PDA

View Full Version : [Gift] When in doubt, re-gift!

Mephibosheth
2006-12-23, 07:15 PM
Re-Gifting

http://content.answers.com/main/content/wp/en-commons/thumb/9/98/300px-Julaftonen_av_Carl_Larsson_1904.jpg

It is a cozy holiday scene. The family is gathered around the tree on Christmas Eve, a fire crackling merrily in the fireplace and a combination of heat, happiness, and (in the case of the adults) alcohol making everyone’s cheeks rosy and warm. The dinner has been eaten, the party games have all been played, and it is time for the exchange of gifts, which proceeds uneventfully until…

“Thanks Great Auntie! I really need a new pair of tube socks!” exclaimed Jack, the smile plastered on his face belying his disappointment. Great Auntie Mildred always gave him tube socks. He had drawers stuffed full of tube socks, most of which were far too big to fit on his 12-year-old feet.

Jack’s parents, picking up on his disappointment, moved quickly to avert the situation, bringing another (far more exciting) present out from under the tree and plopping it into their son’s lap.

“Every year I think Jack’s going to lose it when Mildred gives him socks,” Jack’s mother complained after the family had left. “I mean, who likes tube socks? What are we going to do with another pair of adult-sized tube socks?”

"Well, you know," replied Jack's father, "there's always that grab bag at work. At least that way, no one will know who put them in."

---======---

Everyone's had one experience where they got a gift so horrible they didn't know what to do with it. Similarly, everyone dreads being the recipient of a re-gift, a present so bad that the original recipient just wanted to get rid of it.

In the D&D world, re-gifting is more sinister than this. Re-gifting can involve harming a foe with his/her own energy or forcing someone to give you a recent present. The following content shows just a few ways that the concept of re-gifting can be applied to the D&D world.

Mephibosheth
2006-12-23, 07:15 PM
RE-GIFTING MASTER

Beren and Lush were clearly outnumbered. A bit hasty in rushing into battle, the two had left their companions far behind, and there was little hope that they would be able to follow through the portal, which was closing even as Beren and Lush leapt through. Now they were surrounded by gnolls and orcs, with little hope of survival. Chase’s hands and eyes glowed as arcane energy rushed uninhibited through his body, and Lush readied his serrated blade, hoping to at least make a stand worthy of song.

As the foes closed in, a robed figure darted between the orcs and made her way to stand with Beren and Lush. “Looks like you guys could use a little help. This many foes, I figure they’ll just get in each others’ way.”

With that quip, the battle was joined. Beren and Lush marveled at the abilities of their new friend. She seemed to absorb blows, turning aside in graceful circular movements at the last moment and striking back at the orcs with ease, hitting them hard or tossing them adroitly to the ground.

“LOOK OUT!” Beren called to the woman as a burly gnoll hurled a long dagger at her head. The woman spun around, deftly snatching the dagger out of the air and, barely breaking its forward momentum, redirected the flying weapon in a wide circle, tossing it back at the gnoll with a graceful underhand throw. Beren looked to see the dagger buried deep in the gnoll’s neck, marveling at his new friend’s skills.

Hit Dice: d8
Requirements:
Base Attack Bonus: +4
Feats: Combat Expertise, Improved Trip, Improved Unarmed Strike, Deflect Arrows
Special: Must have been accepted for training by another Circle Master
Class Skills:
The Re-Gifting Master’s class skills are Balance (Dex), Climb (Str), Concentration (Con), Craft (Int), Diplomacy (Cha), Escape Artist (Dex), Hide (Dex), Jump (Str), Listen (Wis), Move Silently (Dex), Perform (Cha), Profession (Wis), Sense Motive (Wis), Spot (Wis), Swim (Str), and Tumble (Dex).
Skill Points at Each Level: 4 + Int modifier

http://i64.photobucket.com/albums/h197/Mephibosheth85/Re-GiftTable.jpg

Class Features:

Snatch Arrows – At first level, a Re-Gifting Master gains the Snatch Arrows feat. Beginning at 5th level, a Re-Gifting Master can use the Snatch Arrows feat twice per round instead of the normal limit of once per round. At 9th level, he/she can use the feat thrice per round.

