PDA

View Full Version : Golden Sky Stories

The Rose Dragon
2013-09-06, 04:21 PM
Oh my god oh my god it's out it's finally out! (http://www.rpgnow.com/product/118784/Golden-Sky-Stories?src=FrontPage)

I've been waiting for this game to come out since I saw the kickstarter. Since none of the rewards actually interested me, I hadn't pledged to it, but now it's actually available for sale, I am annoyed that I have to wait until Monday to buy it (damn you credit cards!).

Had anyone pledged to the kickstarter for it and thus already has the book? Can anyone tell me more details than there was in the kickstarter? Is it as adorably precious as it sounds like? It is by the same person who wrote Maid, so I expect it to be at least a fun read, but I'd really love it if it was a solid game as well.

AuraTwilight
2013-09-06, 06:19 PM
Er, not written by the same person, translated by the same person.

Regardless, it's really great. It's very fun and cute.

The Rose Dragon
2013-09-06, 06:22 PM
Nope, Ryo Kamiya wrote both games, apparently.

((Though you are right in that they are both also translated by the same person, Ewen Cluney.))

AuraTwilight
2013-09-07, 12:21 AM
Huh. Didn't know that.

Well, Golden Sky Stories isn't full of inappropriate sexual content so it's already better.

throtecutter
2013-09-07, 01:33 AM
Hello

I kickstarted it, and have the pdf. Anything in particular you are interested in?
It looks like the physical books from the kickstarter won't be arriving for a while.

Summery from the kickstarter:
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/nekoewen/golden-sky-stories-heartwarming-role-playing?ref=tag
This is a non-violent game where you play as Japanese henges, magical animals with shapeshifting abilities. Henges go around helping people through their problems.
There are 6 kinds of henges: fox, raccoon dog, cat, dog, rabbit, or bird. By default, this game takes place in rural Japan.

Quick overview of the game:

The different parts of creating a henge:
What kind of animal are you, What benefit/weakness pairs do you have, what are your stats, what do you look like as a human.

Example benefit/weakness pair:
Weakness: You are naturally curious and chase after things smaller than you, if it does something unexpected, you are surprised.
Benefit, you may steal something without being noticed each scene.

Stats:
Henge- Mostly relates to magic
Animal- Physical strength
Adult- hiding your feelings and reading others feelings and such.
Child- express emotions

The game divides each session up into a series of scenes. In the examples there are ~5 scenes, each scene being a conversation.
Each scene you are given feelings (used as a one-time boost for skill checks), and wonder (mana to use you powers/take human form). The amount you get is based on how connected you are to everyone in the scene.
When you do things that are cute, help, or heal someone, you can be awarded wonder (experience). This can be given by anyone, not just the narrator.

The game has a heavy focus around all player participating/working together. (Such as the characters are able to give out wonder, even to the narrator.) Though the narrator gets to make the final decision.

The stories are on a very small scale. It's not unlikely that the story could start in just outside the town, end in the town, and take place over an in game hour, with the goal of making a child happy.

Also, the game is played diceless, you take you stat (plus maybe a bonus of some kind), and compare it against either the other persons stat. Feelings can then be spent to provide a bonus if you choose to.

It is pretty much as adorable as the kickstarter made it look.
Though it wasn’t as much of a fun read as a cute read. Though I define a fun read as reading Paranoia.

Do note that this is me remembering from a month or 2 ago, and a quick skim now, so I make no guarantees.