PDA

View Full Version : Moon Elemental (Monster)

churchofbanjo
2006-12-30, 12:46 AM
Heys! This is my first serious homebrew, so please bear with me.

In my adaptation of the Forgotten Realms Campaign setting and others, the moon is going to play a big role, especially as (in this case) the source of magic. I decided that there needed to be beings of it, almost as if it were an energy type or an element. They would also, in the case of Forgotten Realms, serve the goddess Selune. As a result, I had the idea of the moon elemental. I pretty much took an air elemental, tweaked a fewe things, and copied and pasted from moon spells in Forgotten Realms Campaign Setting. After I did this, however, I decided that pure moonlight should be incorporeal. Then, with a bit more tweaking, I came out with this. I need troubleshooting, comments, add/subtract, and reactions. This was almost a spur of the moment thing, but if I could perfect this monster, then it would play a large role in my campaign. Eventually, I would make moon elemental monolith and primal moon elemental statistics. Well, the moment you've all been waiting for:

A glowing area of electric blue light flickers above the ground, casting eerie shadows upon everything. It forms the general shape of a humanoid, with two long tendrils of flickering light reaching towards you. As it passes through you, you feel an agonizing burst of cold.

Moon Elemental, Small
Small Elemental (Incorporeal, Extraplanar)
HD: 2d8 (9)
Initiative: +7
Speed: Fly 100 ft. (Perfect)
AC: 15 (+1 size, +3 Dex. +1 Deflection) touch 14, F.F. 14
Base Attack: +1
Attack: Moon touch +5 melee touch (1d6)
Full Attack: Moon touch +5 melee touch (1d6)
Special Attacks: Moon Beam Form, Moon touch, Night mastery, Lycanthrope Bane
Special Qualities: Scramble Magic 1/day, Immune to Electricity, Dispel Darkness, Darkvision 60 ft., Elemental Traits, Incorporeal
Saves: Fort. +0, Ref. +6, Will +0
Abilities: Str. N/A, Dex. 17, Con. 10, Int. 4, Wis. 11, Cha. 13
Skills: Listen+2, Spot+3
Feats: Improved Initiative, Flyby Attack, Weapon Finesse
Environment: Gates of the Moon
Organization: Solitary
CR: 1
Treasure: None
Alignment: Usually Neutral

Moon Elemental, Medium
Medium Elemental (Incorporeal, Extraplanar)
HD: 4d8+8 (26)
Initiative: +9
Speed: Fly 100 ft. (perfect)
AC: 19 (+5 Dex., +2 Def., +1 Dodge)
Base Attack: +3
Attack: Moon touch +8 melee touch (2d6)
Special Attacks: Moon Beam form, Night Mastery, Lycanthrope Bane
Special Qualities: Scramble Magic 2/day, Immune to Electricity, Dispel Darkness, Darkvision 60 ft., Elemental Traits, Incorporeal
Saves: Fort. +3, Ref. +9, Will +1
Abilities: Str. N/A, Dex. 21, Con. 14, Int. 4, Wis. 11, Cha. 14
Skills: Listen+3, Spot+4
Feats: Improved Initiative, Dodge, Flyby Attack, Weapon Finesse
CR: 3

Moon Elemental, Large
Large Elemental (Incorporeal, Extraplanar)
HD: 8d8+24 (60)
Initiative: +11
AC: 20 (-1 size, +7 Dex., +3 Def., +1 Dodge)
Base Attack: +6
Attack: Moon touch +12 melee touch (2d8)
Special Qualities: Scramble Magic 3/day, Immune to Electricity, Dispel Darkness, Darkvision 60 ft., Elemental Traits, Incorporeal, DR 5/-
Space/Reach: 10 ft./10 ft.
Saves: Fort. +5, Ref. +13, Will +2
Abilities: Str. N/A, Dex. 25, Con. 16, Int. 6, Wis. 11, Cha. 16
Skills: Listen+5, Spot+6
Feats: Improved Initiative, Dodge, Flyby Attack, Weapon Finesse, Combat Reflexes
CR: 5

Moon Elemental, Huge
Huge Elemental (Incorporeal, Extraplanar)
HD: 16d8+64 (136)
Initiative: +13
AC: 23 (-2 size, +9 Dex., +5 Def., +1 Dodge)
Base Attack: +12
Attack: Moon touch +19 melee touch (2d8)
Special Qualities: Scramble Magic 4/day, Immune to Electricity, Dispel Darkness, Darkvision 60 ft., Elemental Traits, Incorporeal, DR 5/-
Space/Reach: 15 ft./15 ft.
Saves: Fort. +9, Ref. +19, Will +5
Abilities: Str. N/A, Dex. 29, Con. 18, Int. 6, Wis. 11, Cha. 20
Skills: Listen+11, Spot+12
Feats: Improved Initiative, Dodge, Flyby Attack, Weapon Finesse, Combat Reflexes, Alertness, Mobility, Spring Attack
CR: 7

