PDA

View Full Version : Advice to a new DM?

Cmega3
2013-09-07, 06:29 PM
Hi guys and gals, Cmega3 here.

So, I recently got into roleplaying games. I'm trying to get my friends hooked, but I don't know how to be a succesful DM, so I made a Play-By-Post (http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=130141.0) on the Bay12 as a preparation.

I started with free games. My game lybrary is basically:
-FATE (got it thru loophole):smalltongue:
-Cascade Failure
-Legend, from RuleOfCool. Seems nice.

My plan is starting with these, and once my friends start playing, I can buy myself DnD 4e or Warhammer 40k, along as some real dice.
Do you think I should do this? I heard DnD 4e is very complex and you need lots of rulebooks, so old versions are better.

Also, how can I get my friends into it?
How can I make good stories?
And, the hardest one:
How can I balance enemy stats and XP earned?

Any other Dungeon Master's advice would also be good, along with cunstructive criticism on my DMing the PBP game I put above.

Thank you!

Black Jester
2013-09-07, 07:05 PM
Step 1: Find a setting, style and plot you are comfortable with. Ask your players if they would be comfortable with it as well. If you are going to run a game, it usually works best if you like the possible outcome and it usualy doesn't work too well to try to force the players into something they wouldn't enjoy.

Step 2: Choose one set of rules you like and is either easily available or already known to your fellow players. Make sure that you are proficient enough in the rules so that you can use and explain them. Which rules you chose is usually a matter of taste, but it is often easier to find players for the more popular games.

Step 3: Invite your players to create characters and let them put up a few plot elements for their characters resulting from their background; it is not a bad idea to ask the players to include other PCs in their backstories or the like and ask them how they think their characters should develop.

Step 4: Run a simple story. For the first adventures, focus more on the storytelling aspect and make it easy to get familiar with the setting and the rules, not just for the players, but also for yourself. Don't give up if the whole plot doesn't work perfectly, or if any problems occur. Just try to keep calm and try to make it enjoyable for everyone involved.

Step 5: When it comes to XP awards, jut ask the players what they think is appropriate and try to find a ruling that doesn't make the rewards look cheap or too tough to gain; which is appropriate can vary widely for any given game or style, so there is no general rule, but including the players in the judgment can be a good way to avoid conflicts.

Step 6: Have fun. if you are not having a good time while running a game, you will probably not being in your best form to make it that entertaining for others, either.

originalginger
2013-09-07, 08:30 PM
Always be mindful of what the players want. Does a specific player really like dinosaurs? Make sure there is a Lost Valley somewhere in the setting, and that that player knows that it exists, even if it means extra work for you. If a player at the table seems bored, ask them why, and what would make the game more fun for them. As long as a reasonable solution can be found, implement it as soon as you can.

The DM is NOT GOD, no matter what less informed people might have told you. The DM is there to facilitate engaging adventures for the players, and to adjudicate rules and maintain a fair playing environment. He or she has the final say in disputes and has the right to interpret the rules, but if all the players disagree, the DM should secede unless there is a very good reason not to.

Players always will do precisely what you never expected them to do, and you should let them. Once my high-level party cleared a dungeon that I had spent weeks on in a single round without ever even entering. They destroyed a dam and flooded the place. Did I complain? No. I reused my dungeon in other places, and arranged for a few of the creatures in said dungeon to have been carrying a plague that spread to nearby towns though the flood water, and set the party on a whole new adventure to fix their mistake. In other words, be adaptable, and let the players tell the story with their actions, even if it isn't the story you intended to tell.

Cmega3
2013-09-07, 08:46 PM
Step 1: Find a setting, style and plot you are comfortable with. Ask your players if they would be comfortable with it as well. If you are going to run a game, it usually works best if you like the possible outcome and it usualy doesn't work too well to try to force the players into something they wouldn't enjoy.

Step 2: Choose one set of rules you like and is either easily available or already known to your fellow players. Make sure that you are proficient enough in the rules so that you can use and explain them. Which rules you chose is usually a matter of taste, but it is often easier to find players for the more popular games.

Step 3: Invite your players to create characters and let them put up a few plot elements for their characters resulting from their background; it is not a bad idea to ask the players to include other PCs in their backstories or the like and ask them how they think their characters should develop.