Monk Abilities – Re-Gifting Master levels stack with Monk levels for determining a character’s bonus to AC. Additionally, every even level counts as a level of Monk for the purpose of determining unarmed damage, even if the character has no Monk levels before becoming a Re-Gifting Master.

Enemy’s Balance – Beginning at 2nd level, a Re-Gifting Master gains a bonus to trip attempts equal to half his/her class level. This bonus applies only when the Re-Gifting Master is trying to trip an opponent who had attacked him/her during the current or previous round. A Re-Gifting Master may apply this bonus to a number of foes equal to his/her class level. Thus, a first-level Re-Gifting Master who is attacked by two opponents only gains a bonus to trip one of these opponents.

Fling Back – At 3rd level, a Re-Gifting Master gains the ability to throw any weapon or ammunition he/she catches with his/her Snatch Arrows feat. Arrows, bolts, and shurikin deal damage as daggers when thrown in this manner.

Enemy’s Accuracy – Beginning at 4th level, a Re-Gifting Master gains a bonus to melee attack rolls equal to half his/her class level. This bonus applies only when the Re-Gifting Master is trying to attack an opponent who had attacked him/her during the current or previous round and who is currently within 30 feet of the Re-Gifting Master. A Re-Gifting Master may apply this bonus to a number of foes equal to his/her class level.

Enemy’s Power – Beginning at 6th level, a Re-Gifting Master’s ability to turn his/her opponent’s energy against him allows the Re-Gifting Master to enhance the power of his/her retaliatory strikes. When making an attack against an opponent who had attacked the Re-Gifting Master during the current of previous round, the Re-Gifting Master may apply half of his/her opponent’s strength modifier to damage rolls in addition to his/her own strength modifier. This ability applies to all physical attacks (both melee and ranged). The opponent must be within 30 feet of the Re-Gifting Master for this ability to apply. At 8th level, a Re-Gifting Master can add his/her opponent’s full strength modifier to damage rolls. A Re-Gifting Master may apply this bonus to a number of foes equal to his/her class level.

Mystic Strike – At 7th level, a Re-Gifting Master gains the ability to use even a spell-caster’s energy against him. A number of times per day equal to half his/her class level, a Re-Gifting Master who makes a successful save against a spell gains a bonus to damage if he/she attacks the spellcaster within one round. This bonus to damage is equal to 1d4 x the level of the spell (as the Arcane Strike feat). At 10th level, this bonus to damage increases to 1d6 x the level of the spell.

Mephibosheth
2006-12-23, 07:16 PM
Re-Gifting Spells

“I think I need some incentive to give you that message, if you know what I mean. I went through a lot to get it here.”

Chase sighed, exasperated. Of all the stupid situations. Now the messenger wanted money from them to deliver the message. It wasn’t as if he wouldn’t get paid by whoever sent the message.

Apparently Draic, Chase’s more persuasive compatriot felt the same way. Chase heard Draic’s sleeves rustle as his hands performed intricate gestures, and Chase heard Draic’s melodious, soothing voice.

“Why would you want to keep a crappy present like that? Why don’t you just give it to us? Get it off your hands.”

Switch Tags
Transmutation
Level: Assassin 1, Brd 1, Sor/Wiz 1
Components: S, M
Casting Time: 1 Standard Action
Range: Short (25 ft + 5 ft/2 levels)
Target: One piece of written material (see text)
Duration: Instantaneous
Saving Throw: None
Spell Resistance: No
This spell was created to aid magic-users in gathering or altering written information unobtrusively. It is used to switch the writing on two different pieces of paper, parchment, or hide.

When casting the spell, the caster writes a message (10 words + 2 additional words per caster level) on a piece of paper, parchment, or hide. In the process of casting, the words written on the page in the caster’s possession are transferred to another piece of paper, parchment, or hide of the caster’s choosing anywhere within the range of the spell. The words on this selected page (up to 10 words + 2 additional words per caster level) are then transferred to the page in the possession of the caster.

Either page can have writing on it in addition to the words transferred via this spell. If the caster’s page has other writing, the caster can select which writing is transferred. If the target page has other writing, the first words on the page (up to the word limit) are transferred.

Material Component: A piece of paper, parchment, or hide. This component is not consumed in the casting of the spell.

