PDA

View Full Version : [New DND 3.5 Template] Mithralborn - Needing help on CR and LA

Blinkbear
2006-12-20, 07:40 PM
Hello everyone. I just have thought about a new template for dwarven characters, to make them more interesting. The aim is a LA that is not too high. It is not build for munchkinism although I already see some opportunities. The problem is that I am not good at LA and CR of templates, so maybe you could have a look at it and give some feedback and/or suggestions about CR and LA.

Changes: Removed the Aberration type as well as burrow.

Mithralborn

In nearly every campaign setting, dwarves are somehow connected with stones and metal. This affinity is shown in their racial abilties. But once in every ten generations (or any other number you might find appropriate), a creature is born that has is a symbol of this affinity. To dwarven societies it remains unknown how those creatures that are called Mithralborn develop and why they do. Many dwarven communities might see it as a blessing of the gods.

Mithralborns are generally dwarves who a have thicker skin and are stronger as well as more charismatic than their brethren.

Their skin as a slight silver hue when they are born. Over their growing inner and outer strength, their skin becomes more and more silver, the color of mithral. With that they get more and more resistant to threats against themselves. Other physical differences might include silver hair and/or eyes color. They are often more persuasive and deceivable as their brethren and are often well-respected in clans.

Many choose the way of a paladin, serving the deity they think they got blessed from. Most at least select a warrior career, defending their homelands. They make good commanders and tough adventurers.

Creating A Mithralborn

"Mithralborn" is an inherited template that can be added to any living, dwarven creature. (referred to hereafter as the base creature).

A Mithralborn uses all the base creature’s statistics and special abilities except as noted here.

Size and Type
The creature’s type and size is unchanged.

Speed
Mithralborn use the base creature's speed.

Armor Class
Natural armor improves by +1 and an additional +1 per three Hit Dices (this stacks with any natural armor bonus the base creature has).

Special Attacks
A Mithralborn retains all the special attacks of the base creature.

Special Qualities
A Mithralborn has all the special qualities of the base creature.

Abilities
+2 Strength, +2 Charisma. This often simply lowers the charisma penalty that most dwarven races have.

Challenge Rating
?

Alignment
Any.

Level Adjustment
?

Challenge Rating
Same as base creature +?

chrek
2006-12-20, 10:24 PM
Honestly, From your description, I would give it a +2. the first for the + 2 to str and con with no mental penalty, and the other to make up for the natural armor that increases as they player increases in level.

I'm not sure the burrow speed fits, you might give them a higher base speed, perhaps 30 feet. This is simply a reference ot the fact that mythral is lighter than most metals.

Just some ideas.

magic8BALL
2006-12-21, 02:40 AM
(its a bonus to Cha, not Con)

Some sugestions:
Drop the burrow speed and type switch to aberation.
Change the natural armor bonus to +2 and keep it there.

With these sugestions:
LA +1
CR +1

Kevka Palazzo
2006-12-21, 03:38 AM
He meant after you take the dwarven racial abilities (+2 Con, -2 Cha) and add the mithralborn (which is a kickass concept in my opinion) template's racial abilities (+2 Str, +2 Cha) you get an overall racial ability change of +2 Str, +2 Con. No mental changes.

I also think you should take away the aberration type switch. I think elemental would be a better option, if you change the creature type at all.

Blinkbear
2006-12-21, 10:07 AM
Okay, I deleted the creature type switch and the burrow speed. Would this still be overpowered for a level adjustment of +1? I mean, of course, natural armor improves dramatically, but on the other hand an amulet of natural becomes more affordable with gaining levels, so I think it's not such a problem...

Please feedback!

XtheYeti
2006-12-21, 12:58 PM
La+2 and how did these dudes come into being?(i demand a background story of random fiction!!)