PDA

View Full Version : Gears of Magic [Base Class]

pyrefiend
2006-12-26, 12:25 PM
Hello, this is my first homebrewed base class I've put on the forum. It started from the idea of creating a class that could make their own magic devices easily. Also I wanted them to aid the adventuring party without making a Preform check. So, here is is...

Techworker
Techworkers are an oddity to other classes. They are known as casters of some sort, but their abilities are so unlike those of wizards and clerics that sometimes their abilities seem like perfect craftsmanship rather than magic. In truth, their abilities are a combination of the two. They are no ordinary craftsmen, they create wonders that the ordinary engineer could only dream of. They are bizarre, not quite finding any concrete role in battle. Yet the wise leader knows the power of a prepared techworker.
Adventurers: Techworkers adventure to find new uses for their inventions and discover new ways to build things. They often quest to find rare and valuable materials which they can utilize and create unknown wonders with. Good techworkers ore often aids to a struggling economy, creating slightly magical buildings and tools, thus stimulating the economy. Evil techworkers are often great builders of armies, constructing fierce automatons and vast empires. All techworkers know that their unique brand of inventions will not flourish best in the workshop, but in the field of battle.
Alignment: Because of the vast reasons for becoming a techworker, any alignment is as possible as the next for the techworker.
Religion: Techworkers are not the most reverent of peoples, but they know to offer their gratitude to Reorx, the great builder. Some techworkers follow other deities, but they are few and far between.
Background: The techworker was usually a tinkerer at a young age. As his talent grew, so also did his aptitude for the arcane arts. Although rarely recognized at first, the arcane part of his components grows until it cannot be denied. Once is talent is discovered, he is usually sent to a master craftsmen or arcane college at his discretion. Either way the techworker follows both paths- the industrial and arcane.
Races: Elves, with their distaste for large structures, rarely become techworkers, seeing them as an unnecessary waste of arcane talent. Gnomes, the great lovers of complexity and engineering, are by far the most common techworkers, although human and dwarf techworkers are not all that rare.
Other Classes: Techworkers get along extraordinarily well with most other members of an adventuring party. He is happy to lend his empowered weapons to those who know how to use them, such as the fighter or cleric. He enjoys learning from the complex art of the rouge and wizard, both characters he borrows skills from. He is only slightly at odds with the druid, if at all, because techworkers rarely appreciate the power of the natural world.
Role: The techworker finds his use in preparation. He can make any dungeon crawl easier with his powerful tools, like powerful weapons and robotic comrades. He can’t hold his own in a fight, but he rarely has to.
Game Rule Information:
Techworkers have the following game statistics.
Abilities: Intelligence is vital to the competent techworker because it governs how advanced his inventions are. A high charisma is an added bonus because it makes making inventions and robots a lot easier.
Dexterity has some role in how inventions are made, and constitution is important due to low hit dice.
Hit Dice: d4
http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a207/leo_star2222/TechworkerImage4-1.jpg
http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a207/leo_star2222/TechworkerImage1.jpg

Class Skills:
The techworkers class skills (and the key ability for each skill) are
Appraise(int), Craft(int), Decipher Script(int), Disable Device(int), Gather Information(cha), Knowledge: architecture and engineering (int), Knowledge: dungeoneering (int), Knowledge: history (int), Open Lock (dex),
Disable Device (dex), Use Rope (dex)
Skill Points at First Level: (6 + int modifier) X 4
Skill Points at each Individual Level: 6+ int modifier

Class Features:
Weapon and Armor Proficiency: The techworker is proficient with all simple and martial weapons as well as light armor.

