PDA

View Full Version : Need feedback on omebrew spell

Melcar
2013-09-25, 11:42 AM
Hello...

After a lengthy post about epic magic and dispel and what not. I have re-written a spell of ine that I would like to have feedback on. Some of you might have read it in the lengthy post I was talking about, but I hope you will still provide some feedback on the matter. Thanks!

The spell I wish you to look at is the following:

Melcar’s Aurora
Transmutation
Level: Sor/wiz 9
Components: V, S, M
Casting Time: 1 standard action
Range: Personal
Target: You
Duration: 1 min/lvl
Saving Throw: None
Spell Resistance: No
This spell transmutes the caster into raw magical energy which resembles silver white flames that shines like a bright light in a 40ft. radius. The caster is now protected against any spell, spell-like or supernatural ability and effects that duplicate such to the extent of 50%. This transmutation furthermore provides the caster with spell resistance equal to caster level + intelligence or charisma modifier for wizards and sorcerers respectively and finally gives a + 2 circumstance bonus to spell DC, spell penetration and spell girding. Furthermore, if any dispel or disjunction spell or effect is used, against someone warded by Melcar’s Aurora – to remove a currently active spell or the spell itself – the caster can instead concentrate and channel magical energy to sustain currently active spells and block out the dispelling effect. This is an extraordinary ability (Ex) gained by Melcar’s Aurora which is a free action that can be used at will. This however is very straining and thusly causes 1d4 points of damage per total spell levels of ongoing spell effects which the caster wishes to sustain. This spell has a drawback though. The tremendous transmutation power unleashed by this spell, causes harm to the caster who thusly takes 1d6 points of damage each round.
Material Component: Blood from the caster.

Generel comments and especially about the (Ex) ability would be most welcome. Thanks again!

Amnoriath
2013-09-25, 12:29 PM
Some things are a little unclear:
1. What is meant by: " The caster is now protected against any spell, spell-like or supernatural ability and effects that duplicate such to the extent of 50%."
2. What is the concentration check to keep your active spells?
3. There is some mismatch in the language. The first couple of sentences indicate this is a physical transformation of the caster, then later you talk about someone being warded by it. Could they actually interpose themselves for others in the party?
4. Do they retain all their items and physical scores?

Djinn_in_Tonic
2013-09-25, 12:58 PM
First things first: please try to avoid putting homebrew in quote boxes. It makes it very difficult to copy/paste, as you can't quote other people quotes, and often people responding to your post will want to quote bits and pieces of the work in question.

That said, I'm going to try to reword this into a slightly more comprehensible format, as I'm not entirely sure what the spell does. Tell me if this is correct.

This spell transforms the caster into a being of raw magical energy, typically resembling nothing more than a vaguely humanoid form of silvery-white flames. While in this form, the caster illuminates a 40ft radius with bright light. Additionally, the caster gains a number of new abilities relating to his or her new form:

All spells, spell-like abilities, and supernatural abilities that replicate spell effects suffer a 50% failure chance when used against the caster of this spell. Other targets (if any) are unaffected by this failure.
The caster gains Spell Resistance equal to his or her caster level + (the higher of his or her Intelligence or Charisma modifier).
The caster gains a +2 bonus on Spell Penetration checks, and the save DCs for his or her spells increase by +2.
If the caster is subject to a dispel or disjunction effect that would successfully dispel a spell the caster has active, he or she may choose to take 1d4 damage per level of that spell. If he or she does, the spell remains unaffected (although this does not prevent future attempts to dispel the effects). This ability cannot prevent loss of magical power due to being in an antimagic field.
The caster suffers 1d6 points of damage each round from the strain of maintaining the magical effect. The caster may choose to take no damage instead, which immediately ends the spells duration.

If this is correct, I'm a bit worried by a few parts of it: namely Spell Resistance on top of a 50% negation chance (it's redundant and also punishes enemy casters hugely), and also the +2 bonus to save DCs (which can already get extremely high).

