PDA

View Full Version : A note to the author

zaboron
2006-12-29, 04:52 PM
The use of the words "ORLY"; "OMGWTFBBQ"; and "PWNED" is not funny any more (it never was)

TinSoldier
2006-12-29, 04:53 PM
I thought it was funny.

zaboron
2006-12-29, 04:56 PM
I thought it was funny.
Well you probably still laugh about chuck norris jokes right?

TinSoldier
2006-12-29, 04:57 PM
Well you probably still laugh about chuck norris jokes right?Occasionally I do...

Probably because there are a whole lot of memes, that while they have been around for awhile, I probably missed when they first came out and so they aren't old to me.

Plus I don't hang out places on the internet where those kinds of things are overdone.

Khantalas
2006-12-29, 04:57 PM

Well, I do. I also found the joke funny.

Captain van der Decken
2006-12-29, 05:01 PM
I thought it was pretty good.
Partially because of TinSoldier's reason.

Plus I don't hang out places on the internet where those kinds of things are overdone.

Haarculaneaum
2006-12-29, 05:19 PM
Koresh --
Satire, people, satire.
Erfworld is a satirical comic. That's why there are dwagons instead of dragons. The use of ORLY, WTF, etc. is self-referential and ironic. The biggest difference between OOTS and Erf so far is that OOTS uses satire and Erfworld IS satire. Since satire annoys humorless folk, I can see why there are some fairly strong negative reactions to this comic.
To those folks I say:
WTF m4n? Kant chew teak a Jok-e-mon? Zippo up.
Haar

Khantalas
2006-12-29, 05:21 PM
I'm still waiting for a "two cows" joke.

Om
2006-12-29, 05:22 PM
The use of the words "ORLY"; "OMGWTFBBQ"; and "PWNED" is not funny any more (it never was)
And is this an established fact or merely the opinion of your good self?

Haarculaneaum
2006-12-29, 05:24 PM
It should be about how "tucows" are very rude and ruled over by the much more politik "vucows."
Haar

Brickwall
2006-12-29, 05:26 PM
:thog: "thog liked it"

robinmotion
2006-12-29, 06:20 PM

I LOVE chuck norris jokes. For their satirical irony. And 'cause they're ridiculous. What's not to love?

And I love Erfworld. For its satirical irony. And its ridiculousness.

Hmm. Coincidence . . . ?

silentknight
2006-12-29, 07:18 PM
I think that it is becoming very obvious that there are numerous people who do not enjoy Erfworld and specifically do not like the use of "cutesy" talk and 1337 speak. Okay. I encourage you to speak your mind, voice your opinion. I just hope that you are not trying to be the one and true voice. I suspect that there might be a couple of fans on this board that would disagree with you, if that was your intent.

Jorkens
2006-12-29, 08:01 PM
The way it's used in Erfworld doesn't make me laugh out loud in a "Ha ha! They're owls! And they're called Orlies! And the use forum speak like O RLY. Because they're Orlies. Oh my aching sides, that is so funny!" sort of way, it's more one of a lot of silly / surreal background jokes that keep me smiling all the way through the comic.

danielf
2006-12-29, 08:04 PM
i think it is very funny

pclips
2006-12-29, 08:19 PM
I LOVE chuck norris jokes. For their satirical irony. And 'cause they're ridiculous. What's not to love?

And I love Erfworld. For its satirical irony. And its ridiculousness.

Hmm. Coincidence . . . ?

I am trying so hard not to respond and all, but this thread's addressed right to me, and there's this great segue about the Chuck Norris jokes to illustrate my point.

Yes, chatspeak is pretty much played out. The original reasons why it was (or wasn't) funny are long gone and ollllllld. Don't need the news flash, thanks.

