PDA

View Full Version : Psionic Creatures Ripped Off From Other Media

tbok1992
2013-09-23, 04:05 AM
We all know that D&D ripped off a bunch of critters from other media. They took the Displacer Beast from the Coeurl, their trolls from Three Hearts and Three Lions, the Gamamroids and Bionoids from Spelljamemr from Gamer and The Guyver respectively, the Unrisen from 4e's Open Grave from Pet Semetary, and too many to list from Lord of the Rings.

So, I was wondering, why don't they rip off any of their psionics-using creatures from stuff in other media? Because, there's a ton of those. And that's what this topic is about, which psionic critters from media would work well if ripped off by D&D and how would they be adapted to the cosmology.

I'll start off with four. And just for fun, I won't give their names, just their descriptions and let you figure out which is which!

-This horrifying ever-growing ooze is created whenever a psionics-user's power goes beyond their control and influencing their bodies in hideous ways, most commonly happening in those who use recreational drugs to cope with their abilities. Their former consciousness is still present, but unable to do anything but scream for their former friends and able to feel the pain of all those they kill. One of the only ways to destroy one is to shunt it into a demiplane of its own, which some scholars speculate may be the origin of the infamous Neth.

-This undead-like is actually the lingering hatred of a psionicist who died in horrible pain. It infests itself in any artistic medium, whether it be literature, plays, paintings, or (on rare worlds) shadow-lantern shows. The images in these works are all invariably disturbing, and cause the viewer to be attacked by a ghastly figure resembling the deceased crawling out of any object related to that medium, which is near invincible and almost certain to cause the viewer's death. Any works written about this phenomenon will immediatley become a "vector" for the specific incedent they are describing.

-This catlike Monstrous Humanoid was created by a group of mages in an attempt to re-create the psionic being that may have been the origin of all life on earth. Unfortunately, they succeeded too well, and the creature killed them all and escaped.

The creature was recruited into a criminal society for a while, put into a suit of armor by the society's leader that secretly dampened his powers. When he caught on, he escaped in a rage. Now he lurks on a deserted island, secretly luring psionicists there so that he can create "superior" duplicates of them, in the hopes that he can create a world-dominating army of psychics, who he thinks are the true masters of the world.

-This intimidating silvery construct looks vaguely humanoid, but with bizarre tentacle-like arms and a visor in what seems to be its "head". It has a deadly plethora of psionic powers, including the ability to fire beams, create sheilds and sap psionic power points. There are several different variants, some weaker, some stronger, with the stronger variants all having in common the ability to use a psionic power very much equivalent to a Meteor Storm, simply known as a Starstorm.

It is said that these creatures are the creations of an alien being, raised by humans forcibly-abducted by his race. After the humans escaped and took the secrets of psionic power with them, this alien was forced by his people to invade the humans' planet, using these constructs as his minions.

Said alien was defeated once before by a human, who used his lingering sympathies for his parents to get him to retreat. This drove the alien being to try and become far more powerful so he could crush the flthy humans. But the power he sought was too great for him, and all he exists as now is a swirling mass of mindless; evil psionic energy barely contained by a bio-organic device, an almighty idiot.

So, can you guess which is which?

Waddacku
2013-09-23, 05:59 AM
Tetsuo, Sadako Yamamura, Mewtwo, Giygas.

tbok1992
2013-09-23, 06:51 PM
Ya got all but the last one right, though said last one's close. Think his minions, not him

So, anybody else want to contribute psionic critters from media that might make great D&D baddies?

The Oni
2013-09-24, 02:10 PM
Damn, I missed the first one. I've really got to get around to seeing that movie.

I'm guessing it's because Psionics came along after D&D was a big established thing and they had the time, money and resources to invent or cobble together their own monsters, rather than just stealing someone else's and painting them a different color.

Segev
2013-09-24, 03:17 PM
Akira...really isn't a good movie. I suspect it suffers largely from being compressed from a multi-volume manga into a single movie. I haven't tried reading the manga. I suggest you go that route over the movie, though, if only because I don't know for certain that the manga left me wanting the time I spent on it back. ^^; (And I like anime.)