PDA

View Full Version : [PrC] Hand of God

horacegoesskiing
2006-12-26, 12:35 PM
Hello.
I recently registered because I needed to say how awesome comic #393 was, and I liked the forums (though I feel intimidated by all the power gamers) already.

Here's a PrC design I've made that has never been playtested, and which I like.

Hand of God
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v116/artistanbul/handofgodwppsmall.jpg

Aarul was a Tempuran cleric. And a pretty zealous one at that. Every opportunity he got, he demonstrated how strong, how powerful, how wise he was. Through the will and force of Tempus. He believed in preaching with actions, then words.

One night, when he was sleeping after a very fulfilling day, he saw a dream. He was walking on a battleswept ground. Broken bodies were all around. There was silence. Then he heard metal over metal, a sound he was too familiar with. With a dreamy zoom he went towards that direction, and saw a giant armorclad figure towering on motionless bodies, fighting his enemies with his bare hands. As he grasped the last of his pitiful enemies in the head he turned towards Aarul's blank looking face.

Aarul was astonished, mesmerized at the strength and presence of the warrior. Then the warrior pointed his gauntlet towards him and told: "Go to Sespech. Seek Helgrum the Mighty" as he crushed the mans skull singlehandedly Aarul awoke. And inside he knew, that the man in the armor was himself...

Hands of god are zealous worshippers. They aspire being vessels of their gods, being showcase of their greatness, being instruments of their might, being weapons their god wields, being champions. They do not use weapons, that they are weapons themselves. Mostly Favored Souls and Clerics become initiated in this rare Prestige Class of which the most distinguished bards only know of.

Hit Die: d10.

Requirements:

To qualify to become a Hog, a character must fulfill all the following criteria.
Skills: Kn (Religion): 10 Ranks, Concentration: 10 ranks

Feats: Iron Will, Improved Unarmed Strike, Combat casting, Toughness

Special
Must defeat a worthy opponent (character level+1 ECL) in battle
without using weapons before another Hand of God to be initiated.

Must be able to cast divine spells
Must worship a deity
Must have access to Strength Domain

Class Skills
The HoG’s class skills (and the key abilities for each skill) are Concentration (Con), Craft (Int), Intimidate (Cha), Perform [muscle flexing] (Str) , Heal (Wis), Knowledge (history/religion/the planes) (Int), Profession (Wis), Sense Motive (Wis) and Spellcraft (Int).
Skill Points at Each Level: 2 + Int modifier.

Class Features
BAB Fort Ref Will Abilities Caster Level
1. +0 +2 +0 +2 Hand of God, Weapon of God
2. +1 +3 +0 +3 Holy (/Unholy/Harmonic) Hands, Smashing Hands Divine +1
3. +2 +3 +1 +3 Armor Free1
4. +3 +4 +1 +4 HolyHand +1, Crushing Hands Divine +1
5. +3 +4 +1 +4 Hands of Castigation
6. +4 +5 +2 +5 Holy Hand+1, Armor Free2, Divine +1
7. +5 +5 +2 +5 Devastating Hands
8. +6 +6 +2 +6 HolyHand+1, Belief Through Body Divine +1
9. +6 +6 +3 +6 Armor Free3, Fist of Deity
10.+7 +7 +3 +7 HolyHand+1, Champion of God Divine +1

HoG Vow:Immediately after being initiated, A HoG's alignment becomes the same with his/her deity. He swears not to use a weapon again and if he does he loses all class abilities (with exception of gauntlets) until he atones(via atonement or such).

Multiclassing:Being a Hand of God is an absolute decision. A Hand of God cannot take any other levels when leveling up. If he does he can not go back to taking HoG levels again, though he retains all his abilities.

Weapon and armor proficiencies: A HoG gains no extra proficiencies.

Hand of God:
HoG levels stack with Monk levels regarding Monk abilities. If a HoG has no monk levels treat him/her
as a monk with level equal to his class level (only for Flurry, Unarmed damage, Monk AC and AC Bonus ). Armor penalties still apply.
HoG may use any type of gauntlets and retains all his bonuses to unarmed strikes.

Weapon of God: A HoG may cast touch ranged spells with his unarmed strikes.

Holy Hand: Unarmed strikes of a HoG count as magical weapons for purposes of bypassing damage reduction.