What you (zaboron) might not get is the concept of recontextualizing an old joke. You can present a tired joke in a new way and squeeze new humor out of it. Here's a PartiallyClips where I did exactly that with Chuck Norris jokes:

Discussing Chuck Norris (http://www.partiallyclips.com/index.php?id=1423)

It's not the repeating of the joke, see? It's the metahumor of it, the new context. I mean, light bulb jokes have been old for 30 years or more, but they're still making funny ones, often as metahumor (jokes about jokes).

Q: How many members of a certain demographic group does it take to perform a specified task?
A: A finite number: one to perform the task and an additional number to act in a manner stereotypical of the group in question.

Get it? There are levels to jokes. OMGWTFBBQ was possibly once funny because of the non-sequitur addition of "BBQ" at the end. Not funny any more, by itself.

But create a monster which is the living embodiment of chatspeak/13375P34K, and have it yell that as it's roasted alive? Funny, in the new context.

I mean if you don't get it, I'm sorry. You're not alone. But don't assume it's superficial. There's usually more to even my stupidest jokes than meets the eye.

I'll leave you with one more example, a bonus comic I did a couple of months ago, mocking the "I'm In Ur" meme with the freakin' cats:

I'm In Ur (http://www.partiallyclips.com/storage/partiallyclips_ideosphere.jpg)

TinSoldier
2006-12-29, 08:41 PM
Q: How many members of a certain demographic group does it take to perform a specified task?
A: A finite number: one to perform the task and an additional number to act in a manner stereotypical of the group in question.That is sooo sigged!

Estelindis
2006-12-29, 09:06 PM
OMGWTFBBQ was possibly once funny because of the non-sequitur addition of "BBQ" at the end.
This is precisely the reason I found it to be hilarious: because the BBQ was so unexpected. It was so wrong, yet so right. Although Erfworld has made me smile many times since it started, this was the first line that made me laugh. :)

IronMouse
2006-12-29, 11:04 PM
no...never funny

Djagir
2006-12-29, 11:11 PM
I'll admit, I don't think the overall humor of Erfworld has been up my alley. (I noted this in the Giant's opinion poll thread, along with reasons why, and then have been relatively quiet about it, because, well, it's my opinion and I suspect no one else cares about it all that much. :) However, I've been reading the comic when I think about it anyway, and, in the sake of all fairness, the "OMGWTFBBQ" in response to being roasted actually did make me crack a smile. Folks, if you don't like the comic, fine, don't read it--not everything can be all things to all people!--but for heaven's sake, don't go out of your way just to find things to carp about. One man's trash is another man's treasure, after all.

Wallyz
2006-12-30, 12:04 AM
Rob- I loved I'm in ur ideosphere, but no one else that i have shown it too got it. It's metahumor. It's Kaufman.

Rinion
2006-12-30, 05:45 AM
The use of the words "ORLY"; "OMGWTFBBQ"; and "PWNED" is not funny any more (it never was) You do realise you contradicted yourself, right?
But hey, I've got to hand it to you - you must be really insightful to be able to voice the world's opinion on something without having to ask them. What a gift that must be.

The use of abbreviations in the comic relies on circumstantial humour - just as the word "meat" is not funny in itself, yet it could be a source of humour, depending on what preceded it. Orlies are original and creative, and kudos go to the authors for coming up with them. Just because you don't enjoy satire doesn't mean that nobody does, right?

Shadow of the Sun
2006-12-30, 07:41 AM
Dude, get off your high-horse. WTF do you read the comic if you do not like it? Why do you post such idiotic critique threads on the forum instead of not reading it?

Journey
2006-12-30, 08:33 AM
I mean if you don't get it, I'm sorry. You're not alone. But don't assume it's superficial. There's usually more to even my stupidest jokes than meets the eye.

See the problem here is that you and some of the fans assume automatically that people who dislike the humor in your comic and think the humor is trivial aren't bright enough to "get it," as you repeatedly point out in this post. If people who didn't like the comic repeatedly implied the same thing about you or fans of the comic, they'd be banned. I know it's hard to take criticism of something you made that you think is just fantastic, but be realistic--just because people don't care for the humor doesn't mean they're incapable of understanding what the jokes are.

