PDA

View Full Version : Soul Bound mask idea

Mislead Prophet
2013-09-27, 11:52 AM
I have a player who wants to do an idea like Dr Fates from comics. Basically, his soul would be set inside of a mask. I could classify it as a Cursed Item because he would have the ability to take control of the body it is placed into. I was curious how the best way to go about this.

We were going to have him be a Wizard, and have him keep his Wisdom, Intelligence and Charisma scores for each host. However, depending on the Host, the physical stats would change.

I was going to throw out the book, and just have him meditate each day to study his spells. Each level, he would gain the spells, as he would normally, and his Will save would increase. But things like Feats really wouldnt continue to each host, at least, I dont think so.

I was curious, though, despite the idea of having a crappy host, what negatives would I give. Obviously, being in a new body would have drawbacks. Just because your body CAN do something, doesnt mean you know how to use it.

We also had an idea of if he gets hit with a crit, the host gets another roll to resist control, like a shock to the system.

I was curious if any of you had potential ideas for this character build. And also, how I would do his original buyin points because obviously, hes only using 3 stats. Maybe cut the buyin points in half?

Lappy9001
2013-09-27, 12:05 PM
You could use some of the possession rules from the Eberron Campaign Setting (pg 100). It has rules to passively observe the host, control them directly, or just benefit them by providing ability bonuses. They even have rules for possessed objects, suitable because your wizard is bound to a mask.

I like the idea of a critical hit bashing him out, but the Eberron rules above work nicely too because he would have to take time to fully acclimate to each new body.

Mislead Prophet
2013-09-27, 12:11 PM
Yeah, we had an idea of each new host would take time adjusting.

I was also curious what we could do to balance out the whole feat compensation, since I dont see it following.

Basically, how would leveling up go, beyond just new spells.

Lappy9001
2013-09-27, 12:22 PM
Maybe not let him have any? He'd have to rely on each host for abilities, providing real incentive to keep them alive. The basics for the 'ally' possession listed in the ECS are:

Provides a +4 bonus to the host
Can speak telepathically with the host. He'd need to find a host he gets along with, and just tell them what to do. Otherwise, switch to 'controller'. Where he could force the control with standard actions.

I'd give the party a friendly cohort to start off who is (for whatever reason) loyal to the caster. It could be especially amusing if the friendly host is dim-witted (as opposed to an intelligent caster). Either way, he could attempt to assert control over others, and possibly form new allies. In a pinch, he could always assist another party member.

Mislead Prophet
2013-09-27, 12:25 PM
Interesting.

Did they have set negatives for controlling a host? Obviously, being in a new body and all.

Lappy9001
2013-09-27, 12:36 PM
I know they gotta maintain control if they are trying to directly manipulate the host. I believe it's:

(DC 10 + 1/2 fiend’s HD + fiend’s Cha modifier + 1 for each previous failed save against control that day)

As-is, they can't do much more than control the creature, ride along passively (making mental 'hide' checke to avoid alignment detecting spells), ally with, or control the creature. You may wanna allow his spells to filter in as he becomes acclimated. The possession rules also mention that he would be affected by anything that affects the host (if the host is elf and he's a human, he'd be affected by things that effecte elves). Definitely check it out, there's like 4 pages dedicated to possession rules.

Plato Play-Doh
2013-09-27, 12:41 PM
Luckily, there's already rules for taking over another body.

Mind switch (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/powers/mindSwitch.htm)

Feats are things that you've learned to do. It's your skill, which is a mental thing, not a physical thing. Soooo...yeah, that's how you do that. (Kinda.)

Now, just apply some negatives to adjusting into a body, all the stuff you've been talking about here, and voila!:smallbiggrin:

Edit: And, obviously, get rid of the "swap" part.

Mislead Prophet
2013-09-27, 12:43 PM
Will do, sounds like a good rule set.

Beyond that, how do you the ideas of taking negatives to certain skill checks for an amount of time. Like -2 for the first day, -1 for the next day, and then fully become used to the body.

Basically, he wants a useable character, with chances to **** up. Like, maybe misfires with spells, or cast incorrect spells, such and such.

Lappy9001
2013-09-27, 12:47 PM
Will do, sounds like a good rule set.

