PDA

View Full Version : [PF] Paladin Archetype: Blessed Pugilist (PEACH)

Luckmann
2013-09-27, 07:12 PM
Been having this in my head for a while, along with another Archetype that I would like to make in order to realize a concept. However, with very little actual play experience with Pathfinder, I would love some comments or pointers.

So please tell me if something is off.

Blessed Pugilist:
Some Paladins eschew the sword, the spear, the axe and the hammer, preferring to instead embody more primal ideals, focusing on the their hands and the armour-clad gauntlet that surrounds their sacred fists.

The Blessed Pugilist has the following class features.

Weapon and Armor Proficiency
A blessed pugilist is proficient with Brass Knuckles, Punching Daggers, Cestus, Gauntlets, Spiked Gauntlets, as well as all other fist-like weapons and gauntlets, and with all types of armour (heavy, medium, and light).

This replaces the normal paladin armor, shield and weapon proficiencies.

Flurry of Fists (Ex)
Starting at 1st level, a pugilist can make a flurry of fists as a full-attack action.

When doing so, he may make one additional attack, taking a –2 penalty on all of his attack rolls, as if using the Two-Weapon Fighting feat. These attacks can be any combination of unarmed strikes and attacks with fist-like weapons.

As opposed to a monk utilizing the similar Flurry of Blows, he must use both his hands and whatever (fist-) weapons that are in them.

For the purpose of these attacks, the pugilist's base attack bonus from his paladin class levels is equal to his paladin level. For all other purposes, such as qualifying for a feat or a prestige class, the pugilist uses his normal base attack bonus.

At 8th level, the pugilist can make two additional attacks when he uses flurry of fists, as if using Improved Two-Weapon Fighting (even if the monk does not meet the prerequisites for the feat).

At 15th level, the pugilist can make three additional attacks using flurry of fists, as if using Greater Two-Weapon Fighting (even if the pugilist does not meet the prerequisites for the feat).

A pugilist applies his full Strength bonus to his damage rolls for all successful attacks made with flurry of fists, whether the attacks are made with a main-hand or off-hand (fist-) weapon. A pugilist may substitute disarm and bull rush combat manoeuvres for unarmed attacks as part of a flurry of fists.

A pugilist cannot use any weapon other than an unarmed strike or an associated fist-weapon (such as spiked gauntlets, cestus, brass knuckles or punching daggers) as part of a flurry of fists. A pugilist with natural weapons cannot use such weapons as part of a flurry of fists, nor can he make natural attacks in addition to his flurry of fists attacks.

This replaces Aura of Good

Ironclad Fist
At 1st level, a pugilist gains Improved Unarmed Strike as a bonus feat.
Note that pugilist utilizing a (fist-) weapon of any kind does not count as unarmed. A pugilist attacks with his arms and fists. This means that a pugilist may not make unarmed strikes or utilize (fist-) weapons with his hands full.

There is no such thing as an off-hand attack for a pugilist striking unarmed or with (fist-) weapons. A pugilist may thus apply his full Strength bonus on damage rolls for all his unarmed strikes or attacks with (fist-) weapons.

Usually a pugilist's unarmed strikes deal lethal damage, but he can choose to deal nonlethal damage instead with no penalty on his attack roll. Note that this does not apply when using any kind of weapon. He has the same choice to deal lethal or nonlethal damage while grappling.

A pugilist does not deal more damage with his unarmed strikes than a normal person would, but instead increases the amount of damage done with (fist-) weapons by one step, to a minimum of 1d4, as per the table below.

For every 4th level (4, 8, 12, 16, 20) the minimum increases by 1 step (1d4 at level 1, 1d6 at level 4, 1d10 at level 8, 2d6 at level 12, 2d8 at level 16, 2d10 at level 20).

Table: 1d6, 1d8, 1d10, 2d6, 2d8, 2d10, 3d8, 4d6, 4d8.

In addition, the critical range and multiplier of any (fist-) weapon is increased by 1, to a maximum result of 19-20/×3. Weapons may still have higher critical range or multiplier independent of this bonus.

This replaces Channel Positive Energy.

The objective of this Archetype is obvious; to be able to play a Paladin utilizing gauntlets or other punch-/fist-weapons in much the same ways a Monk can utilize his own fists.

Overpowered, underpowered, what did I break, what doesn't make sense?

Any feedback whatsoever would be greatly appreciated.

Amnoriath
2013-09-27, 10:27 PM
Been having this in my head for a while, along with another Archetype that I would like to make in order to realize a concept. However, with very little actual play experience with Pathfinder, I would love some comments or pointers.

So please tell me if something is off.

Blessed Pugilist:
Some Paladins eschew the sword, the spear, the axe and the hammer, preferring to instead embody more primal ideals, focusing on the their hands and the armour-clad gauntlet that surrounds their sacred fists.

The Blessed Pugilist has the following class features.

The objective of this Archetype is obvious; to be able to play a Paladin utilizing gauntlets or other punch-/fist-weapons in much the same ways a Monk can utilize his own fists.

Overpowered, underpowered, what did I break, what doesn't make sense?

Any feedback whatsoever would be greatly appreciated.
If anything you leave more questions to what is left with the changes you made. The aura of x alignment is a side of effect of being devoted to gods or said alignment. So, unless you are getting rid of a lot of the Lawful Good Paladin stuff technically you can't remove it. Also Channel Positive energy is at level 4 so I don't think you can replace something 3 levels before they have the chance to get it. Though I don't see any actual play problems with it.

3WhiteFox3
2013-09-27, 11:25 PM
I like the idea of a more primal Paladin who eschews the more 'civilized' methods for 'primitive' ones. However, this doesn't really feel like it fits to that concept very well. What you get is essentially a Paladin who uses his fists and not much more. This feels too much like a normal Paladin. I think some of the more knightly aspects of the Paladin should be excised in exchange for more down-and-dirty abilities

These are just suggestions, because I really like the idea of the archetype, but in my opinion it doesn't really feel like it measures up to it's full potential. These are just my ideas, if you want to use them you can, and if you don't, well you don't have to. :smallsmile:

First thing I'd change is the armor proficiency. When I think primal, I tend more towards lighter armors and not the full plate of the knight. Also, unless you plan on changing the Paladin's devotion to Good as a concept, I'd change Flurry of Fists to not replace anything (that's taken care of by the much more limited weapon and armor choices)

I'd also make the Blessed Pugilist replace a few more things.

Here are some ideas:

Class Skills Blessed Pugilists are less adept in the ways of the higher classes of society and prefer practicality to social graces. They lose Diplomacy and Knowledge (Nobility) as class skills but gain Survival, Knowledge (Nature) and Perception

Scent Evil (Su):
Blessed Pugilists do not merely detect evil by scanning for the auras that indicate it's existence; they know that evil exists in all places and that it merely needs to be detected. They learn how to distinguish evil by the tainted odor it leaves behind.

Blessed Pugilists gain the scent ability, however, they may only use it to detect and track creatures with an evil aura. Creatures with a faint aura have a survival DC of 20 to detect and each stronger aura decreases the DC by 5 (to a minimum of 0). Overwhelming auras can stun the Blessed Pugilist as detailed in detect evil, except that the Blessed Pugilist must also be within 60 ft of the aura and be capable of smelling. Overwhelming auras also disguise and muddle other lesser auras increasing the DC to find them by 10 (this is the same as the scent ability).

Scent Evil replaces Detect Evil