Inventions: The techworkers foremost skill is his ability to create helpful weapons and machines. He does this through a combination of magic and craftsmanship. Because of the arcane nature of his machines, the techworker uses up spell slots like an arcane caster to make progressively more powerful gadgets. Apart from arcane magic needed, the techworker requires supplies: alchemical items, fuel of some sort, and almost always a base substance, like wood or iron. Since such materials are rarely on hand, the techworker uses spells to conjure up all required materials. Conjuration requires spell slots too, so a techworker has to spend spell slots to conjure his materials, and to assemble them. Assembly also requires an appropriate craft check. When Conjuration and assembly are used in conjunction, all spell slots are spent, but the process takes only the time that the assembly spell takes. The conjuration time is not counted, as it is done simultaneously. Each morning the techworker needs to review his notebook, prepparing inventions to use that day. He conjures materials spontainusly, though they still take up spell slots.
Robotics: Many of the inventions of the techworker are constructs. These robots are formed just like regular gadgets. However, used in conjunction with a gadget, the gadget can be fused to the construct, letting it be applied as a natural weapon. An indefinite amount of gadgets can be linked to a construct, but linking excessively uses many spell slots. Inventing is not hindered by armor as long as the armor has a maximum dex bonus of +3 or more.
Arcane Edge: The craft of the techworker is not all skill. A considerable amount of magic (more than most techworkers would like people to know) aids the techworker in his craft. He applies double his charisma modifier to the craft checks he must fulfill to build inventions.
Biographing: Biographing is what separates a powerful techworker from others in his race. As the techworker gains in power, he fuses begins to fuse his inventions with organic material, specifically, his own. The techworker takes one of his favorite inventions and makes it part of his body. Doing so requires a spell to make his invention, but it is made more difficult in order to harmlessly replace a body part with it, or insert it in an already existing space. There is a caster check that has to be made to correctly perform the biographing. The DC is:
4 + creation level + (5=minor, 7=formidable, 15=major) The DC also can be increased in the following ways: If the machine part looks organic until used, the DC is +2. If the machine part is retractable, the DC is +4. These two effect modifiers do not stack. Biographing comes in three types, minor, formidable, and major. Minor biographing uses fine-tiny gadgets. Formidable uses small-medium gadgets, and major uses large or larger gadgets. Biographing requires the gadget to replace a limb or whatever the same size or one size smaller. This rule is only broken when the gadget mostly occupies space outside the body, like mechanical wings or something.
You can replace any body part except the head. That would turn you into a construct, unless I suppose you moved the brain, but you know what? I’m not going to talk about that. Just don’t replace the head, O.K? The techworker can make minor modifications at level 3, formidable at level 9, and major at level 15.
Reforming Touch: Beginning at 6th level, a techworker can heal non-organic damage by touch. Each day he can heal a total number of hit points of damage equal to his techworker level × his Charisma bonus. A techworker may choose to divide his healing among multiple recipients, and she doesn’t have to use it all at once. Using reforming touch is a standard action. This is much like lay on hands, the paladin ability, but is the equivalent to repair spells instead of cure spells.
Awakening Touch: At level 12, any construct the techworker forms is sentient, as if by the awaken construct spell. The intelligence score of the construct is = the techworker’s intelligence – 1. The alignment of the construct is the same as that of the techworker, except it is lawful no matter what. It is of the same alignment on the good to evil axis, and is always helpful toward the techworker that created it. The construct is immune to charm and compulsion effects. The charisma of the construct is that of the base creature if the construct is an effigy. If not the charisma is 14.
Inspiring Touch: At level 18, any construct the techworker forms is utterly complete in body, mind, and soul. It’s wonderful sentiency is all due to the techworker, and so it follows him dedicatedly. It receives a +1 bonus to attack and damage rolls, which increases to +2 when within 10ft. of the techworker, and another +2 when attacking creatures of opposing alignment. These bonuses stack. In addition, if the construct is an effigy, and the creature it imitates has one or more spell-like abilities, than the construct can use one of these abilities a number of times that the base creature could per day.
Mediums: At level 4, the techworker chooses a medium, a special substance which he can handle better than most. He selects one of his conjuration spells, such as eschew wood, or eschew electricity. He now casts that conjuration at +2 caster level (if he so chooses). This effect carries over into the invention he creates. For example Isooc, the 5th level techworker, chose acid as his foremost medium. He conjures up his acid, which deals 7d6 damage because it is cast at +2 caster level. He uses his acid in a black dragon’s maw invention, which deals 7d6 as well, because of the empowered nature of the acid. At levels 10 and 16 the techworker selects a new medium, or increases the power of his foremost or secondary medium by +2.
Companion Construct: At level two, the techworker creates an assistant of sorts. He does not need to construct the companion construct, it is simply born of the tech worker’s essence when he reaches level 2. The companion is much like the familiar of the wizard in many ways, but it develops differently, as shown on the chart:
http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a207/leo_star2222/TechworkerImage3.jpg
Notice Also the randomized way that the companion's stats are first created as well as it's movement and attack forms. These stats stay the same as the wizard’s familiar:
Hit Dice: For the purpose of effects related to number of Hit Dice, use the master’s character level.
Hit Points: The companion has one-half the master’s total hit points (not including temporary hit points), rounded down, regardless of its actual Hit Dice.
Base Attack Bonus: Use the master’s base attack bonus, as calculated from all his classes. Use the companion’s Dexterity or Strength modifier, whichever is greater, to get the companion’s melee attack bonus with natural weapons.
Saving Throws: For each saving throw, use either the familiar’s base save bonus (Fortitude +2, Reflex +2, Will +0) or the master’s (as calculated from all his classes), whichever is better. The familiar uses its own ability modifiers to saves, and it doesn’t share any of the other bonuses that the master might have on saves.
Skills: For each skill use the master’s skill ranks. The companion uses its own ability modifiers. Regardless of a companion’s total skill modifiers, some skills may remain beyond the companion’s ability to use.
The companion’s wisdom is 14.

Lord of Machines: At level 20, the entire world’s machines recognize the techworker’s power. As a full round action, the techworker can change the way a machine operates, or move up to 500 pounds of mechanical material. Intelligent machines can attempt a will save against the techworker’s con attempt in order to stop his influence. In addition, the techworker can move up to 50 pounds of any of his mediums as with the mage hand spell (‘cept better). If he chose one medium more than once, he receives an extra 50 pounds of controllable influence per extra medium spent on the same material.

WOW that's a lot more typing than I thought I'd done... please forgive me for the charts, especially the second one. I couldn't remove the unwanted extra cells.

jlousivy
2006-12-27, 10:32 PM
Bio graphing.... after reading it a few times i have an idea of what its saying, but... what can u do with it? also, if you (eventually) make all your body (cept head) mechanical do you need repair spells or cure spells? can your repair touch work on yourself?

The 'familiar' should be based only on Techworker levels

And what spells do they get? Are they affected by arcane spell failure%?

The BAB seems a little high for a person who doesnt usually go into combat, and i dont know if he should have full martial proficiencys..

I love the idea though <3

pyrefiend
2006-12-29, 04:00 PM
Bio graphing.... after reading it a few times i have an idea of what its saying, but... what can u do with it? also, if you (eventually) make all your body (cept head) mechanical do you need repair spells or cure spells? can your repair touch work on yourself?
Well the idea behind biographing was that it could grant the techworker a few spell-like abilities. I would say that ordinarily cure spells are used, because the techworker is never all machine, there's no invention to replace the major organs for example. Repair spells would only be in order if the machine part of the techworker was targeted directly and thus damaged.

