PDA

View Full Version : Heavies

Symian
2006-12-21, 04:42 PM
I LOVE the heavies. The Cloth Golems were exactly what I imagined, and I love the face on the sourmander.

Can someone tell me what a "tchotchke" or whatever is? I assume the balloon looking things are the tchochkes, and I know I've heard the word before, but does it relate to a real-world thing?

EddieBird
2006-12-21, 04:57 PM
Eddiebird envisions a carnival stand suddenly emptied of all it's prizes by an irritated magic user.
"What do you mean its 12 gold a shot? I'll show you! *CREATE CLOTH GOLEM*"

IronSoldier820
2006-12-21, 05:05 PM
Are you talking about the things that looked like Care Bears?

Doshi
2006-12-21, 05:59 PM
The Tchotchke, which the Giant said on another thread is a Yiddish word, are the translucent glass unicorn and cat. I don't think we've yet seen sourmanders.

chionophile
2006-12-21, 06:02 PM
The sourmander is the thing in the bottom left corner of the last panel of comic ten that looks like a large purple salamander with a pissed off look on its face.

Note how it doesn't have stitches and isn't made of glass like the other heavies in that panel.

Is cloth golem a reference to something? 'cause I'm not getting it if it is.

Aliquid
2006-12-21, 06:39 PM
Is cloth golem a reference to something? 'cause I'm not getting it if it is.In many fantasy settings (like D&D), there are various types of golems. Clay Golem; Iron Golem; Stone Golem, etc.

The concept of making a golem out of cloth (rather than a hard substance) is amusing, and the concept of calling a teddy-bear a golem is amusing.

slowpoke
2006-12-21, 06:53 PM
In English, a "tchotchke" is basically just a knick-knack, a little decorative trinket. Think of those little crystal/glass figurines you can buy at gift shops (in the shape of, say, a unicorn?)

Symian
2006-12-21, 10:29 PM
Awesome, thanks!

Yeah, the sourmander was definitely there. Looked like an elderly salamander. It might not have teeth, but it certainly looks to me like it's sucking on something increadibly sour.

silentknight
2006-12-27, 06:38 PM
You may have noticed that the pronunciation of "sourmander" is pretty close to "salamander" if you replace the L in the second word with a W.

Salamander
Sawamander
Sowamander
Souamander
Sourmander

chionophile
2006-12-27, 07:47 PM
That, or it always looks like it's been sucking on a slice of lemon.

silentknight
2006-12-28, 01:59 PM
Following the same logic as with the sourmander, Wanda's last name is likely "Fireball" before replacing the L with a W.

MinusInnocence
2007-01-04, 11:43 AM
"Wand of Fireball" is the best name for a character ever.

Jorkens
2007-01-04, 02:00 PM
Following the same logic as with the sourmander, Wanda's last name is likely "Fireball" before replacing the L with a W.
Maybe, but '-augh' is actually pronounced 'all' sometimes, eg Kelvinhaugh in Glasgow is pronounced 'Kelvinhall.' Or there's the beginning of Tam Lin -
"I forbid you maidens all
That wear gold in your hair
To go to Carterhaugh
For young Tam Lin is there... "

Which in turn reminds me of a limerick:

There was an old woman from Slough,
Who had the most terrible cough.
What she did not know
with how she felt now
was if she would ever pull through.

OT, but it makes me chuckle.

fehler
2007-01-04, 02:40 PM
"Tchotchke" is also a tech-word for the little give-aways you pick up at conventions and other company functions, with vendor logos printed on pointless objects. Coffee mugs, mouse pads, plastic doo-dads, etc. I have a cdw.com magic 8-ball on my desk for some reason.

silentknight
2007-01-05, 07:24 PM
-augh is pronounced -all. Hmmm, you learn something new every day.

TinSoldier
2007-01-05, 10:07 PM
"Tchotchke" is also a tech-word for the little give-aways you pick up at conventions and other company functions, with vendor logos printed on pointless objects. Coffee mugs, mouse pads, plastic doo-dads, etc. I have a cdw.com magic 8-ball on my desk for some reason.I thought that was called "swag".

Darth Paradox
2007-01-06, 01:44 PM
Tchotchkes are kinda like knick-knacks, I think. Little useless things to sit on a shelf. Often collected. Hence, the delicate-looking glass unicorn.

Demented
2007-01-08, 02:14 AM
It better be a glass unicorn and not a crystal unicorn.
Broken glass does lots of damage. Crystal... not so much.

Thomar_of_Uointer
2007-01-11, 07:34 PM
It better be a glass unicorn and not a crystal unicorn.
Broken glass does lots of damage. Crystal... not so much.

Well, what if they refract sunlight to fire laser beams from the horn? And then, being glass, they're immune to things like electricity. And if you spray them with Windex, dwagons fly right into them and get splatted!

Yeah, okay, that's kinda lame. Then again, seeing how vicious a peep was, I can't wait to see what cloth golems can do in combat.

DaMullet
2007-01-11, 08:42 PM
I gotta tell ya, I saw a reference to the short play, "The Glass Menagerie" in there. The glass unicorn is the main piece in the collection, and I found it in good taste to include it here.

silentknight
2007-01-12, 07:24 PM
Thomar of Uointer, that remark about spraying the unicorn with Windex was so funny it almost made milk come out my nose......and I'm not even drinking milk!

Seriously, funny!

Decius
2007-01-14, 05:51 AM
I'm sure that sourmanders are some kind of candy-type object. I have the feeling that anything that could be used as a army token in a geek's apartment will show up as an army unit.

Any bets that a group of 5 of the same type of army will show up as one, on a large red disk (poker chip)?