PDA

View Full Version : Mancers

charles
2006-12-27, 03:50 AM
Ok figured it might be a good call to have a thread dedicated to "MANCERS" in general. Below are the known (or guessed) Mancer classes and their colour codes for "The Magic Kingdom" (thanks mostly to "Mr Wizard" in the Erf11 post).

ERFWORLD REALWORLD COLOUR

Croakamancers = Necromancer = Black(ish)
Hippiemancers = Druid = Green
Dirtomancers = Earth??? = Brown
Findamancer = Summoning = Blue???
Predictamancer = Forsight = Yellow???
Lookamancer = Scrying = Purple???
Torchamancer??? = Fire??? = Red
Owiemancer??? = Apothecary??? = Teal

Mr Wizard
2006-12-27, 04:48 AM
I think Findamancers summon things and Lookamancers scry.

And I made up "torchamancer", might be anything really. Magmamancer, Flamamancer, Explodymancer, Blamomancer, anything really destruction oriented. I chose torch because I was trying to think of something that they would know about already. But now that I think about it, Blamomancer sounds likely. ;)

And I think Yellow, Purple, Red and Blue should have ??? after them, becuase I guessed that was their color.

EDIT: And Looking at it as a whole, What is missing is a healing oriented caster. This might be what teal is, or it might be Dirtomancers's field, because as it is now, Dirtomancers and hippie mancers could both be Druids. We may need to learn more about them. But I think Teal could be the healer caster, so maybe...

Owiemancer.:smallbiggrin:

Maurog
2006-12-27, 05:38 AM
I think the opposite sides are somewhat opposite (for example Hippiemancers are cheerful and useless, and the opposing Croakamancers are gloomy and effecient). Based on that, I'd say yellow is the Curamancers and red is the Hurtamancers, for healing and invocation respectively.

mc skittlez ninja master
2006-12-27, 05:45 AM
there should be ninjamancers cuz then theyed give people ninja powers and no I don't have an obsession with ninjas.

fehler
2006-12-27, 01:04 PM
Torchamancer? No, Boomamancer.

Demented
2006-12-27, 07:32 PM
Burnamancer!

Lookamancers are teal. Wetomancers are blue.

Mr Wizard
2006-12-28, 03:46 AM
Maybe they will pass a "You are here" map on their way to the portal.:smallwink:
I hate not knowing.:smallfrown:

:thog: not-knowledge is not knowledge at all.

EntilZha
2006-12-28, 10:48 PM
Hmmm....Wanda's a croakamancer and her attire is not primarily black in color. Still there's nothing that says a necromancer has to dress in black.

fehler
2006-12-28, 11:15 PM
And Sizemore is a Dirtomancer, but he wears a salmon-colored tunic, not the assumed brown.

Mr Wizard
2006-12-31, 08:54 PM
We aren't basing anything on clothing. We are trying to figure out which color coded division of land in comic 11 corresponds to trhe magical profession. This doesn't mean that their clothing needs to match their origin exactly. :)

mc skittlez ninja master
2007-01-02, 12:47 AM
ninja-mancers would be ninja colored

TinSoldier
2007-01-02, 01:01 AM
While ninjamancers would probably kick butt, piratemancers would look cooler...

mc skittlez ninja master
2007-01-02, 01:16 AM
Blasphemy! Pirates Would Never Be Better Than Ninjas!

TinSoldier
2007-01-02, 01:22 AM
I didn't say better, I said cooler...

mc skittlez ninja master
2007-01-02, 01:33 AM
Same Differance! Pirates Can Never Beat Ninjas In Any Catagories Except Negative Catagories Like Stupidness!

TinSoldier
2007-01-02, 01:40 AM
Same Differance! Pirates Can Never Beat Ninjas In Any Catagories Except Negative Catagories Like Stupidness!Or making up words like "stupidness".

mc skittlez ninja master
2007-01-02, 01:42 AM
well... your a ... ummm.... your mom! (haha did you see that frank?) I'm lonely...