And what spells do they get? Are they affected by arcane spell failure%?
I added something in about spell failure. The only spells the techworker gets are those that summon mechanical or alchemical parts and those that assemble machines.

The BAB seems a little high for a person who doesnt usually go into combat, and i dont know if he should have full martial proficiencys..I thought so too, but a lot of the techworker's inventions are held weapons like swords, so they needed some battle proficiency in order to wield them.

jlousivy
2006-12-29, 06:21 PM
in order to look at this class any further we'd need to see the inventions/levels and such

MeklorIlavator
2006-12-29, 09:39 PM
I thought so too, but a lot of the techworker's inventions are held weapons like swords, so they needed some battle proficiency in order to wield them.

Really? Most inventions are swords?
I would have gone the completely opposite direction, giving them golems, consrtucts, and other independent weapons, or area of effect things(think flamethrower).

Roderick_BR
2006-12-29, 11:41 PM
Looks interesting. I saw a scientist class for another system once, that had the same idea. They would make gadgets that worked like limited versions of others spells. Any idea when you'll get a "creation list"?

pyrefiend
2006-12-30, 11:05 AM
OK, thanks for the critique everyone, now I'm going to start making some spells/inventions. The ones below aren't nearly all the inventions I plan on making, but I'll put them here to show the rough idea behind the creations.

Conjure Lesser Acid
Conjuration
Level: Techworker 0
Components: V
Casting Time: One standard action
Range:5ft.
Effect: 1/2 cup of acid
Duration: 1 minute/level
Saving Throw: see text
Spell Resistance: No

You conjure forth a small amount of weak acid. This spell is usually used to call forth acid inside a vial, although it does not have to. If inside a vial, it can be thrown as a splash weapon with a range increment of 20ft. Those struck by the vial take 1d4 acid damage and those adjacent to the struck creature recieve 1 point of splash damage.

Conjure Iron I
Conjuration
Effect: 1 tiny cupe of iron
Saving Throw: N/A

This spell creates a featureless block of iron. It has hardness 15 and 30 hit points. It is most useful as a base substance for inventions of all kinds.

Skull Dragon's Maw
Transmutation
Level: Techworker 1
Components: V, M
Range: 5 ft
Effect/Range: See Text
Duration: Material Components
Saving Throw: Reflex Half
DC: 9 (metalwork)

This invention is an aproximately 5 ft. long, black iron staff with an iron black dragons' head at the top. It can be wielded as a +1 quarterstaff, but also has magical properties. With a jab foward, the maw releases a very small sphere of acid at high speed. This special attack requires a ranged touch attack, but does not provoke an attack of opportunity. The sphere deals 1d4 acid damage to the target (reflex half) and 1 splash damage to each adjacent creture. If any creature threatened by splash damge makes a reflex save, they take no damage. This effect has a range of 60 ft and can be activated three times. The wielder of the staff can also release all it's fuel at once in a great orb of acid which functions as the Lesser Orb of Acid spell, except it deals 5 atomatic points of extra damage. This option requires the staff to be completly full (no charges used). The staff has hardness 8 and 5 hit points. If sundered, it releases all the acid it held apon the weilder of the staff and the sunderer, provided he is adjacent. The acid damage taken is equal to 1d4 times the number of normal shots left. If the staff has been augmented with more powerful acid than the damage is equal to the base damage of a normal shot times the number of shots left. Once the staff has exhausted all acid it can be refilled by means of a conjure acid spell.

Material Components: 1 tiny block of iron and 1 flask of acid lesser ar stronger.
Augment: Acid stronger than lesser deals more damge as noted in it's entry.
strong acid or any more powerful changes the lesser orb of acid int an orb of acid.

__________________________________________________ ______________

These are a few things just to present the idea, I'll make more and post them.

Really? Most inventions are swords?
I would have gone the completely opposite direction, giving them golems, consrtucts, and other independent weapons, or area of effect things(think flamethrower).Not most inventions are swords. Belive me, we share the same thoughts when it comes to invention ideas. When the techworker makes melee weapons, they'll have very bizare magical effects, some that you couldn't get any other way, I should think.

fangthane
2006-12-30, 01:41 PM
Hmm, now that I see the sort of thing you were contemplating... looks like it could be interesting, but a complete bear to balance properly. I do have some questions though...

1. Typically, conjuration/creation spells specify that the materials produced may not be used for spell components, etc. With that in mind, do you have plans to limit your conjuration spells to be used with inventions only?
2. At level 1, this character is hamstrung. He can cast some acid, which evaporates in a round, then some iron which does likewise, then he can build the staff (assuming he succeeds at a craft check - at what DC, is that the 9 you have listed?). However, since it lasts one round it evaporates before he can make effective use of it. He can talk to an alchemist for supplies but that's a much more expensive casting option for a level 1 character (See also 3f). My thoughts on the staff follow, but my recommendation is to allow the cantrips to conjure their ingredients for 1 minute per level, rather than one round.
3a. The staff doesn't make clear just what rolls are required. Is the "jab" of the staff an attack roll of some kind? (i.e. ranged touch/melee touch) or is it a casting action? Does it trigger attacks of opportunity?
3b. Do secondary (area effect) targets of the attack receive a saving throw to half (or negate) the splash damage?
3c. Can the wielder release two blobbies and then trigger the "full payload" option, or is that only available when the staff's fully charged? Or does the orb's damage degrade as charges are removed?
3d. Assuming the iron outlasts the acid's 3 charges (or full splash option) can the staff be refilled using either conventional or summoned acid?
3e. If the staff is Sundered, does it deal damage to (i) its wielder, (ii) the weapon or creature which Sundered it, (iii) anyone within 5 feet, or (iv) nobody and nothing?
3f. As written currently, it appears that a techworker could buy a small cube of iron and a flask of acid to make himself a +1 quarterstaff, at a cost of roughly 10 gold or so. I recommend explicitly stating that Inventions may only be produced using Techworker-summoned materials, or it throws a wrench in conventional magic item costing.

