PDA

View Full Version : Easiest Sorcerer Fix Ever [3.5 Class Feature]

Falco1029
2013-10-01, 02:24 AM
To note first, I know full well a Sorcerer doesn't need to be 'fixed' when compared to anything other than a Wizard, Cleric, or Druid, but regardless, just bear with me. This is more a 'flavor' fix to make it interesting to play them than it is any balance requirement.

Whatever the case, one "Advantage" I've always noticed that a Sorcerer has is that there's no real disadvantage to taking levels in a full caster-progression Prestige class (minus losing some familiar improvement, but let's be honest, that raven is never taking on a dragon for you anyway), so it led me to this very easy method of making them a bit more interesting to play. This ability is gained at level 3-4 or so on the character chart, to avoid multiclass cheese.

As another option, if you're looking for balance, this becomes an Alternative Class Feature, replacing the Familiar.

Prestige Master: A sorcerer's innate capabilities and lack of required training gives him plenty of time to look into new methods of gaining power, whether through rare forms of magic, training in discrete orders, or connection to extra-planar entities.

Because of this, they're well suited to taking on Prestige Classes; they may enter any prestige class earlier, ignoring a single skill requirement, a single spell or spell level requirement, or a single feat requirement (So long as the feat isn't referenced by class abilities). Alternatively, they may enter a casting prestige class as normal, but may add a single '+1 level of existing Sorcerer class' entry to caster level progression where a casting level is normally not gained.

For instance, a Sorcerer may become a Loremaster with only a single Knowledge at 10 ranks, or with one less feat, or they could become a Palemaster and gain a level of spellcasting advancement at all levels instead of all but the first.

This ability only works once; that is, once it's been used on one prestige class, it may not be used on any further ones gained later.

The idea here is to open up further options for Sorcerer customization; suddenly there's a LOT more prestige class options for you, and some that are simply available earlier and more easily. And this is much easier than trying to design class features for Sorcerers; after all, why bother when there are so many prestige classes well-suited for sorcerers already?

illyahr
2013-10-01, 01:16 PM
Actually, I fall into the opposite camp. I think Sorcerers are too easy already. Sure, a Wizard, Cleric or Druid has more versatility as far as spells they have access to, but the ability to spontaneously cast any spell they know at any given time, as well as having more spells per day than any of the other casting classes, is an incredibly potent tool.

I would say that, since Sorcerer spellcasting is innate, they gain spellcasting levels at every level in classes that allow arcane progression (at every level instead of every other level, etc.). However, they would have some of the weaknesses of whatever bloodline they draw power from. For example, a Sorcerer who draws power from a fae bloodline would take extra damage from cold iron and Druids would get a bonus to their saves due to Resist Nature's Lure.

What do you think?

DeAnno
2013-10-01, 03:48 PM
I would personally be in favor of solutions that gave them class features of some kind at levels 7-20, so you can play them the old prestiging way if you want (and its basically unchanged), but a "flexible" Sorc 20 becomes a reasonable option. It'd have lots of bonus feats, and maybe some options for things like Wizard-esque specialization or damage/die bonuses. I might write this up at some point, not sure.

Winds
2013-10-01, 05:03 PM
An interesting idea, though I'd be careful about that second one. Granting full casting to a mundane PrC, for example, could lead to unexpected problems. Just look at the DmG classes, all of which I filed under 'interesting, but impractical'. The Dragon Disciple, for example. The only requirements are 'not part-dragon', 'speaks Draconic', and '8 ranks knowledge Arcane'. It's not that great for anyone who could get it easily, because you spend the next ten levels gaining things that don't help spellcasters. The ability boosts are good, but not worth dropping ten levels of a class that grants something useful to your role. (Whatever that is.) When you add prestige master, though, it means pretty much every Sorcerer player is going to spend four levels as a useful caster, then five to fourteen becoming a demigod caster, who is also half-dragon. Maybe three/fourths progression is better. Give them reason to advance with that method, but not turn every PrC a Sorc. can reach into a 'I win' button even larger than dedicated casters usually get.

Falco1029
2013-10-01, 05:49 PM
I would say that, since Sorcerer spellcasting is innate, they gain spellcasting levels at every level in classes that allow arcane progression (at every level instead of every other level, etc.). However, they would have some of the weaknesses of whatever bloodline they draw power from. For example, a Sorcerer who draws power from a fae bloodline would take extra damage from cold iron and Druids would get a bonus to their saves due to Resist Nature's Lure.

What do you think?

