PDA

View Full Version : Homebrewed weapons

Cirnech
2006-12-23, 02:54 AM
I've been working on what I hope to be a campaign setting I'll use for a while. I'd like some feed back on the home brewed material I've created for this setting. Here I'll post the new weapons I've created. Most of them were created by Ogre Mages (who were once a prelavent and glorious society), and as such are more benificial for larger creatures than smaller ones.

I appologize that I won't be able to respond right away to feedback, as I'm returning home from Korea in the morning (which will take about 3 days after figuring in a night's sleep at the end).

Weapons
{table=head]Weapon|Cost|Dmg (S)|Dmg (M)|Dmg (L)|Critical|Weight|Type

Blade, Light|323|1d6|1d8|1d10|19-20/x2|3 lb.|Piercing or Slashing

Spear, Elven|15|1d6|1d8|1d10|20/x3|6 lb.|Piercing or Slashing

Maul|8|1d10|1d12|2d8|20/x2|12 lb.|Bludgeoning

Blade, Full|75|2d6|2d8|3d6|19-20/x2|24 lb.|Slashing

Bolas, Ogre|40|--|1d10|2d8|20/x2|15 lb.|Bludgeoning and piercing

Maul, Dragon|35|2d4|2d6|2d8|19-20/x3|15 lb.|Bludgeoning

Scythe, Long|20|1d6|1d8|2d6|20/x3|13 lb.|Piercing or Slashing

Spear, Double|35|1d6/1d6|1d8/1d8|2d6/2d6|20/x3|12 lb.|Piercing or Slashing[/table]

Weight figures are for Medium weapons. A Small weapon weighs half as much, and a Large weapon weighs twice as much.
Light Blades are Light Weapons. Elven Spears and Mauls are one-handed weapons. All other weapons listed are two-handed weapons.
All weapons listed here are exotic weapons.

Blade, Light: A light blade is always crafted as a masterwork weapon (This cost is already factored into the price of the weapon). Any attempt to craft a non-masterwork light blade invariably produces a rapier one size too large.
Blade, Full: A full blade requires 15 Str to wield effectively. Any creature attempting to wield a full blade with less strength takes a -2 non-proficiency penalty to attack rolls and armor class (in addition to any penalties for not having the appropriate feat) and provokes an attack of opportunity regardless of any proficiency.
A full blade crafted for a large size creature has greater reach, allowing you to strike opponents 5 more feet away than you normally could. In addition, unlike most other weapons with reach, it can be used against an adjacent foe. However, full blades created for huge or larger creatures do not gain this benefit.
Bolas, Ogre: Ogre Bolas have reach, so you can strike opponents 10 feet away with it. In addition, unlike most other weapons with reach, they can be used against an adjacent foe.
You can make trip attacks with the bolas. If you are tripped during your own trip attempt, you can drop the bolas to avoid being tripped.
When using ogre bolas, you get a +2 bonus on opposed attack rolls made to disarm an opponent (including the roll to avoid being disarmed if such an attempt fails).
You can use the Weapon Finesse feat to apply your Dexterity modifier instead of your Strength modifier to attack rolls with ogre bolas sized for you, even though it isn’t a light weapon for you.
Ogre bolas can be used as a ranged weapon. It deals less damage (see table), however, unlike normal bolas, ogre bolas are spiked and deal lethal damage, even if thrown. Ogre Bolas require 17 Str to wield effectively. Any creature attempting to wield ogre bolas with less strength takes a -4 non-proficiency penalty to attack rolls (in addition to any penalties for not having the appropriate feat) and provokes an attack of opportunity regardless of any proficiency.
Large ogre bolas are much more effective than smaller ones. Ogre bolas created for small sized creatures are instead treated as regular bolas, as they are useless for melee combat. Large ogre bolas do 2d8 damage when used in melee attacks, and 2d4 damage when used in ranged attacks. All subsequent size increases are based from these statistics.
Maul: A maul is too large to use in one hand without special training; thus, it is an exotic weapon. A character can use a maul two-handed as a martial weapon.
Maul, Dragon: A dragon maul requires 15 Str to wield effectively. Any creature attempting to wield a dragon maul with less strength takes a -2 non-proficiency penalty to attack rolls and armor class (in addition to any penalties for not having the appropriate feat) and provokes an attack of opportunity regardless of any proficiency.
Scythe, Long: A long scythe has reach. You can strike opponents 10 feet away with it, but you can’t use it against an adjacent foe.
A long scythe can be used to make trip attacks. If you are tripped during your own trip attempt, you can drop the long scythe to avoid being tripped.
Long scythes are synonymous with scythes. Any feat that applies to scythes, also applies to long scythes.
Spear, Double: A double spear is a double weapon. You can fight with it as if fighting with two weapons, but if you do, you incur all the normal attack penalties associated with fighting with two weapons, just as if you were using a one-handed weapon and a light weapon.
A creature wielding a double spear in one hand can’t use it as a double weapon—only one end of the weapon can be used in any given round.
A double spear has reach. You can strike opponents 10 feet away with it, but you can’t use it against an adjacent foe. If you use a ready action to set a double spear against a charge, you deal double damage on a successful hit against a charging character.
A double spear which is sundered by attacking it’s wooden section becomes two elven spears. Repairing a double spear sundered thusly costs half it’s normal (or masterwork) pricing.
Spear, Elven: An elven spear is too large to use in one hand without special training; thus, it is an exotic weapon. A character can use an elven spear two-handed as a martial weapon.
An elven spear has reach. You can strike opponents 10 feet away with it, but you can’t use it against an adjacent foe. If you use a ready action to set a elven spear against a charge, you deal double damage on a successful hit against a charging character.

