PDA

View Full Version : Wow me with your flight spells

Julius
2006-12-28, 01:43 PM
I'm working on an aerial campaign, and want to make magical flight more accessable to the PCs. Problem is, I'm having trouble thinking up of spells that do it.

I'm looking for primarily low level spells (1 thru 3) to add. Help?

Duke of URL
2006-12-28, 02:26 PM
Well, the good news is you don't really need a Druid spell. They should be able to Wild Shape into a bird by level 5 (spell level 3). :smallbiggrin:

Valairn
2006-12-28, 02:31 PM
If flight is so important in the world, you can just house rule that the spells are lower level for it. I'm sure a culture that needed flying a lot would invent better ways of casting the spells required for it. It depends on your campaign flavor though.

jlousivy
2006-12-28, 02:38 PM
I'd suggest ariel mounts or a modified 'floating disk' spell (like it has no max height above the ground requirement)
It could work sorta like Sonic 2's plane level (if any of you remember it?)

fangthane
2006-12-28, 03:21 PM
Reduce Impulse
Transmutation
Level: Sor/Wiz 1
Components: V,S
Casting Time: 1 standard action
Range: Touch
Target: One living creature touched per 2 caster levels
Duration: 10 minutes/level (D)
Saving Throw: Fortitude negates
Spell Resistance: Yes
Each affected creature (and its gear) becomes incredibly light and buoyant. Affected creatures' land movement speeds are reduced by half, they receive +10 to all jump checks, do not sustain falling damage (as if affected by a feather fall spell) and receive -8 penalties on all checks related to trip attempts, bull rushes, grapple attempts or any other check involving their mass, inertia or leverage. Affected creatures are completely unable to swim except at the surface, and affected creatures with a fly speed receive +10 to their flight speed but reduce their maneuverability by one category. Affected creatures pulled, lifted or carried weigh effectively 1/25 of their normal weight, including equipment.

Blimp
Transmutation
Level: Sor/Wiz 2
Components: V, S, F
Range: Personal
Target: You
Duration: 10 minutes/level (D)
Saving Throw: No
Spell Resistance: No
Upon casting this spell, the caster's form undergoes a strange transformation, becoming obese and distending itself into a fat, horizontally-floating cigar-like shape. Limbs tuck back into the overall form but can still be used to cast and perform minor tasks, though strenuous exertion such as combat is impossible. The caster receives a fly speed of 10, cannot run or charge, and may lift as much as 50 pounds of load for each two caster levels; any weight in excess of the character's normal maximum load must be affixed securely using ropes or other means. Strong wind may add or remove up to 10 feet to the caster's flight speed in Blimp form.
Focus: a small wooden propeller, affixed to the caster's face and spun rapidly as part of the spell's somatic component.
"With a strong headwind, about all I can manage to do is hover!" - The Blimp, Inferior 5.

There you go... Use Reduce Impulse to decrease the inertia of the people you need to transport, then Blimp yourself and drag them to where they need to be. :) It's agonisingly slow compared to Fly, but that's what you get at first and second level, right? :)

Jack_Simth
2006-12-28, 08:40 PM
Levitate and Gust of Wind are both 2nd level spells. Levitate to keep you in the air, Gust of Wind to move around.

Boots of Levitation: On command, these leather boots allow the wearer to levitate as if she had cast levitate on herself.
Faint transmutation; CL 3rd; Craft Wondrous Item, levitate; Price 7,500 gp;Weight 1 lb.

Add on a

Decanter of Endless Water: If the stopper is removed from this ordinary-looking flask and a command word spoken, an amount of fresh or salt water pours out. Separate command words determine the type as well as the volume and velocity.
“Stream” pours out 1 gallon per round.
“Fountain” produces a 5-foot-long stream at 5 gallons per round.
“Geyser” produces a 20-foot-long, 1-foot-wide stream at 30 gallons per round.The geyser effect causes considerable back pressure, requiring the holder to make a DC 12 Strength check to avoid being knocked down. The force of the geyser deals 1d4 points of damage but can only affect one target per round. The command word must be spoken to stop it.
Moderate transmutation; CL 9th; Craft Wondrous Item, control water; Price 9,000 gp;Weight 2 lb.
And you have a propulsion mechanism to go with it. Or just have a flying familiar drag you around. Or arrange for the party to have flying mounts. Or whatever.

The Demented One
2006-12-28, 08:51 PM
I'm reminded of Super Mario Sunshine by that last post for some odd reason.

fangthane
2006-12-28, 11:59 PM
Levitate and Gust of Wind are both 2nd level spells. Levitate to keep you in the air, Gust of Wind to move around.

Add on a

And you have a propulsion mechanism to go with it. Or just have a flying familiar drag you around. Or arrange for the party to have flying mounts. Or whatever.
Hmm, the boots and decanter don't look much like Homebrewed flight mechanisms available to most 1-3 level characters though, do they? :smallbiggrin:

Not that I'm making light of your suggestion just to make my Homebrewed (points at title of forum) solution look better or anything... :smallamused:

Actually, Gust of Wind reminds me of something else I intended for the Blimp spell...