Smashing Hands: Critical range is doubled for unarmed strikes (and gauntlets) (doesn't stack with impact or keen)

Crushing Hands: After pinning his opponent of same or smaller size, a HoG may squeeze his skull with his single hand dealing damage normally.
and can keep fighting other opponents or cast spells, if he succeeds Conc check with DC (10 +HD of opponent -4 for every size category smaller)
If he loses the check the opponent breaks free.

Hands of Castigation: Treat HoG one size larger for unarmed damage and grappling bonuses.

Devastating Hands: Critical multiplier of Unarmed Strikes or gauntlets of HoG go up one level. (x2 -> x3, x3->x4 etc.)

Belief Through Body: A HoG adds his positive Wisdom Modifer to his attack and damage rolls.

Fist of Deity: After dealing unarmed damage to an opponent, a HoG may choose to deal the same amount of damage
(without damage reduction if applied the first time) again as a free action This damage is divine. This ability may be used once per day.

Champion of God: At 10th level, the Hand of God becomes so attuned with his/her deity that he trascends from being a mere mortal and becomes an outsider with his alignment subtype and gains damage reduction. His unarmed damages go up one size category.

---------------------------
I like the concept very much. And want to make it work. I thought of putting the monk out altogether and etc. Please DO comment. And help making it a good prestige class...

Comment even if you think it should be thoroughly changed.

I wrote this a while ago and I have no Idea what the Armor Free is supposed to mean :)

thanks.

Balesirion
2006-12-26, 12:38 PM
How much is the damage reduction, and how is it overcome?

horacegoesskiing
2006-12-26, 05:52 PM
Hi Balesirion. I guess I was thinking 10/appropriate alignment subtype, according to HoG's alignment subtype.
Good: 10/evil
Evil: 10/good and like..

sigurd
2006-12-26, 11:12 PM
I like the concept - It would be frightening as a giant cleric class.

To begin, I'd suggest you move divine caster progression to even levels to discourage dipping. Consider rethinking this in a more barbaric light - perhaps a weapon would not value diplomacy :). Personally, I think the reqs are to high - I would drop combat casting or toughness.

You really should make up something for "Armor Free" ...

Did you do the artwork?

sigurd

horacegoesskiing
2006-12-27, 09:47 AM
Thanks sigurd
The divine progression makes sense. Combat casting should stay IMO, but toughness may go.

I've edited a little. How about Perform [muscle flexing] and Intimidate skills? And they should use Str modifier.

I have still no idea about armorfree, maybe one of you guys can come up with something that fits the concept.

Yes I did the artwork.

Lord Iames Osari
2006-12-27, 09:53 AM
Hm. Instead of having the HoG's Vow change his or her alignment, I would make it a requirement that the character match the alignment of their deity in order to enter.

Roderick_BR
2006-12-27, 10:38 AM
Hmm... it looks interesting.
However, it reminds me a bit of the "Sacred Fist" in the Defenders of Faith, though yours look better.

Armor Free: Maybe a monk-like bonuses for AC when unarmored? That way a multiclass cleric/monk/HoG can combine his HoG and monk features.

horacegoesskiing
2006-12-27, 06:35 PM
Hello Lord Iames
I'd think it could be a burden in an actual game. And even if it was changed to a requirement, there would be virtually no difference for a person determined to take the class. One step near is good enough IMO. Though I guess I should add a penalty if the HoG diverts from the deity's alignment.

Roderick, Hand of God ability makes it possible already. oooh.. now I remember armor free was supposed to reduce the penalties for AC bonus and flurry.

To tell the truth, I don't like how this PrC calls for being a monk so much. How can I change this?

Roderick_BR
2006-12-28, 10:22 AM
I think there's no way to change it. It's like saying you don't want a PrC for Barbarians to don't allow the character to get Fighter or Paladin levels.

sigurd
2006-12-29, 12:59 PM
I think thematically the class is more interesting if it comes from a barbaric background. A hulking brute crushing skulls for god!

Monk's are sort of unreligious.

I think some sort of 'Holy Thunderclap' where a character claps his hands together over the unprotected head of his foe, crushing it like a melon, would be memorable.

Imagine a Minotaur 'Hand of GOD' putting the fear into the civilized weenies that cling to the false protection of their cities and tiny weapons... :)

Course thats just me.

Doesn't mean I don't love your artwork - He looks like Watson (from Conan Doyle) only on steroids !

Would you mind if I used him for a Victorian Witch Hunter\Investigator class?

Sigurd

Skydiving_Ninja
2006-12-31, 10:48 AM
I'd give him some divine casting progression. Then the combat casting pre-req is more useful. OR you could just take away combat casting.