jlousivy
2006-12-23, 03:47 AM
dragon maul, there is no weapon that has a threat range larger than 1 that gives more than x2 crit
and all these exotic weapons are more powerful than any other weapon..
i'd say the price should be increased(seeing how each is basicly doing the damage of a 'similar' martial weapon 1 size larger) and that the weapons should be only accessable in one place, and even then difficult to get

Pegasos989
2006-12-23, 12:15 PM
Yeah, dragon maul. Assuming improved critical and comparing to falchion:
2d4, 15/x2, 1 feat; can be gotten now
2d6, 17/x3, 2 feats; could be gotten with that
The later is significantly better.

However, if I read this right, even if you are proficient with dragon maul, it provokes AoO to use it? If that is the case, I would go as far as making it 18/x3 weapon. (It can then be gotten to 15/x3 which is extremely good but if you used a feat to profiency and provoke AoO on every strike, it is far from broken)....

jlousivy
2006-12-23, 01:51 PM
Ahhh i didn't read the AoO for each strike, in that case it's fine :-)

erewhon
2006-12-23, 08:24 PM
hello, cirnech!

So, these are all exotic weapons... Whenever i tinker on weapons (and this seems to be the rule of thumb used for most/all weapos I've seen published) I usually like to compare weapons back to "martial" equivalents. An exotic weapon is usually better than a martial weapon in one or two ways, for example, it may have a larger damage die, or a better crit range, or more reach, or be usable for more manuevers, etc.

Using this rule of thumb, your "light blade" seems pretty comparable to a Long Sword out of the SRD. Damage is the same, crit range is the same, crit damage is the same, the weapon is a pound lighter and can do pierce or slash, but costs over 300 gold pieces more, AND requires an Exotic Weapon proficiency to use?

The Light Blade, unless I am missing something, seems very underpowered for what you get. Why use a Light Blade instead of a Longsword?

Another oddity is the Maul, which seems very similar to the War Maul which is a published weapon.

Maybe I just need more information, but these seem a bit underpowered, and more importantly, seem rather "erratic" in their design. A bit more consistency seemes required. :)

My two cents!

StickMan
2006-12-23, 08:33 PM
dragon maul, there is no weapon that has a threat range larger than 1 that gives more than x2 crit

This would be wrong there is a weapon in the ebberon campain setting that is a 19-20/X4. It does have ettra that changed it to 19-20/X3. It was also republised in a issuse of Dragon that whent over polerarms, at the orgianal stats that I take as being a copy past not looking at ettra error. I will look up paper number and the name of the weapon when I get home.

