PDA

View Full Version : Feats! Get your feats here! (PEACH)

anacalgion
2013-09-18, 09:14 PM
Hello Playground! I'm going to embarking on an E6 campaign, as a fighter no less, in the near future, and as a result I've been thinking a lot about feats. As a result, I've done my best to rewrite, tweak, and just plain make up feats to help make combat more dynamic just generally make things more interesting. A word of warning, I'm not entirely sure what my balance point is for these feats, but I was hoping i could get some opinions on them. (Disclaimer. If I saw your feat while wandering the Playground, forgot about it, and then deluded myself into thinking I came up with it, feel free to let me know and I'll give you credit.)

Without further ado...

Dodge (Combat)
Prerequisites: Dexterity 13
Benefits: As a move action, you may grant yourself a bonus to AC and Reflex saves equal to your Dexterity bonus. This bonus lasts one round, or until you make a successful Reflex save or are the target of an unsuccessful attack. If you make a successful Reflex save or are the target of an unsuccessful attack before the beginning of your next turn after activating this feat, you may move up to half your speed as an immediate action.
Special: Monks gain dodge as a bonus feat at first level, and may add their Wisdom modifier in place of their Dexterity modifier when using this feat.

Improved Dodge (Combat)
Prerequisites: Dodge, Dexterity 17
Benefits: You may use the Dodge feat as a free action instead of as a move action. You may not activate it more than once per round.

Two Weapon Fighting (Combat)
Prerequisites: Strength 13, Dexterity 15
Benefits: Whenever you make an attack with your main hand weapon, you may make an additional attack with an offhand weapon. If your offhand weapon is a light weapon you take a -2 penalty to all attacks in a round in which you attack with both weapons, and if it is a one handed weapon you take a -4 penalty to all attacks in a round in which you attack with both weapons. This penalty is not cumulative.

Toughness
Prerequisites: Constitution 13
Benefits: You gain a pool of temporary hit points equal to twice your Constitution modifier + your total hit dice. This pool refills after a minute of rest or light activity (walking, talking, etc).

Weapon Focus (Combat)
Prerequisites: Proficiency with the selected weapon.
Benefits: Choose one weapon. You gain a bonus on attack rolls with the selected weapon equal to 1/4 of your BAB, minimum +1.
Special: Characters with at least one level in the Fighter base class who select this feat gain an additional +1 to attack rolls with their selected weapon.

Weapon Specialization (Combat)
Prerequisites: Weapon Focus, BAB +4 or higher
Benefits: You gain a bonus on damage rolls with your selected weapon equal to 1/2 your BAB, minimum +1.
Special: Characters with at least one level in the Fighter base class who select this feat gain an additional +2 to damage rolls with their selected weapon.

Weapon Mastery (Combat)
Prerequisites: Weapon Specialization, BAB +6 or higher
Benefits: When wielding your selected weapon you may make a full attack as a standard action, as well as make a full attack at the end of a charge.

Pummel (Combat)
Prerequisites: Power Attack, Weapon Focus (any bludgeoning weapon)
Benefits: While wielding your selected weapon, if you make an attack that does not exceed your target's AC, but does exceed their touch AC, you may still deal damage equal to your Strength modifier.

Cleave (Combat)
Prerequisites: Power Attack, Weapon Focus (any slashing weapon)
Benefits: While wielding your selected weapon, if you make a successful attack against a target, you may deal damage equal to your Strength modifier to any number of targets within your reach that are adjacent to your primary target.

Puncture (Combat)
Prerequisites: Power Attack or Weapon Finesse, Weapon Focus (any piercing weapon)
Benefits: While wielding your selected weapon, if you attack a foe with damage reduction (except for DR/epic), you may ignore points of damage reduction equal to either your Strength or Dexterity modifier, whichever you use for attack rolls.

That's enough feats for now I suppose. If people like them I can throw up some more, otherwise I'll stick to balancing these ones.

The Mentalist
2013-09-18, 11:59 PM
Hello Playground! I'm going to embarking on an E6 campaign, as a fighter no less, in the near future, and as a result I've been thinking a lot about feats. As a result, I've done my best to rewrite, tweak, and just plain make up feats to help make combat more dynamic just generally make things more interesting. A word of warning, I'm not entirely sure what my balance point is for these feats, but I was hoping i could get some opinions on them. (Disclaimer. If I saw your feat while wandering the Playground, forgot about it, and then deluded myself into thinking I came up with it, feel free to let me know and I'll give you credit.)

Without further ado...

Dodge (Combat)
Prerequisites: Dexterity 13
Benefits: As a move action, you may grant yourself a bonus to AC and Reflex saves equal to your Dexterity bonus. This bonus lasts one round, or until you make a successful Reflex save or are the target of an unsuccessful attack. If you make a successful Reflex save or are the target of an unsuccessful attack before the beginning of your next turn after activating this feat, you may move up to half your speed as an immediate action.
Special: Monks gain dodge as a bonus feat at first level, and may add their Wisdom modifier in place of their Dexterity modifier when using this feat.