Don't let this put you off; I like the idea, even if it looks like a lot of work to get things properly developed and balanced. And as long as it can be so balanced, I could easily see gnomes taking the class.

pyrefiend
2006-12-31, 09:08 AM
Hmm, now that I see the sort of thing you were contemplating... looks like it could be interesting, but a complete bear to balance properly. I do have some questions though...

1. Typically, conjuration/creation spells specify that the materials produced may not be used for spell components, etc. With that in mind, do you have plans to limit your conjuration spells to be used with inventions only?
2. At level 1, this character is hamstrung. He can cast some acid, which evaporates in a round, then some iron which does likewise, then he can build the staff (assuming he succeeds at a craft check - at what DC, is that the 9 you have listed?). However, since it lasts one round it evaporates before he can make effective use of it. He can talk to an alchemist for supplies but that's a much more expensive casting option for a level 1 character (See also 3f). My thoughts on the staff follow, but my recommendation is to allow the cantrips to conjure their ingredients for 1 minute per level, rather than one round.
3a. The staff doesn't make clear just what rolls are required. Is the "jab" of the staff an attack roll of some kind? (i.e. ranged touch/melee touch) or is it a casting action? Does it trigger attacks of opportunity?
3b. Do secondary (area effect) targets of the attack receive a saving throw to half (or negate) the splash damage?
3c. Can the wielder release two blobbies and then trigger the "full payload" option, or is that only available when the staff's fully charged? Or does the orb's damage degrade as charges are removed?
3d. Assuming the iron outlasts the acid's 3 charges (or full splash option) can the staff be refilled using either conventional or summoned acid?
3e. If the staff is Sundered, does it deal damage to (i) its wielder, (ii) the weapon or creature which Sundered it, (iii) anyone within 5 feet, or (iv) nobody and nothing?
3f. As written currently, it appears that a techworker could buy a small cube of iron and a flask of acid to make himself a +1 quarterstaff, at a cost of roughly 10 gold or so. I recommend explicitly stating that Inventions may only be produced using Techworker-summoned materials, or it throws a wrench in conventional magic item costing.

Don't let this put you off; I like the idea, even if it looks like a lot of work to get things properly developed and balanced. And as long as it can be so balanced, I could easily see gnomes taking the class.

Wow, thanks fangthane. All right, taking your questions into account, I've edited the staff functions. But here also I'll make it clear how techworker inventing is different from arcane casting.
The techworker may use his own summoned materials in the creation of inventions. In fact, he may use no other material at all because of the arcane nature of his own creations. The duration for all material-summoning spells is one minute/level, and thus that is also the duration of his inventions. I'm pretty sure that does a lot of aid for the techworker's mechanics.

jlousivy
2006-12-31, 02:08 PM
just making sure, 1 round you can make a 'skull dragons maw' but it'd take up 3 spell slots right?
Also, in the case that all of the material summons are lvl 0, you should increase that number every level (i know bad spell progression) but then again, no other class requires you to use 3 spell slots for a single spell.
case: you could run out of conjuration spells but have plenty of 'inventions' left.

Is it a spontaneous casting? (put this in the text)
Is it affected by spell failure %? (ditto)

As for the BaB, maybe you can make it sorta like a monk... give him a low bab(1/2) but then a special 'invention' bab that works like unarmed strikes, but only for inventions? (sounds stupid but it makes sense in my head)

pyrefiend
2007-01-01, 07:57 PM
just making sure, 1 round you can make a 'skull dragons maw' but it'd take up 3 spell slots right?
Also, in the case that all of the material summons are lvl 0, you should increase that number every level (i know bad spell progression) but then again, no other class requires you to use 3 spell slots for a single spell.
case: you could run out of conjuration spells but have plenty of 'inventions' left.

Is it a spontaneous casting? (put this in the text)
Is it affected by spell failure %? (ditto)

As for the BaB, maybe you can make it sorta like a monk... give him a low bab(1/2) but then a special 'invention' bab that works like unarmed strikes, but only for inventions? (sounds stupid but it makes sense in my head)
Yes, the skull dragon's maw takes three spell slots, but it's a lot better than any first level sorcerer or wizard spell. On the note of spell failure and spontanius casing, I just (as you said) put those in the text. I know what you mean about the inventions BaB idea, but I'm not sure that would work. For the melee weapons the techworker creates, it wouldn't make scence that just because the weapon is somehow more powerful he has a higher base attak bonus. For other, more unusual weapons, the rules for attacking will be different, and on these there might be an in-text note on an attack bonus the techworker recieves with the unusual weapon.

fangthane
2007-01-03, 02:46 PM
Looks decent at this stage... At least, its power is balanced in situations where it can be leveraged effectively, which is about all that can really be asked (otherwise it becomes too powerful in specific situations).