Triaxx
2006-12-23, 09:28 PM
Yeah, dragon maul. Assuming improved critical and comparing to falchion:
2d4, 15/x2, 1 feat; can be gotten now
2d6, 17/x3, 2 feats; could be gotten with that
The later is significantly better.

However, if I read this right, even if you are proficient with dragon maul, it provokes AoO to use it? If that is the case, I would go as far as making it 18/x3 weapon. (It can then be gotten to 15/x3 which is extremely good but if you used a feat to profiency and provoke AoO on every strike, it is far from broken)....
I have to make a counter point here, since the description isn't completely clear. The AoO is only provoked if the user is wielding with 15 strength or less.

Fualkner Asiniti
2006-12-23, 09:28 PM
Fullblade exists in Arms and Equipment Guide.

magic8BALL
2006-12-24, 01:48 AM
Double spear exists (as dwarven double spear) in the Races of Stone. I think it was just a x2 crit multiplyer though... and the 10ft reach with a double weapon is broken... as is the "split into two weapons" part... I see the logic, but I'd rule that as a pair of improvised shrotspears, not a pair of exotic weapons.

Your long scythe should still be 2d4 for med damage, not 1d8, and crit x4. The Complete Warrior also goes into Longaxes: greataxes with reach. The only thing is you need to use a power attack of -3 or greater to gain the reach.

Your maul also has an equivelent in the Warmace presented in the Complete Warrior, except that anyone who weilds such a weapon take -1 to AC due to its extreme weight. (its hard to wield such a thing and look after yourself).

Cirnech
2006-12-25, 12:03 PM
The Dragon Maul only provokes an attack of oppertunity if the wielder has less than 15 Str. That said, I built it from the Greatsword as a martial weapon.
The Light Blade is actually built with the Shortsword as its base weapon, so that it is actually a light weapon (I noticed not many light weapons are very good, so I felt the need to add an exotic light weapon).
The double spear was designed so that most users would have to abandon one weapon if it was sundered, but that some wielders could continue to fight with both spears (as a sort of surprise against those using sunder attempts).

I am surprised that no one has commented on the Ogre Bolas. They were built from nothing in particular and are the item I would like the most feed back on.
As a note, the Ogre bolas does less damage when used as a ranged weapon by 2 size catagories. I'll add that to the text after I have a decent night's sleep.

endoperez
2006-12-25, 01:14 PM
Ogre Bolas is a Spiked Chain with option to throw it. Spiked Chain: exotic, 2d4/x2 medium damage, can be finessed, it's a trip weapon, can be used at 10 feet and 5 feet range, deals pieecing damage. It costs 25 gp, and is otherwise identical or inferior to Ogre Bolas in every way. It can even be thrown with a -4 to-hit, in which case it deals the normal 2d4 damage, critical 20/x2, range increment 10 feet.

SRD says
It is possible to throw a weapon that isn’t designed to be thrown (that is, a melee weapon that doesn’t have a numeric entry in the Range Increment column on Table: Weapons), but a character who does so takes a -4 penalty on the attack roll. Throwing a light or one-handed weapon is a standard action, while throwing a two-handed weapon is a full-round action. Regardless of the type of weapon, such an attack scores a threat only on a natural roll of 20 and deals double damage on a critical hit. Such a weapon has a range increment of 10 feet.

In my opinion, you should make them a ranged weapon that can also be used in melee, not the other way round. Ranged trip, no normal trip, worse damage in melee.

ArmorArmadillo
2006-12-25, 04:28 PM
I personally disagree with your use of STR 15 as a requirement to properly use two of your weapons, as it seems like a limitation but really isn't. Anyone interested in using one of these really powerful weapons will probably have that stat anyway, so what they get is a highly powerful weapon with no drawback. Maybe if it was high Dex, or high Intelligence, or High Constitution, it provides character decisions or can be considered a downside, but as it stands it is simply the path of least resistance.