I--and quite probably most of the rest of us who dislike the comic--understand what you mean about squeezing more humor out of a dead joke. It's just that we think you're wrong. You aren't actually squeezing any new humor out of it. It's possible to, but you've failed at it, in my opinion (and clearly I'm not alone).

Badmofo
2006-12-30, 09:12 AM
It has man eatting peeps. MAN EATTING PEEPS! That's funny!

charles
2006-12-30, 10:41 AM
Rob,

I think you need to take Richard's stand on forums like this and just not reply to stuff like this about your own work. It only encourages them and never leads to anything good. I'm pretty sure he had heaps of complaints about OoTS character Haley's gibberish but never replied to it.

Keep to positive replies to positive posts. It'll grind at you not to say anything but it works out for the best.

(On a side note, I love how they complain about the comic like mad and yet they're reading it each day to know what happens next and what they can complain about. Any complaints they post are poisoned by that fact alone.)

And in case no-one noticed, I think the 1337 chat pretty much ended in this comic thanks to a weally big wed dwagon. Dey taut dey saw a puddy tat, bud it wus a beeeg dwagon! (although it'll probably show up again, once in a while).

prufock
2006-12-30, 10:51 AM
See the problem here is that you and some of the fans assume automatically that people who dislike the humor in your comic and think the humor is trivial aren't bright enough to "get it," as you repeatedly point out in this post. If people who didn't like the comic repeatedly implied the same thing about you or fans of the comic, they'd be banned. I know it's hard to take criticism of something you made that you think is just fantastic, but be realistic--just because people don't care for the humor doesn't mean they're incapable of understanding what the jokes are.

I--and quite probably most of the rest of us who dislike the comic--understand what you mean about squeezing more humor out of a dead joke. It's just that we think you're wrong. You aren't actually squeezing any new humor out of it. It's possible to, but you've failed at it, in my opinion (and clearly I'm not alone).

I agree. I "get it," but still don't find it funny, the same way I don't find it funny when someone types "OH NOES!!!!111!!one!"
I'd also add that if you have to explain your joke, that kind of sucks the humour out of it right there.

Rinion
2006-12-30, 01:43 PM
But, then again, the 7331 speak was not meant to be a punchline in itself - it was just a humourous (to some, at least) addition. Some people find it funny, some don't, but the fact remains that the 7331 speak does not affect the comic as a whole in any way. It's just a side attraction to some people, and means nothing to others.

I have no idea why someone decided it was important enough to devote an entire thread to it.

Renegade Paladin
2006-12-30, 03:06 PM
http://www.libriumarcana.com/Uploads/Rogue/Pictures/JPEGs/Owls/owlorly15ra.jpg

(Sorry, couldn't resist. :smallbiggrin:)

jami
2006-12-30, 04:02 PM

A note to Zaboron.

http://www.jamihn.com/erfworld/note.gif

TinSoldier
2006-12-30, 04:51 PM
Renegade Paladin: Bwahahahahaha!

and

http://static.flickr.com/33/51968898_2fd1e661d8_m.jpg

Azukar
2006-12-30, 06:56 PM
(I think we drowneded Zabron in counter-criticism...)

Mitheria
2006-12-31, 02:14 AM
I thought it was hilarious myself. Especially since it took me a second to make the ORLY noise in my head... then I busted out laughing. It's been a while so it caught me by surprise. I love stuff like that.

I'll leave you with one more example, a bonus comic I did a couple of months ago, mocking the "I'm In Ur" meme with the freakin' cats:

Of course, I still laugh every time I think about the cats too so take from that what you will :P

Dao Jones
2006-12-31, 11:26 AM
You know what I don't get? People who go to a place where people who like something congregate, then publically proclaim they don't like that thing that many others there like. I'll bet the OP goes to concerts and just stands around on the fringe saying "nope... don't like this type of music at all, nosireebob. This "music" they're playing? Blah - it's just noise."

