PDA

View Full Version : [Spoiler] Why does Jillian keep getting captured?

Doshi
2006-12-28, 02:41 PM
Jillian gets captured so frequently that Anson specifically complained about it on page 8. And she's apparently willing to risk capture, given that she could have used her Gwiffon's superior speed to flee from that flight of Dwagons.
So why is she captured so often? Is she just careless, or could Jillian have an ulterior motive? Maybe she's a double agent, and let's herself be captured periodically, so that she can report back to Stanley?

Om
2006-12-28, 03:27 PM
I'd go with "stereotypical aggressive warrior". To my mind her actions in strip 12 were stupid. That's ignoring the recon nature of her mission. Jillian can be vulnerable, see the last panels of strip 8, but give her a sword...

chionophile
2006-12-28, 03:59 PM
I don't think she could have fled; I suspect dwagons are faster than gwiffons. See page 8, "Except for dwagons". That and she loves fighting too much to pass up the opportunity.

Demented
2006-12-28, 04:57 PM
It's in the nature of heroes to go where the odds don't favor them. Generally, they do this on the (correct) assumption they're better than anything they face on the battlefield. Of course, that attitude doesn't fare you so well in a 1:5 against Dwagons.

eilandesq
2006-12-28, 07:18 PM
I don't think she could have fled; I suspect dwagons are faster than gwiffons. See page 8, "Except for dwagons". That and she loves fighting too much to pass up the opportunity.

More the latter, I would think. Ansom's whole purpose for sending the orlies with her seemed to be to serve as chaff; in other words, to distract dwagons while she retreated. Admittedly, he should have known that hoping that she would actually take advantage of that opportunity was rather optimistic, but you can't blame the guy for trying.

Yogi
2006-12-28, 10:45 PM
She looks to be overly agressive in fighting the enemies, just doesn't know when to quit. Don't know why she doesn't get killed instead of only captured though.

Shadowdweller
2006-12-31, 10:03 PM
Or perhaps: She's trying to escape Ansom's unwelcome attentions or repeated chivalrous but chauvinistic disrespect (possibly to the point of defecting).

Maurog
2006-12-31, 11:38 PM
She did mention she is trying to avoid unwanted engagements...

The_Werebear
2007-01-02, 12:51 AM
I would think she just likes to kill stuff too much. That, or enjoys the challenge of escaping.

Furin_Mirado
2007-01-02, 09:29 AM
It could be that she just enjoys fighting too much. Perhaps she thought that the orlies would delay the other dwagons long enough for her to kill the blue one and escape. Or perhaps she dislikes Ansom so much that she's willing to be captured just to get away from him. After all, she'll just get freed when Gobwin Knob gets taken, right?

Om
2007-01-02, 03:39 PM
She did mention she is trying to avoid unwanted engagements...
I think that was directed more towards Ansom than the enemy :smallwink:

Legendary
2007-01-03, 04:00 AM
Or perhaps: She's trying to escape Ansom's unwelcome attentions or repeated chivalrous but chauvinistic disrespect (possibly to the point of defecting).

I don't think you're looking at him in the right way at all. His attentions were not unreasonable, and he didn't force the issue. They weren't exactly unwanted either, she ALMOST accepted. Her comment about avoiding engagements was avoiding him giving her orders she didn't like.

And chauvinistic disrespect? It may or may not be disrespect, I see it as a commanding officer dealing with an unruly and 'barbaric' personality, who is likely to jump into battle without thinking. To keep an eye on her and her tendencies, he sends a strong force after her so that she won't get herself captured AGAIN. It has nothing to do with her being a girl.

It's Ansom showing competance and understanding of his underlings.

Moechi_Vill
2007-01-03, 07:31 AM
Overly feministic.

Shadowdweller
2007-01-03, 04:34 PM
And chauvinistic disrespect? It may or may not be disrespect, I see it as a commanding officer dealing with an unruly and 'barbaric' personality, who is likely to jump into battle without thinking. To keep an eye on her and her tendencies, he sends a strong force after her so that she won't get herself captured AGAIN. It has nothing to do with her being a girl.

It's Ansom showing competance and understanding of his underlings.
Those traits are not necessarily incompatible. Notwithstanding that how YOU see Ansom is not necessarily how SHE sees Ansom.

MinusInnocence
2007-01-04, 06:05 AM
Maybe the story will reveal she's only inconsistently awesome... in fact, she is comically awful most of the time and gets captured because she can't help it. It would be great if "the good guys" (as I've seen them referred to before) relied on people like her to win the war.

Anyway, whether she's a noob or not, things seem to be going rather well, the dude with the toy hammer is breaking the bank for a new general.

Frosty Flake
2007-01-04, 11:10 PM
Maybe her almost-uncontrolled lusting for Ansom is consuming her from the inside, driving her to lash out violently against the world using any measly excuse (like war) possible and even unconciously hoping to get captured so that she will not have to control the emotions she has towards her dashing cammanding officer... or maybe she just used wisdom as her dump-stat.