PDA

View Full Version : Nice Job Nale

J_Muller
2006-12-23, 01:52 AM
Am I the only one who has new admiration for Nale after that excellent bit of impromptu bluffing?

Of course, it didn't work, but nothing goes 100% to plan. It was going pretty darn good until the end there, though.

Spiky
2006-12-23, 01:55 AM
Yes, not bad at all.

Nerd-o-rama
2006-12-23, 01:57 AM
Better than Nale's usual attempts at spur-of-the-moment decision-making, which seems to consist typically of "Run the hell away."

Brickwall
2006-12-23, 02:07 AM
I believe that Vaarsuvius once commented that the judgement of success should often take into account serendipity (or lack thereof).

A for effort, though.

Querzis
2006-12-23, 02:09 AM
Another proof he actually really got a high int, but is wisdom must be as low as is brother. Mix a bond villian, a mad scientist and an egocentric bastard and what do you get: Nale, the best villian ever!

Skyserpent
2006-12-23, 02:20 AM
Another proof he actually really got a high int, but is wisdom must be as low as is brother. Mix a bond villian, a mad scientist and an egocentric bastard and what do you get: Nale, the best villian ever!

I dunno, I kinda like the; Evil CEO, Captain Barbossa, with a dash of Insane Arcane Power, mixture we've got going with ol' Xykon.

War
2006-12-23, 03:00 AM
It's darn good for a spur-of-the-moment last-ditch plan, and better than running indeed. Given time for closer inspection, Nale's story is chock full of holes, but in the heat of the moment you can't blame a guy for not noticing them.

On the other hand, it's just bad policy to listen to anything a manipulative villain says while desperate. And very, very bad policy to turn one's back on him. It's kind of a nice reassurance that Elan hasn't gotten too much smarter. :smallbiggrin:

Tokiko Mima
2006-12-23, 03:14 AM
Better than Nale's usual attempts at spur-of-the-moment decision-making, which seems to consist typically of "Run the hell away."

Agreed! However, I notice Nale is absent in the last panel. He's probably implimenting the phase two "Run the hell away" portion of his plan.

Izodor
2006-12-23, 03:20 AM
I so think Nale is THE best villain!

LE to the ultimate.

emPty
2006-12-23, 03:39 AM
Admiration? I wanted to hit the bastard when he started that line of thought. Though he is evil... and that was the most intelligent thing he's ever done.

Archangel62
2006-12-23, 06:06 AM
I think it was also rather interesting that he managed to hold himself together fairly well when you consider that Elan was basically kicking his ass.

Aldebaran
2006-12-23, 06:12 AM
Admiration? I wanted to hit the bastard when he started that line of thought. Though he is evil... and that was the most intelligent thing he's ever done.

True, very true :)

One thing I canīt understand, though, is how the heck did he manage to get up again after Elan literally ran his rapier THROUGH him! Iīd say- a certain death, or at least the unability to do anything but bleed quietly...
Ah well,itīs a FANTASY comic, I guess :smallbiggrin:

Iranon
2006-12-23, 06:43 AM
Actually, being run through with a rapier as shown could go either way... Nale was lucky but it's hardly unrealistic (even disregarding the preternatural fortitude of high-level characters).

Congratulations to Nale for almost pulling it though (and he likely would have had Haley not overcome her inhibition). Taking control of a very fudged-up situation like that, being all too aware of his stereotypical villain-y behaviour, then milking it for all it's worth? Priceless.

Bonus points for almost managing to utterly destroy Elan in a way worse than playing Celine Dion albums.

Setra
2006-12-23, 06:51 AM
Am I the only one who thinks that while :elan: has his back turned/is shocked at the confession of :haley: , :nale: will either run him through with his dagger, or run off?

Kjata
2006-12-23, 07:06 AM
Elan will not be stabbed for christ sakes... He has a happy ending, remember?

The Vanishing Hitchhiker
2006-12-23, 07:26 AM
Well, when he does die (no doubt soon), he'll die happy - he's found his dream job, he's got his dream girl...

But his survivors/mourners? Won't be so happy for them.

...the paraderain! It burns my flesh!

Last_resort_33
2006-12-23, 09:33 AM
True, very true :)

One thing I canīt understand, though, is how the heck did he manage to get up again after Elan literally ran his rapier THROUGH him! Iīd say- a certain death, or at least the unability to do anything but bleed quietly...
Ah well,itīs a FANTASY comic, I guess :smallbiggrin:

let's work this out.
Even on a critical hit with a rapier that's only 2d6+6+2*CHR so assuming Elan has reasonably CHR around 20 (assuming he has moved up somewhere between 8 and 12 levels between Strip 28 (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0028.html) and now (possibly even more as he seems to have put a point in INT))then the max he could have done in normal circumstances is 38 damage... (correct me if I'm wrong) which is not enough to do anyone in of Nale's sort of level... and that's the maximum he could have hit in one shot... and the best someone could probably do when hitting someone with a rapier is to put it straight through their chest... maybe he's just horribly bleeding through his lungs... that'll take a few minutes to finish him off... that's if he doesn't have a cure moderate wounds potion on him.. but then D20 doesn't cover awake but bleeding to death.

nothingclever
2006-12-23, 10:11 AM
Am I the only one who thinks that while :elan: has his back turned/is shocked at the confession of :haley: , :nale: will either run him through with his dagger, or run off?
Maybe he'll do both and run off to quickly explain everything to his party.

Or maybe he'll just run and tell everyone what's going down and when Elan finally turns away from Haley they'll see all 3 members of Nale's group ready to attack.

Amon Star
2006-12-23, 10:12 AM
I always respected :nale: villainy, but that was him at his finest.

:nale: will run like hell after the beating he got, especially since the heroes are somewhat distracted at the moment.

EDIT: Ninja'd again!

Megalomaniac2
2006-12-23, 11:17 AM
Indeed, Nale truly showcased his clever fiendishness on this one, first by getting Thog and Sabine out of the way, then by using his brother's insecurities and idiocies brilliantly against him.

rgoodfellow
2007-02-26, 11:37 AM
I so think Nale is THE best villain!

LE to the ultimate.

Dude. Seriously.

Xykon.

Enough said.

Izodor
2007-02-26, 11:40 AM
Dude. Seriously.

Xykon.

Enough said.

Xykon is CE, seriously....

Enough said. :smallwink:

Renegade Paladin
2007-02-26, 11:45 AM
This thread is two months old, seriously.

Enough said.