Moon Elemental, Greater
HD: 21d8+84 (178)
Initiative: +14
AC: 25 (-2 size, +10 Dex., +6 Def., +1 Dodge)
Base Attack: +15
Attack: Moon touch +23 melee touch (2d8)
Special Qualities: Scramble Magic 5/day, Immune to Electricity, Dispel Darkness, Darkvision 60 ft., Elemental Traits, Incorporeal, DR 10/-
Saves: Fort. +11, Ref. +22, Will +9
Abilities: Str. N/A, Dex. 31, Con. 18, Int. 8, Wis. 11, Cha. 22
Skills: Listen+14, Spot+14
Feats: Improved Initiative, Dodge, Flyby Attack, Weapon Finesse, Combat Reflexes, Alertness, Mobility, Spring Attack, Blind Fight, Iron Will
CR: 9

Moon Elemental, Elder
HD: 24d8+96 (204)
Initiative: +15
AC: 27 (-2 size, +11 Dex., +7 Def., +1 Dodge)
Base Attack: +18
Attack: Moon touch +27 melee touch (3d8)
Special Qualities: Scramble Magic 6/day, Immune to Electricity, Dispel Darkness, Darkvision 60 ft., Elemental Traits, Incorporeal, DR 10/-
Saves: Fort. +12, Ref. +25, Will +10
Abilities: Str. N/A, Dex. 33, Con. 18, Int. 10, Wis. 11, Cha. 24
Skills: Listen+29, Spot+29
Feats: Improved Initiative, Dodge, Flyby Attack, Weapon Finesse, Combat Reflexes, Alertness, Mobility, Spring Attack, Blind Fight, Iron Will, Improved Natural Attack
CR: 11

HD progression:
2-3 HD Small
4-7 HD Medium
8-15 HD Large
16-20 HD Huge
21-23 HD Greater
25-48 HD Elder

Moon Touch: Touch attack deals double damage to undead and shapechangers.
Scramble Magic Ability a couple times per day. Spellcaster must make concentration check (DC= Elemental HD+10) or ruins spells and takes away casting ability that round.
Moon Beam Form: The moon elemental takes the form of a long streak of moonlight, moving much faster. While in Moon Beam form, the elemental’s speed increases to 200 ft. and it may attack as many people with its Moon Touch as it may pass through in a single round.
Night Mastery: Enemies take a -1 penalty on attacks against the moon elemental if the moon is out.
Lycanthrope Bane: Lycanthropes must make a Will Save (DC 10+ elemental’s HD) or involuntarily assume animal form upon a successful hit with moon touch.
Dispel Darkness: Automatically targets all darkness spells it touches with dispel magic (Caster Level is equal to its HD)
Scramble Magic: As a standard action, a Moon Elemental may flare with moon energy a certain number of times per day. This flare of energy enters the minds of spellcasters and scrambles their ability to cast spell. A spellcaster must make a Concentration Check (DC 10+elemental’s HD)

KazilDarkeye
2006-12-30, 07:47 AM
May I ask why your Elder Moon Elemental has the same CR as the Greater Moon Elemental?

churchofbanjo
2006-12-30, 01:41 PM
... that was a mistake. I copied, pasted and changed to save time, and I probably forgot that, and... PRESTO! It's fixed. Thanks.

churchofbanjo
2007-01-01, 03:50 PM
No one? No critiques? I may have to adjust a couple things, but if you guys think it's good, that's fine.

XtheYeti
2007-01-02, 01:15 PM
if the moon is the source of magic this thing needs Spell like abilites

churchofbanjo
2007-01-02, 09:50 PM
Hmm... based on Charisma, probably. Or it could cast spells as a __ lvl Sorcerer. What do you think?

The Dirge
2007-01-05, 08:04 AM
Based on charisma

XtheYeti
2007-01-05, 08:27 AM
Hmm... based on Charisma, probably. Or it could cast spells as a __ lvl Sorcerer. What do you think?
Sor of lvl = to its hd

Proven_Paradox
2007-01-05, 02:29 PM
I would opt for you to go with a few spell-like abilities that fit the flavor of these elementals, charisma based naturally. Unfortunately not many come to mind at the moment, though I'd be surprised if there's not a published moon domain somewhere for you to start with.

Maryring
2007-01-05, 02:44 PM
Try some spells from the moon and night domains. I'm sure they could help you. Perhaps some light spells too.

churchofbanjo
2007-01-05, 08:25 PM
I've got moon domain, but not night domain. What are some in night domain? How would I keep the CRs relative to that of normal elementals? Unless it should be higher, but it would be nice if it fit in.

churchofbanjo
2007-01-16, 06:34 PM
Hmmm... I dunno. I guess I could raisr the CR, so long as I could keep it within 2 of the normal elemental CR.

churchofbanjo
2007-01-17, 09:24 PM
Fine, I guess I'll tweak it a little more, and then let this thread fall to the ends of the earth. Down... dooown... dooooooooown... DOWN! MUAHAHAHA!
(Until I replace it, with my NEXT HOMEBREW!)