TinSoldier
2007-01-02, 01:46 AM
See? Ninjas have no linguistic skills whatsoever. Only pirates can use the language in such a manner as to discombobulate their opponents and make them so frustrated that they lower their guard.

QED.

mc skittlez ninja master
2007-01-02, 01:51 AM
your confusingsing me... well... pirates say arr!That's stupid!

Maurog
2007-01-02, 02:36 AM
Same Differance! Pirates Can Never Beat Ninjas In Any Catagories Except Negative Catagories Like Stupidness!
Four words:
Teenage. Mutant. Ninja. Turtles.

The prosecution rests.

mc skittlez ninja master
2007-01-02, 02:41 AM
because they are ninjas, yes. there cannot be teenage mutant pirate turtles, now can there?

Mr Wizard
2007-01-02, 10:32 AM
Based on the color of the Scroll in #13, I would say that Findamancers are blue, and predictamancers yellow, and lookamancers purple.

Nazzo, the 102nd
2007-03-20, 09:35 PM
Looks like we know the other two "schools" now.

Croakamancy
Hippiemancy
Dirtomancy
Findamancy
Predictamancy
Lookamancy
Thinkamancy
Foolamancy

Also, it seems we have some sort of "super schools", like Eyemancy, which is subdivided in the latter three. Interesting. They must be neighbors in the Magic Kingdom. :smallsmile:

Innis Cabal
2007-03-20, 09:48 PM
so would croakamancy and "burn"mancy be part of the over all catagory Killamancy?

Erk
2007-03-21, 12:57 AM
killamancy sounds way too harsh. I'd say Hurtamancy at worst.

Innis Cabal
2007-03-21, 01:01 AM
that works, forgot this was a cute world...

chionophile
2007-03-21, 01:05 AM
Yeah, cute. Y'know, except for the torture.

Scientivore
2007-03-21, 02:21 AM
I find this interesting but I want sourcing for what's known and explicit labeling of speculation.

The eight colors of magic are clearly visible in the first panel of page 11 (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/erf0011.html) so I'll start with those, using the names of the closest legible font colors that I can find here, starting with gray and working clockwise.

Gray
Medium Turquoise
Dark Red
Sandy Brown
Sea Green
Royal Blue
Yellow
Plum

In the first panel, the tail of the speech bubble is pointing at Sea Green and they're in a glade of the Hippiemancers. I don't think that it's clear at all that they're equivalent to Druids; their big thing seems to be peace, but that's just speculation so I'll put it in parentheses.

Sea Green = Hippiemancy (Pacification)

From page 2 (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/erf0002.html) we know that there's Croakamancy (Necromancy). From page 5 (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/erf0005.html) we know that there's Findamancy (Summoning) and Predictamancy (Forecasting). From page 9 (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/erf0009.html) we know that Abjuration (Sending) is half of an Unnamed (Teleportation) type that also includes a receiving sub-type, presumably Findamancy. From page 13 (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/erf0013.html) we know that there's Dirtamancy (Soil Magic) -- I call it Soil Magic because a euphamism for crap is "nightsoil", so that nicely covers both traditional Geomancy and Sizemore's cesspit services. From the first panel of page 22 (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/erf0022.html) we know that there's healing magic (presumably called Healamancy), and from the seventh and eighth panels we know that Fate magic -- possibly also called Fatemancy (Plot) -- is needed to attune to the Arkentools. Finally, from page 35 (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/erf0035.html) we know that Eyemancy (Sight Magic) includes Lookamancy (Farseeing), Thinkamancy (Mindreading) and Foolamancy (Illusion).

So, we're up to a dozen kinds of magic (despite only one element out of the traditional four) and only eight colors. However, the examples of Eyemancy and Abjuration shows that there are types and sub-types. We don't even know for sure that Hippiemancy is a full type -- it could be a sub-type of Lifemancy or something -- but I'm sticking as closely as possible to what we've been shown.