Cool option, is this kind of from the "Feats that don't exist and should" thing from earlier?

Improved Dodge (Combat)
Prerequisites: Dodge, Dexterity 17
Benefits: You may use the Dodge feat as a free action instead of as a move action.

This becomes kind of dangerous. Remember you get unlimited free actions a round, that means you can have this up and double your Dex to AC and Reflex. Thankfully the movement takes a unique action so infinite movement is avoided.

Two Weapon Fighting (Combat)
Prerequisites: Strength 13, Dexterity 15
Benefits: Whenever you make an attack with your main hand weapon, you may make an additional attack with an offhand weapon. If your offhand weapon is a light weapon you take a -2 penalty to all attacks in a round in which you attack with both weapons, and if it is a one handed weapon you take a -4 penalty to all attacks in a round in which you attack with both weapons. This penalty is not cumulative.

So Two Weapon Fighting grows extra attacks as your character does. Good option.

Toughness
Prerequisites: Constitution 13
Benefits: You gain a pool of temporary hit points equal to twice your Constitution modifier + your total hit dice. This pool refills after a minute of rest or light activity (walking, talking, etc).

Can this be taken multiple times and do its effects stack? I can see this as a way to be able to infinitely take on CR 1 creatures and would require it for all my city guards.

Weapon Focus (Combat)
Prerequisites: Proficiency with the selected weapon.
Benefits: Choose one weapon. You gain a bonus on attack rolls with the selected weapon equal to 1/4 of your total hit dice, minimum +1.
Special: Characters with at least one level in the Fighter base class who select this feat gain an additional +1 to attack rolls with their selected weapon.

I would make this 1/4 of your BaB just to give melee some nice things.

Weapon Specialization (Combat)
Prerequisites: Weapon Focus, BAB +4 or higher
Benefits: You gain a bonus on damage rolls with your selected weapon equal to 1/2 your total hit dice, minimum +1.
Special: Characters with at least one level in the Fighter base class who select this feat gain an additional +2 to damage rolls with their selected weapon.

Same as previous

Weapon Mastery (Combat)
Prerequisites: Weapon Specialization, BAB +6 or higher
Benefits: When wielding your selected weapon you may make a full attack as a standard action, as well as make a full attack at the end of a charge.

Definitely not the most broken thing you can do with a standard action, though it kind of makes some of the standard action maneuvers in the ToB obsolete as you can do more damage with a full-attack than with them if mildly optimized. (Not that this is a bad thing)

Pummel (Combat)
Prerequisites: Power Attack, Weapon Focus (any bludgeoning weapon)
Benefits: While wielding your selected weapon, if you make an attack that does not exceed your target's AC, but does exceed their touch AC, you may still deal damage equal to your Strength modifier.

I like this! I would even make it strength and a half and do the power attack damage as well.

Cleave (Combat)
Prerequisites: Power Attack, Weapon Focus (any slashing weapon)
Benefits: While wielding your selected weapon, if you make a successful attack against a target, you may deal damage equal to your Strength modifier to any number of targets within your reach that are adjacent to your primary target.

I think adjacent to a previous target would be cooler just for the effect of a Whirlwind Attack.

Puncture (Combat)
Prerequisites: Power Attack or Weapon Finesse, Weapon Focus (any piercing weapon)
Benefits: While wielding your selected weapon, if you attack a foe with damage reduction (except for DR/epic), you may ignore points of damage reduction equal to either your Strength or Dexterity modifier, whichever you use for attack rolls.

Why DR/Epic and not DR/-? but otherwise cool effect.

That's enough feats for now I suppose. If people like them I can throw up some more, otherwise I'll stick to balancing these ones.

Do you just want feats for E6 or in general?

anacalgion
2013-09-19, 12:30 AM
Do you just want feats for E6 or in general?

E6 just got me thinking about feats. I'm just working on making them a bit more valuable. To answer your questions, I left out a few things unfortunately, so I'm going to have to go fix them (mostly that bit on improved dodge about only using it once per round) and no, toughness can't be taken multiple times as is. As for the dodge idea, that one is actually mine,I think someone else in the other thread just had a similar thought process.

nonsi
2013-09-19, 03:50 AM
All seem solid.
I particularly like the Pummel-Cleave-Puncture combo, because it makes a far better separation between the different damage types and makes the original Cleave seem lazy (never could understand how piercing weapons are supposed to allow cleaving).

anacalgion
2013-09-19, 08:53 AM
All seem solid.
I particularly like the Pummel-Cleave-Puncture combo, because it makes a far better separation between the different damage types and makes the original Cleave seem lazy (never could understand how piercing weapons are supposed to allow cleaving).

Thanks! The original feat felt less like cleave and more like whack-a-mole, which had always bothered me.