PDA

View Full Version : Dvati Twins Template

asdflove
2013-10-06, 01:49 PM
Just turned the Dvati from Dragon Compendium into a template for my own uses. Thought I'd post it here. Carry on and have a nice day. :smallsmile:

Creating Dvati Twins
"Dvati Twins" is an inherited template that can be added to any humanoid creature (referred to hereafter as the base creature).
Dvati Twins use all the base creature’s statistics and special abilities except as noted here.

Special Qualities
-Twins: A "single" dvati is a pair of creatures that shares a soul. A dvati twin can no more exist without his soul partner than a human can live without a heart. The unique, spiritual link between a dvati pair has several important implications. A dvati character is actually two separate dvati twins who share a soul. These two creatures move and act separately but have a number of restrictions based on their connection. The dvati twins gain levels and progress in the same manner as a single creature of their base race. The twins share a class and both have the same level. The twins do not progress at a different rate, nor do they split XP between them. Rather, each has an identical XP total. When dividing XP among characters, a dvati counts as one PC. (Ex)

--Spell Link:When a dvati casts a spell, both members of the pair must focus and concentrate on it. Both twins must simultaneously take the actions required to cast a spell, although only one must supply material components. One twin cannot cast a spell while the other attacks, for example. A lone dvati can cast spells if his twin takes no actions while he casts. Any other sort of action, including a free one, makes it impossible for the casting twin to focus and use his spell. If the dvati tries to use a spell anyway, his casting attempt is ruined and the spell is lost. (Ex)

--Shared Health:The dvati twins divide their hit points between them. Each twin in the pair gains half the hit points from his Hit Die roll, although both gain the full benefits of his Constitution modifier. Do not roll Hit Dice separately for each dvati twin. For example, a 1st-level dvati fighter with a 13 Constitution gains 6 hit points for each twin ([10 hp / 2] +1 = 6). If an
area of effect spell catches both twins, they save separately and take damage as normal. (Ex)

--Shared Abilities: A pair of dvati twins shares all class abilities
and spells slots between them. Personal spells (those with a target of "you") affect both twins as long as they are on the same plane. Otherwise, they affect only the caster. Other spells function as normal. For example, a touch spell normally affects only the specific twin touched. The spell conductor
ability (detailed below) allows the dvati to share some spells. (Su)

--Mind Link: A mind-affecting ability or spell that affects one twin affects both of them. If a single such ability targets both twins at the same time, they make only one save between them. Dvati twins share one mind.
The dvati twins have an innate, powerful psychic connection. They can communicate via telepathy at an unlimited range and across the planes. A
twin cannot perceive what his other sees, hears, or otherwise perceives. As a full-round action, a dvati twin can determine his twin's current hit points and
mental state. If one twin is on the same plane as the other, the twin learns the relative direction and distance to his partner. If one dvati twin dies, the other slowly sickens and perishes. Each day that passes after a dvati
twin dies, the surviving twin takes 1d4 points of Constitution and Wisdom damage and takes a cumulative -1 penalty on attack rolls, skill checks, and saving throws. The ability damage and penalties remain (and cannot be healed or removed) until the living twin dies or his soulmate returns to life (at
which time they immediately disappear). Most dvati prefer to commit ritual suicide if one twin dies without hope of return, as the pain of losing the close bond drives a dvati to the brink of madness. (Ex)

--Seperate Bodies: In most cases, an effect that applies to one twin fails to spill over to the other. Negative levels are an exception to this rule. If one dvati twin suffers a negative level, both of them incur its effects. The dvati makes one save to remove the negative level. Level loss caused by returning to life via a raise dead or similar spell affects both dvati twins. (Ex)

Automatic Languages
Dvati. Dvati requires two creatures speaking simultaneously. One twin provides a description of actions, while the other supplies words and descriptions of things. The two weave together to communicate in a uniquely dvati manner. Other creatures can speak this tongue, but two Dvati-speaking creatures must work together. Otherwise, communication via this language is
impossible.

Abilities
-Darkvision: Dvati can see in the dark to a range of up to 60 feet. Darkvision is black and white only, but it is otherwise like normal sight, and dvati can function just fine with no light at all. (Ex)

-Echo Attack: By combining their voices into one maddening cacophony, a pair of dvati twins can confuse a creature they flank. If both twins speak as a move action while flanking an opponent, that creature must make a Will save. The DC of this save equals the result of a single Perform (sing) check
made by the dvati. If the save fails, the twins gain their choice of a +1 bonus on attack rolls against the creature or a +1 bonus to Armor Class against
the creature's strikes. This bonus lasts for 1 round. Creatures that cannot hear or be flanked are immune to this effect. (Ex)

-Pair Link: The close relationship between dvati twins grants them several benefits when they work together. If two dvati twins team up to flank an opponent, they each gain a +3 bonus on attack rolls, rather than the normal +2 bonus. If a twin uses the aid another action to help his twin, he grants an
additional +2 bonus (for a total of +4) on attack rolls or to Armor Class. (Ex)

-Spell Conductor: A dvati twin can choose to shift a spell that affects him to his twin so long as both of them are on the same plane. The shifted spell must have a range of touch and it must also be harmless. Using this ability requires a move action to focus and channel the spell's power. Aside from the change in target, the spell's duration and effects continue as normal. A dvati can transfer a spell he casts from one twin to the other as part of the act of casting. He cannot transfer spells used by others. (Su)

Challenge Rating
Same as base creature

Alignment
Usually Neutral (Any)

Level Adjustment
Same as base creature +1.

dethkruzer
2013-10-06, 02:03 PM
interesting. Is there any more fluff for this?

Zelkon
2013-10-06, 04:11 PM
interesting. Is there any more fluff for this?

Yeah, it's part of the original race from Dragon Mag. I forget it right now, but it's probably on the Googles somewhere.

gurgleflep
2013-10-06, 04:21 PM
I've actually read the Dvati from the Dragon Compendium and liked it a fair bit, so this is awesome and relative to my interests :smallsmile: I don't know how, but I'm going to find a way to use this!

Hmmm.... Orc dvati barbarians?
Drow dvati psions?
Frost giant dvati ninjas?! :smallbiggrin:

asdflove
2013-10-06, 05:59 PM
I've actually read the Dvati from the Dragon Compendium and liked it a fair bit, so this is awesome and relative to my interests :smallsmile: I don't know how, but I'm going to find a way to use this!

Hmmm.... Orc dvati barbarians?
Drow dvati psions?
Frost giant dvati ninjas?! :smallbiggrin:
For me it's star elf dvati. I really only made this so I could have dvati of other races.

Debihuman
2013-10-07, 08:20 PM
Dvati is a race and I'm not sure why you made it a template but okay.

Technically, the template should only apply to Humanoids. Why does your template change them to Fey? From Dragon Compendium page 14, "Dvati are a strange race of humanoid creatures found in small enclaves scattered throughout the world and across the planes." In order to have the Augmented Subtype (Augmented Humanoid) they would have to be Humanoid to start. This template makes no sense from the get-go.

The dvati template would have to go on a Humanoid since it is an inherited Template and can only be taken at character generation. Until you decide what the Dvati subtype is, I'd be disinclined to allow this.

Also, when you make something a template, abilities are always noted as Ex, Su, or SP.

Debby