It's clear to me that we need to assign all of Eyemancy to a single color. Also, it seems like Abjuration (which I'm surprised has a traditional name instead of Sendamancy or whatever) and Findamancy (which I think would be better called Getamancy) are both sub-types of a Teleportation magic that I'll speculatively call Placemancy. I'm tempted to arbitrarily assume that some kind fire magic and ice magic are there but I won't. Finally, I don't think that we have any evidence for which kinds of magic aside from Hippiemancy are which colors, so here's my best guess:

Gray = Croakamancy (Necromancy)
Medium Turquoise = Heal magic [Healamancy?]
Dark Red = Predictamancy (Forecasting)
Sandy Brown = Dirtamancy (Soil Magic)
Sea Green = Hippiemancy (Pacification)
Royal Blue = Speculative [Placemancy?] (Teleportion)
--Abjuration (Sending)
--Findamancy (Summoning)
Yellow = Eyemancy (Sight Magic)
--Lookamancy (Farseeing)
--Thinkamancy (Mindreading)
--Foolamancy (Illusion)
Plum = Fate magic [Fatemancy?] (Plot)

If fire and ice magic exist, then Healamancy and Hippiemancy could both be sub-types of Lifemancy (or something like that) and Predictamancy (which I'm attempting to practice here) could be a sub-type of Fatemancy. It's also possible that Ansom said "Fate magic" instead of "Fatemancy" because it isn't something that mortals can practice, in which case I'd guess that Plum = Predictamancy and Dark Red = Burnamancy.

Erk
2007-03-21, 02:53 AM
Nice synopsis so far, scientivore.

Regarding Abjuration: I think perhaps that individual magic effects, not magic types, would still have more "traditional" names. For example, the teleportation gates are called Portals, quite a traditional name, not "Movagates" or something. Abjuration could be one effect achievable using "movamancy" or some other blanketing magic subtype. Or perhaps Rob and Jamie couldn't think of a good "~omancy" term to explain the same effect :p

I am eager to learn more. I love magic systems.

Also note: the Summon Warlord spell seems to have included Fate Magic, according to Page 13. It pulsed with it, unless Sizemore and Wanda were being poetic. If that's the case, Fate magic may in fact be royal blue, not findamancy. Also, since Ansom says "Fate magic is powerless in my case", it seems likely that it can in fact be practiced by mortals, but does not always work.

Another note regarding spell colours: Whatever Wanda cast on Page 30 was yellow. Given that she is threatening the "very hard way", I don't think she would be using Eyemancy there.
*walk walk walk walk balk*
Unless it was some kind of hardcore Thinkamancy spell..... hmm. That would make sense for interrogation.

Scientivore
2007-03-21, 06:00 AM
That's a good catch about the Perfect Warlord spell pulsing with Fate magic. I thought that they were speaking figuratively the first time that I read it and I missed it (got too impatient to let the page load all the way) when I was skimming through the archives.

The sparkles are close to Medium Turquoise, so maybe that's the color of Fate magic. Predictamancers were involved in forging the Perfect Warlord spell too, so that's circumstantial evidence that Fate magic and Predictamancy are related.

Erk
2007-03-21, 06:31 AM
That is a good point... on the other hand the sprite scroll is pretty clearly royal.

SteveMB
2007-03-21, 07:36 AM
Also note: the Summon Warlord spell seems to have included Fate Magic, according to Page 13. It pulsed with it, unless Sizemore and Wanda were being poetic.
I can see Sizemore being poetic. Wanda... not so much.

Another note regarding spell colours: Whatever Wanda cast on Page 30 was yellow. Given that she is threatening the "very hard way", I don't think she would be using Eyemancy there.
Unless it was some kind of hardcore Thinkamancy spell..... hmm. That would make sense for interrogation.
Her "headache spell" (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/erf0018.html), perhaps?

Revlid
2007-03-21, 08:11 AM

I would have thought it'd be Foolamancy, myself. Some kind of nasty (or not-so nasty, given the unexplained relationship between prisoner and torturer) torture illusion.

SteveMB
2007-03-21, 08:22 AM
I would have thought it'd be Foolamancy, myself. Some kind of nasty (or not-so nasty, given the unexplained relationship between prisoner and torturer) torture illusion.
The headache spell might be a form of Foolamancy (illusory physical sensations).