Basically, this spell seems like a "must have" spell for any caster duel ever, which probably means it could use some tweaking. Was the goal to represent a being now composed entirely of magic, or was the goal to specifically grant high-level anti-caster abilities? If the former, I think we could make this a little less static and a little more interesting. If the latter...well, I'm not really in support of that much "Just No" power in spells, but we can work with it.

Melcar
2013-09-25, 05:38 PM
First of all I want to thank you for you feedback.

Some things are a little unclear:
1. What is meant by: " The caster is now protected against any spell, spell-like or supernatural ability and effects that duplicate such to the extent of 50%."
2. What is the concentration check to keep your active spells?
3. There is some mismatch in the language. The first couple of sentences indicate this is a physical transformation of the caster, then later you talk about someone being warded by it. Could they actually interpose themselves for others in the party?
4. Do they retain all their items and physical scores?

1. What it means is: All spells spell-like and supernatural abilities AND any other magical "thing" that would somehow duplicate something that could be categorized in these three groups.

2. The active spells keep functioning normally. It’s a transmutation effect and has no effect on already ongoing spells or spells that the caster wishes to benefit from, like healing.

3. This is simply a mistake on my account. The spell can only be cast on one self. Hence the "Personal" target in the spell description.

4. physical scores are not affected, neither are items. Perhaps the caster should become incorporeal?

First things first: please try to avoid putting homebrew in quote boxes. It makes it very difficult to copy/paste, as you can't quote other people quotes, and often people responding to your post will want to quote bits and pieces of the work in question.

That said, I'm going to try to reword this into a slightly more comprehensible format, as I'm not entirely sure what the spell does. Tell me if this is correct.

This spell transforms the caster into a being of raw magical energy, typically resembling nothing more than a vaguely humanoid form of silvery-white flames. While in this form, the caster illuminates a 40ft radius with bright light. Additionally, the caster gains a number of new abilities relating to his or her new form:

All spells, spell-like abilities, and supernatural abilities that replicate spell effects suffer a 50% failure chance when used against the caster of this spell. Other targets (if any) are unaffected by this failure.
The caster gains Spell Resistance equal to his or her caster level + (the higher of his or her Intelligence or Charisma modifier).
The caster gains a +2 bonus on Spell Penetration checks, and the save DCs for his or her spells increase by +2.
If the caster is subject to a dispel or disjunction effect that would successfully dispel a spell the caster has active, he or she may choose to take 1d4 damage per level of that spell. If he or she does, the spell remains unaffected (although this does not prevent future attempts to dispel the effects). This ability cannot prevent loss of magical power due to being in an antimagic field.
The caster suffers 1d6 points of damage each round from the strain of maintaining the magical effect. The caster may choose to take no damage instead, which immediately ends the spells duration.

If this is correct, I'm a bit worried by a few parts of it: namely Spell Resistance on top of a 50% negation chance (it's redundant and also punishes enemy casters hugely), and also the +2 bonus to save DCs (which can already get extremely high).

Basically, this spell seems like a "must have" spell for any caster duel ever, which probably means it could use some tweaking. Was the goal to represent a being now composed entirely of magic, or was the goal to specifically grant high-level anti-caster abilities? If the former, I think we could make this a little less static and a little more interesting. If the latter...well, I'm not really in support of that much "Just No" power in spells, but we can work with it.

I wont [quote] my spells write-ups any more!

You are right on most accounts. The spell is indeed meant as a high end wizard duel spell, and yes SR and 50% chance of negating any spell effect is powerful and that is why it has a damage factor included.

You have left out spell girding in your re-write of it. Any reason for that? Also, you have not specified what kind of bonus this gives.

Also you write: "supernatural abilities that replicate spell effects..." I'm fearful that this could lead to some heated discussions about what resembles a spell and what not. That’s the reason for me including all supernatural abilities... Would that be too much?

Further comments will be much appreciated!!!

