2006-12-26, 07:24 AM
Am I the only one to think:

LOLZ!!!1!

Khantalas
2006-12-26, 07:39 AM
Flower Power FTW!

Emperor Demonking
2006-12-26, 07:42 AM
Flower power and flaking, is good. I just want to know what else they can do.

danielf
2006-12-26, 08:08 AM
hehehe very good one, hippiemancers :)

Silencer
2006-12-26, 08:28 AM
"Pereception"? Get a spellchecker...

www.openoffice.org

JosephSmidgens
2006-12-26, 10:21 AM
Hippiemancers... classic!

Mick_the_Rogue
2006-12-26, 11:05 AM
Heh, this has endeared the comic to me, bravo

I like how he's hungry too

pclips
2006-12-26, 01:18 PM
"Pereception"? Get a spellchecker...

www.openoffice.org (http://www.openoffice.org)

My bad, as letterer. Fix going up. It wasn't so much a spelling error as a typo, but dealing with these speech balloons as vector objects in a drawing program, there's less opportunity to spell check. What I did not do, though, was get my usual proofer to look. :smallredface:

War
2006-12-26, 05:30 PM
But wouldn't a hippiemancer be someone who uses magic to manipulate hippies, rather than a hippie who uses magic?

Then again, technically it should really be someone who uses hippies in divination, and lord knows no RPG uses the suffix that way. Especially not with the pretense of being a cheap translation. Nobody cares about semantics anymore!

El Jaspero, the Pirate King
2006-12-27, 06:01 PM
Loved the Mighty Wind reference, well done!

mikeejimbo
2006-12-27, 06:08 PM
Hippiemancers are something I wasn't expecting.

I wonder where Puff the Magic Dwagon is, if this is the Magic Kingdom and all?

Allandaros
2006-12-27, 08:19 PM
Hippiemancers are something I wasn't expecting.

I wonder where Puff the Magic Dwagon is, if this is the Magic Kingdom and all?

By the sea. Clearly.

Azukar
2006-12-27, 09:28 PM
There's so many kinds of -mancers introduced already... Maybe it's just because I don't understand the references (D&D? other RPG?), but hippiemancers don't seem very funny to me. Have we figured out yet if/what this comic is drawing on for parody and references?

PaladinFreak
2006-12-27, 10:04 PM
I get the feeling that all magic is defined by its -mancy.

^, I haven't yet, but it seems to be kind of D&D, and kand of just the fantasy genre in general

Aliquid
2006-12-27, 11:20 PM
There's so many kinds of -mancers introduced already... Maybe it's just because I don't understand the references (D&D? other RPG?), but hippiemancers don't seem very funny to me. Have we figured out yet if/what this comic is drawing on for parody and references?People have been using "mancy" for magic types looong before D&D, or role playing games (thousands of years). If you take a look in the dictionary, there are at least 50 words ending in "mancy", most of which are magic related.

Originally, it was specifically used for divination. i.e. reading the future. You probably have heard of "palm readers" who look at your palm to read the future. That is "Chiromancy". Or people who read the future by looking at tea leaves. That's "Tasseomancy". There are many many more. Hydromancy = looking into water to read the future. Pyromancy - fire... etc.

In modern fantasy games like D&D, the meaning has changed to any type of magic (not just divination). Therefore in modern fantasy terms, "Necromancy" is any type of magic that deals with death.

The beginning of all these words are latin in origin. "Hydro" is from the latin word for water, "Pyro" is from the latin word for fire, "necro" is from the latin word for death.

Machete
2006-12-27, 11:39 PM
Hippiemancers can probably cast all sorts of debuffs and minor support spells.

I feel slow all of a sudden, and strangely hungry.

Azukar
2006-12-28, 04:40 AM
Thanks for the tought, Aliquid :)
As it happens I know Latin and I understand where "-mancer" comes from, but I didn't know what the inspiration for hippiemancers was. Now I've actually read a bit more, I know people seem to think they're druids.

And there still isn't a particular game Erfworld is drawing from, as far as I know. It's not D&D like OotS, it's not any specific computer RPG...

Ah well, what do I care. I like it.

Hario
2006-12-28, 11:02 AM
What I've noticed is this world has many video game/rpg references like in the first frame of the comic with the elvis' was clearly a reference to the legend of zelda: Majora's mask where the giants were living in the town and such. Lower in the comic made a reference to pikmin with the swarms of what looked like goblins. In number 11 there is a reference to the Star world found in Super mario bros world. This reference can also be construde as a reference to the twelve kingdoms which is a book which has been incorperated into an anime in the past few years. Its more than likely the magic is just something jami finds in an rpg/video game/anime and likes it, though I'd like more obscure LoZ references.

Aliquid
2006-12-28, 12:32 PM
And there still isn't a particular game Erfworld is drawing from, as far as I know. It's not D&D like OotS, it's not any specific computer RPG...Actually, I believe they specifically said at one point that it is a home-brew game in a home-brew world. So there is no specific system they are making fun of. They do make fun of various types of systems though (i.e. turn based etc)

Azukar
2006-12-29, 12:26 AM
Ah, yep. That'd do it Aliquid :)

CabbageTheif
2006-12-29, 01:28 PM
hippimancers are either druids or divinitators, although divinitators are probably the findamancers.

TREMBLE BEFORE my HIPPIMANCER MIGHT, you CROAKAMANCER FIEND!!!! .... are those cheetos?

Haarculaneaum
2006-12-29, 05:22 PM
duuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuude,
hippimancers are. . .

oh man

yeah.

Moechi_Vill
2006-12-31, 08:18 AM
I didn't like them. They certainly don't deserve their own zone.

ChaotikLawfull
2006-12-31, 02:48 PM
You'd rather they hung around the other 'mancy areas smoking pot and getting in the way of their fellow mages, Moechi?

The_Werebear
2007-01-02, 12:56 AM
And there still isn't a particular game Erfworld is drawing from, as far as I know. It's not D&D like OotS, it's not any specific computer RPG...

Ah well, what do I care. I like it.

There are a variety of references to random chatroom phrases, along with a healthy dose of Real Time Strategy.

Conclusion: He is drawing from so many sources I don't think it is possible to name them all.

Dhavaer
2007-01-03, 05:37 AM
There are a variety of references to random chatroom phrases, along with a healthy dose of Real Time Strategy.

Conclusion: He is drawing from so many sources I don't think it is possible to name them all.

More Turn-Based Strategy, with the reference to creatures having 'move' and ending turns.

Mewtroid
2007-01-03, 03:08 PM
Um. 'Flaking'? I feel like a moron for not knowing this one, but what's the reference here?

TheAnimal
2007-01-03, 03:34 PM
Um. 'Flaking'? I feel like a moron for not knowing this one, but what's the reference here?
http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Flake&page=3
?

MinusInnocence
2007-01-04, 12:10 PM
My suspicion is that hippiemancers, like their real world counterparts, at best abstain from war and at worst are actually a liability to have around.

Although it would be pretty funny to see them try to act as human shields for a dwagon or cloth golem and be smooshed.

Anyway, I don't think they can do much of anything that would be useful to the people in this comic, but seeing them flounder might be comical.

chionophile
2007-01-04, 07:51 PM
They quiet battles and get people to calm down. I believe Wanda mentions as much on page 13. I'm sure there are other, similar spells they can cast. Illusion would be right down their alley, for example.