Dude. Buddy. Skipper. Ace. We don't care that you don't like it. We (and I'm comfortable speaking on behalf of all the Erfworld Idiots - thanks for the permission guys!) just don't care that you're not a fan. We don't. It's okay. You don't need to enjoy it. That just leaves more enjoyment for the rest of us. Mmm mmm! That's some savory enjoyment right there.

[Scrubbed]

Erfworld creators: I've told you this privately, and I echo it publically - you are doing an awesome job, your strip rocks, and people are laughing.

Yarly.

Xaspian
2006-12-31, 02:21 PM
*Agrees with Dao Jones*

prufock
2007-01-01, 12:21 AM
You know what I don't get? People who go to a place where people who like something congregate, then publically proclaim they don't like that thing that many others there like. I'll bet the OP goes to concerts and just stands around on the fringe saying "nope... don't like this type of music at all, nosireebob. This "music" they're playing? Blah - it's just noise."

Dude. Buddy. Skipper. Ace. We don't care that you don't like it. We (and I'm comfortable speaking on behalf of all the Erfworld Idiots - thanks for the permission guys!) just don't care that you're not a fan. We don't. It's okay. You don't need to enjoy it. That just leaves more enjoyment for the rest of us. Mmm mmm! That's some savory enjoyment right there.

So please. The next time one of you super awesome people feels the burning need to tell us something we neither want nor need to know, just go ahead and keep that big super cool batch of thought right up in your lil ole' noggin, mmkay? Because sometimes it's good to have an inner monologue, and not spew out every little idea that bounces around inside your head. Thanks a bunch!

I'm pretty sure the forum is open for opinions, whether criticism or flattery, and telling someone to shut up is a warning offense.

Adrius
2007-01-01, 12:24 AM
Well, I do. I also found the joke funny.
Likewise. It was really the situation. If it was some guy just standing around in the hippiemancer compound saying that for no reason I would not have laughed. The situation made it hilarious, I laughed quite loud.

EDIT:

What you (zaboron) might not get is the concept of recontextualizing an old joke. You can present a tired joke in a new way and squeeze new humor out of it.
[...]
But create a monster which is the living embodiment of chatspeak/13375P34K, and have it yell that as it's roasted alive? Funny, in the new context.

Extremely funny. You sir, win. <3

Dao Jones
2007-01-01, 01:38 AM
I'm pretty sure the forum is open for opinions, whether criticism or flattery, and telling someone to shut up is a warning offense.

I addressed unconstructive criticism with an unconstructive suggestion. And, you'll note, my opinion that the OP's opinion is essentially unneeded is equally as valid as the OP's.

Look - everyone is entitled to an opinion, sure. But please explain to me what in God's name is the point in going to a forum primarily populated by Erfworld fans and making a comment as essentially useless as "hey Erfworld author! X idea you had was lame! KTHXBAI!" How does it broaden the discussion? How does it enrich the mind? What purpose did it serve other than to promote inflammatory responses?

[Scrubbed]

Renegade Paladin
2007-01-01, 03:46 AM
Renegade Paladin: Bwahahahahaha!

and

[IMG]http://static.flickr.com/33/51968898_2fd1e661d8_m.jpg[IMG]
http://www.libriumarcana.com/Uploads/Rogue/Pictures/JPEGs/Owls/owlnowai18hh.jpg

Skydiving_Ninja
2007-01-01, 10:24 AM
I didn't find the birds shouting "ORLY!" as they were attacking the skeletons that funny, but when they're being burned and shouting "PWND!" and "OMGWTFBBQ!", I found it hilarious.

Dragor
2007-01-01, 10:34 AM
Come on, you must have had a heart of stone not to laugh at the owls.

Personally, I found it hilarious. It's silly humour. That's the whole point. You don't need a long, twisted reason for it- the owls go O RLY? OMGWTFBBQ! That's strange! Why are they doing that? Hey, that's pretty funny.