Step 4: Run a simple story. For the first adventures, focus more on the storytelling aspect and make it easy to get familiar with the setting and the rules, not just for the players, but also for yourself. Don't give up if the whole plot doesn't work perfectly, or if any problems occur. Just try to keep calm and try to make it enjoyable for everyone involved.

Step 5: When it comes to XP awards, jut ask the players what they think is appropriate and try to find a ruling that doesn't make the rewards look cheap or too tough to gain; which is appropriate can vary widely for any given game or style, so there is no general rule, but including the players in the judgment can be a good way to avoid conflicts.

Step 6: Have fun. if you are not having a good time while running a game, you will probably not being in your best form to make it that entertaining for others, either.

Thanks. I think I like sci-fi and fantasy settings most, and my friends seem to like fantasy setting roll-to-dodge games. However, they don't like reading whole books to play a game. I think they would rather I 'guide' them through the rules with a basic idea and crossing bridges when we get to them, instead of reading a rulebook and trying to figure it out themselves.

Always be mindful of what the players want. Does a specific player really like dinosaurs? Make sure there is a Lost Valley somewhere in the setting, and that that player knows that it exists, even if it means extra work for you. If a player at the table seems bored, ask them why, and what would make the game more fun for them. As long as a reasonable solution can be found, implement it as soon as you can.

The DM is NOT GOD, no matter what less informed people might have told you. The DM is there to facilitate engaging adventures for the players, and to adjudicate rules and maintain a fair playing environment. He or she has the final say in disputes and has the right to interpret the rules, but if all the players disagree, the DM should secede unless there is a very good reason not to.

Players always will do precisely what you never expected them to do, and you should let them. Once my high-level party cleared a dungeon that I had spent weeks on in a single round without ever even entering. They destroyed a dam and flooded the place. Did I complain? No. I reused my dungeon in other places, and arranged for a few of the creatures in said dungeon to have been carrying a plague that spread to nearby towns though the flood water, and set the party on a whole new adventure to fix their mistake. In other words, be adaptable, and let the players tell the story with their actions, even if it isn't the story you intended to tell.

Thanks for the advice. I think I am flexible in how to handle stuff, and would in fact love my players finding creative ways to fix problems and roleplaying in ways I didn't expect.

originalginger
2013-09-07, 09:07 PM
Thanks. I think I like sci-fi and fantasy settings most, and my friends seem to like fantasy setting roll-to-dodge games. However, they don't like reading whole books to play a game. I think they would rather I 'guide' them through the rules with a basic idea and crossing bridges when we get to them, instead of reading a rulebook and trying to figure it out themselves.

Thanks for the advice. I think I am flexible in how to handle stuff, and would in fact love my players finding creative ways to fix problems and roleplaying in ways I didn't expect.

When introducing new players, I have a short summary of the major rules (how to make checks, the sequence and steps of combat, yada yada, basically as much of the baicis I can fit on 5 pages or less) I make sure the players always have access to that, the players handbook/core rulebook, and a notebook so they cam make any notes on the rules and game events that they want.

I love it when my players do the unexpected, it keeps me on my toes. I find it helps to have a number of premade NPCs on index cards with basic stats on one side, and a short description on the other. Players want to go to the blacksmith? Cool, I have him right here! I also have a collection of encounter groups of various kinds at or near the PCs level to pull out if needed. If they pick a fight in the local pub, it is nice to be able to jut pull out the 'aggressive locals' encounter group, or pull out the 'undead horde' if they happen to raid a temple sepulture, rather than try to pull an encounter out of my butt at the last minute.

Edit- Also, you don't NEED more than either the -PHB, MM, and DMG- basic set, or -Heroes of the Fallen Lands, Rules Compendium, Monster Vault- essentials set to play 4e. That said, a lot of the best powers are in the Martial Power, Divine Power etc. supplements. There is a lot of cool gear in the Adventurer's vault, and there is the Dark Sun creature Catalog, three Monster Manuals, Threats to the Nentir Vale, and many other sources for races, classes, monsters, powers, etc. so the number of books you THINK you need can add up quickly, to the detriment of you and your player's wallet.

Cmega3
2013-09-07, 09:27 PM
When introducing new players, I have a short summary of the major rules (how to make checks, the sequence and steps of combat, yada yada, basically as much of the baicis I can fit on 5 pages or less) I make sure the players always have access to that, the players handbook/core rulebook, and a notebook so they cam make any notes on the rules and game events that they want.