(It might even be one of the simpler forms of Foolamancy, since it doesn't really have to decieve the subject -- knowing that you don't "really" have a migraine wouldn't do jack-boop to make it any less painful.)

Jayabalard
2007-03-21, 11:08 AM
burninatemancer

Darth Paradox
2007-03-21, 05:58 PM
It's a very nice synopsis, but bear in mind that some of the fields that you've listed as primary to colors might be secondary - like how Lookamancy ended up being a secondary field under Eyemancy. To start, I'm guessing that the Glade of the Hippiemancers is a subarea of the section it's in, and that Hippiemancy is a seconary field under an overall sort of earth magic...

SteveMB
2007-03-22, 10:11 AM
It's a very nice synopsis, but bear in mind that some of the fields that you've listed as primary to colors might be secondary - like how Lookamancy ended up being a secondary field under Eyemancy. To start, I'm guessing that the Glade of the Hippiemancers is a subarea of the section it's in, and that Hippiemancy is a seconary field under an overall sort of earth magic...
If so, it might be somewhat related to Dirtomancy, which would make it all the more disappointing to Sizemore that he got nowhere in trying to study it.

Scientivore
2007-03-22, 10:46 AM
It was hidden in my long post but I did acknowledge that Hippiemancy could be part of something else. If so, then I think that it would be part of Lifemancy or something like that, grouped with Healamancy. One of my reasons for suspecting that is because Sea Green is opposite Gray, which is probably Croakamancy.

Erk
2007-03-22, 06:43 PM
Hippiemancy also seems to be associated more with calmness and peace than with greenness and plants... it could go either way from our knowldege but that is what we know about hippiemancers so far. Another tick towards "lifemancy".

Erk
2007-03-22, 07:07 PM
Hippiemancy also seems to be associated more with calmness and peace than with greenness and plants... it could go either way from our knowldege but that is what we know about hippiemancers so far. Another tick towards "lifemancy".

Nazzo, the 102nd
2007-03-22, 10:05 PM
Ok, Sizemore teached Parson that the eyebook uses Lookamancy, Thinkamancy and Foolamancy. Then I started thinking how these three fields of magic could be combined in that item. And here's the result.

Lookamancy is the field of magic that allows the caster to look at thing indirectly, like scrying. But it's in the eyebook because you have to look at what is written on the other person's eyebook too.

Thinkamancy transforms our thoughts in reality. So, think in it, and there it is. In the eyebook, you have to think in the words you're talking to write them on your own.

Foolamancy covers the things that seem to be there, but really aren't, a.k.a. illusions. In the eyebook, the words are not there for real. it's just a mainfestation of the other magics.

So, think in a phrase, and through Thinkamancy and Foolamancy, fake words appear on your eyebook and on the other one too, through Lookamancy. Analog process for the reply.

Quite a handful item, hmmm?

Erk
2007-03-22, 11:39 PM
Thinkamancy transforms our thoughts in reality. So, think in it, and there it is. In the eyebook, you have to think in the words you're talking to write them on your own.

I know this will get me lynched, but I think it needs to be said.

"Boop! Ther'it is! Boop! Ther'it is"

Let the lynching begin.

DCR
2007-03-23, 02:36 AM
What's that, a size 16 neck?

Nah, can't get into it. No noose is good noose.

Demonicbunny
2007-03-27, 02:08 PM
Personally I think that Croakamancy is a bit more multi-faceted than just necromancy.

Necromancy involves, as it says, the dead and the sphere of death.
I'd say that croakamancy involves not only that, but ways of making people dead (which could involve Evocation, Conjuration etc). To put it simply. It's not just uncroaking, but making people croak in a multitude of inventive ways.

Imgran
2007-03-27, 07:47 PM
You're looking at this wrong.

We've been told that Findamancy, Foolamancy and Predictamancy are all SUBSETS of eyemancy.

That means with these types there's categories that overlie them.