I like the fact that for 3 spell slots it's effectively a +1 staff for a single combat, plus grants the ability to lob the acid; that seems to me fairly reasonable. I note that there's also no reason a techworker couldn't make more than one such device and pass them to others; they may not (at your discretion) be able to effectively make use of the item's special capabilities (perhaps a UMD check?) but presumably it could be wielded as a +1 staff regardless. How useful would THAT be in a DM-railroad without equipment? (assuming of course that the techworker has anything prepped, anyhow)

pyrefiend
2007-01-03, 03:36 PM
I note that there's also no reason a techworker couldn't make more than one such device and pass them to others; they may not (at your discretion) be able to effectively make use of the item's special capabilities (perhaps a UMD check?) but presumably it could be wielded as a +1 staff regardless.That's the basic idea behind the class, which is to say that yes, the techworker can and should be handing out magic weapons. The weapons that a techworker makes do not require UMD checks because they are normally handeled in rather simple ways. This is a support class basicly, their inventions never get to top power (thus level 6 spell max) but a whole party with techworker weapons is a dangerous thing indeed.

On a seperate note, I never awnsered jlousivy's question about 0 level spells and how they are the only spells used to summon materials. The thing is that they aren't. Higher level summoning spells can materialize more powerful substances, or simply grant a larger amount of basic resources. There's a reason summon iron 1 is summon iron 1, after all. High-level inventions may be quite large, requiring more than one summons of the same material.

Glooble Glistencrist
2007-01-03, 07:40 PM
This sounds like fun. I'd play one. Why is the companion randomized, though? It seems like that could create a lot of variation. What happens to the techworker who roles a companion with no mode of transportation and no attack. What use is it?
Can the construct speak? Does the DM play it? Or does it only follow instructions?
Biographthing sounds awesome, but your description of it leaves something to be desired. I'm sure a more extensive list of creations would help, but it should be followed by a chart showing what body part each one replaces.
Also, I'm worried about casting time. If it takes three rounds to make a simple item, some combats would be pretty much over before the techworker got a chance to participate. Handing out items is fine if you have advance warning before a combat, but if you're suddenly attacked, I can't see it being much use.

pyrefiend
2007-01-03, 08:55 PM
This sounds like fun. I'd play one. Why is the companion randomized, though? It seems like that could create a lot of variation. What happens to the techworker who roles a companion with no mode of transportation and no attack. What use is it?I just did the randomized traits for fun. The DM can let a character choose traits, or find a better way to come up with them at his discression I guess. In truth, nothing would be funnier to me than one of the team's techworker forming an incompetent companion with no arms or legs, but that's just me.

Can the construct speak? Does the DM play it? Or does it only follow instructions? I added a little chart like the one the familiar gets, so just look right above the other companion chart. The companion acts for most purposes as a familiar, which means that it takes instructions and is played by the DM, in general.

Biographthing sounds awesome, but your description of it leaves something to be desired. I'm sure a more extensive list of creations would help, but it should be followed by a chart showing what body part each one replaces.I have an idea, how about the body parts that the invention can be biographed into are just listed in the invention stats?

Also, I'm worried about casting time. If it takes three rounds to make a simple item, some combats would be pretty much over before the techworker got a chance to participate. Handing out items is fine if you have advance warning before a combat, but if you're suddenly attacked, I can't see it being much use.I already thought of that. I wrote this in the inventions section above: "When Conjuration and assembly are used in conjunction, all spell slots are spent, but the process takes only the time that the assembly spell takes. The conjuration time is not counted, as it is done simultaneously."

pyrefiend
2007-01-04, 08:59 PM
I hate to double-post, but I needed to put this up. If this class is going to transend the idea/playable barrier than it needs some more materials. Thus, materialsI have made!
- Of corse, inventions (and a lot more materials) are to follow.

Conjure Iron I
Conjuration
Effect: 1 tiny cube of iron

This spell creates a featureless block of iron. It has hardness 15 and 30 hit points. It is most useful as a base substance for inventions of all kinds.

Conjure Iron II
Conjuration
Effect: 1 small cube of iron

This spell creates a featureless block of iron. It has hardness 15 and 75 hit points. It is most useful as a base substance for inventions of all kinds.

Conjure Iron III
Conjuration
Level: Techworker 2
Effect: 1 medium cube of iron

This spell creates a featureless block of iron. It has hardness 15 and 180 hit points. It is most useful as a base substance for inventions of all kinds, or a barrier or strong blockade of any kind.

Conjure Iron IV
Conjuration
Level: Techworker 4
Range:10ft.
Effect: 1 large cube of iron

This spell creates a featureless block of iron. It has hardness 15 and 500 hit points. It is most useful as a base substance for inventions of all kinds, or a barrier or strong blockade of any kind.

Conjure Iron V
Conjuration
Level: Techworker 5
Range:15ft.
Effect: 1 hugecube of iron

This spell creates a featureless block of iron. It has hardness 15 and 1500 hit points. It is most useful as a base substance for inventions of all kinds, or a barrier or strong blockade of any kind.

Conjure Stone I
Conjuration
Range:5ft
Effect: 1 tiny block of stone

This spell creates a solid rock. It has hardness 12 and 25 hit points. It is most useful as a base substance for some inventions.

Conjure Stone II
Conjuration
Effect: 1 small block of stone

This spell creates a solid rock. It has hardness 12 and 55 hit points. It is most useful as a base substance for some inventions.

Conjure Stone III
Conjuration
Effect: 1 medium block of stone

This spell creates a solid rock. It has hardness 12 and 100 hit points. It is most useful as a base substance for some inventions, or as cover or a blockade.

Conjure Timber I
Conjuration
Effect: 1 tiny array of timber

This spell creates an array of timber planks, magicly bound together. It has hardness 5 and 15 hit points. It is most useful as a base substance for some inventions.