That's how my mind went, however. Call me a dunce, but keep it up with the humour- don't give in just because some ne'er do well says "Well, man, I think your humour sucks." (along those lines.) Do what you think is right, and don't get put down.

I may not have the badge, but I am DEFINETLY an Erfworld Idiot. At heart, anyway.

Learnedguy
2007-01-01, 11:23 AM
I thought the BBQ was rather tounge in cheek. WHy would a O RLY owl NOT say wtfbbg when it's turned into a gourme dinner for dwagons?

As a sidenote, isn't it funny how threads like these backfires?

zaboron
2007-01-01, 11:41 AM
Lots of words
You seem to know a lot about the theory of funny. Still, some might prefer original humour to recycled comedy.

As the "In ur base" and "chuck norris" example proves, you are just jumping on the internet trend bandwagon, which is the sign of a weak comedian. A true artist doesnt need "recontextualizing old jokes", he creates his own.

True, some people might think OMGWTFBBQ "dwagons" and "orlies" are funny. Doesn't need to mean a lot, considering everything that is considered "humour" nowadays.

P.S.: Just trying to show off as an elitist prick here

Renegade Paladin
2007-01-01, 11:59 AM
http://www.libriumarcana.com/Uploads/Rogue/Pictures/JPEGs/condescend.jpg
:smallamused:

prufock
2007-01-01, 01:35 PM
I addressed unconstructive criticism with an unconstructive suggestion. And, you'll note, my opinion that the OP's opinion is essentially unneeded is equally as valid as the OP's.
You made a forum offense, and as far as I can tell, he didn't. He criticized the humour of a comic, you criticized the poster. I'm not a mod, my comment was just a heads up that, "Hey, don't be surprised if you get a warning."

Look - everyone is entitled to an opinion, sure. But please explain to me what in God's name is the point in going to a forum primarily populated by Erfworld fans and making a comment as essentially useless as "hey Erfworld author! X idea you had was lame! KTHXBAI!" How does it broaden the discussion? How does it enrich the mind? What purpose did it serve other than to promote inflammatory responses?
It's a valid criticism, even if it isn't constructive. Zabron may even be a fan of the comic as a whole, and just took issue with one aspect. What's the point? Well, if the authors want to make a good comic, they need to know what doesn't work as well as what does. Not everyone's going to agree, but it seems your comment was addressed more to the fact that Zabron expressed a minority opinion than the idea that it wasn't valid.

Let's be honest. The OP is nothing more than a forum twoll.
That could be true. I don't spend much time on the Erfworld part of the forum, so I don't know Zabron's posting history. I don't want to get into a whole thing over this, as I said, it was just a heads up and a suggestion to maybe browse over the rules again.

Be cool,
Prufock

Toric
2007-01-01, 01:47 PM
Time to add my two cents. I'm Toric, and I'm and Erfworld Idiot. (Hi, Toric!) I don't mind people saying they don't find Erfworld funny. That's fine, you've all got the right to not laugh. What irks me is saying that the humor presented in the comic is not - and never was - funny. Some of the posters on page 1 pointed this out: what's ticking everybody off isn't that the guy is saying Erfworld isn't making him laugh, but that he's implying that the phrase "ORLY" never elicited so much as a chuckle throughout any time and that the author is a no-talent hack for having attempted to make a joke using it. The OP jumped from the assertion that he didn't find it funny to the assertion that nobody aside from the author thought it was funny.

In short, if you want to give your opinion, go right ahead more power to ya, just don't state it like it's a universal fact.

motorfirebox
2007-01-02, 12:31 AM
silence, toe-slobbering noisebags! the humor Hitler has spoken! anyone found laughing at the aforementioned jokes will be made into a pie!

Maurog
2007-01-02, 02:26 AM
I would just like to point out that my Fruit Pie form will be both angry and vengeful, and will retain all of my spellcasting powers.

The Giant
2007-01-02, 03:55 PM
Voice of Mod: Yeah, I'm gonna go ahead and call this one over.