That could be interesting as another way to balance the feature out, definitely, depending how potent you made the ability

I would personally be in favor of solutions that gave them class features of some kind at levels 7-20, so you can play them the old prestiging way if you want (and its basically unchanged), but a "flexible" Sorc 20 becomes a reasonable option. It'd have lots of bonus feats, and maybe some options for things like Wizard-esque specialization or damage/die bonuses. I might write this up at some point, not sure.

That's the ideal way to fix a Sorcerer, definitely, but the point behind this one was a 'quick fix', rather than a progression I'd need to write out. That being said, I'd love to see it if you yourself write something up. I know there's something like that in Pathfinder already but an alternative for 3.5 would be cool.

An interesting idea, though I'd be careful about that second one. Granting full casting to a mundane PrC, for example, could lead to unexpected problems. Just look at the DmG classes, all of which I filed under 'interesting, but impractical'. The Dragon Disciple, for example. The only requirements are 'not part-dragon', 'speaks Draconic', and '8 ranks knowledge Arcane'. It's not that great for anyone who could get it easily, because you spend the next ten levels gaining things that don't help spellcasters. The ability boosts are good, but not worth dropping ten levels of a class that grants something useful to your role. (Whatever that is.) When you add prestige master, though, it means pretty much every Sorcerer player is going to spend four levels as a useful caster, then five to fourteen becoming a demigod caster, who is also half-dragon. Maybe three/fourths progression is better. Give them reason to advance with that method, but not turn every PrC a Sorc. can reach into a 'I win' button even larger than dedicated casters usually get.

I think you misunderstood. This ability isn't as powerful as you interpreted, it adds ONE extra level of caster progression; it's meant to cancel out the 'single level loss' that a lot of prestige classes have, but for a half-level progression it'd only add a single extra casting level. So, if you'd normally get 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, you might add in progression at level 2. For Dragon Disciple, it'd become nothing more than a useful dip (one level of casting progression and some resilience).

ddude987
2013-10-01, 06:01 PM
Seems like a cool idea, but it feels more like a bandaid to the problem than a fix, if you consider what sorcerers have a problem. As others stated, a real solution would be class features.
Here is my idea to a quick sorcerer fix for those that are interesting:
d6 hit die
bonus feats as wizard with the addition:
level 1 bonus feat: chose a heritage feat from fey, dragon, demon, angelic. (am I missing any racial heritages that sorcerers inherit power from?)
at levels 5, 10, 15, 20 bonus feats as wizard with the addition they can chose a heritage feat instead that has the prerequisite of their level 1 heritage feat.
Also buff all the heritage feats, except dragon because that one seems good, to be generally more useful.

Just to Browse
2013-10-01, 07:48 PM
Yes. This is a great idea. I've always felt like the sorcerer is the "fighter" of spellcasters, getting a bunch of flexible-at-creation benefits and existing basically as a dip or bounce for other PrCs.

Adding this "fix" doesn't make the sorcerer any better as a class, but now players have a reason to take it instead of going wizard, plus it cements the role of the sorcerer as a bounce class.

My only problem with this is that there's still no benefit for going beyond the class feature. Since it's the only feature, and a level 3 player starting sorc shouldn't feel bad compared to a level 3 player starting wiz, you actually should probably hand this out at level two, that way a player can PrC at level 3 and have an extra goody while the wizard gets his new level of spells. Of course, doing that means most builds will be (like most fighter builds) "Sorc2/Other dips", which is a little disappointing. Even for this quick fix, I recommend adding some other feature that encourages players to build sorcerer at level 3, then put in the PrC ability at level 4 and accept that all sorcerers are probably going to take 3-4 levels only.

Falco1029
2013-10-01, 08:17 PM
Seems like a cool idea, but it feels more like a bandaid to the problem than a fix, if you consider what sorcerers have a problem. As others stated, a real solution would be class features.
Here is my idea to a quick sorcerer fix for those that are interesting:
d6 hit die
bonus feats as wizard with the addition:
level 1 bonus feat: chose a heritage feat from fey, dragon, demon, angelic. (am I missing any racial heritages that sorcerers inherit power from?)
at levels 5, 10, 15, 20 bonus feats as wizard with the addition they can chose a heritage feat instead that has the prerequisite of their level 1 heritage feat.
Also buff all the heritage feats, except dragon because that one seems good, to be generally more useful.

Yeah, like I said, it's pretty much a quick fix, a bandaid as you put it. Honestly, I consider full-progression prestige sorcerers to be mainly sorcerers, though, since that's where the majority of their power comes form, their spell list.