I love it when my players do the unexpected, it keeps me on my toes. I find it helps to have a number of premade NPCs on index cards with basic stats on one side, and a short description on the other. Players want to go to the blacksmith? Cool, I have him right here! I also have a collection of encounter groups of various kinds at or near the PCs level to pull out if needed. If they pick a fight in the local pub, it is nice to be able to jut pull out the 'aggressive locals' encounter group, or pull out the 'undead horde' if they happen to raid a temple sepulture, rather than try to pull an encounter out of my butt at the last minute.

These are all great ideas. Thanks for the help!:smallbiggrin:

JoshuaZ
2013-09-08, 09:24 PM
If you make a bad call or mess something up, don't hesitate to admit it. Players will respect you more for it.

Subaru Kujo
2013-09-09, 08:13 AM
If you make a bad call or mess something up, don't hesitate to admit it. Players will respect you more for it.

And to add on to this. If you decide something works better one way, do your damnedest to stick to that rule. That is, draw up a homebrew rule list.

kyoryu
2013-09-09, 04:22 PM
My general advice for new GMs is "play Dungeon World". I think its SRD is available freely.

Apart from that, I can only really respond to this from a Fate perspective, since it's the only game of those that I'm familiar with.

Here's my general 'how to' sheet for running Fate:

https://plus.google.com/108546067488075210468/posts/K2E4ivswdQZ

Also, it's not a loophole to have Fate any more - Fate Core is available via .pdf on a "pay-what-you-want" basis.

Above and beyond that, your questions show a lot of implicit biases - why do you necessarily need to have a "plot"? Why do you need to have "balanced" encounters? Why do you need to think about the EXP schedule? These are all assumptions that won't hold true for a lot of games.

Kane0
2013-09-09, 05:35 PM
Hi guys and gals, Cmega3 here.

I heard DnD 4e is very complex and you need lots of rulebooks, so old versions are better.

Also, how can I get my friends into it?
How can I make good stories?
And, the hardest one:
How can I balance enemy stats and XP earned?

Any other Dungeon Master's advice would also be good, along with cunstructive criticism on my DMing the PBP game I put above.

Thank you!

Take up 4e essentials, its much easier to get into than standard 4e. 4e as a whole is very good (as far as D&D goes) for balancing encounters, XP and loot.
A DDI subscription is ridiculously cheap for the sheer amount of content it gives you, as well as their really nice character builder, compendium and combat tool.

Start small and simple, focus on having fun. The more you DM the better you will learn the ropes and can expand into using more content and running crazier campaigns.

Honest Tiefling
2013-09-09, 07:31 PM
Your players will never do what you expect them to. Learn to improvise and roll with it, and you'll be their new best DM.

Also make sure that everyone is on the same page on what to expect. Dropping a heavy roleplay, grim n' gritty dark toned campaign onto players expecting a lighthearted dungeon romp is not going to go well, regardless of how well crafted it is.

You make good stories by thinking in my opinion. That sounds stupid, but I find that the most interesting stories are ones where the DMs sat down and figured out the repercussions of the details they put into the world. For instance, what would the geographical location of a city mean for its architecture, trade and culture? It's the details that I really like, through YMMV.

I believe that 4th edition has some quick start rules flying around somewhere, so I would use that before you sink a bunch of money into the game. I am not saying that 4e is bad, just that I have seen people either love it or hate it.

Tyndmyr
2013-09-09, 09:48 PM
Also, how can I get my friends into it? Well, what are your friends into? Cater to that.
How can I make good stories? I'd suggest starting out by stealing heavily from a source your players are unfamiliar with. Modules or adventure paths are often a great start.
And, the hardest one:
How can I balance enemy stats and XP earned? It varies on system. Most will have some sort of guide for you, but if not...eyeball it based on perceived difficulty.

I generally also suggest keeping it simple for starters. Don't add houserules, variant rules and such the first time out the gate. Keep it easier for players and you to pick up. There will be other games down the road for customization.

If in doubt between different systems, pick the easiest to learn one.

Start at whatever level is simplest to build chars for. In most systems, D&D included, this is usually level one.

Hell, considered building a wide assortment of mechanical prefab chars. Sometimes, a fast, easy to play one shot is a good way to lure in new players.

Cmega3
2013-09-15, 07:03 PM
Hey guys, thanks for the help!
I managed to run a short game, and my players loved it!