Re-Gift
Enchantment (Compulsion, Mind-Effecting)
Level: Brd 1, Clr 2, Sor/Wiz 2
Components: S, V
Target: 1 Creature
Duration: 1 minute/level
Saving Throw: Will Negates
When cast, this spell makes the target vehemently dislike the most recent object he/she received or purchased. On a failed Will Save, the target is compelled to give the caster or an individual of the caster’s choice this object. If the target is unable to give this item away, he/she will attempt to dispose of it in any way possible, taking no actions not intended to dispose of the item.

Greater Re-Gift
Enchantment (Compulsion, Mind-Effecting)
Level: Brd 2, Clr 3, Sor/Wiz 3
Target: 1 Creature
Duration: 1 minute/level
Saving Throw: Will Negates
This spell functions identically to Re-Gift except that the target offers up the last 5 objects he/she received or purchased, allowing the caster to pick one from the selection. Additionally, if the caster succeeds in an opposed Charisma check, he/she may select 2 of the objects offered.

Rewrap
Conjuration
Level: Brd 1, Sor/Wis 1
Range: Short (25 + 5 ft/2 levels)
Target: 1 Creature or Object of size Medium or smaller
Saving Throw: Reflex Negates
This spell creates a large box, a length of brightly-colored and patterned paper and a long piece of strong ribbon or string, that tightly wrap around one creature or object within the range of the spell. Creatures so wrapped are rendered immobile (though not helpless) until they break free (either by a DC 8 Strength check or by dealing 5 damage to the brightly-colored cocoon). Creatures bound within the box can use a light weapon, unarmed strike, or natural weapon to deal damage, automatically hitting the inside of the box. A successful Reflex Save allows a creature to leap clear of the wrapping, negating the effect of the spell.

Greater Rewrap (aka CD Packaging)
Conjuration
Level: Brd 3, Sor/Wis 3
Range: Short (25 + 5 ft/2 levels)
Target: 1 Creature or Object of size Medium or smaller
Saving Throw: Reflex Negates
This spell functions as Wrap except that it encases the target in heavy-duty plastic and strong adhesive (or whatever materials could approximate these properties). Creatures encased in the wrapping can break free with a DC 20 Strength check or by dealing 30 points of damage to the wrapping.

Bearofbadnews
2006-12-23, 09:35 PM
The Switch Tags spell is great. Plenty of opportunities for clever usage by inventive players.

The Re-Gift spell is language-dependent with a vocal component, so what does the caster say? Your fiction suggests that they comment on the "present's" inferiority? Does it work like Suggestion in that you must actually say something about the thing they have and that they should give it to you?

Mephibosheth
2006-12-23, 10:09 PM
The Re-Gift spell is language-dependent with a vocal component, so what does the caster say? Your fiction suggests that they comment on the "present's" inferiority? Does it work like Suggestion in that you must actually say something about the thing they have and that they should give it to you?

I guess my original intention was for it to work similar to Suggestion, but I hadn't really thought about it. Actually, the more I think about it, the less I like Re-Gift being language-dependant. I think I'll remove that aspect. I could see a caster using it to get items from animals, etc. The more I think about it, the more I like it. Consider it changed.

Any other comments?

Mephibosheth

Bearofbadnews
2006-12-23, 11:07 PM
The Mystic Strike ability is really cool, but do I interpret correctly that you can use it in the case of a Charm Person spell cast on you and successfully saved against, but not in retaliation for a Magic Missile spell? That may be the best way to go (only save-allowing spells), but it doesn't fit quite as perfectly as it could.

Mephibosheth
2006-12-23, 11:39 PM
I struggled for a while with the magic-related ability I wanted in the PrC, and I'm still not sure I'm happy. I was thinking of giving some kind of Defensive Roll-like ability and having the class features work off a use of that, but that ability is too powerful to give enough times/day to make it useful. Plus, it would be pretty difficult to maintain a class with d8 HD that needs to take damage in order to access its class abilities. It does make sense that a Re-Gifting Master could use the energy from Magic Missile, but I can't think of any way to make it work. I think that saves are the best compromise. Maybe I'll add the ability to use it when a caster misses a Re-Gifting Master with a touch spell at 10th level. Something of an extra boost at the final level. What do people think?

Mephibosheth