Eyemancy is one of the 8, findamancy, foolamancy and predictamancy are subsets.

BTW -- Anyone who's played Lords of Magic is going to snicker at that map lol.

The way I see it

Eyemancy -- (Predict, look, fool, anything that affects your ability to percieve -- Hippiemancy might be a subset of eyemancy too!)

Stuffmancy (Dirtmancy and the creation of other forms of golems, as well as other control of matter. Dirtmancers, Splashmancers, Treemancers, Clothmancers, etc. are Stuffmancy. Maybe even Heatamancers too with fire, though that's debatably "stuff.")

Makemancy (Forging and creation of magical items, though this might be a subset of Stuffmancy)

Feelamancy/Bodymancy (If Hippiemancy isn't part of Eyemancy it's part of Feelamancy. Basically this deals with sensations and physical stuff, maybe healing, spells that would cause fear or inspire courage, stuff like sleep or confuse spells, and of course, PAIN. Wanda's headache spell is probably Feelamancy or Bodymancy in my idea of a system)

Moveamancy (Teleportation, redirection, telekinesis, etc.)

Darkamancy (Croakmancy, Evilmancy, whatever cute word you can think of for demonic rites and occult spells, etc. Obviously Wanda's group)

Whiteamancy (Holy spells, etc. The work of the Titans, and whatever power they left behind would be Whiteamancy, which would by why Stanley thought he was holy)

Protectamancy (defensive spells, etc)

Now what's more conflusing of course is that any subset of disciplines you want ocreate and any category you can make for spells, some of it is going to bleed into other categories. Mine are only my theory, but of course they're pretty porous. But any category you make is going to have a similar problem. So Croakamancers can cast Croakamantic spells that do some of the same things that Bodymancers or Healamancers do because pain might be in both of their areas but for different reasons and in different ways.

chionophile
2007-04-03, 01:58 PM
Now that we know the eight schools of magic, I thought I’d take a crack at assigning colors.

Hippiemancy appears to be green. Maybe we could assign a primary color to each component of Life, Motion and Matter, then mix them to get the appropriate color. This seems to work if you can accept that Teal is null. Say blue is Life, yellow is Matter and red is Motion.

This gives us:

Hocus Pocus :: Blue
Spookism :: Yellow
Stuffamancy :: Red
Eyemancy :: Purple
Hippiemancy :: Green
Naughtymancy :: Orange
Stagemancy :: Black
Clevermancy :: Teal

If you switch the colors assigned to Life and Matter, you get

Hocus Pocus :: Yellow
Spookism :: Blue
Stuffamancy :: Red
Eyemancy :: Orange
Hippiemancy :: Green
Naughtymancy :: Purple
Stagemancy :: Black
Clevermancy :: Teal

Yes, I am on spring break and am very, very bored.

Edit: Looking back, I'm inclined to think that if either of these are accurate, it's the first one. Wanda's spell to summon Parson was blue and she said that it was crafted by predictamancers and findamancers. These both fall under the Hocus Pocus school, which I assigned the color blue.

Emperor Demonking
2007-04-03, 02:03 PM
I think the first set you said waa most likely. As it make findamancy blue.

SteveMB
2007-04-03, 02:20 PM
Now that we know the eight schools of magic, I thought I’d take a crack at assigning colors.

Hippiemancy appears to be green.

I don't think we've actually seen Hippiemancy in use. So far we've seen:

1. The summoning spell -- blue (the scroll (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/erf0013.html), some of the FX (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/erf0017.html)) and red (some of the FX (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/erf0017.html), the aura around Parson (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/erf0018.html) immediately post-summoning) effects.
Type: Initially stated as Findamancy/Predictamancy (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/erf0005.html), later described as Finadmancy/Lookamancy (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/erf0036.html)

2. A healing spell -- blue effects (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/erf0022.html).
Type: Presumably Healomancy

3. Stanley's chained mancers -- blue effects (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/erf0024.html).
Type: Presumably Lookamancy (as inferred from their apparent recon function)

