PDA

View Full Version : [3.x/PF] Need 20-lvl Base Class burglar/engineer hybrid

Lord of Shadows
2013-09-13, 01:55 AM
I am not good at designing new Classes, so I am looking for some help creating a new Base Class. What I am imagining is:

A "Burglar/Engineer" hybrid, 20-level Base Class, using 3.x or Pathfinder rules in a near-future, post apocalypse setting. Kind of a Rogue who is savvy on technical stuff.

Each level should have something. No "dead" levels. Standard Rogue abilities like Trapfinding and Trapsense are acceptable. Dropping Sneak Attack is OK if it's for something equally as good. Same with Rogue Talents, or perhaps change or add some new Talents with a futuristic twist.

The setting is near future, post-apocalypse, on an Earth-like planet with both technology and a supernatural spell casting system based on Pathfinder's "Words of Power." Casters must bind to a Spirit to be able to cast Words of Power. I am guessing that this class would stay away from Spirits, instead relying on technology and wits. Those dedicated to technology can gain control over swarms of nanobots and have powers similar to Words of Power.

Magic is uncommon, and there are no "magic items" per se, except those related to the spell system.

Assuming that Relics are Supernatural and Artifacts are Technological, there aren't really any Relics, but there are Artifacts.

I am guessing that, along with some Rogue abilities, Class Abilities would include such things as Fabrication and/or Repair of devices, perhaps starting at small size and/or simple and getting better with levels... Making things that run, run better... deciphering Old World tech in a sort of reverse-engineering... these are just ideas, let your imagination be your guide.

If you have any questions, just ask. The campaign setting is still under development. Think "Mad Max in Death Valley surrounded by Waterworld", but on another world.

Thanks in advance!

Stormageddon
2013-09-13, 04:47 PM
Homebrew might not be needed. Try some 3rd party stuff like this (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/3rd-party-classes/louis-porter-jr-design/machinesmith).

Lord of Shadows
2013-09-13, 05:13 PM
Homebrew might not be needed. Try some 3rd party stuff like this (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/3rd-party-classes/louis-porter-jr-design/machinesmith).

Thanks for the info. Machinesmith is close, but still comes down too far on the side of Engineering. Disable Device and Trapfinding seem to be the only overtly Rogue-like abilities. The Archetypes Combat Engineer and Technologist have some interesting changes, but still not much Rogue-like.

Lord of Shadows
2013-09-14, 08:38 AM
Are anyone's creative juices flowing? Answering the call? Have a crack at it? Take a shot?

. :smallbiggrin:

Xaotiq1
2013-09-14, 03:42 PM
The author says it isn't complete, but http://www.minmaxboards.com/index.php?topic=2922.0

Lord of Shadows
2013-09-14, 04:26 PM
The author says it isn't complete, but http://www.minmaxboards.com/index.php?topic=2922.0

Thanks! That looks A LOT like what I have in mind...

I don't know anything about that board, are there any restrictions on usage?

Xaotiq1
2013-09-14, 05:43 PM
Not to my knowledge, but you can always PM the author. They have an account on this site.

Just to Browse
2013-09-15, 02:46 AM
Everything on that forum should be CC-BY-SA. You must credit them in any publications, but you can pretty that up and sell it and I'm pretty sure it's legal.

Amechra
2013-09-15, 04:55 AM
Though pretty dishonest...

But yeah, that entire forum is free to use if you want; PM the author to tell 'em your going to use it though. We like hearing that kind of stuff.

Just to Browse
2013-09-15, 05:44 AM
I know right? WotC forums is/was even worse. If you post homebrew there, they actually own it, so publishing homebrew that you posted on the WotC forums is illegal and they can sue you. It's actually the reason Ziegander removed his homebrew from there.

Amechra
2013-09-15, 06:37 AM
It's "free to use" in the sense that the overwhelming philosophy over there is that you put up homebrew specifically because you want to have it looked over and used.

Plus, I could technically publish anything on these homebrew boards as my own, and have it be perfectly legal; game rules can't be copyright (what WotC did is they wrote into the terms and conditions that they owned whatever was on their site; joining up meant that you signed a legal document signing away the rights to your own homebrew. I don't believe any forum with a major D&D-playing population has that particular requirement, so...)

Ah, I think we are either misunderstanding what the OP posted, or each-other.

If I get it right, you think that he's going to be publishing a book with his campaign setting, while I was under the assumption he'd just be DMing.

In the prior case, the Creative Commons license means that you have to release any derivative work under the same license.

If you are planning on just using it in a home game, be aware that over half of the class-specific Bright Ideas aren't actually done.

Just to Browse
2013-09-15, 02:48 PM
What I'm saying is that he doesn't need to ask permission to use it, because there are no legal ramifications (even if he were to be caught) for picking up the class and using it. The post meant to sound something like "And even if you sold it, you'd still be in the clear, so if you don't want to ask permission or whatever that's not a problem."

I certainly wasn't addressing the moral aspect.

Amechra
2013-09-15, 04:28 PM
Ah, on the same wavelength then. Good.

Lord of Shadows
2013-09-15, 07:21 PM
Thanks for all the responses and discussion.

This project is most likely going to end up being a for-sale product, so I would assume that some sort of arrangement with an author would be needed. I wouldn't feel right selling someone else's work unless they were compensated. Unless they are clearly giving it away to be used as desired.

Amechra
2013-09-15, 07:34 PM
Ask and give credit. It's only polite!

Just to Browse
2013-09-15, 08:03 PM
Good on you!