My only problem with this is that there's still no benefit for going beyond the class feature. Since it's the only feature, and a level 3 player starting sorc shouldn't feel bad compared to a level 3 player starting wiz, you actually should probably hand this out at level two, that way a player can PrC at level 3 and have an extra goody while the wizard gets his new level of spells. Of course, doing that means most builds will be (like most fighter builds) "Sorc2/Other dips", which is a little disappointing. Even for this quick fix, I recommend adding some other feature that encourages players to build sorcerer at level 3, then put in the PrC ability at level 4 and accept that all sorcerers are probably going to take 3-4 levels only.

Yeah, that's the thing, I didn't want to make Sorcerer a dip for easier prestige classes for everyone (Not that any spellcasters really want to dip into sorcerer and lose their own spells anyway).

As for something at level 2-3, maybe something minor along the lines of 'free cantrips', that is, at level 3+ they have unlimited spells per day for 0th level. Kinda directly ripped from pathfinder, i know, but it'd be something; while the wizard's preparing detect magic as many times as he thinks he needs it, the sorcerer can cast prestidigitation, turn the wizard's spellbook colors and then detect anything he wants with another casting. A minor benefit, but noteworthy at level 3.

Fizban
2013-10-01, 10:17 PM
My thought when I heard "easiest sorcerer fix:" every sorcerer gets a free level of sorcerer at 3rd (that doesn't count towards ECL, obviously). Now they're tougher than wizards, have more brute force CL, and get their spells at the correct level. Does not require rebuilding any tables or doing any other work.

OP is good too, lets sorcerers actually take a number of the sorcerer PrCs that were written by people that couldn't bother to look them up.

Amechra
2013-10-01, 10:35 PM
Hmm...

Maybe if the feature was rewritten as:

Arcane Wits [Ex]: BLA BLA BLA FLUFF HERE.

A Sorcerer may substitute their levels in Sorcerer + 3 in place of a skill requirement on any prestige class that either requires a certain caster level, the ability to cast arcane spells, the ability to cast spells of a certain level, or the ability to cast a specific spell to enter.

Sorcerous Inspiration [Ex]: BLA BLA BLA FLUFF HERE.

At 3rd level, a Sorcerer is considered to have a number of levels in the Sorcerer class equal to their actual levels in the Sorcerer class +1 for the purposes of spells known, spells per day, and the caster level for Sorcerer spells.

A Sorcerer may not have more effective levels in the Sorcerer class than their ECL, whether through progression through this feature or the spell progression of a given Prestige Class.

Just to Browse
2013-10-02, 03:09 PM
I think it would be easier to say "The first level a sorcerer takes that does not advance spellcasting instead advances his sorcerer casting by 1 level." Less confusing, seems to have the same effect.

Going sorc2/fighter1/sorc+1/PrC sounds pretty awesome if I get standard sorc casting. If you put the +1 sorc level at level 2, and then perhaps added the multiclassing bonus at level 3, you could encourage players to dip out of sorcerer for 1 level.

DeAnno
2013-10-02, 03:17 PM
I think it would be easier to say "The first level a sorcerer takes that does not advance spellcasting instead advances his sorcerer casting by 1 level." Less confusing, seems to have the same effect.

Perhaps amend that to "does not advance Sorcerer spellcasting"? It'd be a shame if you wanted to dip Paladin and the language tripped you up there, since you're sort of advancing Paladin spellcasting.

Also, I wrote up that idea for the improved base class version of the Sorcerer (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=306794) (it's possibly even compatible with this, since they're pretty orthogonal to each other).

Falco1029
2013-10-02, 05:33 PM
Hmm...

Maybe if the feature was rewritten as:

Arcane Wits [Ex]: BLA BLA BLA FLUFF HERE.

A Sorcerer may substitute their levels in Sorcerer + 3 in place of a skill requirement on any prestige class that either requires a certain caster level, the ability to cast arcane spells, the ability to cast spells of a certain level, or the ability to cast a specific spell to enter.

Sorcerous Inspiration [Ex]: BLA BLA BLA FLUFF HERE.

At 3rd level, a Sorcerer is considered to have a number of levels in the Sorcerer class equal to their actual levels in the Sorcerer class +1 for the purposes of spells known, spells per day, and the caster level for Sorcerer spells.

A Sorcerer may not have more effective levels in the Sorcerer class than their ECL, whether through progression through this feature or the spell progression of a given Prestige Class.

That does seem like a good way to rewrite it. An example would help, of course, but the ones I already provided could still apply to this.