Conjure Timber II
Conjuration
Effect: 1 small array of timber

This spell creates an array of timber planks, magicly bound together. It has hardness 5 and 35 hit points. It is most useful as a base substance for some inventions.

Conjure Timber III
Conjuration
Effect: 1 medium array of timber

This spell creates an array of timber planks, magicly bound together. It has hardness 5 and 70 hit points. It is most useful as a base substance for some inventions.

~Odd Substances~

Conjure Lesser Acid
Conjuration
Saving Throw: see text

You conjure forth a small amount of weak acid. This spell is usually used to call forth acid inside a vial, although it does not have to. If inside a vial, it can be thrown as a splash weapon with a range increment of 20ft. Those struck by the vial take 1d4 acid damage and those adjacent to the struck creature recieve 1 point of splash damage.

Conjure Potent Acid
Conjuration
Saving Throw: Reflex half

You conjure forth a small amount of potent acid. This spell is usually used to call forth acid inside a vial, although it does not have to. If inside a vial, it can be thrown as a splash weapon with a range increment of 20ft. Those struck by the vial take 2d6 acid damage + another 1d6 damage per 2 levels. Those adjacent to the struck creature recieve half that damage in splash damage. Victums of splash damage can also make a reflex save.

Conjure Great Acid
Conjuration

You conjure forth a small amount of potent acid. This spell is usually used to call forth acid inside a vial, although it does not have to. If inside a vial, it can be thrown as a splash weapon with a range increment of 20ft. Those struck by the vial take 1d6 acid damage per techworker level (maximum 12d6). Those adjacent to the struck creature recieve half that damage in splash damage. Victums of splash damage can also make a reflex save.

Conjure Awsome Acid
Conjuration
Saving Throw: None

You conjure forth a small amount of potent acid. This spell is usually used to call forth acid inside a vial, although it does not have to. If inside a vial, it can be thrown as a splash weapon with a range increment of 20ft. Those struck by the vial take 1d6 acid damage per techworker level (maximum 20d6). Those adjacent to the struck creature recieve half that damage in splash damage. Victums of splash damage can also make a reflex save.

Conjure Alchemist's Fire
Conjuration
Effect: 1 flask of alchemist's fire

You can throw a flask of alchemist’s fire as a splash weapon. Treat this attack as a ranged touch attack with a range increment of 10 feet.
A direct hit deals 1d6 points of fire damage. Every creature within 5 feet of the point where the flask hits takes 1 point of fire damage from the splash. On the round following a direct hit, the target takes an additional 1d6 points of damage. If desired, the target can use a full-round action to attempt to extinguish the flames before taking this additional damage. Extinguishing the flames requires a DC 15 Reflex save. Rolling on the ground provides the target a +2 bonus on the save. Leaping into a lake or magically extinguishing the flames automatically smothers the fire. Dispite it's obious use as a weapon in it's own right, but it is even more potent in an invention.

Conjure Blowdust
Conjuration
Effect: 1/8 cup of blowdust

This spell summons a bit of blowdust, a curious material which swirls air around it rapidly. If not summoned within a closed case it immediately disperses, but if used in a closed space it can be used in an invention later.

Conjure Cosmix
Conjuration
Effect: 1 tiny brick of cosmix

This spell summons a block of cosmix, a mighty mineral with a connection to the primal threads of reality. It has hardness 8 and 28 hit points. If enough pressure is applied to cosmix (if it's hardness is exceeded) it explodes in a forcewave spell, imitaing the effects of the spell in all ways except it has a mighty +20 bonus to bull rushes.

Conjure Frostbite
Conjuration
Effect: 1/8 cup of the liquid frostbite
Saving Throw: Reflex half, Fort partial

This spell summons a bit of the rare black liquid called frostbite. This spell is usually used to summon frostbite within a container of some sort, although it does not have to. If thrown while in a vial it has a range increment of 20ft, as a ranged touch attack. If the attack hits it's mark, it deals 2d8 cold damage. This attack does not deal splash damage, the lequid freezes on contact with it's target. In addition, if the target fails a fortitude save, it is encased in the ice as with the freeze spell.

Eshue Absuerb
Transmutation
Level: Techworker 3
Effect: One cup of absuerb
Duration: 1 minute/ level
Saving Throw: none

Absuerb is a bizzare and magical liquid which has the ability to aborb raw arcane magic. When hit with a magical attack, it suffors no harm, instead taking in the magical power itself. However, absuerb can only take in so much energy before it detonates with power. For every cup of absuerb used, 6 levels of spells can be absorbed. Thus 1 cup of absuerb can absorb 1 6th level spell, or six 1st level spells, or any combination of spells that adds up to 6. 0-level spells have no effect on absuerb, they neither harm it or are aborbed. When absuerb takes in arcane energy, it gains distinct proporties depending on the school of magic it absorbed:
Abjuration: The absuerb turns gray and lets out a low hum. It becomes denser, and seems to repel nearby objects as though magneticly.
Conjuration: Odd items randomly pop in and out of existance around the absuerb. The absuerb itself has turned to a swirling mass of color and shapes, and sometimes teleports a few inches before returning to its original spot.
Enchantment: The color of the absuerb seems to differ by the observer, but it is always pleasing- gold or silver usually. Those who see the absuerb in this state sometimes seem to think of it as something else, though they always have the urge to take it for their own.
Evocation:The absuerb is a mass of light, sound in color. It sparks with dangerous energy: it catches fire, freezes solid, or even begins to hum with electricity. It also lets out shrieks of sonic energy, to it's owners dismay.
Illusion: Absuerb in this form is impossible to describe. Observers seem to take it as anything and everything. Those who look apon it are sometimes assulted with a wave of strange emotions or sensations, the only consistant description is that is anything but mundane.
Necromancy: Absuerb in this state turns sickeningly black. It seems to smell of death and wisper in no language.
Transmutation: This form of absuerb is a writhing mass of everything. it is sharp, fuzzy, sticky and rough, and every color- unless it is invisable.