Beyond that, how do you the ideas of taking negatives to certain skill checks for an amount of time. Like -2 for the first day, -1 for the next day, and then fully become used to the body.

Basically, he wants a useable character, with chances to **** up. Like, maybe misfires with spells, or cast incorrect spells, such and such.Reasonably, he wouldn't take arcane spell failure from the host (he's not wearing the armor after all), but maybe he'd need to make Concentration checks more often?

And I definitely like the skill idea. Under the ECS possession rules, the possessor can be booted out after 3 successful saves from the host. I wouldn't go this route, and making a lesser penalty seems like a much better idea (since him getting kicked out is basically "well, can't use your character for 1 day!")

Mislead Prophet
2013-09-27, 01:02 PM
I do like the idea of not apply armor checks, that is pretty nice.

What do you think would make sense for skill negatives. All skills that apply to dex and str? And how much at first and drop down each day?

-4 for day one, then -3, ect? For four days?

Obviously, needing to rely on the host itself for hp, and all that. Would AC be effected at all?

Again, just trying to build ideas for this concept. Anything is welcomed.

Lappy9001
2013-09-27, 01:09 PM
Honestly, the skill penalty is pretty negligible and you don't want to punish him too much. 3 or 4 days sounds good though so he doesn't just hop bodies all the time. Yeah, I'd imagine HP and AC would remain the same, he can buff it with his spells if he needs to.

Be sure to keep the player in the loop so that it doesn't stray too far from his character concept.

Mislead Prophet
2013-09-27, 01:12 PM
Yeah, Im just basically keeping up ideas for all the flaws and positives hes taking for this character. No feats, and negatives for new body, but a lot of spell useage, and less penalties for said spells seems like an even trade.

Though, at the end of the day, this is merely rping flaws, with some annoyances of changing bodies.

Arcanist
2013-09-27, 01:19 PM
WELL my roommate is a bit busy so I have nothing to do so... Sure! I'll take a crack at it :smallbiggrin:

Soul Bound Mask
Price: 18,000gp
Body Slot: Face
Caster level: 17 + 1/5 of the creatures HD.
Aura: Various Conjuration (DC 15 + 1/5 of the creatures HD).
Activation: -; Full-Round action (Verbal)
Weight: -

Designed by Lazarous, The One and based upon the method by which Binders bind vestiges into themselves and how demon worshipers merge their souls with outsiders, these magical items are used to access the power of their trapped victims.

This blank mask appears entirely inconspicuous, however upon closer observation, these masks have what are called "Blank bindings" which are circles used by Binders to call upon the powers of unknown vestiges (be they living or dead). As a Full-Round action, the user can focus the powers of the mask upon a single target and trap them into the mask as through a Trap the Soul spell. For all intents and purposes thereafter the mask functions as the vessel to a Trap the Soul spell (DC 22 + 1 for every Full-Round action taken to activate this). The face of the victim becomes the new face for the mask.

By wearing the mask the user can access a 5th of the bound creatures powers to a maximum of their HD. For example, if a 20th level Wizard is trapped inside of the mask, the wearer can prepare spells and create a familiar as if they were a 4th level Wizard, however if the wearer is only 1st level, the maximum spell and familiar they may access is as a 1st level Wizard.

Special alterations to a mask can be made to allow the wearer to use the creatures full power, however the price for this is multiplied pending on the adjustment (1/5th = x1, 1/4th = x2, 1/3rd = x3, 1/2 = x4, whole = x5). Either way, the

Alternatively, this can be used to bind Outsiders if the whole price is payed. This allows the wearer to access any Spell-like abilities, Psi-like abilities, Extraordinary abilities and Supernatural abilities the Outsider might have. By taking 1 Con damage for every 2 HD the Outsider has you can also access any natural abilities and natural weapons they might have. This use only works on Outsiders with the Extraplanar subtype.

You may not use any abilities obtained by this item to qualify for any feat, prestige class or template.

Prerequisites: Craft Wondrous Items, Bind Elements; Greater Planar Binding, Trap the Soul.

Cost to Make: 9,000gp; 18 days; 720xp.

Not certain about this item since I made it on the fly. Thoughts, comments, opinions? I'm contemplating making this item deal negative levels to the wearer when it is removed or, more likely, sundered off their face.