Fizban
2006-12-29, 01:49 AM
There's Swift Flight, effectively a 2nd level 1 round fly spell with a swift action casting time. Watch out for spells from Dragon Magic though, there's a 1st levle one that ups the fly speed of a flight granting spell by 30', and some druid spells somewhere that can increase mobility. Also, take a look at the Planar Handbook, for the Air Mephling race. +1 LA and has 10' perfect fly speed. Races of the dragon has feats for dragonblood characters to get wings, and there is of course the raptoran race from Races of the Wild.

Low level flight spells generally don't exist though, since combat flight kinda defeats..combat. That blimp spell is a nice compromise.

The Vorpal Tribble
2006-12-29, 02:07 AM
Did this one some time ago. Its not a spell, but can be adjusted from psionics to magic if needbe.

Patagium
Psychometabolism
Level: Egoist 2
Display: Visual
Manifesting Time: 1 standard action
Duration: 1 min/level
Power Points: 3

The skin along your sides and arms thickens and stretches until a large, loose flap hangs loose, blowing in the wind...

You grow a set of elastic membranes that grants you a minimal gliding ability. You negate all damage from a fall of any height as well as allowing 20 feet of forward travel for every 5 feet of descent. You may glide at a speed of 40 feet (poor maneuverability). Even if the manifester's maneuverability improves by augmentation, the manifester can't hover while gliding. The manifester can't glide while carrying a medium or heavy load.
If the manifester becomes unconscious or helpless while in midair they fall as normal from their current height.
Augment: You can augment this power in one or both of the following ways.
1. For every two power points you spend your maneuverability increases by one category to a maximum of Good.
2. If you spend 2 additional power points you grow special ligaments within the skin flaps that stiffens when the manifester is rendered unconscious or helpless. The manifester descends in a tight corkscrew and takes only 1d6 points of falling damage, no matter the actual distance of the fall.
3. If you spend 4 additional power points the ligaments harden into a bone-like structure, granting you a true fly speed of 40 feet (poor maneuverability).

Jack_of_Spades
2006-12-29, 02:12 AM
Here's an idea I had. It's not flying, but it's areal aid.

Tenser's Helping Hands
Conjuration
Level: Sor/Wiz 1
Components: V,S
Casting Time: 1 swift action
Range: none
Target: Self
Duration: 1 minutes/level (D)
Saving Throw: none
Spell Resistance: no

You reach your hand out and are held in place. You are able to swing from one hodl to another.

Tenser's helping hands creates invisible hands of force that help lift the caster into the air. This spell is cast in the air, and when completed a hand grabs onto one of the caster's hands. He may then reach out to grab another and another until the spell expires or he reaches solid ground. The effect looks like the caster appears to be going across invisible monkey bars or an invisible ladder. The caster can move using a successful climb check as normal; failure even on a natural 1 means that no progress is made.

Roderick_BR
2006-12-29, 05:14 AM
It would be interesting if the characters had access for low-level magic itens that allowed flight, or maybe winged creatures. Or, as Valairn said, make flight spells low level.
Take off the cap on the floating disk, make the floating spell a 2nd level spell that allows you to move horizontally, and from 3rd level onward they can use better flight spells.

@fangthane: You have no idea how much your Blimp spell made me laugh :smallbiggrin:

horacegoesskiing
2006-12-29, 06:08 AM
How about this?

Flatulence
Transmutation
Level: Sor/Wiz/Dru 2
Target: One living creature touched
Duration: 20 minutes/level
Saving Throw: Fortitude negates
Spell Resistance: Yes

Arcane Focus: A bag of lentils

Poor maneuverability flight 40 feet at will

Target must fly for 40 feets at least once in 5 minutes while in effect of the spell, otherwise becomes nauseated until he flies or the effect of the spell ends.

Maximum duration of the effect is either the spell duration or 10min/con modifier of the target. Whichever is shorter.

Nightclaws
2006-12-29, 04:45 PM
Summon Giant Eagle
Conjuration
Level: Sor/Wiz/War/Dru 2
Duration: 5 minutes/level (D)
Upon casting this spell, the caster jumps into the air to land on a large bird with black feathers, red eyes, and an ivory beak, The caster can reach a flight speed of 15
Focus: A large black feather.

Triaxx
2006-12-29, 08:58 PM
Wizards Wing
Enchantment
Level: S/W 2
Components: V, S, XP
Target: Self
Duration: 2 rounds/level
Upon casting this spell, the Wizard or Sorceror is granted a pair of wings for the duration of the spell, granting a flight speed of 10' with poor manueverability.

---

Nightclaws? Why do Warriors get Summon Giant Eagle?

MeklorIlavator
2006-12-29, 09:14 PM
I belive that he meant Warmage when he said "War"

horacegoesskiing
2006-12-29, 09:32 PM
warlock more likely.