Absuerb in any spell-charged form can be drank as a potion. One cup of it bestows a +1 modifier to spell DCs of the appropriate school for every 2 points of energy from that school absorbed. When absuerb has absorbed all it can, it explodes with no ill effects on those nearby.

~Inventions~
Tornado Mine
Transmutation
Effect: One potential tornado
Saving Throw: Reflex Partial
DC: 15 (metalwork)

This invention is a small metal disk about six inches in diameter. It has a small glass window to the inside in the center, throuch which can be seen a tiny cyclone of air. To be put into use, the disk must be placed on a level place on the ground. It then detatches small devices which seem to liquify the ground for a moment, thus letting it sink into the earth about three inches deep. Only a DC 25 spot check can detect the shifted earth. The true purpose of the mine comes into effect when pressure is applied to the ground nearby the mine. If 30 pounds of pressure (or more) is applied to the ground within ten feet of the mine after it is placed than a tornado errupts from the mine under the earth. The tornado is 10 ft. wide at the base, 300 feet wide at the top, and 40 feet high. Flames within 10 ft. of the tornado are automaticly extinguished. Large or smaller creatures who fail a reflex save are automaticly sucked into the winds and take 1d8 bludgeoning damage. Trapped creatures can attempt another reflex save every round to escape, but flightless creatures are ejected 1d2X5 feet in 1d6 rounds. Every round spent in the tornado deals an extra 1d8 of damage. Creatures in the winds take a -4 penalty to attack rolls and strength or dexterity-based abilies. Ranged attacks in or through the winds are impossible unless they are made against creatures in the winds. Spells can be cast in the tornado, but a concentration check (DC 15 + techworker level) is required.
Material Components: 1 tiny supply of iron and 1/8 cup of blowdust.

Cosmic Ballista
Transmutation
Casting Time: One full-round action
Effect: One Force-Powered Ballista
DC: 18 (woodworking) 10 (metalworking)

This spell creates a large ballista. It is normal in every way except that it glows faintly blue and amits a low hum. It functions the same way as a normal ballista in evey way (noted on page 100 of the Dungeon Master's Guide) except as noted here. The techworker who created the ballista can aim it telekeneticly, and imposes no penalty to attack roles. The ballista also reloads itself as a full-round action, but the most powerfull aspect of the ballista is it's ammunition. The seige engine is loaded with orbs of pure force, which deal damage to those struck by it as orbs of force, except that the orbs are 2 feet in diameter and have a max damage of 20d6. Also, if an orb hits it's mark, it releases a forcewave spell with a +20 bonus to bull rushes, which is centered on the struck creature. The force damage delt by the ballista replaces that of a normal ballista.
Material Components: 1 large supply of timber, 1 small supply of iron, and 1 brick of cosmix.

Arctic Knife
Transmutation
Effect: One Cold-Enhanced Dagger
DC: 12 (metalworking)

Arctic Knife summons a dagger which has a size fitting that of the techworker. It functions normally as a +2 dagger with the frost ability in every way except as noted here. When a critical is scored with the dagger, ice quickly spreads all over the body of the enemy creature. This effect is similar in every way to the encasing effect of a freeze spell.
Material Components: 1 tiny supply of iron and 1/8 cup of frostbite.

Skull Dragon's Maw
Transmutation
Effect/Range: See Text
Saving Throw: Reflex Half
DC: 9 (metalwork)

This invention is an aproximately 5 ft. long, black iron staff with an iron black dragons' head at the top. It can be wielded as a +1 quarterstaff, but also has magical properties. With a jab foward, the maw releases a very small sphere of acid at high speed. This special attack requires a ranged touch attack, but does not provoke an attack of opportunity. The sphere deals 1d4 acid damage to the target (reflex half) and 1 splash damage to each adjacent creture. If any creature threatened by splash damge makes a reflex save, they take no damage. This effect has a range of 60 ft and can be activated three times. The wielder of the staff can also release all it's fuel at once in a great orb of acid which functions as the Lesser Orb of Acid spell, except it deals 5 atomatic points of extra damage. This option requires the staff to be completly full (no charges used). The staff has hardness 8 and 5 hit points. If sundered, it releases all the acid it held apon the weilder of the staff and the sunderer, provided he is adjacent. The acid damage taken is equal to 1d4 times the number of normal shots left. If the staff has been augmented with more powerful acid than the damage is equal to the base damage of a normal shot times the number of shots left. Once the staff has exhausted all acid it can be refilled by means of a conjure acid spell.

Material Components: 1 tiny block of iron and 1 flask of acid lesser ar stronger.
Augment: Acid stronger than lesser deals more damge as noted in it's entry.
strong acid or any more powerful changes the lesser orb of acid int an orb of acid.

mikeejimbo
2007-01-05, 01:54 PM
I too, like the idea but agree it might be hard to balance.

I would like to see more inventions though. The whole class has a steampunk-esque feel to me. I like it.