4. The Arkenhammer -- yellow (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/erf0026.html) and blue (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/erf0031.html) effects.
Type: Unknown (and possibly completely outside this classification as an artifact of the Titans rather than a mortal-created magic item)

5. Wanda's spell used in subjecting Jillian to "the very hard way" -- yellow (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/erf0030.html) effects.
Type: Unknown, possibly Thinkamancy or Foolamancy (to facilitate interrogation and generate a friendly attitude from the victim after the torture session (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/erf0036.html))

6. Wanda's spell used to make Mung remember "only the screams for mercy" -- yellow (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/erf0039.html) effects.
Type: Unknown, possibly Thinkamancy or Foolamancy (to control/erase thoughts)

7. The message hats -- purple and green (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/erf0010.html) effects.
Type: Presumably Hat Magic, but possibly a form of Eyemancy (similar function to the eyebooks used by Stanley's side) or Findamancy (to summon a message)

Scientivore
2007-04-03, 02:31 PM
The Hippiemancy land on page 11:1 (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/erf0011.html) was green. The sparklies of the Healomancy spell on page 22:1 (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/erf0022.html) appear white (on my monitor) against light backgrounds and acquire a blueish cast against dark backgrounds, so they're probably actually turquoise (or teal). If the still-unknown spells that Wanda cast on Jillian and Mung were from Spookism instead of Eyemancy then chionophile's element-based colors work, otherwise I don't see any way to make it all fit -- not even with using an RGB scheme instead.

SteveMB
2007-04-03, 03:17 PM
The Hippiemancy land on page 11:1 (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/erf0011.html) was green. The sparklies of the Healomancy spell on page 22:1 (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/erf0022.html) appear white (on my monitor) against light backgrounds and acquire a blueish cast against dark backgrounds, so they're probably actually turquoise (or teal).

Hmmm... looking at the Healomancy effects, you have a point.

If the still-unknown spells that Wanda cast on Jillian and Mung were from Spookism instead of Eyemancy then chionophile's element-based colors work, otherwise I don't see any way to make it all fit -- not even with using an RGB scheme instead.

The item I missed earlier and added to my post above (the message hat effects in purple and green, with the colors not noticeably dependent on background) adds another potential complication.

chionophile
2007-04-03, 03:35 PM
With regard to the message hat, while there is a tinge of green visible (along with primary yellow and purple effects), I think that the sound effects accompanying the hat are more significant - it says "Poof" in purple when the message disappears and "Foop" in yellow when the message reappears.

SteveMB
2007-04-03, 04:31 PM
With regard to the message hat, while there is a tinge of green visible (along with primary yellow and purple effects), I think that the sound effects accompanying the hat are more significant - it says "Poof" in purple when the message disappears and "Foop" in yellow when the message reappears.
Hmmm... the "FOOP" definitely looks greenish-yellow to me, as distinguished from the purer yellow of the spells Wanda uses on Jillian and Mung (if anything, the latter tinges a bit toward orange).

Also, the portals (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/erf0013.html) of Portal Park show quite a variety of colors, even though they all presumably perform the same function.

Nazzo, the 102nd
2007-04-03, 05:27 PM
I guess we can look at this from the opposites point of view.

That speech bubble was pointing to Hippiemancy [Life and Matter], and by Parson's table on the eyebook, the opposite is Spookism [Motion]. The we can suppose Spookism is black.

Nazzo, the 102nd
2007-04-03, 05:40 PM
Okay, forget the post before this one. Here's my shot:

Green - Hippiemancy (Lf + Mt)
Blue - Hocus Pocus (Lf)
Yellow - Clevermancy ()
Purple - Stuffamancy (Mt)
Black - Naughtymancy (Mo + Mt)
Teal - Spookism (Mo)
Red - Eyemancy (Lf + Mo)
Orange - Stagemancy (Lf + Mo + Mt)

This is based on the fact that Hippiemancy is Green, and that neighbouring classes are just one step away from each other (either you add one of the three elements or remove one).

My opposites theory wouldn't work this way. :smallbiggrin: