one isn't a super-serious one."
So what the heck. The balloons are 100% okay.

No more fussing about it, Kara.

She wraps her tail in front of her as she stares back at the temple.
Periodically one of the kitsune within would become visible, calmly enjoying themselves.
Enough to make her smile.
"I didn't really think too far into the games. Only really remembered the poetry thing they like. Maybe darts?"
People still like darts, right?
"And, um...there was a bunch of food...assuming they didn't eat it all already."

Sure, a lot of it had that rice motif the temple was so fond of, but she's fairly sure she snuck in a few of the Trog's delicacies.
Mmm...bamhacon...

Deathkeeper
2013-09-02, 07:26 PM
Out Front

Ooh, new buildings reopening. That's always nice. Mist Anders pays the temple a visit. He's been told of it before, but had never had time to stop by. Mist is currently in human form, brown haired and around eighteen. He's not sure why, most people take one look at his vulpine eyes and figure him out.
Anyway, Mist walks up to the gates with his hands in his pockets and a smile on his face, looking to see if anyone's around. He's reasonably sure walking into temples uninvited is bad.

Rebonack
2013-09-02, 07:51 PM
[Out Front]

There are probably lots of fox-priests lurking about. The temple is a pretty foxy sort of place after all.

"They probably didn't eat all the food," Maph muses. "I could probably try making some more, but it would have to be something food-like to begin with or it'll turn into gravel in their stomachs."

The random encounter's tone suggests that he's tried this before and the results were none too positive.

"Oh hey! A guest!" he chips with delight before winging his way over the the currently human-looking fox person. Maph honestly isn't that large. Somewhere between really big cat and sorta smallish dog. "Welcome to the temple party! Want a balloon?"

A balloon announcing 'It's a girl!' is offered to Mist.

Deathkeeper
2013-09-02, 07:57 PM
Out Front

Mist takes the balloon with an amused smile.
"Thanks. You guys are just opening back up, right?"
He says to the little fellow.

Chaotic Bob
2013-09-02, 08:09 PM
[Out Front]

The small silver dragon behind Maph'tey seems momentarily surprised, before giving a pleased and rather fangy smile.

A prelude to resuming her prior appearance as a young silver-haired girl, clad in one of her many pastel-colored dresses.

Electing to take the job of explainer, since Maph'tey took the job of balloon-giver, she gives a little bow and gesture up towards her "GRAND REOPENING" banner.
"Yes! Or, well, they're reopening and we're helping out."
Helping out by being responsible for all of it?

"Um, we have food inside if you want some. And if the acolytes didn't eat it all.
Also poetry."
They never did get far enough to think of other things to do yet.

Deathkeeper
2013-09-02, 08:26 PM
Out Front

"Oh, cool, thanks. You friends with the priests?" he asks as he starts to head in.

Rebonack
2013-09-02, 08:36 PM
[Out Front]

"I think I fall somewhere between friendly acquaintance and horrible bane, depending on what's happening," Maph admits. "But it's been a pretty long time since I've done anything rightly villainous around the Nexus. It doesn't really stick."

Maph drops down on the ground and begins to follow along in a bounding waddle. How anything this cute could be a villain is left to Mist's imagination.

"Hmm... This party still needs something..." Maph muses, glancing up at the sky. "Maybe fireworks? Should I do a fireworks show later?"

Fireworks are always fun!

At least until someone gets set on fire.

Chaotic Bob
2013-09-02, 08:44 PM
[Out Front]

Horrible bane? Don't say such things Maph!
You're making Karaglen frown, however briefly.

"I was hatched here, so...they're more likely family to me. I've spent a lot of time here."
Always be close to those who helped care for you when you were young!

"Oh! I think I could find some fireworks if you wanted to set those off. Fireworks are great!"
No one ever gets set on fire by those. What a horrible thing to even imagine.

Speaking of, they seem to have forgotten an important step here.
"My name's Karaglen and this is my friend Maph'tey. What's your name?"

Just getting close to the door, the scene inside is revealed fairly simply.
Tables have been spread out holding (surprisingly not gone) food, and numerous drinks of the wine or juice varieties.

Somewhere off to the right, opposite the altar, are a group of kitsune going over poetry they're going to deliver soon.

The place is very clean, the results of recent effort, and a deliberate effort has been made to have an inviting atmosphere.
Best kinds of parties are friendly parties.

Deathkeeper
2013-09-02, 08:58 PM
Out Front

Mist shudders a bit as they approach the door. The whole atmosphere of the place makes it hard to keep his fox-self from asserting itself. Not that he'd mind, it would just be a little awkward to suddenly shapeshift mid-introduction.
"Nice to meet both of you. My name's Mist."

Rebonack
2013-09-02, 09:45 PM
[Out Front]

What's wrong with shape-shifting mid-introduction?

Shake things up a bit!

Keep people on their toes!

Make life a little more exciting!

"Nice to meet you Mist!" Maph'tey replies. "Is that Mist with an 'I' or Myst with a 'Y'? You know, like that adventure game from years ago?"

Decent chance that Mist won't know of said adventure game from years ago. Most realities probably don't have computer games after all.

Chaotic Bob
2013-09-02, 09:48 PM
[Sanctuary]

In they go.

Karaglen wouldn't mind too much a transformation to a more fox-like state. She certainly wasn't shy about changing to a more humanoid form from dragon.
To each their own.
"Nice to meet you too, Mist!"

Very genuinely happy to meet a new friend, in that little way children tend to be.

After taking a moment to quietly take in the faintly subdued party, she gives a little bounce.
"You don't happen to have an idea for any good party games, do you? Maph'tey and I were going to think of some, but since you're here, you could help to.
If you wanted, I mean."

Deathkeeper
2013-09-02, 10:00 PM
Sanctuary

"It's with an 'I.' I haven't played that game, actually. I've been meaning to get myself a laptop sometime when I've saved up enough. And well- would you excuse me for a second?"
Mist is abruptly several feet shorter, in full animal shape. He could have gone only part way, but like this he's closer to eye level. And for the record if it matters at all foxy!Mist is high on most people's cute scales.
"Sorry, it was driving me nuts. Anyway, I work at the Dancing Fox Inn (no relation to my species) which is pretty quiet, so I'm not very experienced in those sorts of things."

Rebonack
2013-09-02, 10:20 PM
The non-foxes at the temple probably have pretty high resilience to fox-based cuteness due to constant exposure.

Sort of like...

Adorable inoculations.

Or something.

"Ha! I knew it!" Maph declares with a laugh. "I knew you smelled foxy. Not like... foxy as in attractive. Foxy as in you smell like a vulpine critter."

That's an important distinction.

"I've been to the Dancing Fox a few times... But it was quite a while ago. What do you do there?"

Chaotic Bob
2013-09-03, 08:57 PM
[Sanctuary]

A little girl, a fuzzy fox, and a nigh-chibi wyrmling thing.

There's a couple friendly looks from the acolytes towards the Cute Brigade, but for the most part things keep going as they were.
The notice of another fox-kin is a source of approval, even it a largely unmentioned one.

Karaglen has minimal idea about the lap-tops and video games, beyond a few observed cases, so she stays out of that.
Not much about the Dancing Fox either.

So after a rather broad grin and restraining the urge to hug the newly-revealed fuzzy creature, she's sneaks off to the side.
"Be right back."
Let these two talk for a moment, she's got to talk to that group of acolytes over there for a second.

Deathkeeper
2013-09-03, 10:43 PM
Sanctuary

Mist would raise an eyebrow if he still had one. "Oh, sorry, I thought it was kind of obvious. Especially here. But anyway, I do a little bit of everything. Cleaning rooms, waiting tables, stuff like that. I even ran the place for a while when the boss was out."

Atreyu the Masked LLama
2013-09-12, 08:59 PM
*with a yawn and a long stretch, a llama wakes up and glances around the temple, starting to wag just a little.*

Well, it looks like somebody is feeling nostalgic today. OOoooooh, looks like a grand opening party GASP.... WITH BALLOONS!!

The llama runs out and attempts to pounce Maph'tey, Karaglen, without hurting either of them AND grab a balloon at the same time, but untimately ends up in a cartoonish tumble and comes up next to his friends holding a balloon by the string in his mouth.