XtheYeti
2007-01-05, 01:57 PM
Good class cool idea, and i like magic stuff makers

Glooble Glistencrist
2007-01-05, 04:07 PM
Eventually, will the techworker be able to make like tanks and things? Just wondering what he'd use the huge cube of iron for.

pyrefiend
2007-01-05, 04:31 PM
All right, it's inventing time! These are a few recent ideas which make use of the recently made materials. For the sake of simplicity, all finished materials and inventions will be catolouged in my last post.

Tornado Mine
Transmutation
Effect: One potential tornado
DC: 15 (metalwork)
Biographing: N/A

This invention is a small metal disk about six inches in diameter. It has a small glass window to the inside in the center, throuch which can be seen a tiny cyclone of air. To be put into use, the disk must be placed on a level place on the ground. It then detatches small devices which seem to liquify the ground for a moment, thus letting it sink into the earth about three inches deep. Only a DC 25 spot check can detect the shifted earth. The true purpose of the mine comes into effect when pressure is applied to the ground nearby the mine. If 30 pounds of pressure (or more) is applied to the ground within ten feet of the mine after it is placed than a tornado errupts from the mine under the earth. The tornado is 10 ft. wide at the base, 300 feet wide at the top, and 40 feet high. Flames within 10 ft. of the tornado are automaticly extinguished. Large or smaller creatures who fail a reflex save are automaticly sucked into the winds and take 1d8 bludgeoning damage. Trapped creatures can attempt another reflex save every round to escape, but flightless creatures are ejected 1d2X5 feet in 1d6 rounds. Every round spent in the tornado deals an extra 1d8 of damage. Creatures in the winds take a -4 penalty to attack rolls and strength or dexterity-based abilies. Ranged attacks in or through the winds are impossible unless they are made against creatures in the winds. Spells can be cast in the tornado, but a concentration check (DC 15 + techworker level) is required.
Material Components: 1 tiny supply of iron and 1/8 cup of blowdust.

Cosmic Ballista
Transmutation
Casting Time: One full-round action
Effect: One Force-Powered Ballista
DC: 18 (woodworking) 10 (metalworking)
Biographing: N/A

This spell creates a large ballista. It is normal in every way except that it glows faintly blue and amits a low hum. It functions the same way as a normal ballista in evey way (noted on page 100 of the Dungeon Master's Guide) except as noted here. The techworker who created the ballista can aim it telekeneticly, and imposes no penalty to attack roles. The ballista also reloads itself as a full-round action, but the most powerfull aspect of the ballista is it's ammunition. The seige engine is loaded with orbs of pure force, which deal damage to those struck by it as orbs of force, except that the orbs are 2 feet in diameter and have a max damage of 20d6. Also, if an orb hits it's mark, it releases a forcewave spell with a +20 bonus to bull rushes, which is centered on the struck creature. The force damage delt by the ballista replaces that of a normal ballista.
Material Components: 1 large supply of timber, 1 small supply of iron, and 1 brick of cosmix.

Arctic Knife
Transmutation
Effect: One Cold-Enhanced Dagger
DC: 12 (metalworking)
Biographing: Forearm, Wrist.

Arctic Knife summons a dagger which has a size fitting that of the techworker. It functions normally as a +2 dagger with the frost ability in every way except as noted here. When a critical is scored with the dagger, ice quickly spreads all over the body of the enemy creature. This effect is similar in every way to the encasing effect of a freeze spell.
Material Components: 1 tiny supply of iron and 1/8 cup of frostbite.

More inventions are to come.
Well, it's not an invention, but it's a material.

Eshue Absuerb
Transmutation
Effect: One cup of absuerb
Duration: 1 minute/ level

Absuerb is a bizzare and magical liquid which has the ability to aborb raw arcane magic. When hit with a magical attack, it suffors no harm, instead taking in the magical power itself. However, absuerb can only take in so much energy before it detonates with power. For every cup of absuerb used, 6 levels of spells can be absorbed. Thus 1 cup of absuerb can absorb 1 6th level spell, or six 1st level spells, or any combination of spells that adds up to 6. 0-level spells have no effect on absuerb, they neither harm it or are aborbed. When absuerb takes in arcane energy, it gains distinct proporties depending on the school of magic it absorbed:
Abjuration: The absuerb turns gray and lets out a low hum. It becomes denser, and seems to repel nearby objects as though magneticly.
Conjuration: Odd items randomly pop in and out of existance around the absuerb. The absuerb itself has turned to a swirling mass of color and shapes, and sometimes teleports a few inches before returning to its original spot.
Enchantment: The color of the absuerb seems to differ by the observer, but it is always pleasing- gold or silver usually. Those who see the absuerb in this state sometimes seem to think of it as something else, though they always have the urge to take it for their own.
Evocation:The absuerb is a mass of light, sound in color. It sparks with dangerous energy: it catches fire, freezes solid, or even begins to hum with electricity. It also lets out shrieks of sonic energy, to it's owners dismay.
Illusion: Absuerb in this form is impossible to describe. Observers seem to take it as anything and everything. Those who look apon it are sometimes assulted with a wave of strange emotions or sensations, the only consistant description is that is anything but mundane.
Necromancy: Absuerb in this state turns sickeningly black. It seems to smell of death and wisper in no language.
Transmutation: This form of absuerb is a writhing mass of everything. it is sharp, fuzzy, sticky and rough, and every color- unless it is invisable.

Absuerb in any spell-charged form can be drank as a potion. One cup of it bestows a +1 modifier to spell DCs of the appropriate school for every 2 points of energy from that school absorbed. When absuerb has absorbed all it can, it explodes with no ill effects on those nearby.