Max Caysey
2013-09-26, 06:57 AM
That is an exceedingly powerful spell! Damn! I personally think, that the material cost is useless and boring. And the duration wrong. I would find some cool materieal to go with the bood thing, and have a duration of max 1 round per level.

Other than that, I think the idea is good!

Melcar
2013-09-26, 03:52 PM
What interesting component do you propose? Perhaps some focus of a silver knife or something. Let me know what you think!

Jyton
2013-09-27, 03:37 AM
I have to agree that min/level is a bit much. I can do a LOT with 20 or 30 minutes (because let's face it, in a game with this spell available, I'm going to be boosting my CL.) of virtual spell immunity. Granted 300d6 is a lot of damage... Unless you pick up any of the multiple items, feats, racial traits or spells that grant DR.

To begin with, I would reduce this to round/level, max 20 rounds. If that doesn't fit with your vision, I would add something to the effect of "this damage cannot be negated or redirected in any way."

Melcar
2013-09-27, 10:55 AM
I have to agree that min/level is a bit much. I can do a LOT with 20 or 30 minutes (because let's face it, in a game with this spell available, I'm going to be boosting my CL.) of virtual spell immunity. Granted 300d6 is a lot of damage... Unless you pick up any of the multiple items, feats, racial traits or spells that grant DR.

To begin with, I would reduce this to round/level, max 20 rounds. If that doesn't fit with your vision, I would add something to the effect of "this damage cannot be negated or redirected in any way."

Thanks for the comments.

First of all. The 1d6 damage was supposed to be unnegatable since it was a cost of merging with the surounding magical energies. I dont like to set a fixed max level on the duration but 1 round per level it will be redced to.

I have personally had a hard time finding ways of boosting CL beyond HD, but I surely see you point in doing so!

How does the whole "extend HP to surstain spells through dispel and disjunction effecs" sit with you???

Thanks again!

Jyton
2013-09-27, 01:20 PM
Thanks for the comments.

First of all. The 1d6 damage was supposed to be unnegatable since it was a cost of merging with the surounding magical energies.

I get that, which is why I said something. That's your RAI, how it's supposed to work, but this is a RAW game, and by RAW, damage is damage. If you don't want this spells only meaningful drawback to be that easily avoidable, you need to say so.

I have personally had a hard time finding ways of boosting CL beyond HD, but I surely see you point in doing so!

Just google it. Infinite CL is possible, CL in the hundreds is easy, that's what we have GMs for, to say no sometimes :P

How does the whole "extend HP to surstain spells through dispel and disjunction effecs" sit with you???

Thanks again!

In theory, just fine. The problem is it's so easy to get around. You don't even need fast healing or anything fancy, a couple healing potions and you're good. Granted, that may mean you only get 17 or 18 standard actions across the duration of the spell instead of your full allotment, but that's a small price to pay.

Melcar
2013-09-27, 02:21 PM
In theory, just fine. The problem is it's so easy to get around. You don't even need fast healing or anything fancy, a couple healing potions and you're good. Granted, that may mean you only get 17 or 18 standard actions across the duration of the spell instead of your full allotment, but that's a small price to pay.

True...

Im almost afraid to ask due to some pretty clear thought of my fellow scribes here :smallsmile: but I have got to know, if I'm the only one who would think that this would affect Epic Dispel? Personally I would rule, after much thought, that epic dispel would cost 2d4 per spell level instead of the "normal" 1d4.

Again, as always thanks for commenting!

Max Caysey
2013-09-28, 04:24 PM
True...

Im almost afraid to ask due to some pretty clear thought of my fellow scribes here :smallsmile: but I have got to know, if I'm the only one who would think that this would affect Epic Dispel? Personally I would rule, after much thought, that epic dispel would cost 2d4 per spell level instead of the "normal" 1d4.

Again, as always thanks for commenting!

Maybe this spell is OP enough? Let the Epic Spell seed take this one down!